L'Oreal Paris Telescopic Mascara - Carbon Black

L'Oreal Paris Telescopic Mascara - Carbon Black

3.8

on 10/1/2008 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

stunned! stunned is the only word i can come up with to describe my feelings on this mascara! i just bought it today and have only used it once (on naked, curled lashes), so my feelings could definitely change, but for now i absolutely ADORE it! and i don't usually like to review a mascara until i've used it for about a week, but i am so ecstatic about the results i got from Telescopic CB that i had to do it! first of all, not that it matters, but the packaging is adorable. the telescope-inspired shape is thinner than a regular mascara wand and i found it very easy and comfortable to use. the formula of this mascara is an anomaly to me; usually a wet formula zaps the curl right out of my lashes but this one, while being fairly wet, held them up so high it was almost like lash hairspray! and curl-holdability is probably the #1 most important aspect in a mascara to me. i take *a lot* of time to meticulously curl my lashes so they stand straight up and unless the mascara i'm using can help hold them, it gets tossed. i actually think that this is the best mascara i have EVER tried for holding a curl from my Shiseido lash curler! i actually keep running into the bathroom just to look at my lashes and how long, black, glossy and curled they are! but anyways, back to the formula. it is extraordinarily black, which i love, because i think when it comes to mascaras, the blacker the better. the only mascara i have ever seen that compares in color is DiorShow Blackout which is so wet and heavy that i can't believe anyone can use it! when it comes to application, this mascara is definitely NOT the kind you can just slap on and go. it takes time and effort to get the ideal results, but the final look is so stunning it's well worth it! if you are the type of person who likes to quickly brush on a coat of mascara and run out the door, i wouldn't recommend Telescopic for you, because this is the kind of mascara that takes some skill to apply. i firmly believe that for people with lashes like mine (medium length, medium thickness), a light touch is KEY. if i put a mascara brush/comb into the base of my lashline and then wiggle up and out, i deposit sooooo much mascara near the roots of my lashes that they immediately fall straight down and look like crap. what works for me, with every mascara and especially a formula like this, is to place the brush/comb near my roots and gently sweep straight up, and then repeat until i get the results i like. no wiggling or rotating necessary! if you have thick, long lashes then i'm sure wigging is a great technique, but for those of us not blessed with natural Bambi lashes, it does more harm than good imo. i've also found that using only one set of the teeth on this mascara comb to apply the mascara helps to prevent mascara-overload, although it's quite difficult to make sure you're only using one of the four sides of the comb, it makes a gigantic difference in the outcome. since the formula of Telescopic CB is fairly wet, it can fuse together a few lashes if you're rushing, but this can be quickly and easily solved with a clean spoolie or metal lash comb. i got no actual clumps whatsoever with this. it gave me medium volume (definitely NOT a high volume, super thick mascara), extreme length (longest my lashes have EVER looked!), and deep black, beautiful glossy color. i am in love! it seems too good to be true! i hope it's not one of those mascaras that works for the first 3 applications and then goes straight to sh*t! i will update with further feelings after using it for a week or so. **UPDATE** i am still loving this mascara, although i want to stress that it's a mascara you need to take your time with and learn how to apply so you can get the amazing results it can give! i also purchased the Clean Definition version of Telescopic, and it gives almost the same gorgeous results (slighty less length) that the regular version does while being much, much easier to use because the brush is slighty different. for those of you who don't want to take as much time to carefully apply a mascara, go for the Clean Definition, you'll adore it and it'll be easier. as for me, i'm glad i have both formulas because i ADORE them both! i actually love the beautiful, dramatic results i get from this mascara SO MUCH that i would gladly pay high-end, DiorShow/Faux Cils prices for it were it to suddenly become expensive. not kidding either, it's THAT good! try one of the versions of this mascara ASAP if you want long, curled, splayed out lashes that are dramatically dark and straight out of a mascara commercial! **UPDATE** so i switched the brushes today, taking the brush from Telescopic Clean Definition (you can read my review for that if you like), washing it thoroughly to remove the mascara and then putting it into the tube of regular Carbon Black Telescopic, and the results were PERFECTION! just as i suspected, the only reason Telescopic CB is so hard to apply correctly is because the brush doesn't do enough lash separating and ends up applying too much product to the lashes and fusing them together. with the Clean Definition brush, which has finer, more abundant bristles, i got the PERFECT application without the stress of going super, super slowy and being crazily careful! now if i was someone just reading this review, i would probably avoid all this complicated mumbo jumbo and just buy the Telescopic Clean Definition in Very Black or Carbon Black (if they make it), but personally, i prefer the formula of Telescopic Carbon Black over the formula of Clean Definition. if you're nuts like me, buy both and switch the brushes! HTHS! **UPDATE** 11/28/08 still using and LOVING this, i absolutely have not even touched another mascara since i switched the brushes around on this mascara, and that is unheard of for me! my everyday go-to mascara for long, fluttery, gorgeous lashes. a definite rebuy for me, my new HG!

