SK-II Facial Treatment Essence

Facial Treatment EssenceFacial Treatment Essence

3.6

on 7/9/2016 3:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have used this product intermittently for the past decade. Every time I try the line, I really hope it makes a difference. It's an ok moisturiser, but that's it. When I do try the line, I mean the whole product line of cleanser, toner, essence, cream (LXP), eye cream, whitener, face mask, etc etc. It sets me back $1000 easily each time I give it a go. So believe me when I say I have given it a go, and that I have real regrets.

For those of you who really like pitera (known as galactomyces), there are plenty of dupes around. Tony Moly, Missha and a whole list of other companies sell this at a fraction of the price. This website comes with a few other alternatives: http://haninskin.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/all-that-galactomycessaccharomyces.html (I am NOT affiliated!)

I tell you all this, because like I have told my best friend who uses this line, if you want the active ingredient, you shouldn't have to pay this much. Seriously, Tony Moly is $22 for a 150ml bottle on Amazon. AND it is 96.5% pitera! (vs SKII at 90%)

If you like the product, great. Personally, I gave $700 worth of unused remaining products to my sister because I felt like I was splashing water on my face. Now I use a $20 moisturiser from Etude House, and toner/serum from Instanatural (which cost approx $20 each). However, if you want to stick with pitera, for the sake of your wallets, please consider the alternatives. Some of the other brands are really quite reputable.

on 1/10/2016 6:20:00 AM

So after years of procrastination, I finally committed to buying this miracle product. And I'm not sure if it was psychological, I noticed my complexion turning brighter and smoother after two weeks of use. I had a few acne in the first week but it went away in the second week. I use this right after the facial treatment clear lotion, twice a day morning and night, followed by a regular moisturiser. I do think the two SKII products complement each other.

Cost was a huge setback. So while I really enjoy this, I'll try out some of the other cheaper alternatives out there (like secret key or son & park).

on 1/3/2016 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Okay, first of all this product was one of its kind because it was the first ever product that came out wth the essence concept. However, this "pitera" skII promotes as a miracle worker is no-special ingredient and by now there's so many products in the market. A lot of Korean brands, such as Secret Key, Holika Holika, Missha even Clinique have this ingredient in its essences and they cost around 10-30$.
Anyway, I've used SKII's and Secret Key's essence and see a lot more results from the Secret Key's product as it has more elements in its product. If I had known this info before purchasing the SKII overpriced essence, I would have saved myself from the markeing scheme the lady in duty free in Hong Kong got me into.
In conclusion, I used an entire 200ml bottle in a year and saw no reults.

on 11/22/2015 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is the kind of product that drives Paula Begoun, over at Beautypedia, nuts. "No substantiated research!" that pitera, the active ingredient, is of any particular benefit to your skin, she cries. And she hates the price. And although she doesn't mention it, she rarely has anything nice to say about bottles that admit light.

But here's the thing...while the experts at Beautypedia give SK-ll's Facial Treatment Essence two stars, the site's user community gives it four and a half. So I tried it, because frankly I get bored with my skin care products sometimes and I've been hearing about this stuff for years, and opinions of the people who use a product make me curious.

On Sephora's website you can buy a single-use Facial Treatment Mask. The mask really is good, and not very, for a single use. I don't like how it's shaped, especially around the chin. But the thing that's really interesting and useful about the mask is that before you put it on, you can squeeze a terrific amount of the Essence itself into the packet and save it for later. I rolled the packet up tight and used a barrette to clip it shut.

By dipping my (freshly washed!) fingertip into the remaining liquid and dabbing it onto my face (soaking a cotton pad would be crazy overkill) I was able to get about two weeks' use out of the Essence I had left. That's enough time for a very good trial run of a product, and since the mask cost $17, it's also a cheap trial for an expensive product.

And in my opinion Paula is wrong about this one. There are a lot of benefits to reading Beautypedia. I've learned a lot about the chemistry of cosmetic products, and information like what percentage of various ingredients a product needs to be effective, and how things need to be packaged so that they won't deteriorate before you can use them. But every once in a while I think that chemistry isn't the whole story. Just because the research isn't there yet doesn't mean a product doesn't work. Make sure, by all means, that what you're about to spread on your skin isn't going to be harmful, but when there's a wildcard ingredient like pitera, you need to try it for yourself to see if it works for you.

If I didn't respect the views of actual users, I wouldn't bother to write or read reviews here on MakeupAlley. So here is my rubber-meets-the-road view of SK-ll's Facial Treatment Essence: it's worth trying. My skin likes it, and has rewarded me for using it by becoming more even-toned, which is one of the things I want my skin to be and an issue I have consistently. I think my skin looks brighter.

Your millage my vary, of course. But try the trick with the face mask if you're really curious and don't otherwise want to spend the money.

on 9/29/2015 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I purchased this lotion with high hopes due to its high end pricing. The result would have been no different than if I used tap water on my face (rolls eyes). Not a scrap of improvement whatsoever. Incredible the hype and marketing for this product, Kate Blanchett is the face of this brand and I'm sure that people buy it because of that. I gave it a try and won't be repurchasing. I'm going back to Clinique, products that work!

on 8/18/2015 6:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I don't write as many negative reviews as I do positive, mostly because I'm more enthusiastic when sharing my experiences with products I truly love and enjoy using. But I had such a weird experience with this that I had to share.

