Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium age: 19-24
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.9

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

While this powder foundation isn't perfect, I've come to accept that none are. I've been using Bare Escentuals (BE) for the last couple of years, but was never quite satisfied with how it felt on my skin and the color match.
1. Color Match
I tend to fall into the light/medium range with slight golden/olive undertones; my skin is pretty fair/sallow in the winter, but I do also get a significant tan in the summer. In BE, I wore Medium Beige, which I always felt was just a tad too pink for my skin tone. Not too long ago, BE came out with Golden Medium (the same shade roughly as Medium Beige, but a more yellow undertone). Unfortunately, this was WAY too yellow for my skin tone. I found that the color 040 works well for me during the fall/winter/spring and 060 Natural Beige during the summer. Both have just enough of the golden undertones that they complement into my natural tone.
2. Application
I use a kabuki brush to apply this all over my face. Overall, I really like the way this powder feels on my skin compared the BE. The BE always felt cakey and ,honestly, a little irritating. The texture of this powder is quite silky and blendable, yet goes on matte. The coverage is light to medium. I do find myself sometimes needing a (very light) mid-day blotting...I just use the sponge with little to no powder. It's great that it's a compact, because you can cart it anywhere.
3. Acne/Sensitive Skin
So this is why I've really stayed with this foundation. The coverage isn't as good as the BE, but this product works fabulously with my EXTREMELY acne-prone and sensitive skin. I can't use any products with fragrance, harsh ingredients, heavy fillers, etc. I have not had a breakout or irritation from this product. While it doesn't cure my hormonal breakouts, it certainly doesn't aggravate them.

Paula's Choice did a review of this product, which sparked my initial purchase. Here is that review: http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/neutrogena/Mineral-Sheers/_/Mineral-Sheers-Pressed-Powder-Foundation

I purchased mine at target for around $12: http://www.target.com/p/neutrogena-mineral-sheers-compact-powder-foundation/-/A-13653315

I generally like liquid foundations, but read that this was good for acne prone skin, so decided to give it a try. Honestly, it didn't do much for me. Buffed it on with a kabuki brush but even a couple of layers didn't really help cover redness or blemishes and actually accentuated the fine lines I've developed around my eyes from years of sun protection ignorance. It did help control my oily t-zone. I think this would look nice with something on underneath it. I wouldn't use this as a foundation, but it could work as a setting powder for me.

on 6/25/2014 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So, I bought this on a whim because I really needed a powder foundation that was affordable and budget friendly, as opposed to my usual MAC studio fix powder foundation.

My usual experiences with neutrogena have always been pleasant, plus this powder foundation is mineral, with it being talc free,fragrance free, paraben free,etc.
I noticed it said sheer on it, however I decided to give it a try anyway.

The packaging is very nice actually. For a drug store product it's very sturdy and you can tell it's not so cheap as other brand packaging. The mirror in the compact is great, and the sponge applicator too! However, I use my MAC sponge applicator with it and I find it works even better.

First, before all the application, I put on my usual day moisturizer, my ELF primer (which is great, wrote a review on it btw) and some pimple cream is needed.
Then I apply the make up.

The coverage is amazing. Even if it says sheer, it's light to medium coverage but you can definitely build it up WITHOUT it being Cakey or heavy. Trust me. I built up the coverage today. And it looks even smoother than MAC studio fix. If you need more coverage, I'd recommend putting concealer on the areas that need it. Like under eye circles, blemishes, etc. Then just pat the powder foundation on!

On certain areas that need more coverage on top of the concealer, just dab the powder foundation on repeatedly. I can say it works because I did all of this today. Haha.

With this product I really don't need foundation. Today, I'm only wearing this powder and I honestly look and feel even better! No more foundation for me.

I put my make up on early in the morning today, and it's still fresh till now! It is now 6:00 pm. It feels so light. Like my skin is actually breathing, compared to how I feel with studio fix on. My color is an NC 30, and with neutrogena powder foundation my color is natural ivory. Which matches perfectly. The price is okay, I can't complain since it offers good performance and is a heck of a lot cheaper than MAC.

