Ulta Professional Series Stippling Brush

Ulta top, MAC bottomUlta Professional & BE duo fibre stippling brushes

4.4

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is my first stippling brush so I don't have any basis for comparison, but overall, I'm satisfied with it. It does an good job of applying my Colorstay foundation. While I don't quite see the "airbrushed" look, it still looks okay and avoids the streaky look that flat-paddle foundation brushes can leave. I deducted one lippie because of the shedding. I have to pluck at least 4-5 bristles off my face each time I use it. Still, it's a good brush at a moderate price.

UPDATE 12/20/10: I returned it. Way too many hairs shedding all over my face. I tried the e.l.f. powder brush instead and got much, much better results for a lot less money!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I got this a while back after watching the YouTube gurus put their foundation on with the MAC 187. The MAC 187 is more than $40, and I wanted to try a dupe. I read up on this here and YT, and decided to try it. It was still very expensive, I think I paid $22 for it. I do love how it works for foundation. I just stipple my foundation on. I don't swirl with it. I prefer the just stippled coverage I get. I wash it every time I use it (almost every day), and it has not bled. However, it does shed a hair or two a day. This doesn't bother me very much, so it still gets 5 lippies. Now I just need a good 188 dupe, because this brush is a bit large to get around my nose and above my brows.

on 11/13/2008 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've been wanting to try a stippling brush like this for the longest time. I'm pretty lazy with my makeup application, so I thought I might actually want to apply my liquid foundation if I had the right tool. First of all, I don't have an Ulta near me, so I had to find it online. It was pretty tough to do because this isn't called a stippling brush at Ulta. It's called a Highlighter brush. So, if you're looking for this particular brush, I hope that little piece of info helps.

I've really been wanting the MAC 187, but since I have a hard time parting with that much cash for one brush, I decided to settle for a dupe. I read all kinds of reviews and I almost bought the Coastal Scents version before I read how much it sheds. The Ulta shed a bit when I first received it, but after a good washing, it's nearly perfect. I still don't like wearing liquid foundation, but it does make it much easier to apply.
Overall, I'm glad I purchased it because I now know exactly what a stippling brush can be used for and why it's helpful.

on 9/1/2008 10:26:00 PM

Add me to the list of reviewers who love this brush. I have been very impressed with Ulta's Professional Series of brushes. They are well made, a real pleasure to use and I plan to add more to my collection. The Highlighter brush is very, very similar to MAC's 187 brush in size, density, softness and most importantly, in performance. Fabulous for applying highly pigmented blushes and bronzers. Also excellent to use when you want that airbrushed look when applying cream, mousse or liquid foundations. At $26, it's a deal. Plus, Ulta offers 20% off coupons and codes regularly. I saw it today for $19.50. Would repurchase. But this one will last for years with care. It has held up well to washing.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was so excited to hear that Ulta has an alternative to the MAC 187! I purchased the MAC 188 and am totally in love with it and was prepared to return for the 187, then I read about this brush. The Ulta version seems every bit as dense as the MAC version, and also as dense as the 188 though bigger obviously. It applies my blushes amazingly and really doesn't shed too badly at all. The handle is very sturdy and the brush seems to be weighted pretty well. It is rather thick in the handle but tapers off near the end vs. the uniform thickness of the MAC, but I prefer the thicker handle of the Ulta one as I feel it gives me more control. Overall, a great buy since I got it for $19 which is less than half the price of the 187. The brush comes in a thick plastic re-usable sleeve which is a lot nicer than the disposable dinky plastic sleeve the MAC ones come in. Would and probably will rebuy.

Popular Makeup Brushes