Filtered by skin tone : Fair

4.2

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have only been using this for a week so I feel like I may be writing this a bit prematurely, BUT. Wow. I can see such a difference already! I use it for brows and lashes. I was another victim of the thin eyebrow trend and have pretty pathetic patchy brows. I slather this on at night and massage it in. The sparse areas are filling in already! Im kind of dumbfounded as to how quickly this seems to be working for me. My eyelashes have been tortured with extensions on and off for the past 5 years. Sometimes I like to have a break and wear mascara. My lashes are blonde, thin and short. But holy crap. they seem mm's longer already. It's almost as if my brows and lashes have been screaming out for nutrition and have sucked it up like a dehydrated plant. I will do an update in a month or so and maybe upload pics! Side note: I also use this as a lup balm at night, its sooo moisturising. And under my eyes to try and nourish the dark circles. Such an awesome product!

on 12/11/2016 7:05:00 AM

If I could give this a zero, I totally would, it`s been a nightmare oil that`s caused nothing but problems for me. I`ve tried using it to regrow my eyebrow hair, been patient and applied a tiny amount nightly to my brows for well over 1 month, and nothing happened. The only hairs that appeared were really low, close to my eyelid, which is where they usually regrow anyway and I usually have to tweeze because otherwise my eyeshadow doesn`t apply properly. Not only did it not grow any new hair, it actually irritated the heck out of my eyelids, which became raw red, puffy and creepy like never before. Whoever tells you this stuff is good for you or will regrow hair is getting paid or is off their rocker. So irresponsible of you, to go around hyping products that are bad for people.

UPDATE: According to my dermatologist castor oil is comedogenic and will cause premature aging of the skin.

on 10/27/2016 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This stuff is causing my brows to re-grow!
I am also applying this to cystic acne. It heals it immediately and halts the spread. I blend it with minerals when I need coverage.

on 10/14/2016 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I didn't have luck with this. :( I have a patch in the front of my left brow that is over tweezed and once I realized it, I've been trying to grow it back. I left it alone and some grew back naturally but it's very sparse. I contacted a micro blade artist about doing that and she said to try castor as my brows are pretty thick and it might not be enough to fill it to match my natural ones. So I picked it up. I also started using Hair skin and nails supplements a little before the castor oil.

One of the first things I did was put some into a smaller travel container so it would be easier to use. I have been using this for a few months now, on my lashes and brows. I would rub it a little under my eyes as well to seal in my moisturizers/just for extra protection. I got a few small styes and wondered if it was the castor. I previously used Vaseline with cocoa butter EVERY night on my lashes and eye circles and had no problems and I actually really loved that. I liked how it felt in the am where the castor felt more...Idk like I got more crusty with it and less nourishing. I also started to notice little clogged pores around my brow, but I kept up with it because I do get those sometimes anyway.

I knew it was going to take some time, but after a few months, I really didn't feel it was helping at all. Even with the supplements, I haven't had any growth more than what I did initially. I'm not trying to bash castor, I think it's worth a try for the price. But it doesn't work for everyone/every situation. I went back to the Vaseline and also ordered RapidLash to try on that patch as well as on my lashes.

I also think based on my experience with it on my brows and lashes that it wouldn't work for me to do the OCM with. I have tried that in the past with other oils and haven't found that magical one that works for me yet anyway, but I wouldn't attempt with this because I think my skin doesn't love it as much. I'm trying to find other uses for it though, because I know there are many.

on 9/22/2016 11:53:00 PM

I have always been sceptical of "natural" remedies for hair growth and skin. Being a woman of science I can't help but roll my eyes when people try bullshit me with natural alternatives. Yes they have their place, but lets face it our "natural" look is one of ageing gracefully, hair loss, and less than desirable hair colours. But i digress! This product has shaken my anti-natural stance to the very core!!! IT'S INCREDIBLE! My eyebrows started getting think thin, patching and all around sad about a year ago. I wanted the lush eyebrows of my youth (which i tragically plucked away when I was a teenager).
Then i read about castor oil and wanted to put it to the test, what could i lose right?
I followed a regime outlined on this site-
- I cleanse my face and exfoliate
- I put two drops of essential teatree oil in sterile water (boiled)
- Wait for it to cool and brush my eyebrows for a 1-2 mins
- Dip a cotton tip in the oil and lightly glaze my eyebrows (Very lightly!) You don't want to use too much because its a thick oil
After 1 week i have BUSHMAN eyebrows! I wish i'd taken a before and after picture
I can't wait too see them next week!
Just note- Go for cold-pressed organic castor oil so the refining process is minimal and all the good shit isn't lost!

