Filtered by skin type : Dry

4.1

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 8/25/2017 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Castor oil is really thick. I mix it with sweet almond oil and....
Use it as a mascara remover, since it doesn't sting, it's inexpensive, and moisturizing.
Add essential oils like Rosemary, cedar, eucalyptus, orange, and use it as a hair oil treatment.

Does it grow lashes and brows? Well I haven't seen any difference, but I'm tired of over the counter products that are expensive, trial and error, mistakes or rip offs.

on 12/11/2016 7:36:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I have never used castor oil on my lashes or brows.

I do use it regularly in my hair as a leave in conditioner and curl definer. I have long, color treated, naturally curly hair that is prone to frizz, breakage, and damage. I pour a dime to nickel sized drop in my palm, rub my hands together and squeeze the oil into the lower third of my hair -- especially the ends. It is sort of the old scrunch technique. I do this to wet hair after washing.

Nothing controls frizz, softens brittleness, or defines curls better. Castor oil has an interesting lipstick-base smell. Not everyone will like it, but it does remind me of lipsticks from my childhood.

Leftover oil gets rubbed into nails and cuticles.

on 7/7/2016 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I dare to call this a miracle worker.
I'm kind of ashamed I didn't think of using it earlier than last month. You must know that here in Italy, the first thing anyone associates to castor oil are fascists tortures, as prisoners were forced to drink it and well, it resulted in painful bowels actions. The fact that the alleged inventor of this torture is also my favourite poet in the world, well, made it sound ever creepier. So I never thought of this product as a positive cosmetic help, due to my totally justified and legit dislike of fascists (am I really mixing make up and politics? Oh lord take this laptop from my hands and throw it away)
I use many oils (olive extra virgin, coconut, flaxseed, karite, jojoba, tea tree) and prepare this mix I appy on my hair about twice a week. I recently bought castoir oil - from the excellent made in Italy, 100% organic brand Forsan - to be added in this mix, and the results are satisfying; I would like to use it alone, but my hair absorb it so fast it seems I have to waste half bottle for one conditioning.
But why did I call it miracle worker? Well, ask my brows. As a teenager, I did extreme damage to my brows, due to poor knowledge and experience in grooming them, and basically cut the right part of the right brow for good. Until now, not many hair grew back, and it still looks like it's missing something. Left eye (oh man am I really getting emotional thinking about our beloved deceased TLC baby girl?) instead is in better conditions, but still has empty parts. So, I applied castor oil and massaged it every night before bed and, if I'm home during the day, I don't mind having a shiny oil on my brows (even if my husband finds it disgusting but then I remind him the time he almost shat himself at our goddamn wedding, like really? You almost blasted on your Ferragamo dress and you still dare to call me disgusting? Boy bye) so let's say it stays there for about 10 hours a day. Well, after about 10 days of use, I was impressed to see that my brows look fuller than ever.
I've always been scared and unconfortable with all that pomade-stencils-pencils-stuff fashion thing and I wonder how girls are able to wake up near their man looking completely different from the night before - it's not my business, but I'm into horror stories and this one is definitely a horror story. And what if I sweat like a pig? Would it look like a bird shat on my eyeballs? No way! So, thanks to castor oil I can finally fullfil my desire of better brows, in a natural, confortable way, with excellent results in no time. I will use it everyday for the next months and will tell you how it works, maybe I'll share pictures!
Oh and I'm using this on lashes too, I don't see any precise improvement but for sure even the cheapest mascara looks a loooot better than before! Surely they're all conditioned and nice now. I don't have blurry vision problems because of it, as other people have stated. Don't be scared, nothing will happen to you! It's non toxic at all.

Fun fact: when I was doing research after hearing for the first time the english name of the product, I googled an invented italian translation for it. "Castoro" in italian means "BEAVER", resulting in me literally googling "BEAVER OIL", so I was totally shocked at the idea of a poor beaver all squeezed and melted for my hair benefit. EW.

UPDATE! After a full month using this, I can definitely tell the difference. It is pure wonder! I applied every night except one I went straight to bed after a night out, and I usually use a sleep mask for preventing light (if there's the tiniest electronic light in the room I won't close an eye) so the oil was kept warm under it. The brow tails are finally perfect after years they were kind of missing expecially the right one. Hair are quite thicker and darker (they've always been much lighter than my hair roots), and I finally dare to apply some tiny lines of brow pencil just for fun, something I was too ashamed of doing before as the difference was striking. COOL!
Lashes - drum roll - are pushed up like I wear a brown or clear mascara! I never complained about them as they were normal and long enough, but now, hey hey! I won't complain about any improvement!

