Filtered by hair type : Curly

4.7

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 12/11/2016 7:36:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I have never used castor oil on my lashes or brows.

I do use it regularly in my hair as a leave in conditioner and curl definer. I have long, color treated, naturally curly hair that is prone to frizz, breakage, and damage. I pour a dime to nickel sized drop in my palm, rub my hands together and squeeze the oil into the lower third of my hair -- especially the ends. It is sort of the old scrunch technique. I do this to wet hair after washing.

Nothing controls frizz, softens brittleness, or defines curls better. Castor oil has an interesting lipstick-base smell. Not everyone will like it, but it does remind me of lipsticks from my childhood.

Leftover oil gets rubbed into nails and cuticles.

on 8/23/2016 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Alright so avoiding profanities will be hard for me here because I got a lot to say. If you want my simple SFW review, I'll list the pros/cons at the end for you.

For some background: I had no intention of buying some fancy ass organic ass expensive ass oil for my eyebrows. So I bought Meijer brand Castor Oil, in the laxative aisle. It was cheap (like $3?) for a huge ass bottle and lawd I have been blessed.
Have you ever suffered through the disappointment of growing out your eyebrows for almost a full year after a horrific threading session? Have you had to rebuild your trust in others, your confidence, your faith in humanity because a little lady at the mall turned your foreign baddie eyebrows into stripper brows?
If this is you, you need castor oil. This made my eyebrows grow so quickly. I've had a series of bad eyebrow wax/thread/removal and my eyebrow hair growth has been slowing down. I was afraid my eyebrows would never be as thick as they once were (to be entirely honest, they're still not there yet). My eyebrows are getting back to where they were and I am so happy. I'm still gonna continue using this because it really makes a difference.
Just a word to the wise, don't be heavy handed with this!! I applied this at night and it definitely broke me out a little because my eyebrows were way too saturated.

PROS:
- thicker, fuller eyebrow
- it works

CONS:
- too much can break you out

on 8/9/2016 11:02:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I use this on my lashes and brows and it really does help reduce hair loss and my brows seem a lot thicker now (keep in mind I've been using this off and on for over a year, it's not a quick fix). I have also tried this on my scalp as I have thinning hair but I find it's rather thick and difficult to apply. I tried mixing it with 1/4 jojoba oil, 3/4 castor oil to thin it out and that helped with the application (I do not use the thinned out mix on brows). Also using a dropper helps with application to the scalp as well. I sleep with it on and wash my hair in the morning, you definitely don't want to be going out with this much oil on your head, it doesn't absorb much.
I picked up a huge bottle at a local nutrition place for about $15cad which I feel is a good price. Would repurchase.

on 7/30/2016 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

My nails are thin and brittle and I had been using coconut oil and olive oil to moisturize them after I removed my polish, along with a wide array of store bought creams and strengthening treatments.

On a whim, I tried castor oil and OMG.
This is my holy grail nail treatment. It really works!! Nothing else worked as well for me.

After using it for a few months, I'm experiencing much less peeling and breakage. My nails are much thicker and stronger. I'm able grow my nails long and keep them strong even if I use polish removers with acetone.

After removing polish, I wash my hands and dry them, then spread the very thick, gooey oil over my nails and let my nails absorb it over time (it usually takes about 20 minutes to a half hour). Sometimes I repeat the repeat the process. When I am ready to polish my nails, I wash my hands and clean my nail beds with alcohol to make sure there is no residual surface oil.

Castor Oil works for hair, so it makes sense that it also works for nails, which are also made of keratin.

on 3/9/2016 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've used this every other day for a few weeks on my lashes and eyebrows, and especially in my lashes I've seen a change. They might've gotten a little longer, but most of all they've gotten a lot stronger. I've had problems with my eyelashes breaking off a lot, sometimes so much that there's a noticeable "gap" in my lashes where several has fallen off. Since I started using castor oil I've seen significantly less lashes break off when taking off makeup etc. In my brows I haven't seen as much of a change, but it might still come. I apply the oil with an eyeliner brush along the upper lash line, kind of like I would an eyeliner, a while before I go to bed. Sometimes I also dab a little onto the end of the lashes to give an extra boost to the actual lashes.

My eyes are quite sensitive, so initially I was a bit scared about applying an oil that irritates eyes right near the lash line and/or on my lashes. But the oil is thick enough to really stay where you've put it, and I haven't had any problems with it. When I researched the oil I saw a lot of people saying you should remove any excess oil in the morning when you wash your face, but I swear I don't have any oil to remove come morning. Either my lashes and brows are just really thirsty and drinks it all up, or I smush my face deep enough into my pillow to rub it off during the night.

