Palmer's Body Oil

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

on 3/27/2014 5:14:00 PM

This probably The Cheapest natural body oil available, in case you don't want to use virgin olive oil from supermarket:).
Many reviewers compare it to Baby Oil or even Bio Oil, but I would never use either, because they both contain mineral oil that is comedogenic, clogs pores, and doesn't sink in, but only forms a film on the skin.

Palmers, however, is mostly natural (although not organic or virgin) soja oil (only very little of cocoa is in it!), and much better for your skin and environment than any mineral-oil based lotion/cream or oil.

So yes, this Palmers oil has been my every-day body moisturiser on-and off for many years. I actually dry my skin after shower, and apply a small amount on warm skin, put some loose clothes on until it sinks in fully (about 20 min to apply make up etc). It so cheap, very fast relief for dry skin, has a lovely sweet smell that doesn't clash with parfume, if you don't slather a lot of it on, and is just far easier/faster to apply than any lotion.

A very good product that can be easily mixed with a few drops of bergamot or other essential oil to mask the sweet chocolate/vanilla scent it has. As I recently had the bottle leaking in the bag, I poured it into a an emty spray bottle instead, much safer.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Can't believe I just started using this given that the use of body oil post showering has long been my preferred means of keeping my skin soft and moist (it so much easier and more effective than body lotion!). For some reason it never occurred to me that Palmer's made their cocoa butter products in an oil form. I had been using baby oil all this time which works just fine, but Palmer's is a more natural and better smelling alternative. It's fantastic at banishing the painfully itchy dryness I often experience around my sides, hips and thighs during the winter and leaves my legs incredibly smooth after shaving. I just slather it on right after I shut off the water in the shower, rub it in as best I can and then towel off the excess as I dry off. So much more efficient than using lotion on dry skin! Love the scent too. It smells just like you'd expect any cocoa butter based product to, like creamy and sweet hot cocoa. At around $5 for 8 oz it's a little more expensive than baby oil, but still cheap enough that the minor splurge isn't enough to fuss over.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love this product. It makes my skin VERY soft and silky, and is especially good on my legs after shaving. I use it after showering, before applying cocoa butter, which really seals in the moisture (although this isn't recommended for hot days, as it becomes sticky). Only a little is needed so it lasts for a long time, and the sugary scent is an added bonus!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love the smell of this oil - it's like chocolate! I put it on my legs which get very dry. It takes a while to sink in but after it does, my skin is nice a soft. There is a little lingering greasiness afterward though, so I'm not sure I'll repurchase. Overall though, I am fairly pleased. Extra lippy for the lovely scent.

on 3/3/2008 5:57:00 PM

Bought this today. It feels great on my skin and soaks in really well even on dry skin. The smell is a bit more baby oily than I'd like - which is odd cos it isn't made of the same stuff. I think I might do as other MUA reviewers have and switch it into a spray bottle too as the packaging isn't great. Otherwise - good product.

on 7/4/2007 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm a bit torn about this product. I really do love the smell, but I don't find it very moisturizing for my extremely dry skin. It kind of just sits on my skin & creates a small oil slick effect. I still apply moisturizer afterwards and I think the oil actually blocks the moisturizer from absorbing effectively. I'm also not a fan of the packaging as it leaks & leaves nasty rings all over my bathroom counter that attract lint & become very unsightly. Still, I cannot give it up... the smell lures me back every time & somehow, mentally, I can't believe that pure oil on my skin isn't somehow moisturizing...

I will provide an update after I have made up my mind!

on 12/17/2005 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm really happy with Palmer's Cocoa Butter Body Oil. I actually use it as a makeup remover, before I wash with Palmer's Cocoa Butter soap. It removes all of my makeup (Bare Minerals) without a struggle, and my complexion has never looked this good.

on 6/16/2005 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I feel a little conflicted over whether I would purchase this again. There are several good things about this product. I haven't had any problem with the bottle so applying it after I take a shower while I am still wet has worked fine for me. I do find the chocolate scent to be very strong. I am not fond of food scents for body products. I have added a ton of orange essential oil (as in a couple of inches) and finally have this product smelling much more like chocolate-orange than just chocolate (which I find much more pleasant than just straight chocolate). If you like the scent of strong chocolate I think you will like this scent. As it is, this scent really lingers on me - I can still smell it on my skin hours after my shower - which is very unusual for me. I think this does an okay job of moisturizing my skin. I normally make my own body oils with a mixture of shea oil, almond oil and jojoba oil. I bought this bottle when I was short on my own supply of oils (which I have to order over the internet) and I was curious to see if I enjoyed the chocolate experience. I mostly likely will stick with my own body oil mixture since it is very inexpensive in the long run and does a great job of moisturizing my skin with natural skin products and no preservatives.

I was given a small bottle of this when I was nine months pregnant. I didn't start using it until after I gave birth, so I don't know if it works for stretch marks or not. But it smells lovely, and made my skin feel nice and soft.

on 5/21/2005 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My first reaction when opening the seal on this bottle of oil was one of disappointment, because it does not smell like the cocoa butter lotion, which I absolutely love. However, the scent of the oil is certainly very inoffensive so I'm not complaining about it. It seems somehow nuttier than the lotion, and does not smell like I expect cocoa butter to smell.
The packaging could do with some improvement. I use this oil while standing in the bath, still dripping wet from my shower, and it is quite difficult to keep hold of the bottle, pour oil into my hand, close the cap, and not knock the bottle over. The cap is one of those where you press one side to flip open the other. Anyway, I would have preferred a spray type so there was no risk of knocking it over and have oil pour everywhere.
Aside from my minor gripes about the scent and bottle design, I really love this product. Used on damp skin, it leaves me feeling fresh, clean, and silky soft. I can see this being used after every shower during the summer, particularly if I've been out in the sun and my skin is a bit parched. It's quick to apply, doesn't leave my skin feeling greasy, and does exactly what I bought it for.
Edited to add that this makes a great shaving oil. I used it on my bikini line, with a rather blunt razor, which is usually a recipe for red bumpy disaster. A day later, I'm still silky smooth. Result! continued >>