Filtered by age: 44-55

4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Castor oil has been absolutely amazing on my hair! It is now thicker, and the grey hair falls out. I use a mask of it on weekends, sleeping with a plastic shower cap. I also use it on my eyebrows and eyelashes, getting similar results.
I’m looking for an inexpensive shampoo that will get the oil out of my hair. Does anyone have recommendations?

on 3/3/2018 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

My daughter actually believed the hype and bought this for MY eyebrows. Ridiculous, putting thick oil on your eyebrows will not make them grow again. I wonder you made up that myth

on 8/25/2017 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Castor oil is really thick. I mix it with sweet almond oil and....
Use it as a mascara remover, since it doesn't sting, it's inexpensive, and moisturizing.
Add essential oils like Rosemary, cedar, eucalyptus, orange, and use it as a hair oil treatment.

Does it grow lashes and brows? (Update: actually yes, my overplucked brows - overplucked 10+ years ago - have new little hairs, so ya: i can't believe it is actually working, even if a little bit.). It's thick and gloopy, but worth it, for even a little bit of growth. If i would apply it daily, maybe it would be better. It's not a routine, yet.

I'm tired of over the counter products that are expensive, trial and error, mistakes or rip offs. This is only about $2 for a bottle, and it has plenty of uses. I am actually suprised to see new little hairs.

on 5/10/2017 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Have been using for two weeks. Applied with clean spoolie. Haven't noticed much change to my sparse Asian brows or lashes, but my combination skin, tending towards dry, and prone to hives and milia has not gone crazy either. (I have been very careful in application though and do not apply to lower lashes). Will continue for another two weeks unless I lose patience. Even if there is no noticeable growth, it's probably good to condition or moisturize my lashes and brows.

UPDATE: I applied CO to curled lashes and my lashes stayed curled for over 12 hours, a definite record. Which makes CO a good option for weekend bare face days. . .

on 12/16/2016 4:01:00 PM

I have been using Humco cold pressed castor oil every night for several months on my brows and under eyes to combat dark circles. My brows are thicker than ever, a few spots that needed filling have grown in, and my dark circles are noticeably decreased. I had a reaction when I used it on my lashes as it clogged my lash line too much, and got a huge painful sty, so can no longer use it on my lashes, but am very happy with the results I achieved by using it on my brows and under eye area.

on 12/11/2016 7:36:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I have never used castor oil on my lashes or brows.

I do use it regularly in my hair as a leave in conditioner and curl definer. I have long, color treated, naturally curly hair that is prone to frizz, breakage, and damage. I pour a dime to nickel sized drop in my palm, rub my hands together and squeeze the oil into the lower third of my hair -- especially the ends. It is sort of the old scrunch technique. I do this to wet hair after washing.

Nothing controls frizz, softens brittleness, or defines curls better. Castor oil has an interesting lipstick-base smell. Not everyone will like it, but it does remind me of lipsticks from my childhood.

Leftover oil gets rubbed into nails and cuticles.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Wow! I have been using this on my eyelashes for about a month, and noticed an improvement within the first 2 weeks. My lashes are normally short -- downright stubby. So, I am thrilled to see that they are growing longer. I can actually see a difference when I curl them now.

Considering how cheap you can get castor oil, it's worth giving it a try. If it doesn't work, you can probably find another use for the oil.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

I used castor oil to grow my brows for about 6 months. I over-tweezed a bit the ends in the 90's and now regret it. The castor oil did fill in my brows, however it also caused a small yet hard whitehead to appear right under my brow. Since then I have stopped using castor oil and the whitehead went away. Currently, I color my brows with Godefroy tiny kit and fill them in with Revlon Brow Fantasy or Hard Candy Brows Now.

on 4/20/2016 1:52:00 PM

After my chemo was completed and had surgery, I decided to try the castor oil on my nonexistent eyelashes and eyebrows. It drove me crazy not having eyelashes and when I tried the false lashes, I glued my eyes shut! LOL! After I came home from the hospital, I would apply castor to my brow area and the rims of my eyes every morning and night. I was able to apply in the morning because I didn't where any makeup while recovering. Within a week, I kid you not, I could see the rims of my eyes darkening due to the tiny little lashes coming in. My brows came in a little slower but within a 3-4 week period I had a full set of normal length lashes. My brows filled in as well but I still had to use brow makeup. I even tried a little on my front scalp just to see and within a week, I could see the little hairs!

on 1/6/2016 9:07:00 AM

I haven't yet tried castor oil for eyelash/eyebrow growth, but I can say this much if you have eczema this oil works wonders. I have eczema inside my ears and nothing has helped with the insane itchiness and flakiness as when this skin condition flares up. I have scratched my ears until they've bled, as they itch so bad during a flare up. I've tried it all - tea tree and lavender oils, shea butter, argan, coconut, and olive oils, Lotrimin, etc. - nothing has cleared up this aggravation until I tried castor oil. I've rubbed the castor oil inside my ears for the past few nights and the results are amazing. No more itch and the flakiness is clearing up entirely. Wow. I don't know if this will work for everyone with eczema or dermatitis, but it's worth a shot. I buy the castor oil from the health food store which is cold pressed and hexane free. It's only around $7 a bottle and it should last a very long time. I also use a 10% blend of castor oil with Apricot Kernel oil for the oil cleansing method. Works great. I'm going to try this oil on my eyelashes and eyebrows and see if it really works for hair growth.

Popular Brows Products