Here's a rundown on my skin: normal, slightly dry during the winter or during allergy season, not acne prone at all, and I'm religious with sunscreen (I wear it every day, rain or shine) so it's pretty even in tone and I have no wrinkles yet. It's also extremely sensitive. Make that crazy sensitive. I'm leery of ever trying new skincare because of that, but wanted to try this because I wanted a gentle, brightening, and moisturizing product to add to my current routine. My skin doesn't tolerate any type of heavy product well, so thick creams or serums are out. I heard good things about this, and a close friend uses this with great results.

For reference, here's a list of the skincare products that I use regardless of any new additions:
AM:
Revive Skincare Gel Cleanser
Rodin Olio Lusso (2 drops patted into face and neck)
Kate Somerville Oil Free Moisturizer
Radical Skincare Skin Perfecting Screen SPF30

PM:
Revive Skincare Gel Cleanser
NARS Skin Restorative Night Treatment
Kate Somerville Oil Free Moisturizer

I started using this morning at night as a first step after cleansing. I used about half a teaspoon in the palm of my hand, then patted it into my skin. I followed with my Rodin face oil, and Kate Somerville Oil Free Moisturizer. For the first few weeks I noticed a visible brightening and radiance in my skin, and my skin felt more moisturized and looked supple. Truly, I was impressed and thrilled. My bare skin had a beautiful glow that was getting noticed by other people. These results continued for about four more months, and I couldn't imagine not using it.

Then, at about the four month mark, I started getting tiny white pimples on my chin. As I said before, I'm not acne prone at all, and was shocked. I couldn't figure out what was causing this since I hadn't added new makeup or skincare to my routine at all. Being that I haven't had acne or blemishes since I was a teenager, I was so upset. It didn't go away for a couple weeks and I started to wonder if I was getting adult acne. Finally I started researching my current products more thoroughly and after reading similar experiences on MUA regarding this product, I took it out of my routine and stopped using it. Low and behold, a few days later my skin was back to normal, not a pimple in sight.

So all in all, it's strange to think that something can deliver such stellar results for a time then just pull a 180 and become awful for my skin. I'm never touching this stuff again, and I urge anyone with sensitive skin to be cautious when trying this. I haven't had such bad luck with a product in years. I ended up returning this to Nordstrom.

on 7/20/2015 12:13:00 AM

Good product but just too expensive there are lots Of good toner equally good and just one tenth of the cost

Once upon a time, this wreaked havoc on my face. Having first tried this aged 18, this did nothing but break me out and turned my combination-oily skin dry.

SK-II's FTE has got to be one of the most popular "miracle waters" around, with many other brands (notable Korean) following suit. My mum's been using SK-II products for over 10 years now, and I have a feeling this product would suit mature skin better, due to the high concentration of "pitera" in this product.

Back to my story. I tried it at 18, with a host of other SK-II products but only kept one - Repair C in my skincare regime. Fast forward 8 years later, I thought why not go back to it and see if my skin's "matured" enough to tolerate this supposedly wonderful essence almost everyone raves about?

I live in hot and humid Malaysia, which doesn't help my extremely reactive skin very much. Too much sun? I burn. Too hot? I get heat rash. After a long day out, I find applying a bit of this (a few drops on my palm, rub palms together and quickly pat onto skin helps take some heat off my face and redness is reduced.

As my skin tends to go slightly dry when using this everyday, I only use this 2-3 times a week and it works a treat! I don't have many blackheads and I do credit the FTE (and another wonderful makeup primer - RMK) for that! :p

If you have very sensitive skin like I do, please ask for a sample before purchasing a full-sized bottle as this isn't the cheapest product out there and it doesn't suit all skin types.

on 7/5/2015 3:41:00 AM

Started using this product 2 weeks ago. I personally did not see any significant changes to my skin except for a subtle glow about 4 days in. Got compliments on my skin from friends saying that my skin is glowing and in better condition. I took a closer look yesterday and compared some selfies I took from recent days with my old photos and noticed that there is a glow to my skin but apart from that, it didn't make my pores look smaller or totally got rid of my acne scars. I did not have bad skin to begin with which might explain the slight change. For the price, I don;'t know if it is worth buying it again. The results are not worth splurging on this product.

on 4/25/2015 9:09:00 PM

This does absolutely nothing for my face. I've been religiously splashing it on after every time I wash my face for the last 5 months, and it's made no difference in any skin quality whatsoever. I gave it 2 stars because it wasn't destructive, didn't do anything bad, but it didn't do anything good either. What a ripoff.

I use Retin-A about once a week and SkinActives Antioxidant Serum; I'm not sure if those two are so effective that nothing else can really make a dent, but nonetheless, I would not recommend buying this to anyone.