CHANEL Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
CHANEL Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.7

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Nice, smooth foundation that gives full coverage (I only use one pump per application). However I have a few gripes: it is almost too heavy coverage for my liking and does give you a made-up look (which some people like). I have ordered a foundation brush so am hoping this will give lighter coverage. It does not control oil as much as i'd like and i am pretty shiny after a few hours. I'd hate to wear this stuff in the summer, i just cant see that working, but its ok for the winter months.

on 2/2/2010 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Ever since Iíve noticed that my Diorskin Fluide is almost finished and since it is unfortunately discontinued, I began a quest for a new foundation. My skin is oily and, while I do not have heavy acne and I am not breakout prone, I can count on one acne per week. My pores are also very expanded. In spite of this I am not a fan of full and medium coverage foundations. What I require from the foundation is minimal coverage Ė the foundation simply needs to even-out my skin tone, cover slight discolourations and minimize the appearance of the pores. My MAC shade would be NC-20.
Iíve never been really a fan of Chanel foundations, mainly because I could never get a proper match Ė all shades available in my country seemed too dark. The SA gave me a very generous sample which lasted me for two weeks. I got the sample in colour 20, which is the lightest one available here (it sems to me that the shades of Mat Lumiere are slightly lighter than the corresponding shades in other Chanel foundations). The shade is a bit too dark, but right now Iím at the point where Iíd buy a shade that doesnít match me well, as long as the foundation fills my other requests.
The foundation is very creamy and goes on very smooth. It is very lightweight (it doesnít feel heavy on the face), but the coverage is medium and it is possible to build up to fuller coverage. I diluted it with a moisturizer to get lighter coverage. The finish is matte, but it looks very natural. I didnít find it especially mattifying in the terms of oil-control, so if you are very oily, donít expect it to mattify. It didnít break me out.
It has SPF 15. It comes in a 30ml pump-bottle.
What really made me not want to repurchase this product is the fact that it showed every dry patch, every flake of dry skin on my face. I tried to mix it with a moisturizer, I tried to use various kinds of moisturizer before, I even put Nivea crŤme before it, I tried it with Clarins instant Smooth primer, but nothing helped.
I donít think I will purchase it.
UPDATE: I've figured out how to apply this foundation so that it doesn't emphasize dry patches. You have to stipple it into the previously moisturized skin. I used Sephora Professional Mineral Powder Brush #45 and the result was flawless skin. So I'm updating the grade from 4 to 5.

on 2/1/2010 2:02:00 AM

This has to be one of the most overrated products out there. First of all the shades are very yellow, even the lightest shade makes me look like a Simpson's character. The coverage is light/medium and the finish is a luminous mat. It has a very lovely smell and beautiful packaging but unfortunately does not live up to the hype. The foundation is very thick and doesn't apply on smoothly. The best thing I can recommend for this foundation is using a very small amount to avoid it looking like a mask. You will not get the best coverage but the finish is nice and you will get a more natural look. To be fair this is foundation that looks like foundation on the skin. If you want a foundation that looks natural but with coverage try the Clinique Even Better.

on 1/26/2010 3:19:00 PM

this foundation has a lot of pros and cons. i have to admit i was drawn to the brand name, but once i used it it applied very roughly and it did not last. i prefer dior forever, it lasts forever, there are more colours and its still got the inner glow that people tend to buy mat lumiere for.
this foundation has a light smell, which i find quite pleasant but could bother some people.

Eyes: Violet

Im only 17 but have the ugliest skin possible lots of past acne scarring but no more zits(thanks to accutane) and i finally got to buy this even though it is so flippin expensive! It does not take alot to cover all the ugly dark marks i've got. And 20 min. after i have put it on it settles into my skin in a VERY VERY GOOD way :D it does not look like makeup but is still perfectly covering. This guy that never ever used to talk to me told me the other day that I had amazing skin!!!! I will always buy this but i am probably always going to be broke:( but ITS SO SO SO WORTH IT

on 1/10/2010 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I invested in this (and an investment it is, at the price.)
It's summer where I am and this is doing a good job of maintaining coverage and reducing shine. I look like I've been gently airbrushed, especially over past acne scarring and undereye circles. I've also had almost no breakouts in 2 months of using it.

