Ulta Professional Series Stippling Brush

Ulta Professional Series Stippling Brush
Ulta top, MAC bottomUlta Professional & BE duo fibre stippling brushes

4.2

Let me start off by saying that I have stippling brushes from SEVERAL companies. I have MAC's full size, MAC's SE, Sigma Makeup's SS187, Coastal Scents' Fiber Optic, Adorned with Grace Minerals' Ingenue Large Dual Fiber, and this one.

Now, this brush in comparison to MAC's full size 187 is that this brush is actually a tad denser, thus giving you more a "pushback" and giving you more control when you stipple on foundation. Though the white bristles are not as soft as MAC's bristles. The Ulta brushes bristles aren't all that rough, but they have the least softest white bristles in comparison to all of my other stippling brushes.

This brush in comparison to Sigma Makeup's SS187 is denser as well, meaning that the "pushback" is better with this brush once again. It appears to have a tad more white fibers than the Sigma one as well. However, the Sigma SS187 has softer bristles than the Ulta one as well.

Coastal Scents' Fiber Optic is utter crap. It's not good for ANYTHING. It's too big for blush, too soft for foundation... it's just a waste of money so I'm not even going to compare it because it's not worth comparing. Just SAVE your money for a brush that is WORTH it.

The Adorned with Grace Minerals Dual Fiber is just as dense as this brush but I feel that the Ulta one has a tad more "pushback" than the Adorned with Grace Minerals FO. BUT the Adorned with Grace Minerals Dual Fiber has SOFTER white fibers than the Ulta one.

All in all, my least favorite brush (excluding the coastal scents one, because I regret ever buying that brush) is the Sigma SS187. Don't get me wrong, it's a good quality brush, I just personally prefer a little more "pushback" in my FO's since I use them to apply liquid foundation in a stippling motion. My second least favorite is my MAC (both full size & SE). My favorites would honestly have to be a tie between my Adorned with Grace Minerals Large Dual Fiber and this brush.

They both have the density that I prefer for stippling foundation and are significantly cheaper than the MAC one, which after I got it, kinda wondered why everyone thinks it's the best one.

This is just my opinion. I'm not saying the MAC one is bad, because it's NOT. It's just not worth $42 in my opinion. =P

For blushes I prefer a SMALLER fiber optic and for that I prefer my Sigma Makeup SS188. =] But if you like using the full size Dual Fibers for pigmented blush, I'd recommend the Sigma SS187 because it's "loose" enough to give you an light application and airbrush finish. Like I said, I just prefer a brush that's a tad more densely packed and has more "pushback" for liquid foundation application.

As far as shedding and bleeding goes during washing, they all bled and shed about the same. I will note that the Adorned with Grace mineral brush shed/bled the most out of all of them, BUT these type of brushes have a break in period. It will take a washing or two before the shedding and bleeding stops. That's why you always wash brushes before using them! =]

So if you're trying to figure out what to get, I'll break it down for you so that you can figure out what you want.

MAC 187 ($42: not including tax or shipping should you order it online) - Averagely Dense, VERY soft bristles. IMHO, not worth the $42 that it costs. =P

Adorned with Grace Minerals Large Dual Fiber ($13.59 the price includes shipping & tax if you're in the US) - VERY dense, VERY soft bristles BUT bled and shed more than the other FO's. After it's broken in though, no problems.

Sigma Makeup SS187 ($16.00 NOT including shipping and taxes) - Averagely Dense (I'd say about the same density as MAC's or a TINY bit less), VERY soft bristles. I feel this brush works better for applying products such as bronzer, blush, MSF's, highlighting colors, etc. I don't really like this brush all that much for liquid foundation application.

Ulta Highlighting Brush ($26.00 NOT including shipping and taxes BUT this brush goes on sale ALOT and they usually have a buy one get one half off sale. It's a STEAL if you get it during one of those special offers.) VERY dense, averagely soft bristles. My preferred brush for liquid foundation application. Then again, the Adorned with Grace Minerals FO does just as good a job but with softer bristles AND a cheaper price tag. Just mind you the Adorned with Grace Minerals FO does take a bit longer to break in than the rest of the brushes, but once you break it in, it works like a dream. =]

I also wanted to note that I've used and abused my Ulta brush for the past year and it still looks brand new. It's constructed VERY well. =]

So that's my opinion of this brush in comparison to the other FO's I own. =]

In the end, I get the same outcomes with my MAC, Ulta, & AwG Minerals brushes... the latter two being a tad easier & faster to use since they have more pushback thus giving me more control. =] None the less, the same outcome. =] To be honest, it's all about personal preference and what YOU want your brush to do for you AND what you can afford. =] I hope this comparison was helpful.

