Filtered by skin tone : Fair

4.2

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 6/3/2018 2:33:00 PM

I visited my little sister after about a month of not seeing her, and I was amazed at how long her eyelashes were. She's always had very short, straight, flat eyelashes, and suddenly they were 3 times the length, fuller and curled upwards. She told me she had been putting castor oil on them at night.

It's been about a month of me applying castor oil (just regular cheap not special) on my eyelashes and I am AMAZED. I was not at all religious with it, I only used it maybe twice a week when I went to bed. Just by 8 ish uses my lashes are way longer, thicker and there's way more of them. I work as a cosmetician and every customer I have is convinced I have falsies on or extensions. I always recommend castor oil over the expensive fancy serums we sell. I had a big gap in my lashes from ripping them out with falsies and within a week that gap was full of long, thick lashes. I have 3, maybe 4 rows of lashes now compared to 1. Serums don't give volume but this does like crazy. I absolutely adore the look of my lashes now, even more than the look of falsies. The outer corners of my lashes are the hardest to grow, but the lashes there are so crazy long and thick now that it gives my eyes the perfect winged look. I actually can't wear natural falsies now because my lashes are longer than them.

Pleeease save your money and try this, just apply with a fresh Q tip before bed on your lash line and wash off in the morning. It worked on making my eyebrows more full too.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Castor oil has been absolutely amazing on my hair! It is now thicker, and the grey hair falls out. I use a mask of it on weekends, sleeping with a plastic shower cap. I also use it on my eyebrows and eyelashes, getting similar results.
I’m looking for an inexpensive shampoo that will get the oil out of my hair. Does anyone have recommendations?

on 1/2/2018 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've been using castor oil for around a month now and I've been happy with the results! I've noticed it has helped with the growth of my eyebrows. My right eyebrow is not as sparse as it used to be. I also have to trim my eyebrow hairs more often. I've always had decently long eyelashes, but they are a bit longer since using castor oil. My lashes also feel stronger and less brittle. I had a gap in my lashes and noticed that it grew out faster with the use of castor oil.

I have not noticed any breakouts due to the castor oil. I would recommend using this before commiting to latisse or revitalash.

Update: I’ve been using castor oil for around 4 months now. I had knee surgery and needed 6 weeks recovery. During those 6 weeks, I didn’t touch tweezers. I Iet them grow out. My eyebrows are now at their natural state. I think the castor oil did help keep them healthy and facilitate growth. My eyelashes are now MUCH thicker. Castor oil has helped more with thickness than length. I used to apply it once or even twice a day. Now I do my best to apply it nightly, but I often forget. I probably apply it 4-5x a week at night. I think how you remove your makeup is also important. I suggest an oil based remover to lessen tugging at eyelashes. This will help you keep more of them! I still recommend trying castor oil before commiting to a $60+ bottle of eyelash serum.

on 10/27/2017 7:36:00 AM

I would never have believed this if I hadn't tried it, after accidentally bumping into the reviews here. Like, Health Canada could be publishing PSAs on this, and I'd still be going "Nah, I'm sure it wouldn't do that. Not for me, anyway. Probably straight up placebo...people want to believe it will work, so they convince themselves that it does..."

TWO WEEKS IN I HAVE THICKER BROWS, HOLY BALLS

Wowza. They have always been narrow and sparse, and they were starting to get patchy as I got older -- not an overplucking issue; I've always just had to remove the odd "I'm going to start my own thing over here!" brow and that's it. And the "balding" patches are filling in like crazy. In _two weeks_.

I bought it ("Sunny Isle Jamaican Black") because it was on sale and I had long meant to grab some for other uses -- homemade lip balms etc -- but the reviews here convinced me to give it a whirl elsewhere. Thank you, MUAers!!

It's perfect in one of those tubes with a brush usually used for lip gloss or cuticle oil (empty ones are cheap on eBay).

Unfortunately effects on eyelashes = zero -- will update if that changes. But I'm pretty much ready to start bathing in this stuff, given all the rave reviews for all sorts of uses. I do a lot of skin care DIY stuff and have a lot of different oils and have never ever had a OMG, BEST EVER! moment with one like this. It's all the more amazing that it was a reasonable price and did not make any absurd claims on the bottle (a huge part of what pushed me off to DIY stuff...).