on 10/1/2008 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

(this review is for the Carbon Black version)
stunned! stunned is the only word i can come up with to describe my feelings on this mascara! i just bought it today and have only used it once (on naked, curled lashes), so my feelings could definitely change, but for now i absolutely ADORE it! and i don't usually like to review a mascara until i've used it for about a week, but i am so ecstatic about the results i got from Telescopic CB that i had to do it! first of all, not that it matters, but the packaging is adorable. the telescope-inspired shape is thinner than a regular mascara wand and i found it very easy and comfortable to use. the formula of this mascara is an anomaly to me; usually a wet formula zaps the curl right out of my lashes but this one, while being fairly wet, held them up so high it was almost like lash hairspray! and curl-holdability is probably the #1 most important aspect in a mascara to me. i take *a lot* of time to meticulously curl my lashes so they stand straight up and unless the mascara i'm using can help hold them, it gets tossed. i actually think that this is the best mascara i have EVER tried for holding a curl from my Shiseido lash curler! i actually keep running into the bathroom just to look at my lashes and how long, black, glossy and curled they are! but anyways, back to the formula. it is extraordinarily black, which i love, because i think when it comes to mascaras, the blacker the better. the only mascara i have ever seen that compares in color is DiorShow Blackout which is so wet and heavy that i can't believe anyone can use it! when it comes to application, this mascara is definitely NOT the kind you can just slap on and go. it takes time and effort to get the ideal results, but the final look is so stunning it's well worth it! if you are the type of person who likes to quickly brush on a coat of mascara and run out the door, i wouldn't recommend Telescopic for you, because this is the kind of mascara that takes some skill to apply. i firmly believe that for people with lashes like mine (medium length, medium thickness), a light touch is KEY. if i put a mascara brush/comb into the base of my lashline and then wiggle up and out, i deposit sooooo much mascara near the roots of my lashes that they immediately fall straight down and look like crap. what works for me, with every mascara and especially a formula like this, is to place the brush/comb near my roots and gently sweep straight up, and then repeat until i get the results i like. no wiggling or rotating necessary! if you have thick, long lashes then i'm sure wigging is a great technique, but for those of us not blessed with natural Bambi lashes, it does more harm than good imo. i've also found that using only one set of the teeth on this mascara comb to apply the mascara helps to prevent mascara-overload, although it's quite difficult to make sure you're only using one of the four sides of the comb, it makes a gigantic difference in the outcome. since the formula of Telescopic CB is fairly wet, it can fuse together a few lashes if you're rushing, but this can be quickly and easily solved with a clean spoolie or metal lash comb. i got no actual clumps whatsoever with this. it gave me medium volume (definitely NOT a high volume, super thick mascara), extreme length (longest my lashes have EVER looked!), and deep black, beautiful glossy color. i am in love! it seems too good to be true! i hope it's not one of those mascaras that works for the first 3 applications and then goes straight to sh*t! i will update with further feelings after using it for a week or so. **UPDATE** i am still loving this mascara, although i want to stress that it's a mascara you need to take your time with and learn how to apply so you can get the amazing results it can give! i also purchased the Clean Definition version of Telescopic, and it gives almost the same gorgeous results (slighty less length) that the regular version does while being much, much easier to use because the brush is slighty different. for those of you who don't want to take as much time to carefully apply a mascara, go for the Clean Definition, you'll adore it and it'll be easier. as for me, i'm glad i have both formulas because i ADORE them both! i actually love the beautiful, dramatic results i get from this mascara SO MUCH that i would gladly pay high-end, DiorShow/Faux Cils prices for it were it to suddenly become expensive. not kidding either, it's THAT good! try one of the versions of this mascara ASAP if you want long, curled, splayed out lashes that are dramatically dark and straight out of a mascara commercial! **UPDATE** so i switched the brushes today, taking the brush from Telescopic Clean Definition (you can read my review for it), washing it thoroughly to remove the mascara and then putting it into the tube of regular Carbon Black Telescopic, and the results were PERFECTION! just as i suspected, the only reason Telescopic CB is so hard to apply correctly is because the brush doesn't do enough lash separating and ends up applying too much product to the lashes and fusing them together. with the Clean Definition brush, which has finer, more abundant bristles, i got the PERFECT application without the stress of going super, super slowy and being crazily careful! now if i was someone just reading this review, i would probably avoid all this complicated mumbo jumbo and just buy the Telescopic Clean Definition in Very Black or Carbon Black (if they make it), but personally, i slightly prefer the formula of Telescopic Carbon Black over the formula of Clean Definition. if you're nuts like me, buy both and switch the brushes! HTHS! **UPDATE** 11/28/08 still using and LOVING this, i absolutely have not even touched another mascara since i switched the brushes around on this mascara, and that is unheard of for me! my everyday go-to mascara for long, fluttery, gorgeous lashes. a definite rebuy for me, my new HG!