I also wanted to note that NONE of these brushes get a 5 from me because they each have things about them that I like and dislike. But my two personal favorites for both performance and value would probably be my Ulta one and my AwG minerals one. =]

on 1/7/2008 3:25:00 PM

This brush is almost identical to MAC's 187, but it is significantly cheaper...(I have a review for the MAC 187 stippling brush as well) ...

I think I paid $25 for this. I checked the Ulta website and don't see this brush there but it is at the store. It works the same as the 187 too. It's actually called the Highlighter brush. Great for applying bronzers and highlighters. This is one of the brushes I turn to when I apply MSF's. When you compare this brush to the MAC 187, they really are the same.

Sooooo glad I found this and didn't break down and spend $42 on the MAC version.

UPDATE: I got a MAC 187 from a sweet swapper and have been able to compare the Ulta brush to the MAC 187 side by side...Conclusions? The Ulta stands up to the comparison and I can honestly say that it is identical to the 187 in performance and features. Makes sense to me to save some money, especially you gals who want more than one of these beauties around...My Ulta and my 187 are identical twins who were brought up by different families but are nevertheless like two peas in a pod...

Full Size Image

Ulta on top, MAC on bottom

Full Size Image

Ulta on L, MAC on R

I have only recently heard of a stippling brush. I used to try using regular foundation brushes and always hated them. So I thought I'd give it a try after some research. I must say, I really enjoy using it. It makes mixing a breeze. I put a drop of liquid foundation and a drop of shimmer cream on the back of my hand, mix with the brush and stipple it on. It makes application so much faster than using my hands and my fingers aren't all messy anymore. I haven't tried it with any powders yet, but I think I'll stick with using my powder and blush brushes for that b/c they are softer. I like swirling the stippling brush, too to blend and I feel like the application with the brush rather than my fingers applies it more properly b/c my skin is more illuminated and glowy afterwards. I also tried it with a cream blush....AMAZING!! That is the only way to apply a cream blush. It's perfect and blends it beautifully. I never used my cream blush b/c I didn't like how it looked, but that was with my fingers. I have been missing out. This is the best brush ever!! There were 2 stray hairs so far with this brush, though. But no big deal.
UPDATE: I've washed this several times and still I get a couple stray hairs everyday. I guess it does get annoying after awhile. As soon as all the hairs fall out (which seems like they eventually will at this rate) I might splurge on a MAC one. I still love this one, but prefer that it not shed on my face. minus one.

on 9/6/2008 4:36:00 PM

All I can say is: WOW!

I've been lemming for a stippling brush for the longest time, after seeing all the hype about the MAC 187 and the Coastal Scents Duo-Fiber Stippling brush. I was tempted by the CS brush, since it was only $7.95+shipping, but I read reviews saying that it wasn't dense enough and shed like crazy, so I passed. I still didn't want to spend the $42 on the original MAC brush though, so I did my research to look for the best dupe. MUA really helped me out here when I saw the Ulta brush being called an exact dupe of the MAC 187. I went to the store to get it because the website said it was at $19.50 with a 25% off they added, and I also had a coupon for $3.50 off a $10+ item, but unfortunately, it was still at full-price at the store [$26] and I wanted to get the best deal as possible. I went on ebay, and found just one listing for it, and a week later as the auction was ending, I was lucky enough to score the brush at $16.26 shipping included!

I just received the brush the other day, and I am officially in love with it. I don't usually use liquid foundation, but when my skin's having a bad day, I'll mix some liquid foundation with some moisturizer to make a tinted moisturizer. I tried that out with the brush, and my skin just looked.. flawless! The blending and application was a lot better than what I would achieve with applying with my fingers. The bristles are so soft, but at the same time have great control. At first, it shed about 5 of the black bristles, but while I washed it and after I washed it, there was no more shedding. Another plus is that it dries completely within a couple hours.

