Palmer's Body Oil

Price: $

on 6/4/2017 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

There's another spot for this product that is more correctly named, but this one has more reviews so I'll add mine here.

I got the "Cocoa Butter Formula Moisturizing Body Oil" which is what I'm pretty sure is what most people here are referring to. I LOVE their cocoa butter formula in the jar so I figured I would try this. I had been using Shea moisture oils prior to this and also tried that cocoa butter gel from CVS a while back.

Gotta be honest, this is my least favorite of all of those. I don't like the scent as much as other palmers products which really sucks because I thought it would be the same and I had high hopes for this. It actually bothers me. I think it moisturizes 'ok', maybe a little better than ok but I don't find the ingredients list to be THAT amazing. A lot of generic oils which would be much better without the scent. I almost want to make it out of my pantry ingredients. The Shea Moisture one is strong but so decadent and delicious that I'm definitely going to get that one again next.

The benefit to oils is that even though they're greasy at first, they do absorb a bit better than thick products like the gels or the tub of Palmers which feels really luxurious but stays on for longer. I don't think oils give an instant moisturizing effect (especially on really dry, parched skin) but I agree with those who say to use it after the shower. That's pretty much the only way. Part of what oils and petroleum based products do is seal in the moisture so it doesn't escape as opposed to drawing it in (like a hyaluronic acid would). That's why I say they moisturize 'medium'. However, I do like using oils and think in long term use it does soften skin. I just don't think this is one I'll repurchase, mainly due to the smell, sadly.

on 4/24/2012 6:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

Pros-
Good quality bath oil, light and easily absorbed by the skin, good moisturizing coverage and cost effective.

Cons-
The only -ve side of this product is that it tends to leave a stubborn rancid oil smell on clothes, towel and even entire bathroom. I never faced this issue with other bath oils that I have used before. Not a fan of the smell, hence I will look for other options before buying this one.

on 7/15/2010 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I picked this up on a whim since baby oil just doesn't seem to be enough for my skin the last few weeks. The trick to using this (or any body oil) is to apply them to wet skin, and when doing this I don't have to follow this with any lotion, which I would have to do with baby oil (also applied to wet skin) or any oil applied to dry skin. I love the scent of this, but it does fade over the day, and by nighttime I can't smell it anymore. I also like using a more natural oil on my skin, and though it is greasy initially it does sink in after a while. I would definitely purchase again.

on 8/8/2009 10:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

This is a daily beauty staple for my skin. It's so rich and moisturizing, i find i don't even need to use moisturizer (although i follow it up with the palmer's cocoa butter :P).
It's very cheap, a little goes a long way: I have a bottle of this in the shower, and when I'm finished and still wet i get a tiny bit in my hands and smooth it all over myself (the water helps it spread).

Then i get out, and dab my body dry with a towel so to not wipe it all off. This is great for an anti-irritator after shaving, and lightly fragrances your skin and it feels like silk! I'd say its a bit too much to use on dry skin, but hey to each their own.

There are a few downsides...the packaging and the smell. I love the scent ... don't get me wrong ... but it's not something i want to smell 24/7 as it tends to be quite strong, even when its diluted by all the water on my body. I have my own perfume so tend to keep this off my arms, neck and chest so it's not too overpowering. Also..If it came in a spray type bottle, i think it would be perfect. The screw lid is just a little clumsy and it's hard to get the right amount of oil sometimes - but these aren't enough for me to take a lippie off.

I prefer this to the cocoa butter moisturizer - it seems just to work better. I highly recommend to those with dry skin, or those who get irritated after shaving! Overall, I'm glad i decided to pick it up :) and would most definitely repurchase.

on 6/15/2009 10:36:00 PM

I have tried this on dry and damp skin and it seems more effective when used on damp or wet skin and then blot dry with a towel. The foody chocolate chip cookie dough scent is diluted somewhat that way. Straight up, the smell is a bit over the top, plus takes longer to absorb. My bottle is a bit leaky and this seems a common problem. I like that this does not contain mineral oil. Good quality product for the price.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love this product. It makes my skin VERY soft and silky, and is especially good on my legs after shaving. I use it after showering, before applying cocoa butter, which really seals in the moisture (although this isn't recommended for hot days, as it becomes sticky). Only a little is needed so it lasts for a long time, and the sugary scent is an added bonus!

on 3/3/2008 5:57:00 PM

Bought this today. It feels great on my skin and soaks in really well even on dry skin. The smell is a bit more baby oily than I'd like - which is odd cos it isn't made of the same stuff. I think I might do as other MUA reviewers have and switch it into a spray bottle too as the packaging isn't great. Otherwise - good product.

on 11/26/2007 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I went for it first because of the scent and the hope of quick application. I was using it for quite a while and liked it. However after some time I realized that it gets onto my sheets and even clothes and they will smell like old cooking oil. It's even hard to get out with washing. I switched to the lotion and I don't have this problem. The lotion is the best one I've ever used. Scent is one major factor for me when using skincare products and Palmer's cocoa lotion wins!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I agree with the other reviewers: Decant this into a spray bottle or you'll be leaving oil slicks in the bathroom and wiping your hands constantly! But-- packaging issues aside-- I love this oil in the cooler months. I mostly use it on my legs, which seem to get the most dry. The scent is very pleasant and sweet, a bit vanilla-ish like most Palmer's products. It does dissipate quickly and doesn't clash with perfumes. The oil is a mixture of plant oils and synthetic emulsifiers, so it feels very light and absorbs quickly. I think the trick is to use sparingly!

I perfer this body oil over Johnsons & Johnsons any day! It is very light weight but also very moisturizing!! I love love love the smell, but it's not something I would put on during the day. I use this body oil after a shower while my skin is still damp. I have also used it on my feet and it works wonders. The only thing that I dislike it the bottle. It's a pain in the ass, so I've transfered it into a spary bottle so it is MUCH easier to apply.