on 8/9/2016 11:02:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I use this on my lashes and brows and it really does help reduce hair loss and my brows seem a lot thicker now (keep in mind I've been using this off and on for over a year, it's not a quick fix). I have also tried this on my scalp as I have thinning hair but I find it's rather thick and difficult to apply. I tried mixing it with 1/4 jojoba oil, 3/4 castor oil to thin it out and that helped with the application (I do not use the thinned out mix on brows). Also using a dropper helps with application to the scalp as well. I sleep with it on and wash my hair in the morning, you definitely don't want to be going out with this much oil on your head, it doesn't absorb much.
I picked up a huge bottle at a local nutrition place for about $15cad which I feel is a good price. Would repurchase.

I had read about the wonders of castor oil for hair growth many years ago in a book of home remedies, and I thought, "Silly hippies, whatever!" Then, I read about castor oil on this wonderful site, and I thought, "Brilliant Makeup Alley geniuses, maybe I should try it!" So I went to the local health food store and bought a bottle of organic castor oil for about $9. My brows really got the shaft during the whole pencil thin brow thing in the '90s, and who doesn't want crazy lush lashes? I do! I've been putting it on my brows and eyelashes for about one and a half months, and I have noticed a serious difference in the past few days. The tails of my brows, where the most damage was done, are growing all sorts of shiny, strong, dark, beautiful hairs. And my lashes, especially the lower lash line, which was always so puny, have nearly doubled. It's ridiculous. It's exciting. I am well on my way to Eugene Levy eyebrows. Okay, maybe Brooke Shields.
AN UPDATE: Well, I've been using castor oil at least three times a week for several months, and my brows are fabulously lush and beautiful. I'm very proud of them. My lashes are pretty gorgeous too. One caveat, though, as you grow your new, luxurious brows and lashes, you will be tempted to buy new mascaras, eyelash curlers, and brow grooming products. Go ahead, I say. Buy the new goodies for your new lovely brows and lashes!

on 7/7/2016 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I dare to call this a miracle worker.
I'm kind of ashamed I didn't think of using it earlier than last month. You must know that here in Italy, the first thing anyone associates to castor oil are fascists tortures, as prisoners were forced to drink it and well, it resulted in painful bowels actions. The fact that the alleged inventor of this torture is also my favourite poet in the world, well, made it sound ever creepier. So I never thought of this product as a positive cosmetic help, due to my totally justified and legit dislike of fascists (am I really mixing make up and politics? Oh lord take this laptop from my hands and throw it away)
I use many oils (olive extra virgin, coconut, flaxseed, karite, jojoba, tea tree) and prepare this mix I appy on my hair about twice a week. I recently bought castoir oil - from the excellent made in Italy, 100% organic brand Forsan - to be added in this mix, and the results are satisfying; I would like to use it alone, but my hair absorb it so fast it seems I have to waste half bottle for one conditioning.
But why did I call it miracle worker? Well, ask my brows. As a teenager, I did extreme damage to my brows, due to poor knowledge and experience in grooming them, and basically cut the right part of the right brow for good. Until now, not many hair grew back, and it still looks like it's missing something. Left eye (oh man am I really getting emotional thinking about our beloved deceased TLC baby girl?) instead is in better conditions, but still has empty parts. So, I applied castor oil and massaged it every night before bed and, if I'm home during the day, I don't mind having a shiny oil on my brows (even if my husband finds it disgusting but then I remind him the time he almost shat himself at our goddamn wedding, like really? You almost blasted on your Ferragamo dress and you still dare to call me disgusting? Boy bye) so let's say it stays there for about 10 hours a day. Well, after about 10 days of use, I was impressed to see that my brows look fuller than ever.
I've always been scared and unconfortable with all that pomade-stencils-pencils-stuff fashion thing and I wonder how girls are able to wake up near their man looking completely different from the night before - it's not my business, but I'm into horror stories and this one is definitely a horror story. And what if I sweat like a pig? Would it look like a bird shat on my eyeballs? No way! So, thanks to castor oil I can finally fullfil my desire of better brows, in a natural, confortable way, with excellent results in no time. I will use it everyday for the next months and will tell you how it works, maybe I'll share pictures!
Oh and I'm using this on lashes too, I don't see any precise improvement but for sure even the cheapest mascara looks a loooot better than before! Surely they're all conditioned and nice now. I don't have blurry vision problems because of it, as other people have stated. Don't be scared, nothing will happen to you! It's non toxic at all.

