Filtered by skin tone : Olive

4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 5/10/2017 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Have been using for two weeks. Applied with clean spoolie. Haven't noticed much change to my sparse Asian brows or lashes, but my combination skin, tending towards dry, and prone to hives and milia has not gone crazy either. (I have been very careful in application though and do not apply to lower lashes). Will continue for another two weeks unless I lose patience. Even if there is no noticeable growth, it's probably good to condition or moisturize my lashes and brows.

UPDATE: I applied CO to curled lashes and my lashes stayed curled for over 12 hours, a definite record. Which makes CO a good option for weekend bare face days. . .

on 3/12/2017 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I used castor oil on my brows and my lashes. Didn't see any small bottle being sold so I had to buy a bigger bottle. I used this from time to time, not regularly, maybe once or twice a week. I transferred a bit of product into a travel container so the dead skin on the spoolie used to apply the product wouldn't end up in the big bottle.

Pros:
- works
- not expensive

Cons:
- smells nasty
- doesn't come in smaller sizes so you have to buy a lot more than you need, and there will no doubt be a lot of waste when it expires
- the texture is unpleasant (like thicker vegetable oil)
- kind of hard to remove (I first tried using my Cetaphil cleanser but it wouldn't remove everything. I now use my wonder pore toner and it works)

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Castor oil: one of the best oils for wrinkles and neck wrinkles!! (My aunt swears by this and she has ZERO wrinkles on her face and neck) and she has had ZERO plastic surgery or botox. (Shes also a vegan which is known to seriously slow down aging). I use this all over my face , eyes, and neck every night. Its very thick but so far being in my mid 30s, some my 20 year old friends look older than me lol. Im going to forever use this stuff every night.

on 10/31/2016 12:04:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I was faithfully getting individual lashes done at shops for years! 😒 I basically pulled out what lashes I did have due to the kinds of glue these shops used for lashes. My eyelashes have never been long or particularly thick but after having been using castor oil for about 2 months and a half. They are definitely thicker and darker! I've also used on my brows bc why not! Lol they're darker and filled in little areas where they had little hairs missing. I can't wait to see what another couple of months will do! You have to be patient, no results over night. I definitely saw less lashes falling out and they're definitely stronger. I've uploaded my progress so far!

PS: I bought my castor oil from a local beauty store, the tropic isle living brand black castor oil. Used a clean mascara brush to brush oil on lashes/eyebrows nightly.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

I used castor oil to grow my brows for about 6 months. I over-tweezed a bit the ends in the 90's and now regret it. The castor oil did fill in my brows, however it also caused a small yet hard whitehead to appear right under my brow. Since then I have stopped using castor oil and the whitehead went away. Currently, I color my brows with Godefroy tiny kit and fill them in with Revlon Brow Fantasy or Hard Candy Brows Now.

on 8/23/2016 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have castor oil in a pump glass bottle and use a tiny drop each night on my eyebrows and my lashes so they saty strong and moisturized. I totally see the difference when I skip it, my eyebrows are everywhere, with the castor oil they look polished and stay in place.