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have only been using this for a week so I feel like I may be writing this a bit prematurely, BUT. Wow. I can see such a difference already! I use it for brows and lashes. I was another victim of the thin eyebrow trend and have pretty pathetic patchy brows. I slather this on at night and massage it in. The sparse areas are filling in already! Im kind of dumbfounded as to how quickly this seems to be working for me. My eyelashes have been tortured with extensions on and off for the past 5 years. Sometimes I like to have a break and wear mascara. My lashes are blonde, thin and short. But holy crap. they seem mm's longer already. It's almost as if my brows and lashes have been screaming out for nutrition and have sucked it up like a dehydrated plant. I will do an update in a month or so and maybe upload pics! Side note: I also use this as a lup balm at night, its sooo moisturising. And under my eyes to try and nourish the dark circles. Such an awesome product!

on 12/11/2016 7:05:00 AM

If I could give this a zero, I totally would, it`s been a nightmare oil that`s caused nothing but problems for me. I`ve tried using it to regrow my eyebrow hair, been patient and applied a tiny amount nightly to my brows for well over 1 month, and nothing happened. The only hairs that appeared were really low, close to my eyelid, which is where they usually regrow anyway and I usually have to tweeze because otherwise my eyeshadow doesn`t apply properly. Not only did it not grow any new hair, it actually irritated the heck out of my eyelids, which became raw red, puffy and creepy like never before. Whoever tells you this stuff is good for you or will regrow hair is getting paid or is off their rocker. So irresponsible of you, to go around hyping products that are bad for people.

UPDATE: According to my dermatologist castor oil is comedogenic and will cause premature aging of the skin.

on 10/27/2016 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This stuff is causing my brows to re-grow!
I am also applying this to cystic acne. It heals it immediately and halts the spread. I blend it with minerals when I need coverage.

on 10/14/2016 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I didn't have luck with this. :( I have a patch in the front of my left brow that is over tweezed and once I realized it, I've been trying to grow it back. I left it alone and some grew back naturally but it's very sparse. I contacted a micro blade artist about doing that and she said to try castor as my brows are pretty thick and it might not be enough to fill it to match my natural ones. So I picked it up. I also started using Hair skin and nails supplements a little before the castor oil.

One of the first things I did was put some into a smaller travel container so it would be easier to use. I have been using this for a few months now, on my lashes and brows. I would rub it a little under my eyes as well to seal in my moisturizers/just for extra protection. I got a few small styes and wondered if it was the castor. I previously used Vaseline with cocoa butter EVERY night on my lashes and eye circles and had no problems and I actually really loved that. I liked how it felt in the am where the castor felt more...Idk like I got more crusty with it and less nourishing. I also started to notice little clogged pores around my brow, but I kept up with it because I do get those sometimes anyway.

I knew it was going to take some time, but after a few months, I really didn't feel it was helping at all. Even with the supplements, I haven't had any growth more than what I did initially. I'm not trying to bash castor, I think it's worth a try for the price. But it doesn't work for everyone/every situation. I went back to the Vaseline and also ordered RapidLash to try on that patch as well as on my lashes.

I also think based on my experience with it on my brows and lashes that it wouldn't work for me to do the OCM with. I have tried that in the past with other oils and haven't found that magical one that works for me yet anyway, but I wouldn't attempt with this because I think my skin doesn't love it as much. I'm trying to find other uses for it though, because I know there are many.

on 9/22/2016 11:53:00 PM

I have always been sceptical of "natural" remedies for hair growth and skin. Being a woman of science I can't help but roll my eyes when people try bullshit me with natural alternatives. Yes they have their place, but lets face it our "natural" look is one of ageing gracefully, hair loss, and less than desirable hair colours. But i digress! This product has shaken my anti-natural stance to the very core!!! IT'S INCREDIBLE! My eyebrows started getting think thin, patching and all around sad about a year ago. I wanted the lush eyebrows of my youth (which i tragically plucked away when I was a teenager).
Then i read about castor oil and wanted to put it to the test, what could i lose right?
I followed a regime outlined on this site-
- I cleanse my face and exfoliate
- I put two drops of essential teatree oil in sterile water (boiled)
- Wait for it to cool and brush my eyebrows for a 1-2 mins
- Dip a cotton tip in the oil and lightly glaze my eyebrows (Very lightly!) You don't want to use too much because its a thick oil
After 1 week i have BUSHMAN eyebrows! I wish i'd taken a before and after picture
I can't wait too see them next week!
Just note- Go for cold-pressed organic castor oil so the refining process is minimal and all the good shit isn't lost!

on 8/9/2016 11:02:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I use this on my lashes and brows and it really does help reduce hair loss and my brows seem a lot thicker now (keep in mind I've been using this off and on for over a year, it's not a quick fix). I have also tried this on my scalp as I have thinning hair but I find it's rather thick and difficult to apply. I tried mixing it with 1/4 jojoba oil, 3/4 castor oil to thin it out and that helped with the application (I do not use the thinned out mix on brows). Also using a dropper helps with application to the scalp as well. I sleep with it on and wash my hair in the morning, you definitely don't want to be going out with this much oil on your head, it doesn't absorb much.
I picked up a huge bottle at a local nutrition place for about $15cad which I feel is a good price. Would repurchase.

Popular Brows Products