Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone age: 19-24
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

4.3

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

While this powder foundation isn't perfect, I've come to accept that none are. I've been using Bare Escentuals (BE) for the last couple of years, but was never quite satisfied with how it felt on my skin and the color match.
1. Color Match
I tend to fall into the light/medium range with slight golden/olive undertones; my skin is pretty fair/sallow in the winter, but I do also get a significant tan in the summer. In BE, I wore Medium Beige, which I always felt was just a tad too pink for my skin tone. Not too long ago, BE came out with Golden Medium (the same shade roughly as Medium Beige, but a more yellow undertone). Unfortunately, this was WAY too yellow for my skin tone. I found that the color 040 works well for me during the fall/winter/spring and 060 Natural Beige during the summer. Both have just enough of the golden undertones that they complement into my natural tone.
2. Application
I use a kabuki brush to apply this all over my face. Overall, I really like the way this powder feels on my skin compared the BE. The BE always felt cakey and ,honestly, a little irritating. The texture of this powder is quite silky and blendable, yet goes on matte. The coverage is light to medium. I do find myself sometimes needing a (very light) mid-day blotting...I just use the sponge with little to no powder. It's great that it's a compact, because you can cart it anywhere.
3. Acne/Sensitive Skin
So this is why I've really stayed with this foundation. The coverage isn't as good as the BE, but this product works fabulously with my EXTREMELY acne-prone and sensitive skin. I can't use any products with fragrance, harsh ingredients, heavy fillers, etc. I have not had a breakout or irritation from this product. While it doesn't cure my hormonal breakouts, it certainly doesn't aggravate them.

Paula's Choice did a review of this product, which sparked my initial purchase. Here is that review: http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/neutrogena/Mineral-Sheers/_/Mineral-Sheers-Pressed-Powder-Foundation

I purchased mine at target for around $12: http://www.target.com/p/neutrogena-mineral-sheers-compact-powder-foundation/-/A-13653315

on 11/12/2012 10:09:00 PM

Awesome Powder!
-I have the shade Natural Beige (I am a NC-30). I use it over the MAC prolong-wear concealer. Buff it into my face with an ELF powder brush.

Pros:
-love the way it blends into the skin
-very durable packaging
-nice mirror underneath
-shade matches great
-light to medium coverage depending on how much you pack on...layerable.
-lasts a pretty long time considering I have super oily skin...about 5hrs. I use the Urban Decay-deslick makeup setting spray before and after applying.

Cons:
-its about $10, but I wish it was a bit cheaper. but hey! it works great so I guess its worth it.
-powder pad that it comes with is useless (but so are most pads that come with other powders).
-can be cakey if you use too much, but if you continue to buff it out, it begins to look even.

on 9/30/2012 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I love love love LOVE this powder foundation. I'm definitely more of a powder or mineral foundation girl. I will use liquid foundation but most of the time I don't have great experiences with it. I was previously using Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua which is really nice, one of the few liquid foundations I actually like but I do have oily/combo skin and I needed something that was a powder but was still gonna give me the right amount of coverage for me. I was in CVS and noticed this Neutrogena Mineral Sheers with SPF 20. The fact that it had SPF 20 definitely made me happy cause I live in Florida where it's super hot and I always need my foundations to have SPF. I was a little nervous about the coverage this would give cause sometimes they will be more like setting powders than powders that will actually give you coverage. This one is definitely a powder foundation. It gives wonderful coverage, it evens out my skintones, hides the majority of my blemishes and even helps with my under eye circles. I still use concealer but this gives the perfection coverage for me personally. I don't like heavy coverage and this looks very natural but still evens everything out. Also it doesn't look ashy on me which is great as well. Sometimes powders will make you look extremely dry but this one is so smooth and creamy. Another plus is that it didn't break me out! My skin is pretty sensitive but this worked well with my skin. The packaging is kind of a chunky compact with a mirror and sponge. It takes up a lot of room in my makeup bag but it's okay cause that's the only downside to this product for me. The price was 13-14 dollars but I'm sure you could get it cheaper at Walmart or Target. I would definitely say if you have dry/normal skin you probably won't like this cause it's pretty matte but if you have oily skin you'll fall in love. I can't live without this powder foundation, it's great! :)

I was really hoping that this product would work out, but it wasn't the right product for me. I have oily skin that is acne prone. Pros of this product: great coverage. Cons: My skin was so much more oily when using this product. I typically blot my face with blotting papers once or twice throughout the day; with this makeup I literally would blot my face and an hour later, it looked oily again : ( So, if you have oily skin, this is not the product for you. Also, it sort of made my face itch a little here and there.

