Jherri Redding One 'n Only Color Fix

Jherri Redding One 'n Only Color Fix

3.6

I am very impressed with this product. This was my second time using it and not once has it failed me. The very first time I tryed it was when I dyed my hair a very dark black!! (Stupid of me) it removed the horrible black out of my hair and turned it into a light brown. I recently dyed my hair with a really dark brown and disliked it...so I wanted to go about one shade lighter. I purchased colorfix from sallys beauty supplies. It comes in a small kit with 3 products. this is what I did: I mixed the bottles "step 1" and "step 2" together in small cup and stirred them for about one minute. Then I placed it all over my hair and left it on for only 15 minutes since I only wanted to go like one shade lighter. I covered my hair with a plastic bag since heat helps the product work best. Please keep in mind that you should check for color change every 5 mins or so. I first tried it on a small strand of hair. It works really quickly!! 15 mins worked great for me. ONE IMPORTANT THING IS TO NOT USE "STEP 3" WHICH IS THE "PROCESSING LOTION" THIS STEP WILL MAKE YOUR HAIR DARK!!!! But anyways! My results are great!! I was left with a really light brown. No damage to my hair whats so ever!! Though I did notice less shine!!! Or maybe that was just me. But since my hair was left with an even light brown I was able to dye over it with a more caramel brown!!! which looks very pretty and gave me my shiny hair back! I'm so satisfied with my hair now. Just to make sure my hair wasn't damaged or anything from all my previous dying I used my macadamia oil!! ^_^ soft, shiny beautiful results!!

on 4/26/2013 6:36:00 PM

To summarize: Dyed my hair red, which turned coppery orange at roots and horrible discoloration all over. Next day I bought One n' Only color fix and it saved the day.

READ THE TIPS BELOW!!! I realized a few key things people seem to have missed who have also reviewed this.

First of all, I have been dying my hair a light auburn for YEARS. I love the color and maintain it every 4-6 weeks. On a whim I dared to try a different product (Olia by Garnier - horrible decision) recommended by a friend. The result was an over-developed orange/coppery hairline with patchy stranded hair all over. My hair was four different shades of red/orange/copper all over! Some spots didn't even take to the color including the roots at my widows peak. Talk about horrifying.

Devastated, I sought the help of a hair stripper to subdue and reverse the results of a botched dye job. I read many reviews and decided to go with L'oreal's Color Zap. When I was at the store I saw this other brand and compared the two. One 'n Only sounded more like what I required.

The smell was tolerable, but not pleasant. I wasn't in it for the aroma, I wanted my roots back to normal. Low and behold: it worked!!!! My hair is lighter where the roots were excessively copperish, but overall it worked as described. It worked so well I came here promptly to share.

TIP 1: Do not leave in over 20 minutes. They say this for a reason. Your hair will lighten then discolor if you do so.

TIP 2: Work in quickly. Product is "less effective overtime" as stated on the instructions.

TIP 3: Work product into hair in layers. Save roots for last and massage into scalp with finger tips.

TIP 4: Wear gloves and have a wash rag available for cleaning any areas around neck or shoulders. Any small cuts will burn as I found put.

I really wanted this product to work. Sadly, it didn't work at all. I had dyed my hair bright red and wanted to get the red out so that I could later bleach it blonde. Washing my hair with dandruff shampoo and warm water got rid of most of the red dye in my hair and left my hair a pale salmon color, which I then tried to get rid of by using Colorfix. I performed a strand test and noticed there was no visible difference between the strand and the rest of my hair. So, it was just a waste of money and I returned the product. However, just because it didn't work for my red hair, doesn't mean it might not work for you. I bought this product after seeing positive reviews of people who successfully went from red to blonde with the help of this product. I recommend performing a strand test so that if it doesn't work at all, you can return it (check the store's return policy for used items).

on 4/3/2013 7:25:00 PM

PLEASE READ THIS :

First off, let me let people know, i am a honest reviewer.

This stuff works. It really does.

Ive been dying my blonde hair JET GOTH BLACK for years... this week i wanted to go red. i just got tired of the black.

after doing lots of review readings, i went and got loreal excellence hicolor red for dark hair, thinking "ok so i have dark hair right now itl cover over it" WRONG! it didnt take any red at all-- remained jet black. just as i figured, this stuff only works on natural hair colors, and my dyed black didnt take. still wanting red, i came to the conlusion its either BLEACHING IT or STRIPPING IT-- both of which are priced very $$$$$ at salons... went to sallys, and told the lady i wasnt comforatable doing bleach as i dont want to fry my hair to bits, she showed me this stuff.

