Palmer's Body Oil

4.1

on 6/4/2017 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

There's another spot for this product that is more correctly named, but this one has more reviews so I'll add mine here.

I got the "Cocoa Butter Formula Moisturizing Body Oil" which is what I'm pretty sure is what most people here are referring to. I LOVE their cocoa butter formula in the jar so I figured I would try this. I had been using Shea moisture oils prior to this and also tried that cocoa butter gel from CVS a while back.

Gotta be honest, this is my least favorite of all of those. I don't like the scent as much as other palmers products which really sucks because I thought it would be the same and I had high hopes for this. It actually bothers me. I think it moisturizes 'ok', maybe a little better than ok but I don't find the ingredients list to be THAT amazing. A lot of generic oils which would be much better without the scent. I almost want to make it out of my pantry ingredients. The Shea Moisture one is strong but so decadent and delicious that I'm definitely going to get that one again next.

The benefit to oils is that even though they're greasy at first, they do absorb a bit better than thick products like the gels or the tub of Palmers which feels really luxurious but stays on for longer. I don't think oils give an instant moisturizing effect (especially on really dry, parched skin) but I agree with those who say to use it after the shower. That's pretty much the only way. Part of what oils and petroleum based products do is seal in the moisture so it doesn't escape as opposed to drawing it in (like a hyaluronic acid would). That's why I say they moisturize 'medium'. However, I do like using oils and think in long term use it does soften skin. I just don't think this is one I'll repurchase, mainly due to the smell, sadly.

on 2/8/2016 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I recommend using this by mixing it in your palm with the Palmers Cocoa Butter lotion and then applying - it's a great way to add more moisture to the skin and is less messy then straight application. After 4-5 days my dry winter skin was nourished and soft. And it lasts forever.

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Fabulous! I use this in summer when it's too hot for lotion. Smells good and natural/light and evens your tan. The bottle is annoying - you will get your bathroom oily. It would be an awesome spray. It's a little heavy - but just a little - so if you apply sparingly fresh out the shower, you're good. Sometimes harder to find.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Can't believe I just started using this given that the use of body oil post showering has long been my preferred means of keeping my skin soft and moist (it so much easier and more effective than body lotion!). For some reason it never occurred to me that Palmer's made their cocoa butter products in an oil form. I had been using baby oil all this time which works just fine, but Palmer's is a more natural and better smelling alternative. It's fantastic at banishing the painfully itchy dryness I often experience around my sides, hips and thighs during the winter and leaves my legs incredibly smooth after shaving. I just slather it on right after I shut off the water in the shower, rub it in as best I can and then towel off the excess as I dry off. So much more efficient than using lotion on dry skin! Love the scent too. It smells just like you'd expect any cocoa butter based product to, like creamy and sweet hot cocoa. At around $5 for 8 oz it's a little more expensive than baby oil, but still cheap enough that the minor splurge isn't enough to fuss over.

on 2/5/2009 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

This is a wonderful and affordable body oil. A girlfriend and I were talking and she said she uses body oil instead of lotions since her skin gets so dry; so when I was in the drug store and saw this for BOGOF I couldn't resist.

I have been using it for about 2 weeks now, so far I think this is better than any lotion I have ever used. About an 1 or so after applying lotion my skin feels itch and dry again. With this oil it seems to keep my skin nice and soft all day long. I apply right away after a show, it seems like I have to put quite a bit on as it doesn't seem to spead easily - that's ok.

It does have the signature chocolate scent but by the time I am done with my hair and makeup the oil sunk in and the scent faded. I even asked my co-workers if they thought I smelled like a huge hershey bar...they said they didn't smell anything until I thrusted my arm under their noses and made the smell me :)

Overall, I think this is a great product and for under $2 bucks its a real steal. If you don't like it as a body oil put some in a bath or use it as a body scrub in the shower. Or a nice romantic massage...my hubby loves this stuff!!

on 3/3/2008 5:57:00 PM

Bought this today. It feels great on my skin and soaks in really well even on dry skin. The smell is a bit more baby oily than I'd like - which is odd cos it isn't made of the same stuff. I think I might do as other MUA reviewers have and switch it into a spray bottle too as the packaging isn't great. Otherwise - good product.

on 11/26/2007 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I went for it first because of the scent and the hope of quick application. I was using it for quite a while and liked it. However after some time I realized that it gets onto my sheets and even clothes and they will smell like old cooking oil. It's even hard to get out with washing. I switched to the lotion and I don't have this problem. The lotion is the best one I've ever used. Scent is one major factor for me when using skincare products and Palmer's cocoa lotion wins!

on 9/13/2007 8:03:00 PM

I just decant this into an old bottle with a squirt top ... easy!
This is the best oil - i love the scent (i wish it lingered) and it is ultra moisturising! BUT ... I actually use it as a shave oil. I am prone to awful shave rash and heard that oils were better (glide) but they are usually really exy. I thought, bugger it = i'm trying with this product and its sensational. Not only were my legs so easy to shave but they are so moisturised! I will continue to use this product as a shave oil.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I'm super lazy and HATE applying body lotions so I love this stuff for the ease of use and how well it works. I apply a little bit to my skin after a shower before I towel dry so it has time to soak in. I personally think it smells heavenly and leaves my skin silky smooth but without a greasy feel which one might expect from an oil. It also gives skin a nice sheen, which is great during the summer. This also works well in the bath, although it tends to leave a film around the edge of the tub so I prefer to use it in the shower. It's one of the only scented products my boyfriend doesn't complain about because it's not overly strong, nor does it clash with perfumes when I wear them. I like that it's easily available, dirt cheap and Palmer's often goes on sale, which is when I stock up on this :) The packaging does suck though, as others have mentioned. They really need to add a spray or pump top on this.

on 7/4/2007 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm a bit torn about this product. I really do love the smell, but I don't find it very moisturizing for my extremely dry skin. It kind of just sits on my skin & creates a small oil slick effect. I still apply moisturizer afterwards and I think the oil actually blocks the moisturizer from absorbing effectively. I'm also not a fan of the packaging as it leaks & leaves nasty rings all over my bathroom counter that attract lint & become very unsightly. Still, I cannot give it up... the smell lures me back every time & somehow, mentally, I can't believe that pure oil on my skin isn't somehow moisturizing...

I will provide an update after I have made up my mind!