Palmer's Body Oil

3.9

on 6/4/2017 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

There's another spot for this product that is more correctly named, but this one has more reviews so I'll add mine here.

I got the "Cocoa Butter Formula Moisturizing Body Oil" which is what I'm pretty sure is what most people here are referring to. I LOVE their cocoa butter formula in the jar so I figured I would try this. I had been using Shea moisture oils prior to this and also tried that cocoa butter gel from CVS a while back.

Gotta be honest, this is my least favorite of all of those. I don't like the scent as much as other palmers products which really sucks because I thought it would be the same and I had high hopes for this. It actually bothers me. I think it moisturizes 'ok', maybe a little better than ok but I don't find the ingredients list to be THAT amazing. A lot of generic oils which would be much better without the scent. I almost want to make it out of my pantry ingredients. The Shea Moisture one is strong but so decadent and delicious that I'm definitely going to get that one again next.

The benefit to oils is that even though they're greasy at first, they do absorb a bit better than thick products like the gels or the tub of Palmers which feels really luxurious but stays on for longer. I don't think oils give an instant moisturizing effect (especially on really dry, parched skin) but I agree with those who say to use it after the shower. That's pretty much the only way. Part of what oils and petroleum based products do is seal in the moisture so it doesn't escape as opposed to drawing it in (like a hyaluronic acid would). That's why I say they moisturize 'medium'. However, I do like using oils and think in long term use it does soften skin. I just don't think this is one I'll repurchase, mainly due to the smell, sadly.

on 10/29/2013 7:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This has good ingredients and works great as an after-shower moisturizer, but it smells like Play-dough, so I won't be buying again. I add a capful to my bath along with some nice smelling essential oils to mask the smell, and come out moisturized nicely.

on 3/12/2013 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I just bought this today and I love love love this. Its a little hard to find depending what stores you have nearby. It around 10$ and I think its a good price. The smell isn't amazing and it isn't bad at all. Its ok. I use this right when I get out of the shower. My skin feels very smooth and had no greasy feeling or anything at all. It just feels like natural smooth skin if that makes sense. I'm thinking about using it on my face to even my skintone out. I will update this review in two months. I also used half a pump on my severly damaged hair. I have stripped and twice bleached ombre hair. I added it to my organix coconut serum, (which didn't do anything for my hair by itself) and I applied it only on my bleached ends.. Much to my suprise!! My hair is silky smooth and is the best its ever been!! It is nowhere near greasy either, it just soaked up in my hair. wow, just amazing!! This is definately a staple in my life from this day foward.

on 7/15/2010 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I picked this up on a whim since baby oil just doesn't seem to be enough for my skin the last few weeks. The trick to using this (or any body oil) is to apply them to wet skin, and when doing this I don't have to follow this with any lotion, which I would have to do with baby oil (also applied to wet skin) or any oil applied to dry skin. I love the scent of this, but it does fade over the day, and by nighttime I can't smell it anymore. I also like using a more natural oil on my skin, and though it is greasy initially it does sink in after a while. I would definitely purchase again.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

A couple times a week I slather this all over myself after shaving, it keeps my skin healthy and soft for days afterward. The bottle leaks and makes it difficult to travel with.
I will always keep this product in my body care rotation.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love this product. It makes my skin VERY soft and silky, and is especially good on my legs after shaving. I use it after showering, before applying cocoa butter, which really seals in the moisture (although this isn't recommended for hot days, as it becomes sticky). Only a little is needed so it lasts for a long time, and the sugary scent is an added bonus!

on 11/26/2007 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I went for it first because of the scent and the hope of quick application. I was using it for quite a while and liked it. However after some time I realized that it gets onto my sheets and even clothes and they will smell like old cooking oil. It's even hard to get out with washing. I switched to the lotion and I don't have this problem. The lotion is the best one I've ever used. Scent is one major factor for me when using skincare products and Palmer's cocoa lotion wins!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I'm super lazy and HATE applying body lotions so I love this stuff for the ease of use and how well it works. I apply a little bit to my skin after a shower before I towel dry so it has time to soak in. I personally think it smells heavenly and leaves my skin silky smooth but without a greasy feel which one might expect from an oil. It also gives skin a nice sheen, which is great during the summer. This also works well in the bath, although it tends to leave a film around the edge of the tub so I prefer to use it in the shower. It's one of the only scented products my boyfriend doesn't complain about because it's not overly strong, nor does it clash with perfumes when I wear them. I like that it's easily available, dirt cheap and Palmer's often goes on sale, which is when I stock up on this :) The packaging does suck though, as others have mentioned. They really need to add a spray or pump top on this.

on 5/21/2005 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My first reaction when opening the seal on this bottle of oil was one of disappointment, because it does not smell like the cocoa butter lotion, which I absolutely love. However, the scent of the oil is certainly very inoffensive so I'm not complaining about it. It seems somehow nuttier than the lotion, and does not smell like I expect cocoa butter to smell.
The packaging could do with some improvement. I use this oil while standing in the bath, still dripping wet from my shower, and it is quite difficult to keep hold of the bottle, pour oil into my hand, close the cap, and not knock the bottle over. The cap is one of those where you press one side to flip open the other. Anyway, I would have preferred a spray type so there was no risk of knocking it over and have oil pour everywhere.
Aside from my minor gripes about the scent and bottle design, I really love this product. Used on damp skin, it leaves me feeling fresh, clean, and silky soft. I can see this being used after every shower during the summer, particularly if I've been out in the sun and my skin is a bit parched. It's quick to apply, doesn't leave my skin feeling greasy, and does exactly what I bought it for.
Edited to add that this makes a great shaving oil. I used it on my bikini line, with a rather blunt razor, which is usually a recipe for red bumpy disaster. A day later, I'm still silky smooth. Result! continued >>

on 8/8/2004 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I love slathering this stuff all over my legs after I shave them. The smoothness lasts for at least two days afterward (I usually have very dry skin on my legs.) It feels a bit oily and greasy upon initial application, but it absorbs very quickly.
And since it is made by Palmers, it smells wonderful!