MAC Cosmetics #183 flat buffer brush ] [DISCONTINUED]

No Image

on 12/27/2007 5:07:00 PM

When I got an unexpected chance to get a MAC brush(YIPEE!), I was not sure which one I should try. I was debating the 182, the 180 and the 183 brushes. After interviewing other makeup fans, makeup artists and anyone else who would give me the time of day, I finally came to the conclusion that I would be best off with the 183 brush.

The 183 brush is stump handled like kabuki brushes are, but the difference is that the bristles are flat topped instead of rounded. I did not think I would like the flat top as well as the rounded top of the kabuki that I have from Chanel, but instead, I find it to be a wonderful feature.

What I wanted the brush for was to replace my Bare Escentuals brush which applies the foundation. Someone had given me a kit of BE and I just used the brush for a while to see what kind of experience I had with it, so that I had something to compare it with in order to know which was truly best

What I love about the 183 brush is that it has much more surface area to buff in the mineral makeup than the kabuki that I have. I also find it to be much more efficient in giving me that buffed and natural look than the BE foundation brush does. The only trick is that it is a little harder not to get too much product in the brush, since it has more surface area to it- I am experimenting with application with the BE brush and buffing with the 183 and doing both with the 183.

I will edit this review once I have more experience with it. I wanted to get up my current experience with the MAC 183 brush while it was still being offered for purchase because it is listed as LE, which is really sad- this is the softest brush for the face that I have ever used. I find that my kabuki and BE foundation brush are picky at times and they are not as comfortable to use as this one is. I don't mind the white color because I don't care if the bristles get stained- however that might bother some people. My main concern is that it apply the foundation and face products in a way that makes it look natural and not like I am wearing powder or foundation.

Again, I will update this review as I have more experiences with the 183 brush. So far, it is a really nice brush. I am very happy with it. I do want to mention, however, that the ridiculous packaging it comes it is lousy for the high price tag on this brush. It should come with a case or something

I intend to make a case for it to protect the bristles from damage and bending. For the retail price that they charge for this brush, it should come with a long wearing case. continued >>

on 12/8/2007 6:30:00 PM

This $40 brush is pricey, but I will say it is made exquisitely and I really love it. It is a short handled (actually, stump handled) brush with white hair and a flat surface for buffing down highlight powders like beauty powders. I suppose it can be used with Mineral Skin Finish and with regular face powder. It is soft and it skims over the face and is easy to control. It states "Limited Edition" which is a shame, as it is cuter than the 180 which is similar but has a shaving-brush type handle. My favorite brush and not scratchy like so many Kabuki style brushes.

Popular Makeup Brushes