Fun fact: when I was doing research after hearing for the first time the english name of the product, I googled an invented italian translation for it. "Castoro" in italian means "BEAVER", resulting in me literally googling "BEAVER OIL", so I was totally shocked at the idea of a poor beaver all squeezed and melted for my hair benefit. EW.

UPDATE! After a full month using this, I can definitely tell the difference. It is pure wonder! I applied every night except one I went straight to bed after a night out, and I usually use a sleep mask for preventing light (if there's the tiniest electronic light in the room I won't close an eye) so the oil was kept warm under it. The brow tails are finally perfect after years they were kind of missing expecially the right one. Hair are quite thicker and darker (they've always been much lighter than my hair roots), and I finally dare to apply some tiny lines of brow pencil just for fun, something I was too ashamed of doing before as the difference was striking. COOL!
Lashes - drum roll - are pushed up like I wear a brown or clear mascara! I never complained about them as they were normal and long enough, but now, hey hey! I won't complain about any improvement!

UPDATE YO: Brows are full, lashes are cool, lips are thick and nourished and I can wear kids facepaint as lipstick and still look perfect and hydrated. It's the first time ever I feel close to that terrible, tasteless saying "on fleek"
Dude what on earth on fleek means
It's unforgivable

GURL: 2 months later I HAVE THE FULLEST BROWS EVER. This is insane and if I keep using it I might become Chewbacca - well kind of. For sure now I have to take care of a new problem: MONOBROW. What the actual f**k dude. Grooming is becoming annoying. Really, it's incredible. It's the first holistic treatment that worked 100% for me. So, bear this in mind if you follow the same path: thiss oil worked on me, but for example on the very face and hair the miracolous holy coconut oil doesn't work except basic skin hydration that any other cream would achieve. So..
The worst thing that might happen to you it's that you might get greasy for nothing useful. Nothing that should stop you from trying :D

UPDATE 18 december 2016: it's been 6 months since I fell in love with castor oil and its effects are unstoppable. I mentioned that I use it as a night lips balm right? Well it's definitely helping growing MOTHERF****N MOUSTACHES
The other day I was at the movies with my husband when, while in line for tickets, he stared at me and said: "Honey, are you becoming hipster? What are THOSE?" pointing my upper lip and making me ask myself "Do I want to keep living?"
I spent the next three hours wearing my scarf up to the nose and definitely looked like a rebel ready to drop a paper bomb on a capitalistic pigs shelter. Gotta discontinue this for the lips (and using my beloved Dior's Lip Maximizer as night treatment instead, which works wonders

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I got castor oil after reading it helped some people to get rid of their chalazion. It didn't do that for me. I have had it for nearly two years now. I think it's time to accept I need it to be surgically removed.

It is the thickest oil I have ever seen. While I was dealing with my chalazion, I got a mild infection on my belly button. I applied castor oil on that area for 4-5 days in a row and it's completely gone. In the meantime I tried to put it on my face in replace of rose hip oil just to see how it goes, put 2-3 drops on a cotton wiped my face with it, then another 2-3 drops because it's too thick it goes away after wiping just one cheek. Wow. It made me skin get super soft. More than rose hip oil does. I have had a stubborn cystic acne scar on my chin for more than a month, in just 24 hours I noticed it started to disappear. Although it is a thick oil, it surprisingly did not make me break out on my oily tzone, nor the next day that area was oilier. I'm not thinking about using it every day but so far it has been an excellent once a week treatment.

(I used on my eyelashes only).Miracle worker! After reading many postive reviews, i purchased Rexall brand castor oil in the laxative section of my local grocery store. Cost around a dollar. I am really bad about sticking to beauty routines, but i managed to apply it twice a week for a month. I poured a bit of oil on the back of my hand,rubbed a clean mascara wand in it,wiped off the excess and applied it just like mascara. And wow! My broken off lashes grew back in,and I would swear they were slightly longer too! Actually haven't used in about 8 months, but the new growth remains. Applied again today, I would like to start using regularly again and see what happens.

Popular Brows Products