Josie Maran Cosmetics 100% Pure Argan Oil

3.8

100% pure organic Argan Oil

on 12/5/2016 1:41:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

It's literally just one ingredient.... organic argan oil. You can buy the same exact product for $12 on Amazon instead of $96 at Sephora. The extra $74 is just for the name Josie Maran.

on 11/15/2016 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Holy crap, this stuff is expensive. But it is so worth it - especially if you shop on QVC, they often have cheap bundle deals! That's how I got a hold of this product.

I have combo skin, dry around my mouth and normal everywhere else. I tend to always favor more hydrating makeup/skin care products. I had fallen in love with Josie Maran's new foundation, and was desperate to get it, so I ordered the only place it was available - QVC, as part of a bundle deal. It came with the foundation, this Argan Oil, the argan milk, and a few other things.

The website makes a huge list of claims that this product can do, so I think we'll go down the list.

Body - I have used this on a few dry patches on my body. It does, in fact, help smooth them out, especially if you rub in a few drops every day.

Face - obviously, this does work as a nice moisturizer. I have noticed my dry spots are not nearly as dry now that I am using this product. (To be fair, though, the same can be said of any hydrating moisturizer.)

Wrinkles - This isn't a miracle worker, so don't expect your wrinkles to completely disappear. That being said, I have noticed my undereye fine lines are reduced. I think people with mature skin will see more dramatic results than me.

Nails - Yeah, it works just fine there, too. I tend to use this or other oils to help with hangnails, it really helps them heal faster.

Hair - Can't comment. My hair doesn't need frizz control or anything like that.

Acne - I have been dealing with some hormonal breakouts lately, and while, again, this isn't a miracle worker, it is keeping the pimples under control. Everything is healing pretty fast and I am noticing that slowly, the breakouts are being curbed. (Obviously, though you shouldn't rely on this oil alone to fix acne. Wash, treat, and moisturize every day, that will help the best.)

Lips - yeah, it works, but I hate the feeling of oil on my lips. Others might like it better, I dunno.

Inflammation & Sunburn - no comment. I haven't had a chance to try it with these conditions.

Makeup - still can't comment. I use dewy foundations, so I don't need to mix this in with anything.

Is this oil a miracle worker? No, but it does do very well for many uses. Is it worth the price? I think so, but I can understand why others would elect for cheaper options.
Also, I notice a lot of people complain that this takes forever to absorb. That's true, if you're putting way too much on your face. All you need is 2 -3 drops in your hands - rub them together and smooth it on your face. That's all you need, and it will absorb much more quickly that way.

To Read all 469 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/4/2016 2:13:00 AM

My skin drinks this stuff up! I Love it! I use the regular strength stuff AM and PM and voila. I have dry and dehydrated skin and this stuff is a god send during the cold Canadian winters I have to suffer through. I spend a lot of time outdoors and this stuff works miracles.

Words of advice: Don't forget the spf!

on 11/2/2016 9:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

My skin likes this oil. It hadn't performed miracles or anything but it's a solid choice when my skin's dry or irritated to add some extra moisture. I often add a few drops with whatever cream I'm using and sometimes mix it with my foundation for a more sheer, dewy look.

saved my dead dry skin!!!! i can now use foundation without looking cakey because this is so hydrating! will purchase again and again.

on 8/28/2016 6:56:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I didn't like this. Not hydrating at all! No improvement. Just sat above my skin and never absorbed! Try fresh oil. I loved the smell and how thick and moisturizing.my 16 year old daughter loves it too!

As with my other Josie Maran reviews, this product was pretty effective and accurately marketed, but nowadays you can get MUCH cheaper, high quality pure 100% Argan Oil (which Josie and Morocanoil for haircare, made popular early on).

It was very moisturizing and high in vitamin E and antioxidants. Still one of my favorite oils by far in terms of texture, ease of use, non-clogging, and absorbability.

I got this as a gift and I tried to use it at night as a last step in my skin care routine. It broke me out. I didn't want to waste this product so I tried using it to take off makeup, it's a winner! I tried using coconut oil to take off my makeup in the past and it broke me out, argan oil does not. I don't think I would repurchase because it's way too expensive but I would try another brand of argan oil for this purpose.

on 4/4/2016 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I used this years ago and I could have sworn it broke me out. I used some other brands of argan oil recently and wasn't enthused, even though they miraculously did not break me out. I got a JM gift set at Christmas and started using it after I ran out of other stuff. What do you know, these last couple of months have totally changed my tune on JM argan oil. I never would have bought it on my own (I made the mistake of reading her Top Shelf article on Into the Gloss a couple years ago and her personality, coupled with the extravagant price of a product I was sure broke me out, kind of turned me off the whole brand for awhile).

It's great on its own, and I end up with way more moisturization than I was getting with the cheaper argan oils. My skin just drinks it up and, knock on wood, it hasn't broken me out. I haven't been this impressed with an oil in years. I kind of hate that it works, to be honest, but I guess I'm OK with JM again -- if only for my skin's sake. My pocketbook, however, is really not happy with my skin's decision right now. ;) The good news is that, while it's double or triple the price of other argan oils, a little goes a long way. I probably wouldn't use it to condition my long, thick hair, because I'd run out in no time. But after a couple of months of using it about three times a week on my face, I haven't even made a dent.

It's good on its own, but I've found that layering it over Bravura London's ginseng toner and hyaluronic acid serum plumps up my smile lines and zaps the fine forehead lines I've had since I was in my teens. It works nicely under makeup as long as I wait for it to sink in.

Took a lippie off for price but would otherwise repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Background on my skin: oily, very acne-prone, rosacea.

Most oils break me out. It irks me when someone says "all oils break me out" and are not open to the possibility of one not doing so. Because believe me, I used to think the same. I'm willing to bet 99% of you acne-prone out there can use at least one type of oil - but you might have to try a bunch first. I had to try MANY.

Allow me to give you an idea on just how many I've tried. Oils that break me out: Coconut (biggest offender - in any derivative), vitamin e, olive oil, aloe vera oil, and a bunch of others. Jojoba oil and pure mineral oil are the only ones to work thus far. My skin seems to hate plant based oils. :(

Argan oil is now added to the list of oils that will break me out. I woke up with many clogged pores after one night of usage. During following days those clogs came to a head and I was left with a nasty break out.

The only reason I'm giving this 2 lippies rather than 1 is because it IS very moisturizing. If your skin doesn't break out using this, you're in for a treat. Another pro is I liked adding the remainder of the bottle to my shampoos for added hydration.

I will not repurchase.