CHANEL Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
CHANEL Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.7

on 3/4/2009 6:06:00 AM

i came across this product when i was browsing for a liq foundation.. first few hours of application was pretty fine.. but at the end of the day, my face feels oily and uncomfortable. i realise it clogs my pores too. so i stop using it and am now using it as a concealor for my eyebag..

on 3/2/2009 8:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I should have paid attention to the reviews. This looked excellent for the first hour. Then, my face became oiler--probably due to the drying agents in this. My blotting paper was saturated with oil within 3 hours & there was makeup residue on the blotting paper, which has never happened with shiseido liquid or muf powder even. By the end of the day (8 hrs at work), my nose was shiny with no makeup left, my face was shiny with random patches of dry areas of makeup (similar to EL doublewear makeup). This is also difficult to wash off, then my skin was dry and irritated. For almost 60 bucks, I need a much higher performer. This is gong back. Oily girls beware. clair 20 was a perfect match, though.

I was recommended this foundation by the SA at Chanel because of my oily/combination skin, and I loved the warm, natural colour and beautiful coverage it gave my face when first applied; however, it really doesn't stay matte at all :( After a relatively short time wearing it my nose and t-zone is absolutely shining and I find myself having to constantly powder throughout the day, more so than with with any other foundation I've ever used. Also, like some other reviewers have said, it is very easily transferrable and I feel like it gets all over anything that comes remotely near my face, especially in summer. It sucks because I absolutely love how it looks when I've first put it on! So this may be a great foundation with those lucky enough to have a more balanced complexion than mine, but not for oily people like me :)

Great - if you are in your twenties. My 42 year old skin is combination - normal with an oily t-zone, dehydrated cheeks and open pores in the nose and chin area. Mat Lumiere accentuated my wrinkles, dehyrdration and open pores. In other words - it aged me! I think this could partly be due to an incorrect color.

This would be a wonderful product for young, moist skin, but it didn't work for my glycolic peeled, "mature" skin. The overall finish is mat and smooth, but it stuck to any dry patches (ones I didn't even know I had) and made my skin feel dry and uncomfortable. I only got a sample, and the colour match wasn't quite right, so I can't comment on that, (or the packaging), but the finish wasn't for me. Too mask like and dry for older skin - I want something slightly moister-looking (dewy) and creamier. However, the staying power seemed good and like I said, would be beautiful on younger or oilier skin!

I love foundations that promise a matte look with very good staying power, yet does not look like a clay mask. This is exactly what I wanted EL Double Wear to be, but wasn't. DW coverage was so heavy, and believe me, I like full-coverage foundations but it was just too much!! So Mat Lumiere replaced it, and I couldn't be happier!! Mat Lumiere has the same mattifying and staying properties, but the coverage is lighter yet still has medium coverage. It also didn't immediately dry up and stick to my skin like Double Wear did. The only complaint, such as with most matte foundations, is that is emphasizes my flaky skin!! You must moisturize and prime before using this. And I have very oily skin. But, with the effort, this comes out looking beautiful.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I was surprised by this, although if I'd read the reviews before I tried it I wouldn't have been. This was a tester the SA made up for me in shade Clair. The shade was too dark, but might work in the summer. But, I expected this to dry to a matte, non-transferable finish. It didn't. Everytime I touched my face some of it came off onto my fingers. It went on smoothly and looked nice and even, covered redness well, but after a few hours of having it on my skin looked rough and uneven. The color actually seemed to lighten while it was on, which is opposite of my normal problem - everything turns darker or orange on me very easily. Overall, for someone drier this might be a good foundation, but I need something not as...moist.

on 12/9/2008 3:58:00 PM

I got a sample of this from a local Chanel counter (the manager likes to "help" me get myself into trouble, I think). She gave me a small sample jar of this in the Porcelaine shade (NC15). The jar lasted about 2.5 weeks (and this was a small, cute jar!).

Coverage: Great! No complaints! Tones down the natural redness I have on my cheeks without leaving the rest of my face looking like plastic or completely filling my pores in the way that other liquid foundations do. I used my 187 to apply.

Packaging: Glass bottle, pump dispenser (unless you have a sample jar). Nice. Although, to protect the product from degrading, maybe a black bottle would've been a better idea?

Reaction: No breakouts for me (other than the usual hormonal thing, post-pregnancy). I do wear this with MAC P+P 50 SPF, and that probably helps with the lasting power. I've used Maybelline loose powder or BE Mineral Veil to set - both finished beautifully. I have classic combo skin - oily T-Zone with dryness on my cheeks - only once has this foundation "melted" on my nose.

Ending thought: get a sample. Try it. I used my sample up, and really liked my results. To save money, I bought my fullsize from a trust seller on eBay - it should last me a year, probably ;p

**Edited to add: I think this shade is a wee bit pink for me. I'm not sure because it does depend on the lighting. I hope it's not, but I'm noticing it more and more. Hmm...

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've waited a while to review this after my disasterous experience with Pro Lumiere. Mat Lumiere is so much better for me.
It's matte but not flat, lifeless matte. It has a touch of a glow to it that keeps it from looking awful. The staying power seriously blew me away. My first proper test of it was at a gig in a very hot, sweaty, packed club. My former love, MAC Studio Fix Fluid, would have been somewhere around my ankles by the end of the second bands' set (no joke, it was so hot sweat was dripping from my chin!). Mat Lumiere? It stayed put. Even more impressive was that I didn't look like a shiny, sweaty mess, just a little dewy but in a good way. By the end of the night my make-up was still completely intact which never happens to me.
True, I can get a little oily in the t-zone but I've yet to find a foundation that this doesn't happen with. The upside is that it's more of a dewy look and minimal touch-ups with blotting sheets & powder keep me looking fresh.
Also looks amazing on pictures. No ghostly white effect just nice looking skin.
The packaging is fantastic. Great pump that enables you to pump out a tiny amount or enough to do your whole face.
The only downside for me is that I have to order online as they don't sell the Porcelain shade at the counters here in the UK & that happens to be my shade. The lightest available here is just too dark for me.
Depending on how much time I have, I either apply with a foundation brush & buff in with my MAC 187 or I just use my Beauty Blender sponge (great finish for daytime. Excellent coverage without being OTT).
Would I repurchase? In a heartbeat! Any foundation that can stay put like this & with such a great colour match is not to be sneezed at.
EDIT 12/10/2009 : I've since discovered that I prefer Giorgio Armani's Lasting Silk foundation to this purely because it has a lighter texture & doesn't look as if I'm wearing much make-up. I've taken it down from my original 5 lippies to 3. Still a nice foundation, but not my favourite now.

on 11/24/2008 9:52:00 AM

I bought the fluid foundation. The coverage is medium-full. I usually go for the sheer foundations but i use this when i have a bad pimplish day. It has this weird berry-ish scent. NEVER let leftover foundation stay in the opening of the pump. Once it dries, you have to use a pin to unclog it. What a hassle... But, overall it's okay.