Amazing. My new HG mascara. I like very dramatic mascara that gives me long, full, black lashes. Sadly I was born with blonde, straight, invisible lashes. Without mascara you can't tell I have any. My old HG was the red lash stiletto, which no one ever tried so it was discontinued. I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen with this mascara. I'd cry! This stuff makes my eyelashes look fake in the best kind of way. They're also not crispy, flaky, or smudgey. I just bought it and I've already been complimented twice on my eyelashes! I will never buy anything else as long as they keep making this! In the picture, my right eye (left side of the pic) is the Telescopic Carbon Black, my left is Great Lash Tiny Little Lashes. Huge difference!

Full Size Image

on 5/18/2013 6:38:00 PM

For more than 4 years I've used only Effet Faux Cils by YSL or Channel's Inimitable (mostly this one), thinking that things can't get better than this. Instead of replacing my Inimitable a week ago,I tried Telescopic instead. And realized what a fool I had been all this time.Telesopic is unimaginably better than faux cils/inimitable. And might I add-at a fair price. I've always felt guilty for spending more than 20 pounds on a mascara that lasts 3 weeks. I could buy a book or something more valuable. Anyway,I won't go into ethical considerations.
Bottom line is-Telescopic is amazing. L'Oreal has done a great job.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I just don’t understand the positive reviews. It’s like people are describing a different product altogether. For me, this is very wet and goes on the lashes in giant globs that stick all your lashes into clumps. Then it dries into hard spikes. I may as well have lit my money on fire. I would love to try the wonderful mascara other people are apparently trying in the same package.

on 10/15/2017 4:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Wow, ok I have naturally long curly dark lashes. All mascara's seem to work the same on me and don't really affect my lashes or if they do it becomes super clumped together! Iv'e owned lots of mascara's. (Lancome hypnose, lancome big monsier, too faced better than sex, makeup forever, nars, maybelline, etc.....)

But one day I saw some girl in a store with literally perfect seperated lashes so I had to ask what she used. She told me only one coat of the telescopic. I thought she probably is just lucky and has real nice lashes, but I bought this out of sheer curiosity expecting it to be the same as all the other mascara's I tried. Nothing special.

BUT BOY WAS I WRONG. This shit literally seperated each one of my lashes, and gave them an extremely beautiful dolly falsified effect! I have never seen a mascara perform like this before. So if you want perfect fake dolly looking lashes (or natural with one coat) Seriously get this now!! The price is a steal too. Forever changed my lashes!! <3333 you won't ever pry this from my dead cold hands hehe

on 10/22/2018 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

6 Skinny Lashes – I have thin lashes and the wet mascara formula combined with the comb rubber wand made it look like I had about 6 skinny eyelashes. This really didn’t work for me and I have concluded that I need a nylon bristle wand for lash separation. The little comb teeth just glued all my lashes together. I also got zero volumizing (even though I know this isn’t marketed as) although the lengthening was okay. For the price of $10.99 this just isn’t worth it for my type of lashes. I have had better luck with Essence mascaras, Maybelline Black Drama Falsies, CG Super Thick Lash or the Catrice Lashes to Kill, all of which are cheaper.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Finally a drugstore mascara that lives up to its claims! It noticeably darkens and lengthens my puny lashes quite a bit and does not irritate my sensitive eyes. The wand makes it easy and precise to use and prevents clumping. I don't wear bottom lash mascara daily, but when I do, this works. All day wear with no clumping. flaking or smearing? Yes please!

on 2/14/2017 10:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

This was my HG mascara for a long time, though I spent the past couple years loving Essence mascaras that would be discontinued shortly after I'd bought them. During the Essence phase, I kept a couple old Telescopic wands to comb through my lashes after applying mascara. I've finally given up on multiple coats and combing through with the others, to return to this mascara, my old standby. The comblike brush design gives wonderful definition, keeping my lashes separated rather than clumpy (which is not my thing at all). I forgot how easy to use this mascara was, and after fiddling around for so long, it's good to use this again!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

fav mascara ever and ive tried freaking tons of mascaras, drugstores and high end. Not sure what the difference is between the regular and carbon black but this ismy second tube that ive bought. It makes your lashes extreamly long and gorgeous!! I usually use this for a first coat to make my lashes really long and then use maybellines the rocket to make them super thick. Def my go to mascara.