I will continue to use it and I hope that over time I'll get longer lashes as well as stronger ones.

on 11/17/2015 7:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

MAGIC IN A BOTTLE. I started using cold-pressed organic castor oil (purchased on Amazon for about $14) on my lashes about 7 months ago. I have always had very short and straight lashes and was so jealous of those girls with the beautiful long lashes. If Latisse didn't scare me with the possible side effect of skin darkening, I would've tried it already. I hoped this would give me just a little length. I also started using the after using waterproof mascara damaged my lashes...I was loosing at least 3 lashes from each eye each night no matter how gentle I was removing my makeup. I actually had a few bald gaps in my lashes...horrifying. I apply this every night using an old liner brush to the roots of my upper and lower lashes and smooth a little through the length. After about a month, I could see tiny little lashes poking out in places where I didn't used to have them. I was truly amazed to actually see the volume building. I wanted this to work but honestly wasn't expecting results this early or this obvious. Around the 4 month mark is when I started to really notice a big increase in length. At 7 months now, my lashes have NEVER been this long. I'm also barely 1/4 way through my bottle. I will never stop using this. I still can't get over how well this worked. All I can say is be patient...you're not going to see major results overnight but over time, it really truly does work. People say they find it drying which I find really interesting because I find this really moisturizing under my eyes! I wake up in the morning and the skin is so soft and almost plumped?

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

You get your bang for your buck! Not only is this a great eyelash and eyebrow growth serum, but it works as an amazing oil cleansing method and makeup remover. I use this every day (1:1 ratio with coconut oil) as a makeup remover, and it brings everything out of the pores and dissolves all the makeup to wipe off very easily. I also used this for my Oil Cleansing Method, when my skin was going through some turmoil from trying out new products. I mixed it 1:1 with coconut oil, massaged it into my skin (removed makeup first) for about 2 minutes, then I got a damp hot cloth and placed it on my face (left the cloth on until it cooled down), then I wiped the cloth over my face to get the remaining oil off. I WAS AMAZED! Some very stubborn, painful acne had fiiiinally come to a head and were ready for extraction. i went in to pop one and two came out at once that were not even visible before! Definitely purged my skin fast and effectively; no waiting a few weeks for the purge to go down. My pores felt so clean without the dried out feeling, and my skin felt properly hydrated which is necessary for any skin type. If you're scared of putting oil on your skin because you have oily skin like myself, don't be! This is the one oil to try that is actually somewhat drying (if not mixed with another oil). Definitely worth the money for the awesome eyebrow and eyelash growth as well!!

on 6/19/2015 10:09:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I read so much on the internet about this oil and I can say : It really helped me to thick and grow my eyelashes.
I simply use an old washed out mascara and apply the oil on my eyelashes every night before I go to bed.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I LOVE Castor Oil! I add this to my DIY body butters, I use it on my eye lashes and as a night time eye cream and it has done wonders for my eye area (which is really really dry for some reason). I also use it on my hair before washing, and on the ends of my hair when I twist it at night. This product is amazing, its cheap, you can get it from anywhere (currently I just the Jamaican Black Castor Oil with Coconut Oil, love it). I recommend for all types of uses. It is also amazing on scars that you are trying to get rid of. It is also a natural anti-bacterial. I am a woman that completely waxes her nether regions and I apply castor oil at night to keep the skin down there soft and germ free, it absorbs into the skin and it really has helped keep the skin down there clear and bright (darker skinned women sometimes get hyper pigmentation down there).

on 4/28/2015 2:57:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I have been doing oil cleansing, and had castor oil in the mix along with coconut oil and soybean oil. I had been eyeing my lashes for the past few days thinking to myself that they looked thicker - like there were a lot more lashes along the base. Today when I put my mascara on, I was like HOLY COW! Something is making my eyelashes grow!! I realized it had to be the castor oil! Now, I don't put it specifically on my lashes, but apply it everywhere. I then use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe off my makeup and clean my skin - no soap, so I suppose it is hanging around the base of my lashes, which is where it needs to be if it is going to help your eyelashes (not applied with a mascara wand, unless you are really getting it onto the base of the lashes too).

Kowabunga man! I had no idea others were already onto this! I figured it had to the castor oil, because I know it is used for dry eye and works very well for that, so castor oil is pretty darn fantastic stuff as far as I am concerned. I am also rubbing it into my skin right before I get out of the shower to seal in moisture. I then follow it up with a good moisturizer that contains urea as at least the 3rd (if not 2nd) ingredient.

Now that I know it does such a fantastic job with eyelashes, it's going on my eyebrows and hairline as well!

Popular Brows Products