If I had to, I'd totally buy another one , but I'm pretty sure that since it's such good quality, it'll be quite a while until I need to.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I've been wanting to get this brush for some time after reading the reviews here. However, I had gone to Ulta a long while back and they were out of them. Then about a couple of weeks later I went back again and they had it! I immediately grabbed one and bought it. It cost me about 26 dollars because they didn't have the sale, which was 20-25% off :-( Oh well I tried it the following day and it shed like crazy. I was pretty pissed off that this great brush did that. However, I didn't give up on it yet. I washed it that same night and some more hair came out but then I noticed that the shedding had stopped. This brush is similar to the MAC 187 one the only difference is the handle. The handle on the MAC one is a little shorter and thicker and the handle on this one is longer, thick at the top and thin at the bottom. I love it. It's very sturdy and I could apply my makeup w/o a problem. I even like the packaging . Unlike the MAC one that comes in a cheapo sleeve this one comes in a plastic one, which is reusable. I definitly recommend this and I put yes to buying this product again.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was so excited to hear that Ulta has an alternative to the MAC 187! I purchased the MAC 188 and am totally in love with it and was prepared to return for the 187, then I read about this brush. The Ulta version seems every bit as dense as the MAC version, and also as dense as the 188 though bigger obviously. It applies my blushes amazingly and really doesn't shed too badly at all. The handle is very sturdy and the brush seems to be weighted pretty well. It is rather thick in the handle but tapers off near the end vs. the uniform thickness of the MAC, but I prefer the thicker handle of the Ulta one as I feel it gives me more control. Overall, a great buy since I got it for $19 which is less than half the price of the 187. The brush comes in a thick plastic re-usable sleeve which is a lot nicer than the disposable dinky plastic sleeve the MAC ones come in. Would and probably will rebuy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I got this a while back after watching the YouTube gurus put their foundation on with the MAC 187. The MAC 187 is more than $40, and I wanted to try a dupe. I read up on this here and YT, and decided to try it. It was still very expensive, I think I paid $22 for it. I do love how it works for foundation. I just stipple my foundation on. I don't swirl with it. I prefer the just stippled coverage I get. I wash it every time I use it (almost every day), and it has not bled. However, it does shed a hair or two a day. This doesn't bother me very much, so it still gets 5 lippies. Now I just need a good 188 dupe, because this brush is a bit large to get around my nose and above my brows.

on 12/24/2008 1:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I love this brush, especially for the price and it's always on sale. I originally wanted the Sonia Kashuk one but that's like finding the pot at the end of the rainbow so I gave in and bought the Ulta one. It did shed when I first washed it and also as I used it. But I believe it will hold up to my abuse, i will update.

i had this in the Studio Gear #15 review:
"I would get the pro Ulta highlighter brush, currently on sale B2G2 w/ additional coupons, so for about the same price of Studio Gear #15 or MAC 187, you get 4 brushes to abuse/give/and actually use it for highlighting as well. Only at the bigger Ulta stores, not online."

I'm so happy with this Ulta Stippling brush! :-) I also have the MAC# 187 stippling brush and after comparing both brushes, I have to say that these brushes are the same in performance, bristles, and texture. The only difference is that the handle of the Ulta brush is tapered towards the end. I really wonder if the same company makes the Ulta and the MAC stippling brushes. I alternate between the Ulta and the MAC and I use both for applying my foundation, highlighters, blush, or powder. I prefer the Ulta though because it only bleeds its black dye after one washing and it's so much more affordable! I've had the MAC#187 for several months now and it still bleeds! Why shell out $42.00 for the MAC brush when you can get the same brush (Ulta) for a much cheaper price. I got the Ulta brush when it was on sale for about $19. You can't beat that! Two Thumbs up! :-) I would have never found out about this great affordable stippling brush if I wasn't a member of Makeupalley. Thank you ladies!

p.s (Like the MAC#187, the Ulta brush will shed some hairs but it will stop after a few washings.)

ULTA just came out with this brush about a week ago. Iv been looking for an afordable brush like the MAC one and im so happy i found this. I only payed about 20 dollars for it beacuse it is on sale for 25% off since it just came out. Im deffinaly glad i didnt buy the mac one i was just about to and i saw this so happy

Popular Makeup Brushes