I really wish this product worked better for me. But, if you don't have oily skin, I'd recommend this product! : )

on 2/2/2012 5:22:00 PM

Neutral rating on the number scale because I LOVED this, the finish, the coverage, the fact that it was oil free and contained minerals and all that... but each time I used it I would get a horrible knot under my skin. Therefor I cannot use it, it makes me break out... nothing in my routine had changed, within one day though, i was left with a breakout. But it covered really well, and is so easy to use. GRRR. Perhaps other people find it as nice as me, aside from the breakouts!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't generally give products 5s, but this one deserves it. I've been using this powder for four years now, and haven't found anything that compares for my oily, yellow-toned fair complexion. I use Nude 40 (note: when I first started wearing MU I used shades 20 or 30, which were both too pale and pink >.< ) I can wear it on its own for light coverage, or use it to set my tinted moisturizer for medium coverage.
Note: when you first apply it, it will look chalky and makeup-y. After an hour or so it settles into my skin and looks flawless and really natural. This in itself is a small miracle, as I soak through most other powders in an hour.
IT DOES NOT BREAK ME OUT HALLELUJAH! :D lol
It won't cover acne pimples (I use MAC studio finish concealer in NC25 for that), but it does sheer out scars and cover up flat areas of redness and blotchiness so I don't need to use much concealer at all.
I'd really recommend this to anyone looking for a good basic makeup.

This used to be my HG foundation---I just stopped a few weeks ago after using it for at least two years. This never made me breakout, has good coverage and sticks to the face well(I always used a primer). Five months ago, my face developed a constant red, SUPER itchy rash that literally lasted till a few weeks ago when I stopped using this foundation. Before stopping, I thought it was an allergic reaction, or seborrheic dermatitis, or just dermatits, and tried like every medication(never went to the doctor 'cause I heard they just give you cortisone cream...); I never suspected this foundation 'cause it has never given me problems before....until my face magically cleared up after 2 days of discontinued use(I kept everything else in my makeup and skin routine the same). I looked up the ingredients and found out a lot of its ingredients, mostly mica and carmine, can cause skin allergies and itchiness in people with sensitive skin---carmine, which is crushed beetles, can even cause microscopic tears in the skin:(.

I don't think it's just this product, but mineral makeup in general(most mineral makeup have mica and carmine) can cause bad reactions, so I still gave it a 2 because I know it's not necessarily a 'bad' product for everyone.

on 2/2/2010 9:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I've been using it over the Mac studio fix liquid foundation and omg! It's the best thing ever!! I don't need to buy the expensive powders anymore Yay!! :D oh and it doesn't clog my pores,break me out, make me oily and all that bad stuff :)

on 7/31/2009 3:46:00 PM

I have honestly tried almost EVERY mineral foundation out there including, BE, Smashbox, PUR Minerals, and every Drug Store mineral foundation you can imagine. The foundation I had the best luck with was the PUR Minerals but it made my face an oil slick by early afternoon. I had been dealing with it just because it didn't make my skin break out and I loved the natural but full coverage it provided. Well, two weeks ago I bought this Neutrogena Mineral Foundation and I LOVE it. It has the coverage that I liked about PUR Minerals and it does not make my face a shiny mess. My skin looks healthy and pimple free. It also lasts all day which was a surprise to me for a drug store foundation. I will definately keep buying this.

on 7/18/2008 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been using L'oreal bare naturelle with great results for over a year now. I wanted something equally good in a more travel friendly package. And let me just say...I love this one!! There are not many pressed mineral powders yet in Canada - and neutrogena isn't even available yet. I got this on a visit to the states. Shade 10- classic ivory which is about comparable to 458 light ivory in bare naturelle. This power covers pretty naturally, rarely looks cakey and has SPF20!! I actually like the packaging a bit more than others because the mirror stays clean because it is not beside the powder. Definatly one of my new favs.