Ulta Professional Series Stippling Brush

Ulta Professional Series Stippling Brush
Ulta top, MAC bottomUlta Professional & BE duo fibre stippling brushes

4.1

on 1/31/2017 10:10:00 PM

If I could give this a zero I would. If small fine black hairs all over my face despite repeated uses and washing. Does not apply foundation particularly nice. Wish I never would have spent the money and got a better brush. Bristles not sufficiently dense to nicely apply makeup feel like it's smeared around not stipples at all

on 1/15/2011 5:17:00 AM

man this brush shreds like crazy! i've been using it everytime i apply foundation for 4 months now and it still shreds. i wash it regularly and it dries so fast - but that doesnt help with shredding at all. but this makes the foundation application soooo easy and fast! it doesnt leave streaks or anything like that and it blends so well. i will stick with it for a while but in the future i think i'll try sigma ones

on 5/26/2010 12:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Got this ULTA Stippling brush because I wanted a dupe to the MAC 187. After doing some research saw that there were complaints about shedding/fallout, but those were the same complaints that users had w/ the MAC as well, so I figured I'd get the less expensive of the 2. PLUS they were included in tthe buy 2 get 2 free sale. Well,.... I used it to apply my NARS sheer matte foundation and firming foundation. Lots of hair came out, and I spent a lot of time picking them off my face, but boy oh boy... my foundation looked great. I've only used it 2 days now, but I felt I could deal with the shedding and purchased another one as a back up and for my NARS blushes or when one is dirty. Overall, I really like the brush, but I'm taking a lippie out for excessive shedding.
Update: Not the best applicator for blushes.. Doesn't pick up color as I'd like, had to keep dipping my brush. I will keep the 2nd one I purchase as a back up foundation brush.

on 3/24/2010 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

UGH! I'm so mad I bought this AFTER forking over $42 bucks for the famous MAC 187. Don't get me wrong. The MAC 187 is a great brush, but not for stippling foundation. I found the bristles on the MAC 187 a little too soft to really buff the liquid foundation in. I end up with a lot of streaks that I need to fix.
This, however, is PERFECT. Same concept as the MAC 187, but the bristles are more dense and a little bit firmer. And it makes stippling liquid foundation so much easier and better. Less streaking for me with the Ulta brush. I actually gave my MAC 187 away to my sister because it's just taking room in my bag.

Let me start off by saying that I have stippling brushes from SEVERAL companies. I have MAC's full size, MAC's SE, Sigma Makeup's SS187, Coastal Scents' Fiber Optic, Adorned with Grace Minerals' Ingenue Large Dual Fiber, and this one.

Now, this brush in comparison to MAC's full size 187 is that this brush is actually a tad denser, thus giving you more a "pushback" and giving you more control when you stipple on foundation. Though the white bristles are not as soft as MAC's bristles. The Ulta brushes bristles aren't all that rough, but they have the least softest white bristles in comparison to all of my other stippling brushes.

This brush in comparison to Sigma Makeup's SS187 is denser as well, meaning that the "pushback" is better with this brush once again. It appears to have a tad more white fibers than the Sigma one as well. However, the Sigma SS187 has softer bristles than the Ulta one as well.

Coastal Scents' Fiber Optic is utter crap. It's not good for ANYTHING. It's too big for blush, too soft for foundation... it's just a waste of money so I'm not even going to compare it because it's not worth comparing. Just SAVE your money for a brush that is WORTH it.

The Adorned with Grace Minerals Dual Fiber is just as dense as this brush but I feel that the Ulta one has a tad more "pushback" than the Adorned with Grace Minerals FO. BUT the Adorned with Grace Minerals Dual Fiber has SOFTER white fibers than the Ulta one.

All in all, my least favorite brush (excluding the coastal scents one, because I regret ever buying that brush) is the Sigma SS187. Don't get me wrong, it's a good quality brush, I just personally prefer a little more "pushback" in my FO's since I use them to apply liquid foundation in a stippling motion. My second least favorite is my MAC (both full size & SE). My favorites would honestly have to be a tie between my Adorned with Grace Minerals Large Dual Fiber and this brush.