on 3/26/2016 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

A little background info:
I have always had a lash obsession, and wasn't happy w/ my natural lashes (which in retrospect weren't really that bad) so I started using individual eyelashes back in 05. LOVED the results, but (unbeknownst at the time) the glue is absolute *murder* on natural lashes. After wearing them daily for a few months, I realized it was either continue applying or look like an alien until they grew back, which evidently can take up to 2 years! I stupidly stuck to applying the lashes. Fast forward (and simultaneously rewind) to September '14. I decided that, although the results of the indies looked great, I was ready for my real lashes because of the high maintenance routine they demanded . Enter castor oil. I knew that many lash serums and growth mascaras (Rimmel Volume Accelerator being one of them) contain castor oil as an ingredient. While I am ridiculously obsessed w/ mascara (seriously - for a while I felt like I was cheating on my husband w/ Ulta, making secret mascara purchases, hiding them in my "junk makeup" bag & lying to him about it - I later felt guilty and came clean, much to his amusement) I decided to skip the mascara middle man and try castor oil. Totally glad I did. I found some cold pressed, hexane free on Ebay (15 ml/.5oz) for $2.98 and started using it every night before bed. To be fair, and clear: I have a whole routine I diligently go through every night that involves not only castor oil, but unrefined coconut oil and straight vitamin e oil as well on my lashes. I do only use castor oil on my brows but I'll get to that later. Anyway, after doing what I call extensive research and my husband (affectionately) calls stalking, I discovered that not only can/does castor, coconut & vitamin e oils work wonders for lashes, so can/do essential oils which we've been into for about 2 years now and already had on hand. Anyway, here's what I do each night:
I add a few drops each of lavender, rosemary, cedarwood and tea tree oil to every new bottle of nighttime facial cleanser (lavender, peppermint and tea tree to my separate morning cleanser, as all of these help with hair growth, as well as redness and the Exxon Valdez oil slick my face seems to mass produce) and cleanse my face, neck, and GENTLY my lashes to remove makeup and kill the little mites that thrive on our lash follicles & hinder growth (ewwww!), and let it sit for a few mins. No, it does not sting my eyes, however I don't have sensitive eyes to begin w/. Rinse. Then I use coconut oil to remove any residual makeup and condition my lashes. I then apply castor/vit e oil (1:1 ratio) on my lash line/lash roots with a clean, soft lip brush (e.l.f. $1) then brush my lashes with a fluffy clean mascara wand, wiggling at the base to stimulate roots, then sweep from root to tip to coat each lash. Within the first few months, I noticed my lashes had tripled in thickness (I literally have multiple layers of lash growth on my lash line), the gaps have filled in, and I have had NO breakage whatsoever. I probably lose ohhh, 2-3 lashes per MONTH as opposed to daily lash loss after I stopped applying individuals & before the daily regimen started kicking in. (I noticed decent improvement in about 4 weeks, husband noticed in about 10-12 weeks). My lashes are glossy, *much* thicker (not craaaazy thick, but these things take time) and definitely longer, touching the bottoms of my severely over tweezed, pathetic brows (again, I'll get to them in a bit) and the gaps are filled in BEAUTIFULLY. In fact, recently (roughly a month ago) while bending down to light a "smoke", I managed to singe the tips of my lashes on the outer corner of my left eye, resulting in some sort of weird mini lash look, compared to the rest of my left eye, which was unscathed. It was just so freaking awkward looking, so much that I had to use the Younique 3D fiber mascara my sister got me for my birthday, on the tips of my mini lashes only, and I generally can't stand that stuff. But my lashes were in a state of emergency and I wanted them to appear even. Anyway, doing my daily lash care routine literally grew them back to regular length in no time. Like, I can't even tell now that they were stubby only a short time ago. Now, for the castor oil/brow part. I only use castor oil on my brows. I use another clean wand to apply castor oil thickly on my brows, rubbing in and gently brushing to stimulate follicles and coat brows which have been over plucked and barren for years. I wish I would've taken pics! New hairs are sprouting daily, and although I've stopped plucking the inner hairs since I want them thicker, I still "maintenance pluck" outer hairs from my arch down my brow tail because the brows are filling in quite nicely. I just started using castor oil nightly on my brows about 2 months ago, because I never really thought to do it before. I should've done this YEARS ago, as I too am a victim of the aforementioned 90's/early 2000's thinly plucked, penciled in brows. I also add about 2 ml castor oil to my EVOO/coconut hot oil hair treatment and around my hair line and it works wonders in strength and shine. I will continue to use cold pressed castor on lashes for now, but have seen youtubers using plain old Rexall brand from the laxative aisle. I bought a small bottle of it, and if it doesn't break my brows out & I have decent results like them, I'll just use that instead of ordering online. Will update results. *Btw, ricin is ONLY present when whole castor beans are ground up, as it is found inside the bean. Store bought castor oil is RICIN FREE, because of the process they use to make it a consumable/usable product. So please don't take to heart what the others have said about ricin. Yes, it is toxic. No, it absolutely isn't present in ANY brand of castor oil.
˜Update˜4/14/16 - it has only been about 19 days since I've tried Rexall castor oil (Dollar General $1.50 USD for 30ml/1 fl oz and I have had GREAT results! No breakouts, just gro

on 2/9/2016 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I love this for eyebrows, but for some reason it always stings my eyes when I use this under my eyes and for my eyelashes. It never absorbs and leaves me with blurry vision and tears forever when I wake up. Will keep using for eyebrows though!

on 11/17/2015 7:02:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

MAGIC IN A BOTTLE. I started using cold-pressed organic castor oil (purchased on Amazon for about $14) on my lashes about 7 months ago. I have always had very short and straight lashes and was so jealous of those girls with the beautiful long lashes. If Latisse didn't scare me with the possible side effect of skin darkening, I would've tried it already. I hoped this would give me just a little length. I also started using the after using waterproof mascara damaged my lashes...I was loosing at least 3 lashes from each eye each night no matter how gentle I was removing my makeup. I actually had a few bald gaps in my lashes...horrifying. I apply this every night using an old liner brush to the roots of my upper and lower lashes and smooth a little through the length. After about a month, I could see tiny little lashes poking out in places where I didn't used to have them. I was truly amazed to actually see the volume building. I wanted this to work but honestly wasn't expecting results this early or this obvious. Around the 4 month mark is when I started to really notice a big increase in length. At 7 months now, my lashes have NEVER been this long. I'm also barely 1/4 way through my bottle. I will never stop using this. I still can't get over how well this worked. All I can say is be patient...you're not going to see major results overnight but over time, it really truly does work. People say they find it drying which I find really interesting because I find this really moisturizing under my eyes! I wake up in the morning and the skin is so soft and almost plumped?

on 8/16/2015 9:25:00 PM

I heard that this helps grow eyebrows. It didn't work for me and was a waste of time in that regard.

But I found that this works pretty well for oil cleansing when mixed with another oil (coconut, jojoba, avocado, whatever works for you). It's a thick oil and it adds a little more friction to the oil massage. I follow with a foaming cleanser and my skin is left super-clean.

But even so, I don't feel like this is something I can't live without. And when my bottle runs out I don't plan to repurchase.

Popular Brows Products