4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am a big fan of castor oil. However I never use it on its own - way too drying!

I always use it as a part of some self made concotion - I will spread it on my wet hair as a weekly mask mixed with a couple of pumps of OUAI's Rose Hair and Body Oil (which is basically sunflower and shea butter oils, smells faintly with fresh roses and contains no silicones), I'll use it to seal aloe vera gel patted on my feet (also mixed with the rose oil from Ouai) and hands. It is a great all rounder but as I say - only as a part of the mix with other oils (let's say as a third of that mix, a small spoonful max).

I'm growing my hair out at the moment and I am interested in anything that will make the process less painful. I'm growing out a pixie cut and my hair grows painfully slow, it is thin and prone to falling out I was of course not expecting miracles. But after a couple of uses of the oil I've noticed a significant, positive change. My hair maybe did not grow massively (I do my 'hair oil soak' once a week) but it appears volumised, a bit less frizzy and it has SHINE! I need to make sure I wash off the oil mix completely otherwise my hair looks heavy and lank - sometimes I need to apply a thick layer of conditioner over the oiled hair and only then use the shampoo (twice!) but the faff of keeping it on my head under a shower cap and towel turban for a couple of hours is worth it in my opinion.

I bought a big bottle of this oil from Pukka, it is organic, has a very faint smell and as I do not use a lot of it, it will last ages, which also makes it very cost effective.

on 1/2/2018 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've been using castor oil for around a month now and I've been happy with the results! I've noticed it has helped with the growth of my eyebrows. My right eyebrow is not as sparse as it used to be. I also have to trim my eyebrow hairs more often. I've always had decently long eyelashes, but they are a bit longer since using castor oil. My lashes also feel stronger and less brittle. I had a gap in my lashes and noticed that it grew out faster with the use of castor oil.

I have not noticed any breakouts due to the castor oil. I would recommend using this before commiting to latisse or revitalash.

on 12/9/2017 12:49:00 PM

It's amazing to see the results so quickly. What I did was to mix two capsules of Vitamin E, a teaspoon of fresh Aloe Vera gel extracted directly from the plant, and two teaspoons of Castor Oil. I applied the mixture with a clean eyeliner brush on my top and bottom lashes, as well as my eyebrows every night before bed. In three weeks my eyelashes were noticeably longer and it helped the growth the parts of my eyebrows that never used to grow. The only downside of the treatment is; it makes my eyes hurt a little when I wake up in the morning but the pain quickly goes away when I wash my eyes. I'll definitely continue using it.

on 10/27/2017 7:36:00 AM

I would never have believed this if I hadn't tried it, after accidentally bumping into the reviews here. Like, Health Canada could be publishing PSAs on this, and I'd still be going "Nah, I'm sure it wouldn't do that. Not for me, anyway. Probably straight up placebo...people want to believe it will work, so they convince themselves that it does..."

TWO WEEKS IN I HAVE THICKER BROWS, HOLY BALLS

Wowza. They have always been narrow and sparse, and they were starting to get patchy as I got older -- not an overplucking issue; I've always just had to remove the odd "I'm going to start my own thing over here!" brow and that's it. And the "balding" patches are filling in like crazy. In _two weeks_.

I bought it ("Sunny Isle Jamaican Black") because it was on sale and I had long meant to grab some for other uses -- homemade lip balms etc -- but the reviews here convinced me to give it a whirl elsewhere. Thank you, MUAers!!

It's perfect in one of those tubes with a brush usually used for lip gloss or cuticle oil (empty ones are cheap on eBay).

Unfortunately effects on eyelashes = zero -- will update if that changes. But I'm pretty much ready to start bathing in this stuff, given all the rave reviews for all sorts of uses. I do a lot of skin care DIY stuff and have a lot of different oils and have never ever had a OMG, BEST EVER! moment with one like this. It's all the more amazing that it was a reasonable price and did not make any absurd claims on the bottle (a huge part of what pushed me off to DIY stuff...).

on 9/22/2017 9:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Gold Cross Castor Oil is amazing at a great cheap price! Works wonders for hair growth (eyebrows, lashes, etc.) The areas once sparse in my eyebrows, especially the outer ends, now have hair and my brows are fuller in general. Lashes also look longer and the results were noticeable in just days, although I've been using it for a while now. My babyhairs are also more tamed and fuller as I apply it there too. Doesn't break me out, however I still try and avoid putting it directly on my skin too much or on any active acne. I'm not sure what castor oil does for skin or about any other brand, but Gold Cross 10/10 works and I recommend it for hair growth.

on 8/25/2017 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Castor oil is really thick. I mix it with sweet almond oil and....
Use it as a mascara remover, since it doesn't sting, it's inexpensive, and moisturizing.
Add essential oils like Rosemary, cedar, eucalyptus, orange, and use it as a hair oil treatment.

Does it grow lashes and brows? (Update: actually yes, my overplucked brows - overplucked 10+ years ago - have new little hairs, so ya: i can't believe it is actually working, even if a little bit.). It's thick and gloopy, but worth it, for even a little bit of growth. If i would apply it daily, maybe it would be better. It's not a routine, yet.

I'm tired of over the counter products that are expensive, trial and error, mistakes or rip offs. This is only about $2 for a bottle, and it has plenty of uses. I am actually suprised to see new little hairs.

on 8/22/2017 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I am from the Caribbean and castor oil "real homemade "castor oil and coconut oil it's what was used in my hair , for best results in skin care brows and lashes mix in with real Coconut oil and you will be amazed. it can also be added to to body lotions hand creams for that extra hydration.

on 8/20/2017 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I got this when I first started having TSW, it did not absorb into my skin easily and hardly provided relief

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have only been using this for a week so I feel like I may be writing this a bit prematurely, BUT. Wow. I can see such a difference already! I use it for brows and lashes. I was another victim of the thin eyebrow trend and have pretty pathetic patchy brows. I slather this on at night and massage it in. The sparse areas are filling in already! Im kind of dumbfounded as to how quickly this seems to be working for me. My eyelashes have been tortured with extensions on and off for the past 5 years. Sometimes I like to have a break and wear mascara. My lashes are blonde, thin and short. But holy crap. they seem mm's longer already. It's almost as if my brows and lashes have been screaming out for nutrition and have sucked it up like a dehydrated plant. I will do an update in a month or so and maybe upload pics! Side note: I also use this as a lup balm at night, its sooo moisturising. And under my eyes to try and nourish the dark circles. Such an awesome product!

on 7/7/2017 4:13:00 PM

Such a wonderful and versatille product!
The thing I like castor oil the most is my skin. I love it for face massage (mix it with whatever other oil I have or use it alone (if your skin is not dry) ), makes pores look smaller and prepares skin for extractions.
Second best thing is also for skin - for undereye area. I apply rosehip oil and on top of that tap a bit of castor oil (concentrating on the ends where crows feet are). Works wonder, no joke!

Must say that I was applying it to my lashes for almost 5 years every evening but havent seen mindblowing results.

Works really well for dry hair - just mix it with any other oil ant apply generously from roots to the ends, sleep in it (might use a hairdryer when the oil is in your hair, every now and again to warm your hair so that the oil would penetrate better). Wash it in the morning. I had no issues with washing it out though it is clumpy oil, but 2 washes with shampoo, then a balm/mask and hair feels smooth and soft.

Popular Brows Products