first night, opened the kit. got a glass mixing bowl, meaasured half of the #1 bottle and half of #2 bottle, mixed. started applying all over my scalp first. (should of done that last) TO THE PEOPLE WHO READ THE REVIEWS ABOUT THIS HORRID SMELL.... IT IS NOT BAD AT ALL. PEOPLE ARE DRAMATIC. YEAH IT HAS A SULFER SMELL. IT HAS SUFER INGRIEDS. BUT HONESTLY WHAT HAIR PRODUCT DYE SMELLS PLEASENT? I HAD EXCEPTED SOME DEALTHY SMELL AFTER READING ALL THE REVIEWDS PRIOR TO USING IT, AND ONCE IT WAS ON MY HAIR, I WAS LIKE "THIS IS IT? THIS ISNT AS BAD AS WHAT REVIEWS SAID" soo.... dont be afraid of the smell. put a cap on, did a few heat blowing, waited a HOUR, then risned it with shampoo, water, conditioner, shampoo, water constantly risning. avoided the #3 bottle from everyone saying skip it...came out and was shocked--- from my scalp to my ears length, my hair was blonde/orange/red. WOW SO MUCH BLACK GONE. next morning when it was all dry, the lower ends still dark. got a 2nd box, did it a second night, making sure to focus on getting all my lengthy hair covered, same as first night amount of time. its srtill wet as i write this, i see that blonde/red/orange hint in the lengthy pieces.

people need to realize, this does as its advertised. it takes color pigments out-- what you get underneath may not be pretty- but hey, what do you accept after dying your hair? just put a new dye job over it-- like i will be doing next week after allowing healing time. btw- my hair wasnt damaged. not even dry at all-- doesnt damage,

on 9/22/2012 3:41:00 AM

Had layers of color in my hair, bleach blonde, then semi perm med brown then last month I tried loreal's hicolor hilights in Magenta, it didn't lift my ends enough, tried it 3 more times using a 40 developer, nothing, the last time it even darkened! In an effort to even it out ( I want that in your face vibrant color) I decided to try this. It worked better than I expected, it lifted my hair to almost blonde, in between a light brown to dark blonde, but VERY brassy and the ends are just a SMIDGE darker but not too bad. I'm very happy with this product. Yes, the smell is bad but not completely unbearable. It did dry out my hair a little as I have naturally curly hair, but it doesn't feel permanent. Now, all I got to do is figure out the coloring process!! Wish me luck!

I'm a natural blonde. Like ... a dirty ash blonde is my natural color. I got really sick of it one day. So I decide to dye my hair red. I used Revlon Burgundy 48 and later on Revlon Deep Burgundy 34, and switched between the two. I notice one day that both these colors while pretty, had more of a brown base to them. So! I'm looking online and see a review of Garnier's R3 Light Intense Auburn. Dazzled, I run out and buy two box dyes of this. Put it in my hair. WOW! Beautiful. Very pretty red color, very very red, but not too much like " in your face" red. Not like a Candy Apple Red, just a vibrant red! I'm liking this, and later on I decided to put black in my hair in the underneath part. It looked cool, and I will say this, I got more compliments on my hair any other time in my life than when my hair were these colors. Most people just said the red was awesome, but there were a few who noticed the black too. Anyway.. So I decided one day that even though I love the red and black in my hair ( emotional attachment lol), that I need to go back to blonde. You know, come back down to earth. I'll say this though, it was a month before I could really allow myself to say goodbye to the red and black. Anyway! I look up on the net how to change hair color as drastic as mine was, and color fix popped up a lot on my search. The price wasn't bad and so I went out to Sally's and got two boxes. Get back and take a few last pictures with my hair and then put the stuff on my hair. The stuff doesn't smell too bad, as I recall there are two bottles you have to mix in, the bottle with the clear mixture is the one that smells like bad eggs. The bottle with the white mixture doesn't smell bad. I think they purposely made the white mixture smell good so it equals out the clear mixture. Anyway so this stuff is on my hair, and I put a shower cap on and sit with it and watch TV for a while. About twenty minutes later I look at it, and the red is like a light copper color. I was impressed! But the black wasn't doing too much lol. So I rinse is out after like an hour. My hair is light copper on the top now, and dark brown on the bottom. Also I heard using the third step application could take it back to the color your hair was before so, I just forgot about that step. NOW! Let me tell you this! The lady at Sally's sucked me into buying Wella light blonde hair color, I put this stuff on my hair .. with a 40 developer, and it hurts really bad! :[ like burns! So I take it out ... well needless to say it didn't do much since it was on for like 5 minutes. The light copper stayed the same, BUT the dark brown ... as soon as that hair dye touched the dark brown it was back to black in seconds! I kidd you not! So I take the second box and put it my on again black hair . Doesn't really do much. The rest of the story is that I went and got Clairols Born Blonde Maxi and fixed it that way. Took my hair to medium brown, and I dyed the rest with Clairols Dark Medium Ash Blonde, and used three deep conditioners!
Basically, this stuff is good on hair that is red or maybe a medium brown and any lighter. If you have dyed black hair and want to use this, I would say go get a bleaching kit or go to a pro to get it lifted.

on 6/17/2012 4:57:00 PM

I am actually getting ready to use this again. I thought I was buying my usual color, but I actually bought one shade darker. Oopps. lol

People, you are using CHEMICALS. It's not going to smell like roses. And yes, I find the smell does tend to linger in my hair for a couple of days. But I find this true of HAIR DYE as well. Or for that matter, any hair chemicals such as perms, etc.

