Filtered by skin type : Dry
 Castor Oil

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 3/3/2018 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

My daughter actually believed the hype and bought this for MY eyebrows. Ridiculous, putting thick oil on your eyebrows will not make them grow again. I wonder you made up that myth

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am a big fan of castor oil. However I never use it on its own - way too drying!

I always use it as a part of some self made concotion - I will spread it on my wet hair as a weekly mask mixed with a couple of pumps of OUAI's Rose Hair and Body Oil (which is basically sunflower and shea butter oils, smells faintly with fresh roses and contains no silicones), I'll use it to seal aloe vera gel patted on my feet (also mixed with the rose oil from Ouai) and hands. It is a great all rounder but as I say - only as a part of the mix with other oils (let's say as a third of that mix, a small spoonful max).

I'm growing my hair out at the moment and I am interested in anything that will make the process less painful. I'm growing out a pixie cut and my hair grows painfully slow, it is thin and prone to falling out I was of course not expecting miracles. But after a couple of uses of the oil I've noticed a significant, positive change. My hair maybe did not grow massively (I do my 'hair oil soak' once a week) but it appears volumised, a bit less frizzy and it has SHINE! I need to make sure I wash off the oil mix completely, otherwise my hair looks heavy and lank - sometimes I need to apply a thick layer of conditioner over the oiled hair and only then use the shampoo (twice!) but the faff of keeping it on my head under a shower cap and towel turban for a couple of hours is worth it in my opinion.

I bought a big bottle of this oil from Pukka, it is organic, has a very faint smell and as I do not use a lot of it, it will last ages, which also makes it very cost effective.

on 1/2/2018 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've been using castor oil for around a month now and I've been happy with the results! I've noticed it has helped with the growth of my eyebrows. My right eyebrow is not as sparse as it used to be. I also have to trim my eyebrow hairs more often. I've always had decently long eyelashes, but they are a bit longer since using castor oil. My lashes also feel stronger and less brittle. I had a gap in my lashes and noticed that it grew out faster with the use of castor oil.

I have not noticed any breakouts due to the castor oil. I would recommend using this before commiting to latisse or revitalash.

Update: I’ve been using castor oil for around 4 months now. I had knee surgery and needed 6 weeks recovery. During those 6 weeks, I didn’t touch tweezers. I Iet them grow out. My eyebrows are now at their natural state. I think the castor oil did help keep them healthy and facilitate growth. My eyelashes are now MUCH thicker. Castor oil has helped more with thickness than length. I used to apply it once or even twice a day. Now I do my best to apply it nightly, but I often forget. I probably apply it 4-5x a week at night. I think how you remove your makeup is also important. I suggest an oil based remover to lessen tugging at eyelashes. This will help you keep more of them! I still recommend trying castor oil before commiting to a $60+ bottle of eyelash serum.

on 8/25/2017 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Castor oil is really thick. I mix it with sweet almond oil and....
Use it as a mascara remover, since it doesn't sting, it's inexpensive, and moisturizing.
Add essential oils like Rosemary, cedar, eucalyptus, orange, and use it as a hair oil treatment.

Does it grow lashes and brows? (Update: actually yes, my overplucked brows - overplucked 10+ years ago - have new little hairs, so ya: i can't believe it is actually working, even if a little bit.). It's thick and gloopy, but worth it, for even a little bit of growth. If i would apply it daily, maybe it would be better. It's not a routine, yet.

I'm tired of over the counter products that are expensive, trial and error, mistakes or rip offs. This is only about $2 for a bottle, and it has plenty of uses. I am actually suprised to see new little hairs.

on 12/11/2016 7:36:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I have never used castor oil on my lashes or brows.

I do use it regularly in my hair as a leave in conditioner and curl definer. I have long, color treated, naturally curly hair that is prone to frizz, breakage, and damage. I pour a dime to nickel sized drop in my palm, rub my hands together and squeeze the oil into the lower third of my hair -- especially the ends. It is sort of the old scrunch technique. I do this to wet hair after washing.

