Creative Nail Design Air Dry

No Image

3.6

Air Dry was supposed to be one of the best top coats made by CND, and I was rather suprised by the results I got from my bottle. If you know Creative's line, then youre probably familiar with two other top coats made by them: Super Shiny(Pinkish/purplish color, produces very glassy, shiney results but takes FOREVER to dry) and Speedy(Light yellow--very, very thin product that does dry uber-fast but poor shine and the protection just doesnt last).

Air Dry was supposed to be a merger of them both, and this product was sold to be comparable to higher end top coats like poshe and seche vite----but it falls way short.

The product comes in the signature Creative bottle, nothing special about the bottle or the brush inside it. The shape can make the product hard to mix without getting it full of bubbles, and they really could upgrade the brush, hence the rating.

When I first opened my bottle, the product seemed to be of a nice consistency, but that fades as it dries. Care must be taken to only use two or three strokes as this will pick up and desintegrate polish when applied. Product dried thin and not nearly as shiny as others mentioned above.

I found no UV protection in this product--my french mani did indeed turn yellow the next day.

As per the directions on the back, one base coat--two polish coats--one coat of Air Dry, the results were blah at best. Staying power was as good as drugstore brands. I did not experience tip shrinkage, though, which is high in other brands. This product does not layer well.

on 12/5/2007 3:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

CND's Air Dry is touted as a "fast dry protective top coat." It also has "UV absorbers" to "prevent yellowing and guard against fading and discoloration." When I applied it to my drying manicure, it did impart a very nice shine to my nails. I don't usually have a problem with my nails discoloring in the sun, as I try not to spend too much time in the sun, so I can't speak to this topcoat's ability to protect nailcolor from discoloring in the sun.

I've used this product twice, once over Seche Vite fast-drying topcoat, and once as a topcoat on its own. I saw no increase in the reduction of time my mani took to dry when using Air Dry over SV. It didn't seem to do any harm, though. But when I used this top coat by itself, over 2 coats of a China Glaze polish and a ridgefilling Barielle basecoat, my manicure was still wet and dentable 20 to 30 minutes after applying the top coat. I could use a non-quick drying topcoat and get the same effect, so I am unimpressed with this topcoat thus far. If it claims to be a fast-drying top coat, then I really do think the product should dry fast! I am not giving up on it just yet, though. I think I will experiment with using a non-ridgefilling basecoat, as well as trying a manicure with only CND polish and basecoat. Perhaps it's formulated for best use with other CND products..?

ETA: I've now tried Air Dry with an all CND line-up. I used Stickey basecoat, three coats of CND Crimson Uprising (though the Air Dry bottle says to use two coats of color), and then Air Dry as the top coat. Not only did Air Dry not dry quickly, it was so loose and thin [despite it's appearing to be decently thick] that it actually picked up nail color from at least two of my nails. And that was after letting my nails dry for five to ten minutes before applying top coat! I tried the same color, and the same number of coats, on my toes, and topped them with Seche Vite. They were dry to the touch more quickly than Air Dry, shinier, and less dentable after the same amount of time drying. I'm very unimpressed by this top coat. It dries relatively shiny (though it doesn't hold a candle to Seche Vite), but it's just not a quick dry top coat like it claims to be. Due to its picking up of color and its drying even more slowly than some non-quick dry top coats, I'm adjusting my rating to 1 lippie. I'll probably try it a few more times, but if it continues to pick up color and not dry in a decent amount of time, I'll stop using it altogether.

ETA 2: Hours later, after any normal top coat would have been able to dry my mani, I still smudged and dented the mani in the shower. I used the same color on my toes with a different topcoat, and despite my brushing them with a nail brush and my loofah... there are no smudges and dents. Never again will I bother with this product. Back to Seche Vite I go.

Popular Top/Base Coats