Filtered by age: 56 & Over
 Castor Oil

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 10/27/2016 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This stuff is causing my brows to re-grow!
I am also applying this to cystic acne. It heals it immediately and halts the spread. I blend it with minerals when I need coverage.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff is awful. How can anyone tolerate it on their eyelids? Based on the reviews I read, I purchased a bottle of hexane-free, cold-pressed castor oil. After two days of use, my eyelids were swollen and incessantly itchy. I developed a rash on the upper and lower lids, and my eyes were inflamed. I did some online research and discovered that castor oil contains ricin--a deadly poison. Ricin can also cause a severe allergic reaction and lead to cornea damage after prolonged use.

I'll stick with my Boots No. 7 Fanomenal Lash Serum. It's slow-acting, but it works. More importantly, it doesn't irritate my eyes.

on 11/25/2015 1:04:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

I think that after about 1 month of use I have enough evidence to write this review. I started using castor oil on my brows, but without much hope that it will achieve anything. Still, there must've been a glimmer of hope there somewhere :-) - right?
I am the victim of the 70s fashion - thin, archy, plucked eyebrows. My original eyebrows were thick, almost 'manly' in appearance. I've been plucking for so long, that one day I realised that there is no need to pluck any more.
With age, my hair went white, my brows faded, and for a time now I've been dyeing the brows - makes really big difference, but I need to do it about every 2-3 weeks. So this is the background.
About a month ago I decided to try the castor oil magic - mostly incited by positive reviews here. Thank you thank you thank you!!! I bought a bottle of just plain regular castor oil (not organic) at the chemist shop. Very cheap. I had an empty serum pump bottle that could be opened and refilled - I wanted to use a dispensing bottle where there is minimal contact of my fingers with the oil. I've been using the oil most nights (sometimes I forget) and recently started noticing a timid but visible growth under the brows, in the plucked wastelands. I need a good magnifying mirror to actually see these tiny hair, but they are definitely there, and growing, and looking dark. This is not the facial 'fuzz' but proper baby brow hair. I am absolutely thrilled!
I've been using the oil on the lashes as well, but my lashes are decently long and thick, so I didn't notice that much difference.

on 5/14/2015 9:19:00 AM

I have been using castor oil(Heritage brand cold pressed ordered from vitacost.com) and love it. My eyelashes ans eyebrows are fuller. I have used it to get rid of small skin tags. They just fell off! I have also used it to fade sun spots on my face. I have used it on my eyelids to help sleep. It is amazing how fast i went to sleep! Sometimes I used it on my whole face(it is thick) but my face feels amazing soft in the morning and not greasy at all! My daughter has used it on her nose(lots of blackheads) they were gone in 2 nights! This stuff is amazing!!! and CHEAP!

on 1/6/2014 8:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using castor oil for about a year. It has made an incredible difference in my skin. I use it on my face, throat, and chest every time I wash my face. I've done a lot of research on castor oil and wrote an article about how to use it effectively. You can read my article on castor oil at http://www.anniesnuggets.com/search/label/Castor%20Oil

on 8/17/2011 1:52:00 AM

I have been using castor oil on my eyelashes, eyelids and the area around my eyes for about two years. It is a great humectant that keeps moisture in. If you apply it at night you will feel how moist the area around your eyes still is in the morning. Castor oil seems to help my eyelashes stay healthy and keeps them growing too. It is very inexpensive and the bottle will last you a long time. I keep some in a small bottle that I refill and the rest stays in the refrigerator.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

After using Castor Oil on my brows and lashes, I noticed a difference in the growth of both lashes and brows.
My lashes are more filled in and longer, my brows are starting to get thicker.
Although I don't think my brows or lashes will ever be extra-lush (never were) they are lusher than before.

on 10/23/2009 8:14:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This has not changed my eyelashes at all. I've been using it over two months. I put it on the base of my lashes and the lashes themselves at night. Not at all irritating at all tho it sometimes gets slightly into my eyes and makes reading in bed a little difficult. I was really hoping for some dramatic change but haven't seen one. Possibly this is because I have been putting vaseline on my lashes (a trick my mother taught me) ever since I was a young teenager and maybe it works the same and maybe I have gotten as much results as I am going to. To be fair, I have very decent lashes especially for my age (60's) They've never gotten shorter, thinner or lighter as I read from so many women as they age. Perhaps it's just having some sort of grease on your lashes after removing makeup that keeps them in good shape. I plan to keep using this and hoping for more length.

Edit - 9/15 I used up two bottles with no particular results and have gone back to vaseline. I will never use this again mostly because it made such a mess of my nightstand without producing any results. The bottle would periodically tip over without my noticing it and no matter how tightly I had tightened the lid the oil would slowly and quietly leak out and by the time I found it would have hardened to a sticky mess and/or made a huge mess of any fabric item that happened to be nearby. I kept it there rather than in the bathroom because I like to read in bed and if applied ahead of time would smear all over my glasses. So it had to be applied just before I went to sleep. Really this wasn't worth the trouble at all.

Popular Brows Products