They both have the density that I prefer for stippling foundation and are significantly cheaper than the MAC one, which after I got it, kinda wondered why everyone thinks it's the best one.

This is just my opinion. I'm not saying the MAC one is bad, because it's NOT. It's just not worth $42 in my opinion. =P

For blushes I prefer a SMALLER fiber optic and for that I prefer my Sigma Makeup SS188. =] But if you like using the full size Dual Fibers for pigmented blush, I'd recommend the Sigma SS187 because it's "loose" enough to give you an light application and airbrush finish. Like I said, I just prefer a brush that's a tad more densely packed and has more "pushback" for liquid foundation application.

As far as shedding and bleeding goes during washing, they all bled and shed about the same. I will note that the Adorned with Grace mineral brush shed/bled the most out of all of them, BUT these type of brushes have a break in period. It will take a washing or two before the shedding and bleeding stops. That's why you always wash brushes before using them! =]

So if you're trying to figure out what to get, I'll break it down for you so that you can figure out what you want.

MAC 187 ($42: not including tax or shipping should you order it online) - Averagely Dense, VERY soft bristles. IMHO, not worth the $42 that it costs. =P

Adorned with Grace Minerals Large Dual Fiber ($13.59 the price includes shipping & tax if you're in the US) - VERY dense, VERY soft bristles BUT bled and shed more than the other FO's. After it's broken in though, no problems.

Sigma Makeup SS187 ($16.00 NOT including shipping and taxes) - Averagely Dense (I'd say about the same density as MAC's or a TINY bit less), VERY soft bristles. I feel this brush works better for applying products such as bronzer, blush, MSF's, highlighting colors, etc. I don't really like this brush all that much for liquid foundation application.

Ulta Highlighting Brush ($26.00 NOT including shipping and taxes BUT this brush goes on sale ALOT and they usually have a buy one get one half off sale. It's a STEAL if you get it during one of those special offers.) VERY dense, averagely soft bristles. My preferred brush for liquid foundation application. Then again, the Adorned with Grace Minerals FO does just as good a job but with softer bristles AND a cheaper price tag. Just mind you the Adorned with Grace Minerals FO does take a bit longer to break in than the rest of the brushes, but once you break it in, it works like a dream. =]

I also wanted to note that I've used and abused my Ulta brush for the past year and it still looks brand new. It's constructed VERY well. =]

So that's my opinion of this brush in comparison to the other FO's I own. =]

In the end, I get the same outcomes with my MAC, Ulta, & AwG Minerals brushes... the latter two being a tad easier & faster to use since they have more pushback thus giving me more control. =] None the less, the same outcome. =] To be honest, it's all about personal preference and what YOU want your brush to do for you AND what you can afford. =] I hope this comparison was helpful.

I also wanted to note that NONE of these brushes get a 5 from me because they each have things about them that I like and dislike. But my two personal favorites for both performance and value would probably be my Ulta one and my AwG minerals one. =]

UPDATE: I have been switching this between my blush, bronzer and foundation (1 week each and then I wash) and guess what - I love this better than the MAC for each. I promise I don't work at Ulta (in fact I really don't like shopping there) but I can't deny that I heart this brush more than any of my others.

OLD: This is amazing and just as good - if not better - than the MAC 187 for me. The bristles are just a tad firmer on my Ulta brush than the MAC. I've been using it for blush. It gives me an unbelievable glow rather than a harsh line of color. In fact, I've kicked the MAC 188 to the curb because this works so well. I haven't tried it with foundation, but I'm assuming that since the bristles are firm that it would totally rock.

Even better - I bought this when the ulta brushes were BOGO 1/2 off. So I bought one for a friend. I ended up getting two of these for less than the price of ONE MAC brush. I think I'll keep my eye out for this sale and next time buy more for my other friends who've never used a skunk, kinda a stippling brush outreach program, I guess.