UPDATE YO: Brows are full, lashes are cool, lips are thick and nourished and I can wear kids facepaint as lipstick and still look perfect and hydrated. It's the first time ever I feel close to that terrible, tasteless saying "on fleek"
Dude what on earth on fleek means
It's unforgivable

GURL: 2 months later I HAVE THE FULLEST BROWS EVER. This is insane and if I keep using it I might become Chewbacca - well kind of. For sure now I have to take care of a new problem: MONOBROW. What the actual f**k dude. Grooming is becoming annoying. Really, it's incredible. It's the first holistic treatment that worked 100% for me. So, bear this in mind if you follow the same path: thiss oil worked on me, but for example on the very face and hair the miracolous holy coconut oil doesn't work except basic skin hydration that any other cream would achieve. So..
The worst thing that might happen to you it's that you might get greasy for nothing useful. Nothing that should stop you from trying :D

UPDATE 18 december 2016: it's been 6 months since I fell in love with castor oil and its effects are unstoppable. I mentioned that I use it as a night lips balm right? Well it's definitely helping growing MOTHERF****N MOUSTACHES
The other day I was at the movies with my husband when, while in line for tickets, he stared at me and said: "Honey, are you becoming hipster? What are THOSE?" pointing my upper lip and making me ask myself "Do I want to keep living?"
I spent the next three hours wearing my scarf up to the nose and definitely looked like a rebel ready to drop a paper bomb on a capitalistic pigs shelter. Gotta discontinue this for the lips (and using my beloved Dior's Lip Maximizer as night treatment instead, which works wonders

Didn't see any difference in growth rate as a hair mask. Used this for a month. Honestly, just makes it softer but many oils will do that. I penetrated the scalp with it (+a barrier almond oil) upside down many times with inversion method (God, I am desperate to grow out this bad cut!) but it didn't really work. If I needed a hair mask for silkiness than this is an option, but I'd hoped for accelerated growth, which definitely didn't happen.

Also, I stupidly decided to use it on my lashes. Not like they're short or particularly sparse, I just wanted to see. I did it for 5 days and ended up with clogged eyelash follicles and swollen eyelids. I can't believe people on here recommend this for eyelashes when it is SO dangerous. Don't understand how I'm only one of the few to get an infection from this. Beware!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff stings like hell if you get it in your eyes so I haven't been able to use it for eyelash growth but I have used it and loved it on my brows. It feels sticky like honey but once you get past that it's alright.

on 5/14/2015 9:19:00 AM

I have been using castor oil(Heritage brand cold pressed ordered from vitacost.com) and love it. My eyelashes ans eyebrows are fuller. I have used it to get rid of small skin tags. They just fell off! I have also used it to fade sun spots on my face. I have used it on my eyelids to help sleep. It is amazing how fast i went to sleep! Sometimes I used it on my whole face(it is thick) but my face feels amazing soft in the morning and not greasy at all! My daughter has used it on her nose(lots of blackheads) they were gone in 2 nights! This stuff is amazing!!! and CHEAP!

on 3/9/2015 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this initially to try to grow my thin Asian lashes a bit but realized that the massive bottle meant I could experiment with it as a moisturizer, too.

I've been using it for about 2-3 months now.. my lashes are, unfortunately, no longer than when I started out (or if they are longer, it is definitely not noticeable). I've been using this on my lashes, my brows, and my face. I'm pretty sure I'm breaking out from this.. I've been getting more acne than usual, which is highly noticeable because I very, very rarely get acne.

I also tried it on a chest for a week or so and actually got a few cystic zits there.. I've had trouble with body acne before but never cystic on my chest.

The texture is quite sticky and the smell isn't incredibly strong but it isn't that pleasant, either. It does dissipate quickly though.

All in all it really didn't do anything for me other than perhaps give me some acne, haha. It's modestly moisturizing, but I do have very dry skin esp in the winter so that might just be me. I'll continue to use it probably for quite a while since even with religious use I have 90% of the bottle left after 2-3 mths, but I'll be more careful about where I use it to try to avoid encouraging acne. Will update if I see a difference with lashes.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I bought a bottle of castor oil to try for the oil cleansing method a while ago, but I didn't like it for that so I gave it a shot on my brows after seeing some of the positive reviews on Makeupalley. I use a tiny drop shared across both brows with a quick swipe of my finger, focusing on my poor bald spot in my brows. I've been using it consistently each night for about a month, and unfortunately the results are no different than when I used Vaseline previously.

I have read that moisturizers like Vaseline and castor oil don't help with encouraging actual hair growth but they do prevent breakage of the hair, which leads to the appearance of faster growth. Other people may have different experiences, but for me this is spot on since my brows are a tiny bit longer than they were before. However, in the one spot where I over tweezed and sorely wish I hadn't, there has not been any new growth.

Overall, this didn't work for me in the way I had hoped (stimulating growth in my eyebrow bald spot), but it still was effective at conditioning my brow hairs and preventing breakage. If you have some castor oil (or any other oil/petroleum jelly) around, it may be worth giving a shot but it's not something I would repurchase specifically for this purpose.

on 12/17/2014 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

I tried castor oil about a year or so ago to grow out my edges and help my poor wimpy little eyebrows but wasn't consistent with it and just couldn't seem to get it to work for me. I was making the mistake of using it plain and no matter how small of an amount you use, if you use it alone it will be too thick and sticky.

