Palmer's Body Oil

Price: $

on 6/4/2017 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

There's another spot for this product that is more correctly named, but this one has more reviews so I'll add mine here.

I got the "Cocoa Butter Formula Moisturizing Body Oil" which is what I'm pretty sure is what most people here are referring to. I LOVE their cocoa butter formula in the jar so I figured I would try this. I had been using Shea moisture oils prior to this and also tried that cocoa butter gel from CVS a while back.

Gotta be honest, this is my least favorite of all of those. I don't like the scent as much as other palmers products which really sucks because I thought it would be the same and I had high hopes for this. It actually bothers me. I think it moisturizes 'ok', maybe a little better than ok but I don't find the ingredients list to be THAT amazing. A lot of generic oils which would be much better without the scent. I almost want to make it out of my pantry ingredients. The Shea Moisture one is strong but so decadent and delicious that I'm definitely going to get that one again next.

The benefit to oils is that even though they're greasy at first, they do absorb a bit better than thick products like the gels or the tub of Palmers which feels really luxurious but stays on for longer. I don't think oils give an instant moisturizing effect (especially on really dry, parched skin) but I agree with those who say to use it after the shower. That's pretty much the only way. Part of what oils and petroleum based products do is seal in the moisture so it doesn't escape as opposed to drawing it in (like a hyaluronic acid would). That's why I say they moisturize 'medium'. However, I do like using oils and think in long term use it does soften skin. I just don't think this is one I'll repurchase, mainly due to the smell, sadly.

on 3/12/2013 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I just bought this today and I love love love this. Its a little hard to find depending what stores you have nearby. It around 10$ and I think its a good price. The smell isn't amazing and it isn't bad at all. Its ok. I use this right when I get out of the shower. My skin feels very smooth and had no greasy feeling or anything at all. It just feels like natural smooth skin if that makes sense. I'm thinking about using it on my face to even my skintone out. I will update this review in two months. I also used half a pump on my severly damaged hair. I have stripped and twice bleached ombre hair. I added it to my organix coconut serum, (which didn't do anything for my hair by itself) and I applied it only on my bleached ends.. Much to my suprise!! My hair is silky smooth and is the best its ever been!! It is nowhere near greasy either, it just soaked up in my hair. wow, just amazing!! This is definately a staple in my life from this day foward.

on 4/24/2012 6:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

Pros-
Good quality bath oil, light and easily absorbed by the skin, good moisturizing coverage and cost effective.

Cons-
The only -ve side of this product is that it tends to leave a stubborn rancid oil smell on clothes, towel and even entire bathroom. I never faced this issue with other bath oils that I have used before. Not a fan of the smell, hence I will look for other options before buying this one.

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Fabulous! I use this in summer when it's too hot for lotion. Smells good and natural/light and evens your tan. The bottle is annoying - you will get your bathroom oily. It would be an awesome spray. It's a little heavy - but just a little - so if you apply sparingly fresh out the shower, you're good. Sometimes harder to find.

on 7/15/2010 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I picked this up on a whim since baby oil just doesn't seem to be enough for my skin the last few weeks. The trick to using this (or any body oil) is to apply them to wet skin, and when doing this I don't have to follow this with any lotion, which I would have to do with baby oil (also applied to wet skin) or any oil applied to dry skin. I love the scent of this, but it does fade over the day, and by nighttime I can't smell it anymore. I also like using a more natural oil on my skin, and though it is greasy initially it does sink in after a while. I would definitely purchase again.

on 8/8/2009 10:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

This is a daily beauty staple for my skin. It's so rich and moisturizing, i find i don't even need to use moisturizer (although i follow it up with the palmer's cocoa butter :P).
It's very cheap, a little goes a long way: I have a bottle of this in the shower, and when I'm finished and still wet i get a tiny bit in my hands and smooth it all over myself (the water helps it spread).

Then i get out, and dab my body dry with a towel so to not wipe it all off. This is great for an anti-irritator after shaving, and lightly fragrances your skin and it feels like silk! I'd say its a bit too much to use on dry skin, but hey to each their own.

There are a few downsides...the packaging and the smell. I love the scent ... don't get me wrong ... but it's not something i want to smell 24/7 as it tends to be quite strong, even when its diluted by all the water on my body. I have my own perfume so tend to keep this off my arms, neck and chest so it's not too overpowering. Also..If it came in a spray type bottle, i think it would be perfect. The screw lid is just a little clumsy and it's hard to get the right amount of oil sometimes - but these aren't enough for me to take a lippie off.

I prefer this to the cocoa butter moisturizer - it seems just to work better. I highly recommend to those with dry skin, or those who get irritated after shaving! Overall, I'm glad i decided to pick it up :) and would most definitely repurchase.

on 4/28/2006 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Love it! It dries very quickly and doesn't leave a greasy feeling at all! Also I like the spray bottle that they have too. Lastly, you can beat the price!

on 6/26/2005 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I thought this did it's job of moisturizing my skin after getting out of the shower from what I can remember when using this a few years ago, but I will be trying the Dry, Itchy Skin Soothing Oil instead since it comes in spray form and I think it would be better for that purpose since it has more cocoa butter, collagen and elastin. I probably will buy this again to add to my foot soaks.

on 10/25/2004 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Wanted to like this so much, but alas... The oil in itself was pretty good, but the scent had a horrible plastic undertone that I did not care for. It became very overwhelming. If you love strong chocolate scents, this is for you.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This is a nice body oil if you do body oils. I bought a small sample bottle of this just out of curiousity but like most body oils, I find it too greasy and it doesn't fully absorb into skin well at all. Does have a nice sweet chocolatey scent though if that is your thing.