4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 12/11/2016 7:05:00 AM

If I could give this a zero, I totally would, it`s been a nightmare oil that`s caused nothing but problems for me. I`ve tried using it to regrow my eyebrow hair, been patient and applied a tiny amount nightly to my brows for well over 1 month, and nothing happened. The only hairs that appeared were really low, close to my eyelid, which is where they usually regrow anyway and I usually have to tweeze because otherwise my eyeshadow doesn`t apply properly. Not only did it not grow any new hair, it actually irritated the heck out of my eyelids, which became raw red, puffy and creepy like never before. Whoever tells you this stuff is good for you or will regrow hair is getting paid or is off their rocker. So irresponsible of you, to go around hyping products that are bad for people.

UPDATE: According to my dermatologist castor oil is comedogenic and will cause premature aging of the skin.

I used this for 2 weeks straight with no sign of improvement. I started losing lashes while removing my makeup and mascara. I don't recommend.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff is awful. How can anyone tolerate it on their eyelids? Based on the reviews I read, I purchased a bottle of hexane-free, cold-pressed castor oil. After two days of use, my eyelids were swollen and incessantly itchy. I developed a rash on the upper and lower lids, and my eyes were inflamed. I did some online research and discovered that castor oil contains ricin--a deadly poison. Ricin can also cause a severe allergic reaction and lead to cornea damage after prolonged use.

I'll stick with my Boots No. 7 Fanomenal Lash Serum. It's slow-acting, but it works. More importantly, it doesn't irritate my eyes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I used cold pressed castor oil ($11 AUD) for 100 mls. Quite expensive. Using it as hair mask, OCM, brows, and lashes. I like to mix this with almond oil and/or coconut oil to help it spread better. For OCM, if I massaged it long enough, I felt tiny grains coming out (I think they're sebum plugs that clog my pores?), so I think that's very cleansing. I only do it 2x a week. For hair, brows, and lashes, I haven't noticed a difference yet in hair growth or any reduction in hair falls (my brows and lashes don't experience hair fall/breakage though) - this is day 4. I found castor oil is quite drying as well. I remembered I put only castor oil the night before on my lashes, then the next morning my eyeliner tugged on my eyelids (usually the eyeliner is smooth and creamy, this is an automatic pencil type of liner). So now I always mix it.

UPDATE 2/12/15: I used this on my brows and eyelashes. Yeah I saw some growth in the brows area, but it clogged my skin! Literally pimples on my brow. Not happy. I'll keep using it for my lashes. No improvement on the hair fall when used as a hair treatment.

OKAY! I think this broke me out so bad! I think it's because of the "ricin" which is a toxic substance in castor oil that can cause severe allergic reaction. I bought cold pressed version and this ricin substance only get inactivated through heat…

Didn't see any difference in growth rate as a hair mask. Used this for a month. Honestly, just makes it softer but many oils will do that. I penetrated the scalp with it (+a barrier almond oil) upside down many times with inversion method (God, I am desperate to grow out this bad cut!) but it didn't really work. If I needed a hair mask for silkiness than this is an option, but I'd hoped for accelerated growth, which definitely didn't happen.

Also, I stupidly decided to use it on my lashes. Not like they're short or particularly sparse, I just wanted to see. I did it for 5 days and ended up with clogged eyelash follicles and swollen eyelids. I can't believe people on here recommend this for eyelashes when it is SO dangerous. Don't understand how I'm only one of the few to get an infection from this. Beware!

I have used grapeseed oil as my only oil for OCM for 8 months and decided to venture out with different oils: enter castor oil. My face was pretty much blemish free and smooth: no complaints! After using 20% castor oil & 80% grapeseed, my face was covered with under skin bumps within 2 uses. I know a purging face can happen, but I never experienced this when using just grapeseed. In my opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I went back to grapeseed oil only, acv toner, and cerave (only until my acne cleared up). I gave the bottle of castor oil to my mom. Hopefully it'll make her eyelashes grow.

on 9/23/2014 9:44:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I've tried this several times in cleansing oil mixes at different ratios and it clogs my pores, breaks me out and irritates my eyes. It works great for some but I won't try it again.

on 8/8/2014 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

No effect on my lashes and brows. Tried for about 6 weeks, twice, after some encouragement from an MUA member who swore it would work! Thanks, but all it did was seep into my eyes at night, no matter how little I used on the base of my lashes, and make my eyes red by morning. But coconut oil has done wonders for my lashes and brows!

on 4/11/2014 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I was really disappointed that this didn't work for me. I tried it on my (very sparse) eyelashes but all it did was give me extremely puffy eyes the next morning so I couldn't persevere with it. Really disappointed but I think I must just be super sensitive to it so I'd say it can't hurt to try it and see. For everyone else it really seems to work.

i've been using this regularly for 2-3 weeks now and have not seen any improvements. in fact, I've been losing more lashes than normal every time i take off my eye-makeup. I apply it nightly using a qtip along the base of my lashes and will put extra on the lashes themselves. i will give it one more week and then if it still doesn't get better, will toss.

Popular Brows Products