CHANEL Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
CHANEL Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.7

on 1/14/2012 6:41:00 AM

Pros:

- Really is 'my skin but better'. You can't tell you're wearing anything on your skin.
- Smells divine.
- Ease of application. Works just as well with fingers as a brush
- Doesn't go oily
- Doesn't stick to dry bits

Cons:

- Shade selection is poor
- When you put it on, it matches my colour but within an hour it oxidizes to orange. I've tried three different colours and this happens with them all.
- It clumps around the top of the nozzle so when you pump some out it can spray in the opposite direction and ruin your clothes!
- You need a few pumps to cover whole face and neck so won't last as long as you'd think.

Really wish this didn't oxidise and they'd more pale shades as it is a lovely foundation. The thing I've noticed about Chanel SAs are though that they're always trying to 'warm up' your skin colour.

Hopefully these issues are addressed in their new foundation.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I have extremely fair and oily/dry combination skin. It is hard to find a really good foundation that matches well and doesn't settle into my pores or fades after a few hours. I found that that porcelain #2 is the perfect match. I will say that it really drys matte but makes my face look flawless. In the winter my skin gets dry and flakes a bit, but then I use primer and I add some moisturizer into the mix and it goes on really smooth and still lasts all day. When I forget to wash my face it doesn't break me out so i sometimes don't have stress.

on 1/3/2012 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have had a hard time finding a foundation that looks well on me especially because I have oily skin and acne prone skin. I have just recently started going to a dermatologist for acne and since I've started using the treatments my skin has begun to dry out, so it has been extemely difficult to find a foundation.Before I was on treatment I tried the Vitalumiere it worked out great in the beginning but as time went on it started to turn orange,,it also did not have enough coverage for my acne scars and made my skin even more oily then before so I returned it. I then tried the Make Up Forever HD foundation I tried it once and looked good but I had just started treatment but I felt that this foundation sunk into the creases of my skin it just did not look right. There are pros and cons to this product. Although it states that it is a light to medium coverage, I feel that it more light than medium coverage. When too many layers are applied it can appear orange. It can also make face appear dry when first applied, it also is very matte. But it does not stay matte throughout the whole day. Overall it a good foundation,and it does make me break out. I will re review this product again once I stop using the treatments.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Overall this is a splendid foundation. It's not as mat as the name suggests and compared to my usual mat foundation (lancome teint idole ultra) I find this relatively sheer. It does give a very pretty and healthy looking glow to the skin, feels lightweight and despite the very limited colour range I found it easy to pick a good colour match. I'd prefer a smaller bottle and a bit more coverage but I can live with creative concealer application to get the benefits of the pretty finish this foundation gives. It is expensive but I do think you get what you pay for and used with a decent powder you can obtain a fairly flawless look with this.

I went to Macy's specially to shop for a foundation and I had in mind this one so decided to go straight to the CHANEL counter. The lady there matched me perfectly, which is something that I loved cause 90% of the time they miss match me. Anyway, when I got to the mall she applied Mat Lumiere and set it with CHANEL powder and it looked flawless! It did not looked natural on me but still looked very pretty so I didn't care I told her I'd take it... Just my luck she didn't have my color and gave me a sample which I happily took. Today I have it on and I'm not sure it looks the same as when the lady applied it but maybe because I used MAC studio fix to set it? But still it looks better than my MAC foundation the one i was using before CHANEL. Im going to have to buy the powder and the foundation if I want it to look the same, I will cause its worth it.

on 8/22/2011 3:18:00 PM

I truly believe you get what you pay for with foundation - of course, there are a few exceptions. When I tried this in the department store I was so glad I'd found the right coverage/wear/consistency for my pale skin - finally.
The effect is truly luminous - it's like touche eclat for your whole face (without looking silly) as well as the matte finish I wanted as I can shine a lot.
I find it's much better to apply this with a foundation brush rather than fingers/sponge as you don't need a whole lot of it to get a really good result. The brush will help thin it out and spread it equally over the whole of your face for a natural but polished product.
I will give a slight word of caution about the pump - if it blocks up, it will projectile squirt, as my cream carpet will testify. Make sure to angle the pumphead downward onto the back of your hand to make sure it doesn't wander off!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