I will definitely repurchase this again!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have to say this is an average powder that is sheer to medium buildable coverage. I intentionally bought this powder due to the SPF so that I can apply this over my face when I needed to reapply sunscreen. This powder is okay. If youre wearing sunglasses or glasses, it will definitely make it noticeable that youre wearing makeup, it leaves marks and indentations in the makeup... Overall it leaves a beautiful natural sheer finish that I like for staying out all day without any touchups.

on 11/12/2012 10:09:00 PM

Awesome Powder!
-I have the shade Natural Beige (I am a NC-30). I use it over the MAC prolong-wear concealer. Buff it into my face with an ELF powder brush.

Pros:
-love the way it blends into the skin
-very durable packaging
-nice mirror underneath
-shade matches great
-light to medium coverage depending on how much you pack on...layerable.
-lasts a pretty long time considering I have super oily skin...about 5hrs. I use the Urban Decay-deslick makeup setting spray before and after applying.

Cons:
-its about $10, but I wish it was a bit cheaper. but hey! it works great so I guess its worth it.
-powder pad that it comes with is useless (but so are most pads that come with other powders).
-can be cakey if you use too much, but if you continue to buff it out, it begins to look even.

on 8/21/2012 12:13:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I really like this product. When used in combination with liquid makeup (I use smashbox's hd currently) it really allows it to last all day. Helps cover up any blemishes, and looks great. I'm new to using a powder finish, but if it's not broke don't fix it. I'll be repurchasing!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm a really big Neutrogena fan. My skin is combination and I dont mean oily T-zone dry cheeks. Its oily and dry at the same time. But, I hate liquid foundations because of the heavy coverage and cakey finish they give me. I have never tried a powder, but hearing about how minerals are awesome, I thought I would give this a try. I'll review it in sections:
Packaging: I like it pretty well if you drop it, it won't break. But I personally have to kinda try to open it up. The mirror is so handy and a nice size. The sponge is pretty useless, so I gave that to my mom (Who likes them) and put some Mac eyeshadows that I always use in there. Perfect!
Coverage: Well, it does say "sheers" so I don't know what you're doing even looking this up if you want medium-heavy coverage. It can be a sheer coverage, but it's so buildable and goes up to medium without cakey. It gives the coverage that III need which is to hide my redness and oiliness - which it does nicely!
To wrap it up: It's a lovely product if you want to use it as a setting powder, or don't have too much acne and just want even, airbrushed, poreless, looking skin. The only reason I took a lippie off is because of the very matte finish, I prefer a bit of shine but my bronzer fixes that!

I was really hoping that this product would work out, but it wasn't the right product for me. I have oily skin that is acne prone. Pros of this product: great coverage. Cons: My skin was so much more oily when using this product. I typically blot my face with blotting papers once or twice throughout the day; with this makeup I literally would blot my face and an hour later, it looked oily again : ( So, if you have oily skin, this is not the product for you. Also, it sort of made my face itch a little here and there.

I really wish this product worked better for me. But, if you don't have oily skin, I'd recommend this product! : )

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't generally give products 5s, but this one deserves it. I've been using this powder for four years now, and haven't found anything that compares for my oily, yellow-toned fair complexion. I use Nude 40 (note: when I first started wearing MU I used shades 20 or 30, which were both too pale and pink >.< ) I can wear it on its own for light coverage, or use it to set my tinted moisturizer for medium coverage.
Note: when you first apply it, it will look chalky and makeup-y. After an hour or so it settles into my skin and looks flawless and really natural. This in itself is a small miracle, as I soak through most other powders in an hour.
IT DOES NOT BREAK ME OUT HALLELUJAH! :D lol
It won't cover acne pimples (I use MAC studio finish concealer in NC25 for that), but it does sheer out scars and cover up flat areas of redness and blotchiness so I don't need to use much concealer at all.
I'd really recommend this to anyone looking for a good basic makeup.

on 5/8/2011 7:15:00 PM

Gives decent sheer coverage, but makes me look very cakey! Settles in dry patches, but does a fairly good job evening out skin color. Probably won't be purchasing again.