Palmer's Body Oil

3.8

on 1/24/2015 12:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I guess I'm raining on the parade here. I bought this because it was affordable, good size and looked good for dry winter skin. In the product's defence I have sensitive eczema prone skin so I should have been more cautious as I knew it contained fragrance. It seemed ok the first week or so and I assumed it was safe on my skin and would not cause adverse effects, but I was mistaken as it wasn't an immediate reaction.This gave me bad eczema for the first time in a good while and it irritated various other spots on my skin. I saw another reviewer below mention that they were eczema prone but enjoyed this product so who knows it might be ok on you too.

It feels rather rich and luxurious upon application, but I did find the scent to be overwhelming. It was very strong and not even a pleasant fragrance in my opinion. I also found the packaging annoying, the oil spurts out messily and in large amounts. It also disappointed me because it wasn't even that moisturising and skin sensitivities aside, other body oil blends have done a better job. My skin would gradually dry out again in the following 2-3 hours.

on 3/27/2014 5:14:00 PM

This probably The Cheapest natural body oil available, in case you don't want to use virgin olive oil from supermarket:).
Many reviewers compare it to Baby Oil or even Bio Oil, but I would never use either, because they both contain mineral oil that is comedogenic, clogs pores, and doesn't sink in, but only forms a film on the skin.

Palmers, however, is mostly natural (although not organic or virgin) soja oil (only very little of cocoa is in it!), and much better for your skin and environment than any mineral-oil based lotion/cream or oil.

So yes, this Palmers oil has been my every-day body moisturiser on-and off for many years. I actually dry my skin after shower, and apply a small amount on warm skin, put some loose clothes on until it sinks in fully (about 20 min to apply make up etc). It so cheap, very fast relief for dry skin, has a lovely sweet smell that doesn't clash with parfume, if you don't slather a lot of it on, and is just far easier/faster to apply than any lotion.

A very good product that can be easily mixed with a few drops of bergamot or other essential oil to mask the sweet chocolate/vanilla scent it has. As I recently had the bottle leaking in the bag, I poured it into a an emty spray bottle instead, much safer.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love this product!
It is so perfect for dry skin and it smells delicious. I use it everyday and my skin is now so soft and smooth. It hasn't irritated my skin which quite sensitive and it makes it glow and look healthy and radiant (seriously).

on 8/19/2008 8:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I put this in my bath and slather it on before a shower, and then use a body scrub. My skin stays baby smooth all year round with this routine. It's great stuff but does smell a bit cloying if you use it on its own as a moisturiser.
Tip: When my bank balance is in the red, I mix this oil and a handful of sugar for a budget sugar scrub. Has the same effect as commercial ones for a fraction of the price!
UPDATE: Works even better if you apply it to soaking wet skin straight from the bath, pat dry and then apply the lotion. Heaven!

on 11/26/2007 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I went for it first because of the scent and the hope of quick application. I was using it for quite a while and liked it. However after some time I realized that it gets onto my sheets and even clothes and they will smell like old cooking oil. It's even hard to get out with washing. I switched to the lotion and I don't have this problem. The lotion is the best one I've ever used. Scent is one major factor for me when using skincare products and Palmer's cocoa lotion wins!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I'm super lazy and HATE applying body lotions so I love this stuff for the ease of use and how well it works. I apply a little bit to my skin after a shower before I towel dry so it has time to soak in. I personally think it smells heavenly and leaves my skin silky smooth but without a greasy feel which one might expect from an oil. It also gives skin a nice sheen, which is great during the summer. This also works well in the bath, although it tends to leave a film around the edge of the tub so I prefer to use it in the shower. It's one of the only scented products my boyfriend doesn't complain about because it's not overly strong, nor does it clash with perfumes when I wear them. I like that it's easily available, dirt cheap and Palmer's often goes on sale, which is when I stock up on this :) The packaging does suck though, as others have mentioned. They really need to add a spray or pump top on this.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have an absolute addiction to Palmer's products right now! I have the pump lotion, the jar and now have the oil. The Body oil is fantastic, pretty, light and moisturising. I use it in my bath and I apply it in the morning before I dress. I love the scent but can see how some would find it cloying.
UPDATE: I've stopped using this on my body in the morning as I've rediscovered a proudly South African product: Bio-Oil and now only use Palmers oil in the bath as a bath oil.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I tried. I really did. Upon the first whiff, i thought, "Mmmm... chocolate!" HOURS later, however, as I struggled to breathe through what reminded me of a cheap chocolate easter bunny, I thought, "Aagkchhh... chocolate!" I must add that I am typically a big fan of foody scents. NOT this one! Oh, and when it finally did fade, a LITTLE, the next day, it smelled nohing like chocolate and a lot like, I dunno, a grubby, sweaty 4-year-old who just came off the playground in July. In Alabama. Those of you who know that smell know that it's not one you want to slather all over and go man-huntin'! I was expecting to emerge from the shower a glistening, cocoa butter-scented goddess. Quite disappointing.

on 12/17/2005 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm really happy with Palmer's Cocoa Butter Body Oil. I actually use it as a makeup remover, before I wash with Palmer's Cocoa Butter soap. It removes all of my makeup (Bare Minerals) without a struggle, and my complexion has never looked this good.

on 6/16/2005 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I feel a little conflicted over whether I would purchase this again. There are several good things about this product. I haven't had any problem with the bottle so applying it after I take a shower while I am still wet has worked fine for me. I do find the chocolate scent to be very strong. I am not fond of food scents for body products. I have added a ton of orange essential oil (as in a couple of inches) and finally have this product smelling much more like chocolate-orange than just chocolate (which I find much more pleasant than just straight chocolate). If you like the scent of strong chocolate I think you will like this scent. As it is, this scent really lingers on me - I can still smell it on my skin hours after my shower - which is very unusual for me. I think this does an okay job of moisturizing my skin. I normally make my own body oils with a mixture of shea oil, almond oil and jojoba oil. I bought this bottle when I was short on my own supply of oils (which I have to order over the internet) and I was curious to see if I enjoyed the chocolate experience. I mostly likely will stick with my own body oil mixture since it is very inexpensive in the long run and does a great job of moisturizing my skin with natural skin products and no preservatives.