I have only recently heard of a stippling brush. I used to try using regular foundation brushes and always hated them. So I thought I'd give it a try after some research. I must say, I really enjoy using it. It makes mixing a breeze. I put a drop of liquid foundation and a drop of shimmer cream on the back of my hand, mix with the brush and stipple it on. It makes application so much faster than using my hands and my fingers aren't all messy anymore. I haven't tried it with any powders yet, but I think I'll stick with using my powder and blush brushes for that b/c they are softer. I like swirling the stippling brush, too to blend and I feel like the application with the brush rather than my fingers applies it more properly b/c my skin is more illuminated and glowy afterwards. I also tried it with a cream blush....AMAZING!! That is the only way to apply a cream blush. It's perfect and blends it beautifully. I never used my cream blush b/c I didn't like how it looked, but that was with my fingers. I have been missing out. This is the best brush ever!! There were 2 stray hairs so far with this brush, though. But no big deal.
UPDATE: I've washed this several times and still I get a couple stray hairs everyday. I guess it does get annoying after awhile. As soon as all the hairs fall out (which seems like they eventually will at this rate) I might splurge on a MAC one. I still love this one, but prefer that it not shed on my face. minus one.

on 12/3/2008 5:34:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I was very excited about this brush, because of all the reviews comparing this to the MAC 187. I have the 187se, which i read is not the same quality as the full size; this one bled a lot even after 4 washes. So I jumped on the ULTA, and this brush shed the most among all the brushes I've ever used! It shed is crazy, I had to pick up countless black hairs from my face and makeup. After one washing and rigorious rubbing on my hand, i think I got rid of all the loose hairs because it now not shed as much now. However, the density is lost, at first the density was comparable to the MAC but now it is not. In general, the bristles are not as soft as the MAC. I also have the SilkNatural duo fiber brush, and that one sheds equally as much, so guess it is hard to find one that doesn't shed. The 187se has only shed a few hairs thus far but it bleeds.

I'm so happy with this Ulta Stippling brush! :-) I also have the MAC# 187 stippling brush and after comparing both brushes, I have to say that these brushes are the same in performance, bristles, and texture. The only difference is that the handle of the Ulta brush is tapered towards the end. I really wonder if the same company makes the Ulta and the MAC stippling brushes. I alternate between the Ulta and the MAC and I use both for applying my foundation, highlighters, blush, or powder. I prefer the Ulta though because it only bleeds its black dye after one washing and it's so much more affordable! I've had the MAC#187 for several months now and it still bleeds! Why shell out $42.00 for the MAC brush when you can get the same brush (Ulta) for a much cheaper price. I got the Ulta brush when it was on sale for about $19. You can't beat that! Two Thumbs up! :-) I would have never found out about this great affordable stippling brush if I wasn't a member of Makeupalley. Thank you ladies!

p.s (Like the MAC#187, the Ulta brush will shed some hairs but it will stop after a few washings.)

on 9/6/2008 4:36:00 PM

All I can say is: WOW!

I've been lemming for a stippling brush for the longest time, after seeing all the hype about the MAC 187 and the Coastal Scents Duo-Fiber Stippling brush. I was tempted by the CS brush, since it was only $7.95+shipping, but I read reviews saying that it wasn't dense enough and shed like crazy, so I passed. I still didn't want to spend the $42 on the original MAC brush though, so I did my research to look for the best dupe. MUA really helped me out here when I saw the Ulta brush being called an exact dupe of the MAC 187. I went to the store to get it because the website said it was at $19.50 with a 25% off they added, and I also had a coupon for $3.50 off a $10+ item, but unfortunately, it was still at full-price at the store [$26] and I wanted to get the best deal as possible. I went on ebay, and found just one listing for it, and a week later as the auction was ending, I was lucky enough to score the brush at $16.26 shipping included!

I just received the brush the other day, and I am officially in love with it. I don't usually use liquid foundation, but when my skin's having a bad day, I'll mix some liquid foundation with some moisturizer to make a tinted moisturizer. I tried that out with the brush, and my skin just looked.. flawless! The blending and application was a lot better than what I would achieve with applying with my fingers. The bristles are so soft, but at the same time have great control. At first, it shed about 5 of the black bristles, but while I washed it and after I washed it, there was no more shedding. Another plus is that it dries completely within a couple hours.

If I had to, I'd totally buy another one , but I'm pretty sure that since it's such good quality, it'll be quite a while until I need to.

Popular Makeup Brushes