I think I'm the demographic this product was created for: I have oily skin, but at the same time, I'm seeing the start of age in my skin. There's something going on with this that keeps it from drying my skin out entirely while staving off my once-frequent breakouts.

Mad props for the highly usable packaging, a sleek pump bottle that I can use to dole out just-right pearls of this for application.

I should be madly in love, but...I wish it came in paler shades. I too am a PPP not enjoying the color match. Still, it's the best I've found where I can try it in person. Estee Lauder Double Matte gave me "old lady face", with too much coverage and tremendous dryness, and a Clarins matte foundation was so highly scented I couldn't stand it.

on 1/8/2010 4:31:00 PM

I would definitely buy this foundation again!!! I want good coverage without looking or feeling like I have a mask on. Mat Lumiere provides great coverage but does not look heavy oy cakey. As the day goes on it gives my skin a glow---let's my natural assets shine through but still provides adequate coverage.

on 12/16/2009 12:00:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought this online from Debenhams for £25 which isn't too bad, but not cheap either!

PROS:
- the packaging is lovely, and has a pump dispenser making it more hygenic and easier to use.
- has SPF 15 which is a bonus
- gives sheer to medium coverage
- it didn't slide off my face, but i think that's more to do with my primer (Illamasqua Mat) and setting powder (Illamasqua loose powder)

CONS:
- I got the palest shade 05 - Faience, but this shade is way too yellow for my skin, I'm talking The Simpsons yellow. For reference I'm NW10.
- when applied for a sheer application it's fine, but when built up for medium finish it looks patchy and obvious on the skin.
- it has a semi matte finish, which i didn't like.
- difficult to blend. I couldn't apply it with a 187 and get it to look remotely good. Best application was with a regular foundation brush (MAC 190) or with fingers.
- too expensive for a very mediocre foundation.
- oxidised on my skin. it started out too yellow but not too dark, by the end of the day i was dark and orange.

I would give it 1 star, but i think if you were able to find a good colour match and didn't need too much coverage this might work.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I was so excited when I received this foundation from Nordstroms. It looked incredibly promising in the bottle. It was so luxurious and the color seemed perfect for my pale, porcelain pink skin. Just finding a color match is not easy when you are as pale as me with pink undertones. I was elated when I squeezed out that first pump full and detected no stinky perfume or fragrance of any kind. I can't wear most French cosmetics because of the way they heavily scent everything, however that's where the love affair ended.

I put on some of Illamasqua's Mat primer (best I've ever found for super oily skin like mine) and spread this onto my skin only to find it dewy and even a bit greasy. It took all the matte away from the primer and made my face feel oily (wasn't expecting that). This did not feel like a matte foundation at all. Not only that, but to my horror and dismay, it covered absolutely nothing! Everything showed through this! Every possible flaw (either I have the worst skin on earth or people who think they have troubled skin don't know what flaws really are). If this makes you look flawless, you must have pretty decent skin.

My biggest obsession is foundation and when I say I have tried probably 90% of them out there, I am not exaggerating. This offers some of the worst coverage I have ever seen and again, I've seen plenty. This felt and acted like a luxurious, over priced, tinted moisturizer. If you have near perfect skin and just need something to even things out, you will probably love this. I had to wash it off as it covered nothing and felt really greasy. I had to redo everything again (not happy and short on time too). I washed my face and reapplied Illamasqua's Mat primer. I then smoothed on a pea sized amount of my ever faithful and reliable Maximum Coverage Foundation from Estee Lauder and magically I got flawless looking skin again in a few seconds (this stuff covers anything you can throw at it quickly and with no special methods needed). I should have known better than to stray because I always end up going back to EL. Its just that EL's is a bit too gold and too dark, so I need to counter it with a lighter powder. I guess that's the trade off for having the illusion of flawless skin. I thought I would try a lighter foundation that looked more natural and I could just use a little concealer for bad spots, but with this I would be applying concealer everywhere! Not worth it.

on 12/4/2009 5:20:00 AM

I had been recommended to buy this product by a friend whose skin always looked amazing. although it says the finish is matte, it did not appear that way when i put it on. I would say it was more of a luminous finish. it had a very yellow undertone which looks unnatural on me so would definitely not buy again. the packaging is lovely though...