Maybelline Mineral Power Powder Foundation

Maybelline Mineral Power Powder Foundation
Mineral Power Powder Foundation

3.2

Zinc Oxide, Polyethylene, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Ptfe, Synthetic Wax, Acrylates Copolymer, Lauroyl Lysine, Cetyl Dimethicone, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Trisocetyl Citrate, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Iron Oxides, Ultramarines

I purchased this because of lots of good reviews on Amazon from people who were paying two and three times the base retail price because Maybelline supposedly didn't sell it anymore.
Many claimed to be former uses of Bare Minerals, which I like, along with the much cheaper Everyday Minerals, which you have to buy online.
In fact, it is available now, marketed as an 'Only at Walmart' product and it was quite cheap -- $7 or $8 for a generous amount of powder and a not terrible baby buki brush.
So I when I saw it I bought it, even though the color selection was the extremely limited. Creamy Natural appeared to be darkest. My skin is kind of olive, with yellow undertones. And I REALLY didn't like it.
My bare skin isn't terrible, even though I'm in my late 50s. I can get away with using Sally Hansen spray bronzer -- not sprayed directly onto my face, but mixed with moisturizer in my palm, followed by a little concealer along the nostril folds. But my skin looks far from flawless.
Reviewers said the Maybelline minerals provided very good coverage, without settling into pores and lines.
The coverage is indeed very good. It's buildable and you can layer enough on that it is opaque, without feeling like you're wearing anything. And it's matte, which I typically prefer.
But it's too matte by far. Lifeless. Also, overly uniform in color. Like I used tan paint. And my pores showed a lot. Of course it also settled into wrinkles, but I wouldn't detract lippies for that -- no product, no matter how high end, is going to skim over anything deeper than very fine lines.
Personally, I'd rather have mediocre skin than a perfect surface that makes me look considerably older -- and kind of like I need a good wash.
Even on areas where I am visibly poreless and have no wrinkles, the makeup looks a bit grubby. I realize that the fairer shades do tend to look cleaner in mineral makeup -- something about the brown pigments can appear muddy in quite a few brands.
But I'm not sure this stuff would work for anyone, no matter how fair-skinned or how young. It seems like you'd have to have quite an oily face for it not to look flat and if your face is that oil your pores are likely large enough that this will call attention to them.
I hate throwing product away, so I tried using a very light application, followed by an even lighter dusting with Physicians Formula Powder Palette Pearls Powder Palette in Translucent Pearl, 7040 -- THE most underrated drugstore product in the entire world. Applied sparingly, it makes pores and small flaws much less noticeable without perceptible iridescence. Why the poor reviews? Because they're evaluating ALL the shades, and only Translucent Pearl looks 100% natural (but not if you apply too much).
The Maybelline / Physicians Formula combo was an improvement over the Maybelline alone.
But the result, while more polished and closer to 'perfect,' wasn't as attractive as my go-to Sally Hansen/Moisturizer combo, followed by strategic concealer and the same light dusting of Physicians Formula.
Not worth buying. Better to pay 50 per cent more for a better drugstore brand of minerals if you are on a budget and avoiding high-end.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I bought this foundation because everybody was talking about it., even the youtubers & MUA. I decided to buy this foundation few weeks ago and when it arrive I'm so excited to try it, unfortunately I bought this foundation in the shade Buff Beige which is a lil dark for me. I try to fix it with lighter concealer and it does help a lil bit , but then my face oxidize and my face looks so dark 😭 btw, the foundation itself was quite amazing. It hold the oiliness and the pores (not too much) honestly, idk whether i will repurchase or not 😳

on 9/20/2016 12:50:00 AM

I am 50 years old and like to use an SPF50+ sunscreen on my face every day. For this reason, I really like powder foundation because I can use my sunscreen as a base/primer and the powder foundation over the top. I have tried probably 20+ powder foundations and I just keep coming back to this. I even prefer this to the Elizabeth Arden powder foundation and that is a little gem!

I recently came back to this. I am not sure why I ever stopped using it to be honest, but I did. Anyway, I purchased this in Classic Ivory. Some powder foundations just look really flat and lifeless (NYX springs to mind here!), but this one has a kind of glowy effect without looking shiny. The brush is completely useless. If you are going to use powder foundation, you need to invest in a decent kabuki brush. Powder brushes don't get enough product onto your skin, so a kabuki is essential. I only swirl the kabuki once and this gives me enough product to do my entire face. I would say that I use about half a teaspoon of powder to get light to medium coverage. After that I use Bare Escentuals "Well Rested" eye as my concealer. What I like about powder foundations is that provided your skin is pretty decent, it is a flawless finish. It is also quick and easy. I have used really expensive powder foundations like Youngblood that just looked terrible and cakey. This one looks like an expensive foundation and is really inexpensive. Currently I am using it over Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Face Lotion SPF50+ and I couldn't be happier.

on 8/27/2015 10:11:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

One of my more fave powders, I apply my moisturizer (let dry), BB Cream, Foundation and then finally this powder and my face looks flawless.

Con: The brush that comes with it is terrible and sheds all over the first few times you use it or you could just purchase another powder brush like I did and it works a hundred times better.

on 2/15/2016 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Brush is useless. Coverage isn't great. Enhances fine lines, even when primer is used. Ran out of MAC, but will never look for alternatives as it seems the more you pay the better the product. Don't waste your money

on 12/13/2016 1:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Coverage is medium. I actually received this as a gift, so I can't say much about price. The packaging gets a little messy, especially if, God forbid, tipped over or dopped (the horror!), so that can definitely be improved. The brush applicator is again, messy. The shades are a bit disappointing. I was given the lightest one (ivory) and its still darker than my complexion, so even if I want to, I can't use it.

on 10/29/2014 6:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

This powder foundation had been sitting in my makeup drawer untouched for quite awhile.
Pulled it out recently because I wanted a powder that would provide a little coverage to wear over my more sheer foundations. Like it a lot for that purpose. I've been applying it with my Sonia Kashuk Synthetic Buffing Brush. Adds the little extra coverage I've been wanting and I like the finish. Its nice and matte but not dead. It sets my makeup nicely and I think it also controls oil since I don't notice any oil showing through during the day when I'm wearing this. The packaging is fine. Sturdy. A product I would consider repurchasing.

on 10/8/2014 8:52:00 PM

Love this! It works well and really helps my face look healthier and its an amazing foundation at the same time.

on 11/6/2014 11:47:00 PM

An insult to the mineral cosmetic genre. This product left my face with an orange cast (What is with Maybelline concealers,foundations and powders and their tendency to oxidize therefore turning a orange tint?) The finish is not flattering,making my complexion look dull and lifeless,which is not what a mineral cosmetic product should do or look like. Glad to see this product has been discontinued in stores.

on 1/13/2015 10:57:00 AM

I have been using this powder for about 2 years now. I have combination skin and I prefer a more natural look for my makeup. This mineral powder has never caused me to break out or get oily. It seems to control any oil quite well. In the summer I will use an oil absorbing powder under it for my forehead. The color matches my skin perfectly. It does a good job of evening out the skin tone in general but isn't great for covering individual dark spots or any major lines or creases in the face. It is priced fairly and lasts a long time. It does stand out on dry skin so be sure to moisturize if your skin is at all flakey. I would recommend anyone with good to decent skin to give it a try.