I have used this several time over the years. I will just be giving my insights and tips.

I have naturally red hair and it has removed all manner of dye of from my hair. But you need to understand how dye works in the first place so you have realistic expectations of this product. Dye works by essentially bleaching out your natural pigment to deposit the color molecules. So when you remove the dye, you are left with lighter, brassy hair. That's not because the product is horrible. It's because your hair has ALREADY been bleached to varying degrees.

Depending on the condition of my hair to begin with, I will either wait a couple of days before re-dying my hair. Either using a semi-permanent or permanent. If I am not sure what I want to do with my hair or if I don't want to dye it again, I will get a semi-permanent such as Clariol Natural Instincts in a ash or cool blonde color and this will tone down the brassiness. Ash/cool shades neutralize the gold tones in your hair.

I always use a clarifying shampoo at the point it tells you to shampoo AND after I am done with the whole process. It seems like an oxymoron, but I am a bit paranoid about leaving these chemicals in my hair. I don't know if it makes that much of a difference, but *I* feel better. lol

I also deep condition the heck out of my hair afterwards. I have only noticed this drying out my hair horribly when my hair is already in bad condition - like if I've been dying my hair a lot or using a lot of heat tools on it.

I think there has only been one time where I haven't gotten the results I wanted with this. And I'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere along the process. I don't think this is as harsh as completely bleaching your hair, but it definitely can do a number on your hair depending on it's condition starting out. I have found that if my hair is in really good condition, it just dries it out a bit. Nothing that a deep treatment/conditioner can't help with it. However, if your hair is severely damaged, I would go to a salon rather than use this. Hopefully this review will help someone out there.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

OKAY, following everyone's reviews I managed to completely f my hair up. So here are a few misconceptions i feel the need to clear up.

Number one, this does not smell as god awful as everyone claims. Does hair altering product ever smell good? No. This is no exception, but bad enough to cut all your hair off because you can't get rid of the smell? Okay, drama queens...

Number two, being that my hair is pretty thick and that I wanted it to be restored from a jet black to my normal dark brown, I left it in for an hour. I don't know why I so blindly believed in the previous reviews when they said leaving it in past the amount suggested wouldn't have horrendous consequences because it did. This is where I went wrong. My tips and roots are orange. Now, my understanding was that this restores your hair to your natural color but it just lightens it from the color you already have.

Other than the color disaster, no complaints. Doesn't damage your hair and smell is bearable. Too bad the color fixing is the most important part....

on 5/28/2012 4:11:00 PM

I just finished using this over the weekend, and I am happy with the results! I am a natural medium brown, but for the last 5 or 6 years, have been dyeing to a rich brown, or sometimes a dark ash brown, or even a dark neutral brown. I primarily used colorsilk, but have also done the garnier brass free medium brown (semi perm).

I left it on for 45 minutes, then rinsed for about 15 minutes. Shampooed 2x with neutrogena anti residue (the clear rectangular bottle), and rinsed that for another 10 minutes. I followed up with a porosity/protein filler and a deep conditioner, which I left on for 20 minutes. Then I rinsed for another 10 minutes (I know!). I put in some infusium after the final rinse.

I did this 2x on 2 separate days, I needed 2 treatments because my hair went back to dark in spots. It is now a sort of auburn brown color, close to my natural but slightly more reddish.

I think the key to success here is the shampoo/rinse routine. It is crucial to get ALL of the dye molecules out or else they re-oxidize and turn dark.

I also saw emerge, the highlights I had done, but dyed over a few years back! It will not remove bleach! And, it really works best if you have gone darker than your original color and just want to lighten it.If you have bule or pink or purple streaks done to your hair, you might get a funky result.

The final step 3 is just to show you where you have missed-kind of like those pink tablets you used to chew in the dentists office after brushing to show where you missed. It ismeant to be helpful and to save you from putting dye over an unfinished job and ending up dissapointed!!

on 5/15/2012 2:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Good stuff. Have used it a few times with good results. The first time I used it, I was going from red (semi-permanent) back to blonde and it made my hair a light pinkish blonde, which I actually loved.. The 2nd time I was going from dyed black back to blonde and my hair turned a medium brassy blonde. Fairly close to my natural color but more orange. It is damaging, but much less so than bleaching your hair repeatedly. If you have realistic expectations, you should be fine. TIP: Skip the last step. It's pointless and will actually only re-darken your hair.
I should also add that you will more than likely have to DYE YOUR HAIR AFTER to get it to a good color. This will strip your dye out, but probably turn it very brassy/orangey. THIS PRODUCT IS MADE TO RESTORE YOUR HAIR TO A DYE-ABLE STATE. So you use this, then you can dye your hair whatever color you want.