Paula's Choice Lip & Body Treatment Balm

Paula's Choice Lip & Body Treatment Balm
Enter TitleLip & Body Treatment BalmMy HG lip balm

4.3

Not tested on animals

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Petrolatum (emollients), Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (thickener), Lanolin, C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol Esters (emollients), Beeswax, Ozokerite, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax (thickeners), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Jojoba Esters, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil (plant emollients/oils), Bisabolol (soothing agent), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Trihydroxystearin, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (thickeners).

I used to be a Paula's Choice fan but some of the actions of her company lately have really annoyed me. This balm used to come in a large tub and last for ages (it was called Lip and Body Treatment Balm), and now it comes in a much smaller tub that doesn't last long, and is spuriously called Lip Recovery Balm. It is the same product but in a much smaller container, at the same cost as before. I know companies have to make money but honestly, how expensive can the ingredients be? Not very, I think. Paula herself goes on at length about how cheap cosmetics ingredients are. The product is not just a lip treatment, it's for the body as well, as it's name used to state. PC has cunningly rebadged it as a lip balm, presumably because her PR people know that it's not a good look to try to sell a body balm in such a small quantity.

In essence, I feel ripped off! I used to use this product all over my body on dry areas - elbows, legs, heels, hands. I can't really do that now as the container is so small. I'm going to look elsewhere for a decent dry skin treatment. It's a shame as this is a good balm for very dry skin ALL over the body (not just lips!!). However, on principle, I will not buy this product again.

on 12/16/2009 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is literally my biggest HG, #1 desert-island product of all time. I will update this review later on to add more of my personal thoughts on this product when I have time, but in the meantime, I felt it was important to pass on some relevant information.

This is the EXACT SAME PRODUCT as Paula's Choice Lip Recovery Balm (see MUA reviews here). Not a "dupe," but exactly the same. As of the end of 2009, Paula's Choice has renamed and repackaged the Lip & Body Treatment Balm; the ingredients have not changed at all. So if you are a fan of the Lip & Body Treatment Balm, do not despair - you can still buy it - but it is now called the Lip Recovery Balm. Unfortunately, it's more expensive per ounce now, though the overall price is lower:

The old Lip & Body Treatment Balm was $10.95 for a 0.5 ounce tub ($21.90/ounce).
The new Lip Recovery Balm is $7.95 for a 0.19 ounce tub ($41.84/ounce).
For reference, a tube of ChapStick is $1.69 for a 0.15 ounce tube ($11.26/ounce).

With that said, the Paula's Choice balm is WORTH THE DIFFERENCE. I would be very mad at them if they ever actually decided to charge this much, but I'd pay $100/ounce or more if I had to. continued >>

As a lip balm junkie, and as a PC skin care user for about a year, I cant believe it took me so long to try this lip balm! This is probably my HG lip treatment now, I cant go anywhere without this stuff. It makes my lips super smooth and hydrated, and has never flaked off or made my lips flaky, like so many other lip balms tend to do. Also I don't need to apply as nearly as often as any other lip balms I've ever tried. Makes an amazing base for lipstick or gloss, they always go on perfectly smooth after i apply this. Does great thing for my cuticle too, which are usually kinda dry and ragged looking-I work as a Bartender/Server, and I'm constantly washing my hands and having to deal with strong bleach chemicals for the glass washer. I don't mind the packaging that it comes in, it's just like a larger Carmex tube. Just try to make sure your hands are clean before dipping in! I will definitely repurchase, however this jar is so big that I think it will last at least a year!

on 1/3/2009 1:59:00 PM

Love this, and I'm a lip balm junkie. I have to have this under my lipstick. It even makes my lips look good without lipstick--not too shiny, but plump and moist!

on 12/30/2008 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm quite disappointed with this product after reading many of the rave reviews. The texture of the balm is dense, which made it difficult to apply it on my lips. The biggest problem is that it isn't moisturizing at all. I have tried many different lip treatments, and this I would probably consider as one of the least effective products.

I can't stop touching my lips because I can't believe how soft and smooth they are. Makes my lipstick look great. I believe this is HG status for me. I love that it sticks to my lips and I can drink and eat and it still feels like it's there working.

I have some leftover little tub containers from other products and samples so I just scoop some of this into one of them to stick in my pocket or handbag.

on 12/4/2008 2:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

PC's lip and body treatment balm has snuck up on me and become a firm favourite. I wasn't sure if I particularly liked it being in a jar or whether it was any better than, say, Vaseline. Well, it is. It's a nicer consistency, waxier and less gloopy, and it doesn't have the slightly unpleasant Vaseline smell. I use it for two purposes only: as a lip balm and on my cuticles. I keep a jar on my desk at work and another by my bedside. After putting some on my lips I always then rub it into my cuticles, which means there's no residue left on my fingertips. If your cuticles have been neglected or look a bit ragged for any reason, this will soon have them back in shape. I believe that the regular cuticle application has also helped to strengthen my nails. It definitely keeps my lips from ever being chapped, dry or cracked. I still use lipstick style lip balms when I want quick and easy application but Paula's treatment balm is an absolute staple for me. It's good stuff.

on 10/28/2008 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I'm not sure what all the excitement is about over this product. I've been a religious chapstick user for 10+ years (don't leave home without it!) and I don't see any difference between this product and chapstick. In fact, I much prefer the chapstick because it's easier to take with you, smells better, packaged better, and much cheaper. I won't be repurchasing and it will probably take me years to get through the container that I have.

on 4/4/2008 9:42:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm still a HUGE Paula's Choice fan, but this didn't work at all for me. Maybe I got a bad shipment or something went wrong somewhere....but my product was very densely packed, difficult to get out of the jar, it almost seemed like a jar of wax. After rubbing my finger against the balm many times, it seemed to warm up and loosen up some balm. It just didn't work for me.

on 3/26/2008 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

In my opinion, the only negative thing about this product is the price and I guess even that's not so bad as you really get quite a lot of product. I use a cosmetic spatula to scrape a bit from the tub which I transfer to my finger and then apply to my lips. The consistency is smooth and buttery and delivers excellent results. As expensive as this is, I could never justify using it as a body treatment, although I have occasionaly used a small bit on my cuticles.