NARS Beach

No Image

4.4

on 8/21/2010 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

For reference I'm an NC40 with golden undertones, normal/combo oily skin.

Guess I'm the minority on this. This is not a good quality product for the price. The packaging is so bulky and messy, powder goes flying everywhere and you end up wasting a load of product. The puff that's included with it is useless; hard and doesn't fit into the box. The powder itself is quite finely milled but it doesn't go on well....it clumps up on some parts of my face, doesn't blend in smoothly, makes my face look so made up, powdery and TOO matte. Worse than that is the colour match - it makes me look like a geisha, but then proceeds to oxidise later throughout the day and gives me a slight orange tinge. It doesn't control oil particularly well either, although I don't know if this product is supposed to or not.

Such a waste of money...even my Maybelline dream matte powder is much better quality than this.

I was actually color matched with Eden in the powders but the makeup Artist suggested i buy Beach (I'm usually a NC25). Why would i buy 1 level deeper?

Reason: These powders are mattifying. They are so finely milled, sets foundations and tinted moisturizers very well. However, if i get my exact shade, my entire face would look very flat with no dimension. So she suggested going with warmer tone (darker yellow) for these reasons (1) Warm my face up without bronzer, (2) be used all year round when in the summer i get darker and (3) match my neck better which is often slightly darker (4) if i ever buy a foundation too light, i can use this to better match my skin.

By that advice, i was really impressed. I have had this container for over a year and still haven't finished it. The packaging is sleek and it's a good size. There is a soft round sponge which i use to press/roll the powder onto my face. If you use a brush you end up dusting the product everywhere. You want to roll the product with the sponge puff and actually set the foundation.

I do still own my MAC Select Sheer Powder in pressed form because i don't like the flimsy sponge the Nars pressed powder come in. I am rebuying this loose powder for home use again when i run out...whenever that is! :)

on 2/13/2009 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I use this as the base for my bare minerals foundation and it makes my application absolutely flawless and it's also good with keeping the shinies away.

on 12/1/2008 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is HG for me! This powder gives a lovely finish without looking fake or too matte. I don't think it actually claims to be an oil control powder so I'm not worried that the tip of my nose needs a touchup at lunchtime. I like the fact that it goes so well with any foundation that I wear and 45grams is a huge amount of product to get through - I'm only a couple of months into it. The powder puff is disappointing. I don't know why they even bother. A small flat brush would have been awesome. I like the 2 sifter idea. I took the plastic one off and laid the mesh directly on top of the powder and placed the plastic one over the top. I also cut the sticker seal to just open up 3 holes on the plastic sifter (the rest are still sealed by the sticker) and it's much less mess especially when I'm travelling. Great stuff!

UPDATE: 2 years later and I'm still using the same pot. Such a perfect powder. It will probably be another year before I finish this. LOVE!

on 1/9/2010 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Love this stuff! Beach matches my skin perfectly. I love how finely milled this powder is. Flawless. I apply it with my MAC 187 after applying my DIOR Nude Skin Hydrating foundation and my skin looks amazing. This will last forever! Love it. Best loose powder I have ever tried.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

You get a lot of product in this container which is SO NICE!!! It hasn't broke me out at all but the one problem is, is that it is a powdered look....it's very matte which some may really like but also, it looks like a powdered face. If you are dry this may not look good on you. I would buy it again even though it's very powdery because it does last all day or all night and I don't have to touch up at all which is a blessing!

on 5/26/2008 9:58:00 AM

For an oily skinned gal, I found this powder mediocre. The finish (in the first half an hour) is beautifully velvety and provides an "air brush" illusion. For my MAC NC25-30/EL DW Light #3/EL DW Sand skin, I found that beach blends in well and doesn't give that "chalky" or "powdery" look that one gets with most loose powders or powder makeup in general. However, I found that this did not control my oil as well as I'd expect it to so therefore, this does not fulfill its function (IMO). For $34, I will not be keeping this and will be returning it to Sephora.

on 10/30/2008 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is my HG face powder. It melts into my skin and never looks cakey. It's worth every penny considering how much is in the container. I've been using it for 6 months so it looks like it will be a yearly purchase. Application is a breeze. I put the plastic insert with the holes over the powder and put the screen on top. Then I shake a little into the lid and apply with a brush. For travel, I filled up an old mineral powder container and put a puff on top to keep the powder in place. I have bought a few cheap pressed-powder compacts since purchasing this and nothing compares. They got tossed, this is the keeper.

on 11/7/2008 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

The reason I'm giving one less lippie is simply because the puff doesn't fit inside the case, which I think is quite ridiculous.. I don't know where to store it for hygeine purposes!

As for the loose powder itself, I love it. I used to use the Bare Escentuals loose powder in Light and this color is sooooo close, but NARS loose powder is much softer and it melts into my skin, so my makeup doesn't look fake. Lasts all day, so easy to use, non-irritating and great match for my asian, olive skin!

on 3/21/2008 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

*Pictures Included*

How should I put this? I absolutely LOVE this powder. The powder is really finely milled and is matte, but not fake looking. It sets my makeup, does not dry out my dry cheeks and keeps the shine from my nose. It may seem pricey at first (I was contemplating using Everyday Minerals Foundation as a loose powder), but after comparing the price per gram, NARS is a lot cheaper! Also, I understand how people might think the packaging for this stuff is messy, but I've found a way to make it really neat! In the inside, there is an indent (see pic), so that is how the loose powder gets everywhere. It is also really stupid of NARS to make a puff that does not even fit inside the case! So what I did was I took the puff from my previous powder and just stuck it in the NARS case! At first, I thought the puff would make it so that the lid would not close properly, but I was wrong! Even though the puff was thicker than the indent in the container, I was able to put on the lid with surprising ease! So now, I get no mess! However, there is one thing that I found odd when I first bought this. When I opened it for the first time, inside was a net that was supported with a cardboard frame in addition to the regular plastic sifter with holes. I did not know what to do with the net, but I did not want to throw it away, so I just stuck it inside with the powder where it would not bother me but I still would not have to throw it away. As for the color, this is perfect for me. It is really yellow so it really blends into my Asian skin and it looks really natural. I think this might just be HG!

the lid: