Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin tone : Olive age: 19-24
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

on 3/10/2016 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I got this in Classic Ivory, which has quite a clear yellow undertone and I'm super glad for that. It's not my perfect match, but it still matches really well. Besides, as the name suggests, the coverage is truly sheer, so even when the shade's a bit off, I can still get away with that. I only use it on my good skin days, when I don't have a lot of blemishes I want to cover, but for under eye darkness and other even mild discolourations, I would have to use a concealer. I still like it, because the main issue that I have is a lot of redness on my face, and the yellow undertone helps cancel it out quite well. So I reckon it's most suitable for people who's got good skin and prefer a light weight, natural, light coverage foundation and prefer to spot conceal over full coverage foundation.
The biggest beef I have with this is first of all, the coverage is literally very sheer. With a buffing brush (I've tried it with both the Real Techniques Buffing brush as well as the Expert Face brush, with both circular buffing and stamping motions), I cannot build up pass a very very light medium coverage. The good thing about it is it doesn't cake up very easily and are quite forgiving. When I first apply it, it may appear a bit powdery, I look flat, which is not something I like at all. But after a while, it soaks up a bit of moisture and oil on my face, and with an extra helping of mist, it completely melts into my skin. The finish is very natural, it just looks like I've got really good, healthy skin. I wouldn't say it's dewy, shiny or even satiny, it just looks like skin, my pores are not covred very well though, but they're minimised to a more acceptable degree. I was quite surprised because this is my first powder foundation ever, and I just could not believe that powder can offer such a finish. However, another problem arises. This foundation is very very very very dry. It feels dry in the pan, it doesn't swatch very well, and I must always mosisturise extra carefully prior to application, or else I would look like a dry overly powdered mess. The issue can be easily resolved by applying with a wet sponge, and I found that way I can immediately achieve the natural, skin-like finish without the setting spray. It's also easier to get the most coverage out of it in this fashion, but even so, since the powder is so dry, even with a damp sponge, I really have to use a bit of strength and scrape into the powder to pick up any product at all, it can be quite a struggle.
Packaging-wise, the powder compact is not compact at all. Due to the compartment for the mirror and the sponge, it's very big and bulky. I originally wanted to switch to powder foundations because travelling with liquid foundation bottles is too much of a pain, and this compact doesn't fulfill that. To make matter worse, the oil control is less than average, even with my usual trusted setting powder, I can see myself getting oily at around 2-3 hours, which means its oil control is even worse than some of my liquid foundations. At 6-7 hours an several blots and even extra sprays, it begins to break down, most visibly between my brows, on my cheeks and my pores look horrible. Double whammy, the powder is too dry for dry skin, and not enough for oily skin (I'm combination). Removing it is very easy though, so I use it on days when I feel quite good, I want to put something on but don't want to bother that much, and don't have the strength or the time to perform the usual rigorous cleansing ritual that liquid foundations would always require.
I got it on sale at a very good price, it's quite a good place to start and learn my ways around powder foundations I guess, so I don't regret it too terribly. But would I repurchase this? No I think not.

on 9/17/2015 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I have been using this power for almost 5 years now and I can honestly say that I have no reason to look for anything else! It sets foundation beautifully, has a natural finish, and super build able coverage! I do wish that it looked a little bit smoother on its own (not over foundation or BB cream) but c'est la vie! It drugstore and from a company that does not overload their products with crap ingredients. The packaging is pretty bland, but I buy it for the results! I have combination/oily skin and this keeps my skin pretty shine free (I say "pretty" because in certain areas I still get shine, but I can't tell if it's the powder's fault or the fact that I can get SUPER shiny in my T-zone, so who knows) I will continue to repurchase this product :)

on 11/10/2011 6:17:00 PM

this powder does'nt brake me out but it also does'nt really cover blemishes. its goood because it doesnt clog your pores however it doesn't really cover redness eather. this product is pretty good so i'll buy it agian

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I was skeptical about this product because i'm not usually a fan of neutrogena but i'm glad i did try this.This stays on all day and gives good coverage.I use the color Honey beige and I love it.I have oily skin and it keeps my oil at bay.I would buy this again.

on 4/15/2010 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

coverage: very light
Ideal for oily skin, because it will dry out dry skin (i have combo skin and this made the skin in my nose get flaky)
makes skin matte and has spf20 in it
overall I reallly like it its great for my oily skin since it was flaking me out a little
i put a good amount of moisturizer on to leave my skin feeling a bit oily..and then put the mineral powder on ..my skin feels smooth and shine free but moisturized...hope this helps

i use a kabuki brush to put it on ..i like it better that the sponge that it comes with..

on 10/10/2009 2:17:00 PM

i got this in natural beige and i really really like it. i use a little bit of maybelline dream liquid mousse foundation and then out the the neutrogena on top kind of like a finishing powder and its amazing. myskin looks really smooth and the combo matches my skin tone almost prefectly which is as good as it gets when it comes to drugstore foundation tones. it is a little more expensive than other drugstore brands but deff worth it. i dont use the sponge instead i use a mineral brush and it works tons better.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I like this, i have lots of yellow in my skin and its hard to find something without looking too orange, pink or gray), im a light skinned puerto rican and jamican and i never go in the sun. anyways its cheap. and i use it over the visibly even foundation(TOASTED HONEY, LOTS OF YELLOW). i like neutrogena because i dont have to worry about it breaking me out and its nice a velvety texure gives my skin a smooth look but not ashy and powdery, like bare minerals. plus its a compact, LOVE IT. i have the fresh face mineral luster, which was like 30$ even with my employee discount, and it looks grayish on me if i piled it on. i like this because i can take a sponge and tap it on my face to set my concealer with out it looking like a big powder blotch. ill buy it again, im pretty happy with neutrogena

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hello all. I'm new to this site, but I plan to consult it before any cosmetic purchase. I'm new to the whole "mineral foundation" scene. I've drooled at the Bare Escentuals informercials on tv many a time. I do NOT drool over the price, however, and decided to give a cheaper version a try. I have combination skin with a bit of uneveness and a few discolorations from healed acne.

I think I'm one of the only people who purchased this who didn't have a problem with the design or brush. Either my face has lost sensation or is reinforced with steel...I really thought the brush was very soft and nice-feeling. As for the product coming out in the center I just shake like there's no tomorrow and buff it all over my face in small circular motions. It takes a bit of exertion, but I can get it on evenly - and my right arm seems to be getting more and more toned :P

As far as the coverage goes...I'm pleased. Before I tried this I was a liquid foundation sort of gal. I LOVE the way a powder feels as opposed to a filmy of a liquid foundation. I do at times have a bit of trouble with this make-up covering those trouble spots. It does even out my face beautifully. Normally I have a hellish time finding a good match for my hispanic (medium tan-tan with yellow undertones) skin. The lightness and sheerness of this powder seems to adjust to my skin.

I'm pleased overall with neutrogena mineral sheers. Maybe I'd be thrilled if I quit being cheap and bought the high-end stuff.