Paula's Choice Lip & Body Treatment Balm

Paula's Choice Lip & Body Treatment Balm
Enter TitleLip & Body Treatment BalmMy HG lip balm

4.3

Not tested on animals

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Petrolatum (emollients), Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (thickener), Lanolin, C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol Esters (emollients), Beeswax, Ozokerite, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax (thickeners), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Jojoba Esters, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil (plant emollients/oils), Bisabolol (soothing agent), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Trihydroxystearin, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (thickeners).

Bought my 2nd pot of this. This stuff is amazing for perpetually chapped lips, which I have, and since using this they have felt wonderfully smooth.

I usually exfoliate them in the shower, or while washing my face, by rubbing my finger over my lips gently to get rid of dead skin and that helps this product from building up (just a little extra tip).

I've used Aquaphor, Vaseline, Chapstick, Lipsyl, Lush lip balm, Blistex, and countless others, but this is by far superior. This product leaves your lips feeling coated and protected unlike all other treatments.

Update: Found that lightly rubbing my lips in the shower plus applying lypsyl chapstick (sold in Canadian drugstores and dollar stores) works amazingly well at keeping chapped lips at bay. I also use Aquaphor with equal success.

on 2/4/2007 12:37:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Since my vaseline was not cutting it in terms of helping w/ my dry lips in the AM during this winter season. Compared to vaseline, this is not slippery, it's a dense formulation. So I could understand why it's better applied from a pot. Can also be applied to other dry areas of the body: cuticles, elbows, knees, etc. I use this at bedtime, sometimes in AM, but so far after using this for a week, I haven't had any problems with dry lips. Only a small amount is needed. $9 for 0.5 ounces or 15 ml.

on 1/23/2007 11:35:00 PM

I've been using this on my lips and occasionally on the dry areas on my hands (knuckles and cuticles mostly) and it has softened those areas without being overly greasy. The product is free of fragrances and the packaging is simple. This is a great product at an incredible price. The amount that it comes with will probably last me well over a year. If I ever run out, I will repurchase. I only wish that this came in a tube rather than a tub.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have been using Aquaphor for 7 yrs and never thought any thing better would come along. Thanks to the reviews here, I made the purchase a month ago and still love this balm. It leaves my lips soft and conditioned without constant reapplication. I highly rec this product.

on 12/19/2006 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is by far THE BEST lip balm I have ever used! I've tried numerous high-end and drugstore brands and always found something about each that I didn't like, but this is absolutely perfect! It has amazing staying power, makes my lips soooooooo soft, and doesn't irritate the skin around my lips or cause it to break out.

I will repurchase this forever! It is money well spent. And even though it does come in a somewhat inconvenient tub, mine has lasted forever and held up perfectly being tossed around in my purse and packed on many vacations.

on 12/17/2006 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I cannot believe how much I love this stuff. I actually ordered this my mistake. I wanted to order the exfoliating treatment but must have hit the wrong button. I am so glad I did. I probably wouldn't have ordered it on my own because it does contain petroleum. But, you know what? I think that is what gives it such lasting power. But it also contains shea butter and wheat germ oil. I think all-naturals balms are great and have their place, but for pure effectivness this is what works for me. As far as packaging, I actually love the tub. I prefer that to stick lip balms.

on 12/10/2006 3:25:00 AM

This lip balm is amazing. It really, really is. My lips have been dying from a combination of cold, new england winter, a dry work environment, and general dehydration. (I work in a lab so its hard to get to drink sometimes.) It was getting pretty gnarly for a while... consistant flakes, cracks.. You get the picture. Vaseline and my favorite minty Biglow glosses were not working at all. So far this keeps my lips soft longer than anything else I've ever tried.. from aquaphor to balmy nights, to Burt's Bees, to everything under the sun. The product is hard initially, but once it's softened up, it has no problem spreading. No flavor except for the ingredients themselves, which is neutral and disappears after absorbtion. I'm not a fan of the tub though. I would prefer a stick form because I do not like digging my fingers into it. I hope that Paula's Choice does that at some point. But as is, it's the best and most consistant lip moisturizer I've ever used.

UPDATE: It has been months and months since I began using this product and I've found it to be a true staple and a hands down holy grail. I have not wanted to use any other lip moisturizer because this is the only product out of the many, many I've tried that does not chunk up, dry out, or become flakey on my lips down the line. It has lasting moisturizing properties and immediately smooths out any dryness without stickiness on my own desert like lips. The only problem was the container, which I still dislike immensely. I actually found myself using this product far less than I would because I disliked toting around that big, bulky thing. It was not pocket friendly at the least! I eventually tried Kiss My Face lip balms because I missed the tube packaging. However, it was no where near as good as the Paula's Choice. SO, I just came across a solution for this container dilemma, which I am absolutely kicking myself for not realizing before! I essentially replaced everything in the Kiss My Face balm tube (which is a great top twist-type tube), with the Paula's Choice!

To do this, first find a lip balm tube of your choice. Empty tubes can be purchased online, but I find this inconvienient as I hate waiting for things in the mail, particularly something this small. The easiest thing is to simply pick up some cheap chap stick or find a tube hanging around. Remove all the product by twisting it up, removing the waxy stick, and twisting the empty back down.

Next, melt the Paula'a Choice Lip Balm in the microwave until clear and liquid. It does not take that long nor should it be HOT. I suggest trying to do it in 10 second intervals (microwaves will vary) until just liquidy, transluscent, and pourable. It will be very much like a melted candle.

Carefully pour it into the stick type tube until just full. If you are using a normal chapstick sized .15oz/4.25g tube, you will have plenty left over as the Paula's Choice comes in a .5oz/15ml container. Enough to fill a couple of tubes, or smaller containers.

Lastly, leave upright until cool and completely solid. I put mine in the freezer for a few minutes to speed up the process. If you try to twist the tube at any point before it is fully hardened, the product will be mushy, less settled in the tube, and unevenly distributed.

Once it's fully hardened, it's ready to go! Slips into my tight jeans like a breeze and is finally accessible! Anyway, I hope this helps some people who also find the lousy container a hindrance to a great product!!

P.S. Just a thought I had directly after posting. You can probably add flavor oils to this while it is in its melted state! Then you can get flavored lip balm from this regular, unflavored/unscented if that is what you would prefer! Also, a candle warmer may also work well to melt this. I haven't tried these ideas yet, but they may be good if it works for someone else!

on 11/14/2006 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Wish I could have rated this a 10 !! This is the only, and I mean, the only product I can use on my lips! I am very allergic to the red dye in almost every lipstick. I end up with severely chapped lips and cold sores! I use this at night and my lips are fine in a day or two. Great Product !!

on 11/14/2006 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have had chronically dry lips for ages now and Vaseline just wasn't working on its own. I always found that I had to reapply lipbalm loads of times during the day. I only apply the PC balm at night because I use a sunscreen lipbalm during the day (Bioderma). Since I started using the PC balm I find that my lips are not drying up as much during the day.

on 10/27/2006 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this stuff! I use this every night before bed and somehow, my lips are still moisturized when I wake up. I'm not sure how it stays on like that, but after years of using Vaseline, I've found a new HG! And it's not tested on animals, so I can have soft lips and a clear conscience! You do have to dig a bit with your finger to get it out of the tub, but that's a minor inconvenience.