Filtered by skin type : Oily

4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 9/22/2017 9:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Gold Cross Castor Oil is amazing at a great cheap price! Works wonders for hair growth (eyebrows, lashes, etc.) The areas once sparse in my eyebrows, especially the outer ends, now have hair and my brows are fuller in general. Lashes also look longer and the results were noticeable in just days, although I've been using it for a while now. My babyhairs are also more tamed and fuller as I apply it there too. Doesn't break me out, however I still try and avoid putting it directly on my skin too much or on any active acne. I'm not sure what castor oil does for skin or about any other brand, but Gold Cross 10/10 works and I recommend it for hair growth.

on 8/22/2017 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I am from the Caribbean and castor oil "real homemade "castor oil and coconut oil it's what was used in my hair , for best results in skin care brows and lashes mix in with real Coconut oil and you will be amazed. it can also be added to to body lotions hand creams for that extra hydration.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Wow! I have been using this on my eyelashes for about a month, and noticed an improvement within the first 2 weeks. My lashes are normally short -- downright stubby. So, I am thrilled to see that they are growing longer. I can actually see a difference when I curl them now.

Considering how cheap you can get castor oil, it's worth giving it a try. If it doesn't work, you can probably find another use for the oil.

on 7/2/2016 1:20:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Just want to start off by saying nothing works overnight. GIVE IT TIME!!!! Everyone knows about the benefits of this wonderful oil for eyebrow/eyelash growth. However, i wanted to rave about how it has significantly improved my under eye circles! Im only 22 but ever since i was in highschool my under eye circles have been out of control; and i find it ages me terribly... Nevertheless this has been the only product that has actually worked on reducing them! I could never truly conceal them with makeup and now I don't necessarly have to. I am extremely happy with the results. Lastly, i know many are unhappy with the price.. But I have been using the same bottle and im going on year two. I suggest everyone give castor oil a chance!

on 1/21/2016 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have oily skin and naturally decent lashed both in length and thickness. I do dab this around my lash line with a q-tip to just condition the lashes. However, since castor oil is pretty thick and rich, I don't use it in my skin or brows as it can clog pores, for those I use jojoba oil especially in the summer. My mother is the primary user though as she uses it as a hair pack and it has helped with shedding for her. As with any oil, I would suggest that everyone do a spot test to ensure they are not allergic to castor oil. Also, the whole Ricin that people are complaining about is only found in the seeds of castor plant and is boiled off and left as a waste product after processing of castor oil. The only people to be likely poisoned from Ricin present in castor seeds are the workers at processing plants for castor oil.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff is awful. How can anyone tolerate it on their eyelids? Based on the reviews I read, I purchased a bottle of hexane-free, cold-pressed castor oil. After two days of use, my eyelids were swollen and incessantly itchy. I developed a rash on the upper and lower lids, and my eyes were inflamed. I did some online research and discovered that castor oil contains ricin--a deadly poison. Ricin can also cause a severe allergic reaction and lead to cornea damage after prolonged use.

I'll stick with my Boots No. 7 Fanomenal Lash Serum. It's slow-acting, but it works. More importantly, it doesn't irritate my eyes.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I LOVE Castor Oil! I add this to my DIY body butters, I use it on my eye lashes and as a night time eye cream and it has done wonders for my eye area (which is really really dry for some reason). I also use it on my hair before washing, and on the ends of my hair when I twist it at night. This product is amazing, its cheap, you can get it from anywhere (currently I just the Jamaican Black Castor Oil with Coconut Oil, love it). I recommend for all types of uses. It is also amazing on scars that you are trying to get rid of. It is also a natural anti-bacterial. I am a woman that completely waxes her nether regions and I apply castor oil at night to keep the skin down there soft and germ free, it absorbs into the skin and it really has helped keep the skin down there clear and bright (darker skinned women sometimes get hyper pigmentation down there).

on 9/29/2014 7:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Indian people use castor oil traditionally for all kinds of things - for my grandmas, this stuff (along with turmeric, coconut oil, hibiscus powder, henna and sandalwood) was a beauty staple!

Makeup remover: removes even the most stubborn water-proof stuff. I use it to remove super stay-put oil-based stage makeup for dance.

Goo gone: Seriously, it works. Obviously use with discretion (its an oil.. it stains) but on glassware and ceramics, works amazingly well and relatively non-toxic [read the ingredients on real 'goo gone' - all kinds of volatile organic compounds]

Hair: Castor oil is THICK. If you read the ingredients of most hair spray, leave-in conditioners, settings sprays - they all have hydrogenated castor oil.. but they use it with powerful emulsifiers. I use this stuff sometimes like argan oil - just run a tiny bit on my ends and to smooth out flyaways, but too much gets greasy FAST. Also it is sticky.

Skin: I used the OCM a few times, but not enough to really make a habit or notice a difference. My skin is complicated, so I stay away from fads. This stuff is GOLD for ragged cuticles and ultra dry skin though. I also use it on the corners of my mouth when they crack or my lips when they get bad wind-burn (I walk outside a lot, Canada is cold :D)

Eyes: MONEY! I don't use this on my brows (breaks me out), and occasionally use it on my lashes instead of mascara (my lashes are long-ish), but the real magic here is a weird use..I have chronic, really bad dry eye. Can't wear contact lenses anymore, eyes are always red, bad night vision, tons of cornea infections.. :( My grandma suggested that I use "traditional" kajal (home-made black eyeliner) on the waterline to improve my vision. Sounds like BS right? I looked into it, and dry eye is caused by blockage of the Meibomian glands near the waterline...Traditional kajal is made with "castor oil soot" from lamps and..castor oil, which is a lubricating lipid. I started spreading castor oil (a tiny drop from a bottle only used for eyes, always with clean hands) on my waterline after wearing contacts, or just every day. My eyes are much less dry, less red, less irritated and I'm noticing a huge difference. I use organic, cold-pressed, double filtered castor oil.. and obviously YMMV and there is a risk of infection. But if you think about it, we all think nothing of putting eyeliner on our waterlines.. so why not castor oil.

Bottom line: THIS STUFF IS AMAZING, a multi-use product, ~$5 if you buy non-organic from any 'ethnic' grocery store or the drug store, and is worth every penny.

on 8/8/2014 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

No effect on my lashes and brows. Tried for about 6 weeks, twice, after some encouragement from an MUA member who swore it would work! Thanks, but all it did was seep into my eyes at night, no matter how little I used on the base of my lashes, and make my eyes red by morning. But coconut oil has done wonders for my lashes and brows!

on 7/26/2014 12:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I don't know if I'm using the right kind of castor oil, but the cheapie stuff found in the digestive aid section of Wal-Mart does wonders. I noticed that the ends of my eyebrows weren't looking as full as they once were.. I picked this stuff up for less than $3 and then put it on my brows with a q-tip after I showered. After doing this nightly for about a week my brows were looking much better. About 2 months later, and I can say that they look better than ever. I started using an old (clean) mascara spoolie (CoverGirl Lash Blast Length) to put on my brows and occassionally my lashes. The thin rubbery bristles help comb it thru each hair so that really helps. I don't even have to fill in my brows anymore! I tried mixing this in my shampoo and that kinda left my hair a thick greasy mess! This oil is extremely thick and my face is an oil spill so I haven't put this anywhere near my skin. For brows/lashes, this stuff is wonderful! I've noticed less fallout but more fullness!

Popular Brows Products