Filtered by age: 36-43

4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 10/27/2017 7:36:00 AM

I would never have believed this if I hadn't tried it, after accidentally bumping into the reviews here. Like, Health Canada could be publishing PSAs on this, and I'd still be going "Nah, I'm sure it wouldn't do that. Not for me, anyway. Probably straight up placebo...people want to believe it will work, so they convince themselves that it does..."

TWO WEEKS IN I HAVE THICKER BROWS, HOLY BALLS

Wowza. They have always been narrow and sparse, and they were starting to get patchy as I got older -- not an overplucking issue; I've always just had to remove the odd "I'm going to start my own thing over here!" brow and that's it. And the "balding" patches are filling in like crazy. In _two weeks_.

I bought it ("Sunny Isle Jamaican Black") because it was on sale and I had long meant to grab some for other uses -- homemade lip balms etc -- but the reviews here convinced me to give it a whirl elsewhere. Thank you, MUAers!!

It's perfect in one of those tubes with a brush usually used for lip gloss or cuticle oil (empty ones are cheap on eBay).

Unfortunately effects on eyelashes = zero -- will update if that changes. But I'm pretty much ready to start bathing in this stuff, given all the rave reviews for all sorts of uses. I do a lot of skin care DIY stuff and have a lot of different oils and have never ever had a OMG, BEST EVER! moment with one like this. It's all the more amazing that it was a reasonable price and did not make any absurd claims on the bottle (a huge part of what pushed me off to DIY stuff...).

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Castor oil: one of the best oils for wrinkles and neck wrinkles!! (My aunt swears by this and she has ZERO wrinkles on her face and neck) and she has had ZERO plastic surgery or botox. (Shes also a vegan which is known to seriously slow down aging). I use this all over my face , eyes, and neck every night. Its very thick but so far being in my mid 30s, some my 20 year old friends look older than me lol. Im going to forever use this stuff every night.

on 12/11/2016 7:05:00 AM

If I could give this a zero, I totally would, it`s been a nightmare oil that`s caused nothing but problems for me. I`ve tried using it to regrow my eyebrow hair, been patient and applied a tiny amount nightly to my brows for well over 1 month, and nothing happened. The only hairs that appeared were really low, close to my eyelid, which is where they usually regrow anyway and I usually have to tweeze because otherwise my eyeshadow doesn`t apply properly. Not only did it not grow any new hair, it actually irritated the heck out of my eyelids, which became raw red, puffy and creepy like never before. Whoever tells you this stuff is good for you or will regrow hair is getting paid or is off their rocker. So irresponsible of you, to go around hyping products that are bad for people.

UPDATE: According to my dermatologist castor oil is comedogenic and will cause premature aging of the skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

In love with this product. I am glad I gave it a shot because truthfully I was extremely skeptical at first. I ahve been using with a q tip and putting it on my eyebrows every night for about a month and I can notice new growth. It is very slow to see but it is definitely doing something. Price is so affordable and it is so worth it!

on 7/30/2016 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

My nails are thin and brittle and I had been using coconut oil and olive oil to moisturize them after I removed my polish, along with a wide array of store bought creams and strengthening treatments.

On a whim, I tried castor oil and OMG.
This is my holy grail nail treatment. It really works!! Nothing else worked as well for me.

After using it for a few months, I'm experiencing much less peeling and breakage. My nails are much thicker and stronger. I'm able grow my nails long and keep them strong even if I use polish removers with acetone.

After removing polish, I wash my hands and dry them, then spread the very thick, gooey oil over my nails and let my nails absorb it over time (it usually takes about 20 minutes to a half hour). Sometimes I repeat the repeat the process. When I am ready to polish my nails, I wash my hands and clean my nail beds with alcohol to make sure there is no residual surface oil.

Castor Oil works for hair, so it makes sense that it also works for nails, which are also made of keratin.

I had read about the wonders of castor oil for hair growth many years ago in a book of home remedies, and I thought, "Silly hippies, whatever!" Then, I read about castor oil on this wonderful site, and I thought, "Brilliant Makeup Alley geniuses, maybe I should try it!" So I went to the local health food store and bought a bottle of organic castor oil for about $9. My brows really got the shaft during the whole pencil thin brow thing in the '90s, and who doesn't want crazy lush lashes? I do! I've been putting it on my brows and eyelashes for about one and a half months, and I have noticed a serious difference in the past few days. The tails of my brows, where the most damage was done, are growing all sorts of shiny, strong, dark, beautiful hairs. And my lashes, especially the lower lash line, which was always so puny, have nearly doubled. It's ridiculous. It's exciting. I am well on my way to Eugene Levy eyebrows. Okay, maybe Brooke Shields.
AN UPDATE: Well, I've been using castor oil at least three times a week for several months, and my brows are fabulously lush and beautiful. I'm very proud of them. My lashes are pretty gorgeous too. One caveat, though, as you grow your new, luxurious brows and lashes, you will be tempted to buy new mascaras, eyelash curlers, and brow grooming products. Go ahead, I say. Buy the new goodies for your new lovely brows and lashes!

I used this for 2 weeks straight with no sign of improvement. I started losing lashes while removing my makeup and mascara. I don't recommend.

(I used on my eyelashes only).Miracle worker! After reading many postive reviews, i purchased Rexall brand castor oil in the laxative section of my local grocery store. Cost around a dollar. I am really bad about sticking to beauty routines, but i managed to apply it twice a week for a month. I poured a bit of oil on the back of my hand,rubbed a clean mascara wand in it,wiped off the excess and applied it just like mascara. And wow! My broken off lashes grew back in,and I would swear they were slightly longer too! Actually haven't used in about 8 months, but the new growth remains. Applied again today, I would like to start using regularly again and see what happens.

I had been trying to grow out my naturally thick, but over plucked brows since July. The growth was very patchy and certain hairs would not grow. I had read that castor oil could help, but didn't get around to buying any until 2 weeks ago when I got frustrated with the patchiness, and waiting for the hairs to grow back. I was amazed to find several hairs had sprouted the morning after the first application, and have continued to do so daily, unlike the months before, when new hairs would appear only after a few weeks. Therefore I am certain this is not a coincidence. I just wish I'd starter using this at the start of my brow growing journey - they would have been on point by now!! I'd recommend this to anyone trying to grow brows, although I have read that it will only encourage growth where hair previously grew naturally, there is nothing to loose. I also makes the hairs look glossy and thick.

on 8/16/2015 9:25:00 PM

I heard that this helps grow eyebrows. It didn't work for me and was a waste of time in that regard.

But I found that this works pretty well for oil cleansing when mixed with another oil (coconut, jojoba, avocado, whatever works for you). It's a thick oil and it adds a little more friction to the oil massage. I follow with a foaming cleanser and my skin is left super-clean.

But even so, I don't feel like this is something I can't live without. And when my bottle runs out I don't plan to repurchase.

Popular Brows Products