Nothing controls frizz, softens brittleness, or defines curls better. Castor oil has an interesting lipstick-base smell. Not everyone will like it, but it does remind me of lipsticks from my childhood.

Leftover oil gets rubbed into nails and cuticles.

on 7/7/2016 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I dare to call this a miracle worker.
I'm kind of ashamed I didn't think of using it earlier than last month. You must know that here in Italy, the first thing anyone associates to castor oil are fascists tortures, as prisoners were forced to drink it and well, it resulted in painful bowels actions. The fact that the alleged inventor of this torture is also my favourite poet in the world, well, made it sound ever creepier. So I never thought of this product as a positive cosmetic help, due to my totally justified and legit dislike of fascists (am I really mixing make up and politics? Oh lord take this laptop from my hands and throw it away)
I use many oils (olive extra virgin, coconut, flaxseed, karite, jojoba, tea tree) and prepare this mix I appy on my hair about twice a week. I recently bought castoir oil - from the excellent made in Italy, 100% organic brand Forsan - to be added in this mix, and the results are satisfying; I would like to use it alone, but my hair absorb it so fast it seems I have to waste half bottle for one conditioning.
But why did I call it miracle worker? Well, ask my brows. As a teenager, I did extreme damage to my brows, due to poor knowledge and experience in grooming them, and basically cut the right part of the right brow for good. Until now, not many hair grew back, and it still looks like it's missing something. Left eye (oh man am I really getting emotional thinking about our beloved deceased TLC baby girl?) instead is in better conditions, but still has empty parts. So, I applied castor oil and massaged it every night before bed and, if I'm home during the day, I don't mind having a shiny oil on my brows (even if my husband finds it disgusting but then I remind him the time he almost shat himself at our goddamn wedding, like really? You almost blasted on your Ferragamo dress and you still dare to call me disgusting? Boy bye) so let's say it stays there for about 10 hours a day. Well, after about 10 days of use, I was impressed to see that my brows look fuller than ever.
I've always been scared and unconfortable with all that pomade-stencils-pencils-stuff fashion thing and I wonder how girls are able to wake up near their man looking completely different from the night before - it's not my business, but I'm into horror stories and this one is definitely a horror story. And what if I sweat like a pig? Would it look like a bird shat on my eyeballs? No way! So, thanks to castor oil I can finally fullfil my desire of better brows, in a natural, confortable way, with excellent results in no time. I will use it everyday for the next months and will tell you how it works, maybe I'll share pictures!
Oh and I'm using this on lashes too, I don't see any precise improvement but for sure even the cheapest mascara looks a loooot better than before! Surely they're all conditioned and nice now. I don't have blurry vision problems because of it, as other people have stated. Don't be scared, nothing will happen to you! It's non toxic at all.

Fun fact: when I was doing research after hearing for the first time the english name of the product, I googled an invented italian translation for it. "Castoro" in italian means "BEAVER", resulting in me literally googling "BEAVER OIL", so I was totally shocked at the idea of a poor beaver all squeezed and melted for my hair benefit. EW.

UPDATE! After a full month using this, I can definitely tell the difference. It is pure wonder! I applied every night except one I went straight to bed after a night out, and I usually use a sleep mask for preventing light (if there's the tiniest electronic light in the room I won't close an eye) so the oil was kept warm under it. The brow tails are finally perfect after years they were kind of missing expecially the right one. Hair are quite thicker and darker (they've always been much lighter than my hair roots), and I finally dare to apply some tiny lines of brow pencil just for fun, something I was too ashamed of doing before as the difference was striking. COOL!
Lashes - drum roll - are pushed up like I wear a brown or clear mascara! I never complained about them as they were normal and long enough, but now, hey hey! I won't complain about any improvement!

UPDATE YO: Brows are full, lashes are cool, lips are thick and nourished and I can wear kids facepaint as lipstick and still look perfect and hydrated. It's the first time ever I feel close to that terrible, tasteless saying "on fleek"
Dude what on earth on fleek means
It's unforgivable

GURL: 2 months later I HAVE THE FULLEST BROWS EVER. This is insane and if I keep using it I might become Chewbacca - well kind of. For sure now I have to take care of a new problem: MONOBROW. What the actual f**k dude. Grooming is becoming annoying. Really, it's incredible. It's the first holistic treatment that worked 100% for me. So, bear this in mind if you follow the same path: thiss oil worked on me, but for example on the very face and hair the miracolous holy coconut oil doesn't work except basic skin hydration that any other cream would achieve. So..
The worst thing that might happen to you it's that you might get greasy for nothing useful. Nothing that should stop you from trying :D

UPDATE 18 december 2016: it's been 6 months since I fell in love with castor oil and its effects are unstoppable. I mentioned that I use it as a night lips balm right? Well it's definitely helping growing MOTHERF****N MOUSTACHES
The other day I was at the movies with my husband when, while in line for tickets, he stared at me and said: "Honey, are you becoming hipster? What are THOSE?" pointing my upper lip and making me ask myself "Do I want to keep living?"
I spent the next three hours wearing my scarf up to the nose and definitely looked like a rebel ready to drop a paper bomb on a capitalistic pigs shelter. Gotta discontinue this for the lips (and using my beloved Dior's Lip Maximizer as night treatment instead, which works wonders

Didn't see any difference in growth rate as a hair mask. Used this for a month. Honestly, just makes it softer but many oils will do that. I penetrated the scalp with it (+a barrier almond oil) upside down many times with inversion method (God, I am desperate to grow out this bad cut!) but it didn't really work. If I needed a hair mask for silkiness than this is an option, but I'd hoped for accelerated growth, which definitely didn't happen.

Also, I stupidly decided to use it on my lashes. Not like they're short or particularly sparse, I just wanted to see. I did it for 5 days and ended up with clogged eyelash follicles and swollen eyelids. I can't believe people on here recommend this for eyelashes when it is SO dangerous. Don't understand how I'm only one of the few to get an infection from this. Beware!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff stings like hell if you get it in your eyes so I haven't been able to use it for eyelash growth but I have used it and loved it on my brows. It feels sticky like honey but once you get past that it's alright.

on 5/14/2015 9:19:00 AM

I have been using castor oil(Heritage brand cold pressed ordered from vitacost.com) and love it. My eyelashes ans eyebrows are fuller. I have used it to get rid of small skin tags. They just fell off! I have also used it to fade sun spots on my face. I have used it on my eyelids to help sleep. It is amazing how fast i went to sleep! Sometimes I used it on my whole face(it is thick) but my face feels amazing soft in the morning and not greasy at all! My daughter has used it on her nose(lots of blackheads) they were gone in 2 nights! This stuff is amazing!!! and CHEAP!

on 3/9/2015 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this initially to try to grow my thin Asian lashes a bit but realized that the massive bottle meant I could experiment with it as a moisturizer, too.

I've been using it for about 2-3 months now.. my lashes are, unfortunately, no longer than when I started out (or if they are longer, it is definitely not noticeable). I've been using this on my lashes, my brows, and my face. I'm pretty sure I'm breaking out from this.. I've been getting more acne than usual, which is highly noticeable because I very, very rarely get acne.

I also tried it on a chest for a week or so and actually got a few cystic zits there.. I've had trouble with body acne before but never cystic on my chest.

The texture is quite sticky and the smell isn't incredibly strong but it isn't that pleasant, either. It does dissipate quickly though.

All in all it really didn't do anything for me other than perhaps give me some acne, haha. It's modestly moisturizing, but I do have very dry skin esp in the winter so that might just be me. I'll continue to use it probably for quite a while since even with religious use I have 90% of the bottle left after 2-3 mths, but I'll be more careful about where I use it to try to avoid encouraging acne. Will update if I see a difference with lashes.

Popular Brows Products