Fast forward to about 3 months ago and i started mixing it with avocado oil (1/3 castor oil, 2/3 avocado oil) in a small bottle for removing eye makeup and i started noticing how much thicker and longer my lashes looked. I noticed they were fuller first and now they're longer, to the point that it looks like i'm wearing one coat of mascara even when they're bare. I've started to using around my edges in the front to hopefully grow out my bangs faster. Good stuff and it really does work if you use it sparingly and consistently.

on 11/23/2014 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I've been using castor oil (Now Solutions brand) for about... hmm.. the 8 months or so? I first got it to help grow back my pixie hair cut faster. Then I remembered that lots and lots of people swear by it for growing back or conditioning their lashes and brows.

I'm of East Asian descent and I have very sparse, thin, stick straight lashes and brows. You know you're playing a dangerous game when you're plucking your brows and you pick ONE wrong brow hair and it's GAME OVER. Now you have a giant bald spot you have to fake being full with makeup til who knows when it will grow back. The thing is, I was quite overzealous with this when I was a young teen and it NEVER GREW BACK. This plucking business is even more dangerous for me because I have such thin, sparse brows. So that is the sad, sad story of how I came to have a giant bald spot on my left eyebrow many years ago.

I really wasn't expecting much of anything when I started putting this on my brows and lashes. Just to let you know, it's not a miracle potion or anything. I really only started using it for extra conditioning properties and figured it wouldn't hurt. I wasn't expecting any growth from it at all, and it really didn't do anything for a long while, and I went about my usual daily business of placing that extra dark brown powder in my bald spot and wrestling with my curler and mascara to try to enhance what I've got (or what I haven't got..?). But then one day I noticed that hey! What the cabbage??? I don't have to put on as much brow powder anymore! And I took a step back and just LOOKED at my brows. HEY! HEY BUDDY, YOU'RE BACK! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN THE PAST DECADE??

And SO folks, THAT is the story of how my left brow was united with its old buddy, the brow hairs, after a decade long absence. In fact, castor oil brings a little TOO many buddies all over my eyelids in a much shorter amount of time than before I started using it. Now I actually have to spend some quality time with my tweezerman tweezers. Castor oil didn't make my brows or lashes grow any THICKER or anything, but I am perfectly happy for this incredibly cheap remedy because my brow buddies are BACK and I don't mind plucking a some extra hairs from time to time. And I'm pretty sure it's castor oil that is making the difference because I've been using lots of different oils as moisturizer/lash conditioner for years now, and have also tried vaseline as well, and they didn't do anything in terms of growth.

As for my lashes, like I said, it didn't help with volume or anything, but my lashes are DEFINITELY longer and actually visible now with mascara on (I take before and after pictures of everything, particularly for skin improvements). Even my partner noticed, and he never notices /anything/. But take this with a grain of salt because it could also be because I took a break from curling my lashes and putting on mascara every single day for a little while. I just like to use it for conditioning my lashes (my full n soft waterproof mascara I've been using for the past 4 years or so is definitely too strong for my eyes and probably lashes, as it makes my eyes bloodshot and water and burn a bit.. oh well time to make the switch), and don't expect it to give me the fake lash effect.

I really just think this helps you reach your body's natural potential for hair growth, that's been stopped for whatever reason. My pixie cut is reaching my shoulders now too, after 6 months of usage, but I don't want to be too hasty and say that that is castor oil all by itself, because I also used rosemary essential oil as well (which is also supposed to stimulate growth, but it's also INCREDIBLY AMAZINGGGG if you have hair that gets oily really fast like I do - just put several drops mixed with water/aloe on your scalp after showers - it doesn't make your hair greasy AT ALL if it is not diluted rosemary oil.. NOW Foods/Solutions 4 oz bottle on amazon that I bought feels definitely diluted... But Aura Cacia's did not. What a waste of money!). And I also did apple cider vinegar rinses after shampooing. (If you are doing ACV rinses, and if pH of hair things matters to you: you can see on kimmaytube's pH test of commonly used hair things video that only 1/4 tsp of it, which is a TINY amount, in 4 oz. of water = half a cup of water, brings the pH of ACV to 4.0, which is okay and won't eat away your hair or anything, assuming your water has a pH of 7. So yeah, it doesn't take a lot to get good effects is all I'm sayin'.)

Oh, one thing to consider though, I have read that it's extremely dangerous for workers to harvest the castor plant. From what I know, a lot of people since ancient times have made use of this plant for all sorts of things so I'm thinking it should be okay if done safely, but I do not know what the working conditions are for mass-produced castor oil/etc. from the company I order from is like, so I'm opting to go with Mountain Rose Herb's brand next time I order because they seem like they're a lot more aware of these kinds of things. This concerns me a lot, as I wouldn't want others to get hurt or potentially die partly because little ol' me wants to look a little better on this side of the world.

So yeah. In summary, castor oil helped with the growth of my hairs. I hope that helped someone. Yey i actually finished something

Popular Brows Products