EDIT: I absolutely love this foundation so I am changing my review from 4 lippies to 5. I love the way this applies and I get a ton of compliments. I can wear this without any major breakouts/pore clogging issues if I am careful about proper removal (MAC Cleanse Off Oil is excellent. I am so glad I discovered it!). The only thing I would like is more staying power, but I can fix this with powder or primer. I am going to keep repurchasing this until I find something better, which I don't think will be soon!

ORIGINAL REVIEW: This foundation has a gorgeous satiny finish that lasts me an 8-10 hour day. I didn't need a primer or powder. It goes on silky smooth and feels amazing. I would have loved this and repurchased this for the rest of my life, even though I consider it super expensive, if it just didn't clog my pores. I would even accept some minor clogging, but this gave me blackheads in places I've never had blackheads my entire life (ie, forehead) and near-teenage level breakouts in some areas. I remove my makeup really well, exfoliate regularly, and am in love with my Clarisonic, so I don't even want to know what this would do to someone who was doing less than me in terms of skincare. This is a shame because I really loved the way this foundation looked and lasted, and the color match was great (20 Clair for a MAC NW20). continued >>

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

This is a good foundation. Not a great foundation.

I first tried Vitalumiere Aqua at the suggestion of the SA. She was very insistent that it would hold up to my oily skin. Nope. It was a beautiful foundation, but simply couldn't cope with the onlsaught of oil manufactured by my sebacious glands. She's not the first to underestimate my glands.

So I went back to try the Mat Lumiere.

It blends well, covers well, and keeps my skin oil free for about....3 hours, which is as good as I ever expect from any foundation. I will say that when I did have some oil breakthrough, it was minimal.

However...it is not better than the Almay TLC that I've been using recently. In fact, I think the Almay is superior. It keeps me matte longer, have lighter coverage so looks more natural, camouflages pores better (I had a hard time getting covering them with the Mat Lumiere) and gives me a better color match. And I don't think I need to mention the price difference.

So, in summary, this is an adequate product that does what it claims. But for the price, I expect something outstanding. This just wasn't outstanding. I'll stick with my $13 Almay TLC.

FOOTNOTE: I forgot to mention that with both Aqua and Mat Lumiere, the color changed dramatically after application. I thought, with the first sample, it was simply too dark. But with the second, which was actually lighter than my skin tone, it also turned very dark and orangey. I don't know if it's the oil in my skin or if it's some defect of the makeup. Whichever the case, it's clear to me that the much adored Chanel foundations do not work for me.

on 8/11/2011 10:53:00 AM

I tried a sample of this the other day, and I was really surprised with how unimpressed I was with this foundation. The color match wasn't that good - Porcelain was too light and pink, and Ivory was too dark and yellow (I'm NW15). But regardless I gave Porcelain a shot for a couple days. This did nothing to cover the redness on my cheeks, even after I layered it like 5 times. I also tried using a 187 stippling brush, and still no luck. It also didn't cover the acne scars on my chin. One good thing about it was that it controlled my oil production. I didn't have to blot all day. BUT as a result, after 2 days, it dried my skin out and now it's all flaky. Yuck. There was a slight luminosity to it, but it wasn't nearly as nice as my NARS Sheer Glow, which has a much smoother coverage (imho)...and for $55 some odd dollars for a foundation (and CHANEL nonetheless), I would have expected more. Glad I only tried a sample.

on 8/7/2011 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This foundation is great for the summer when my skin decided to look like an oil slick. This got my oil under control along with breakouts in a little over a week. I highly recommend this for summer. I do recommend putting a moisturizer on right before application. I will definitely be buying this again!