Argan Oil

Argan Oil
Josie Maran Pure Argan OilArgan Oil

4.1

Argania Spinosa Oil

I used to use coconut oil for hair, face and body. The smell is delicious, yet it is not the best oil for me. It makes my hair look greasy (hair mask, or after washing my hair) and not healthy. And if I used only a tiny tiny bit it doesn't show any long lasting effect but the greasy hint on my hair. I have long hair, so I used it on my lenghts only. On my face it feels like a greasy film. Plus it clogged my pores and so I got more acne. I researched a bit and found a comparison "Coconut oil VS Argan oil" (there are a few on the web). Argan oil always wins so I ordered a 120ml bottle. It is pure, unrefined argan oil. Coconut oil is nothing compared to argan oil. It makes my hair look shiny AND healthy, not greasy (but you can overdo it though, mind that). I feel like I use an elixir from heaven! Plus the effect lasts much longer than coconut oil. I like to use it on my lips, undereyes and eyelashes, too. For the rest of my face I switched to Jojoba oil. I do not regret switching to these two oils (Jojoba oil is wax but they still call it an oil). My skin looks better, my acne heals much faster (in combination with Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay) and my hair looks so wonderful! If you have problems with coconut oil or any other oil, I recommend you to try Argan/Jojoba oil.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Here's a story about how argan oil saved my dry-to-the-bone chapped lips.

I also have very dry acne-prone skin and I'm in the second month of a course of Accutane. Even before I started the Accutane my lips were dry from the cold weather, but since I've been on it they have been a peely, bleeding, crusty, chapped nightmare. I slathered on so much lip balm but to no avail (I tried aquaphor, vaseline w/aloe, various lush ones, and Elizabeth Arden 8-hour one). I even stopped wearing lipsticks because they all looked so bad and accentuated all the flakes.

So, on a whim I bought some Woolies brand 100% pure argan oil from my local winners last week (on Accutane there's no such thing as too many oils). I slept with it on overnight, all over my face and lips with some added aquaphor on the lips. Lo and behold, the next morning my lips actually felt like my normal lips again for the first time in weeks! I don't have to reapply lip balm every 15 minutes at work anymore and I can actually wear cream lipsticks again! So my new lip routine every night: elf hydrating drops then argan oil and then aquaphor to seal it all in. It's long and complicated but so worth it.

As a face moisturizer/occlusive I was impressed at how fast it sink in. It isn't quite rich enough for overnight as I wake up with slightly parched skin in the morning, but it's awesome for daily use. It hasn't caused any acne at all, and goes well under my foundation and primer.

on 12/2/2017 5:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have dry to normal acne prone skin, i get closed comedones pretty much all over my face that are a real pain to get rid of. Most oils break me out but some don't, like hemp seed oil, safflower oil and rosehip seed oil. All of these oil have a low rating on the comedogenic scale, hemp and safflower oil have a 0 rating and rosehip has a rating of 1. So i thought as long as i stick to the oils with a low rating i will be fine, argan oil has a rating of 0 and since i heard so much about it, liquid gold etc, i decided to try it. I made a mistake by introducing this oil together with other new products in my skincare and makeup routine, so when i started getting more closed comedones than i usually do, I blamed every other product but this one and removed them from my routine, thinking this couldn't possibly break me out, it has a 0 rating. But i soon realised that this oil was the culprit.

So i stopped using it on my face and started to put the oil in my hair. I used it as a mask before i wash it and a little bit on the ends of my hair after i blow dry. Ive used moroccan oil before and it was great, left my hair silky smooth and healthy looking. And considering that argan oil is the key ingredient i thought i would get similar results at a much cheaper price-tag. But i was wrong, it left my hair feeling stiff and hay-like, but at the same time very greasy, it didnt absorb well at all. What gave me great results with the moroccan oil was all the silicones the put in there.

In conclusion I just want to say that do not trust all the comedogenic scales and natural skincare blogs, just because it says it has a zero chance of breaking you out doesn't mean it is true, the research is limited and they have probably not tested on all skin types. This oil like many others, is not for everyone, but by all means try it for yourself, considering loads of people swear by it, but be cautious!

side note: I used organic coldpressed argan oil imported from Morocco, it was a little bit on the pricier side, the company is called organic makers. Just incase if anyone was wondering.

on 8/28/2017 3:58:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love it as a night mosturizer, I put it before I go to sleep and I wake up with nice plump hydrated skin.I also love it as a hair mask.Before buying make sure it's only ingredient is cold pressed argan oil and nothing else.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I am not buy this product on future, I am waste much more money of this products, but no one any solution.

on 9/29/2016 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Argan oil is amazing. Nuff said. I personally use it on my hair to nourish it. I begin to use it after washing my hair when it is almost dry. Then I use 1-2 drops everyday to nourish it gradually until my next wash and the results are beautiful! And i aint even exaggerating.

on 9/18/2016 11:08:00 PM

I have Spring Valley Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Serum, I purchased for about $12 and it's lasted me about 9 months and I mix it with my body lotion. I used it on my previously pregnant belly, and I got no stretch marks. I put this on my face. in my hair. I use it for everything and it's great bc it's not super greasy. The shine it gives my hair is great.

on 9/14/2016 4:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I use this only as a face moisturizer because it is quite pricey even for the small bottle. I do like that it easily absorbs into my skin and doesn't leave oily residues. 3/4 pump of argan oil on my fingertips is enough for my whole face and I massage it into my skin until it is absorbed. It only takes a minute before it is absorbed, which I find is really great when I'm in a hurry. I will repurchase this in a bigger bottle.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't put this directly on my face (so this review is not about how well it does on my face). I use this in a slightly different way than I'd say most women. I add this to my bath water and soak for about 20-30 minutes. I makes my hair very soft. Also, my skin is well moisturized. Now here comes the "different" and frankly somewhat personal use I have for argan oil. My lady parts are quite sensitive to soaps and bubble baths and such, even traditional personal lubricants. When added to my bath water, argan oil does not irritate me at all. In fact, it works as a great personal lubricant; let me explain why. Argan oil is high in vitamin E, which plumps cells and keeps then healthy and hydrated; this goes for the cells lining your lady parts as well. If you suffer from feminine dryness or even if you find yourself becoming dry too quickly during intimacy, give this a shot: add some to bath water. I realize this is a little strange but I've done my research (being an esthetician, I always do) and apparently it's a great natural remedy or lubricant for those sensitive to traditional personal lubricants. Anyhoo, hope this hasn't offended anyone and helps someone who might need this suggestion!

on 4/15/2015 5:17:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I've found that this is lighter and soaks in better than coconut and jojoba oil. Applied it to my parched frizzy hair and it really helped with dryness/frizz and added a glossy look. You can overdo do it, no question. The result doesn't look quite so stringy/greasy like it does with the heavier oils, though.

edit: I've found that the best way to apply this is to rub a drop or two on my palms and then rake it through clean, wet hair. The oil gets distributed better like this.

I used Glonaturals Organic (purchased at vitacost.com, $7 for 1oz).