Skinceuticals Refining Night Cream With 1 % Pure Retinol

Skinceuticals Refining Night Cream With 1 % Pure Retinol
Skinceuticals Retinol

water, cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone crosspolymer, dimethicone, dimethiconol, laureth-4, laureth-23, hydrogenated lecithin, butyorspermum parkii (shea butter), caprylic/capric triglyceride, ceramide 2, ceramide 3, phytosphingosine, cholesterol, hypericum perforatum extract, propylene glycol, allyl methacrylate crosspolymer, polysorbate 20, retinol, BHT, sodium polyacrylate, dimethicone PEG-7 isostearate, glycerin, polyacrylamide, C13-14 isoparaffin, leureth-7, bisabolol. rosa canina leaf extract, silybum marianum fruit extract, passiflora incarnata flower extract, chamomilla recutita (matreicaria) leaf extract, citric acid, methylsothiazolinone, tetrasodium EDTA SkinCeuticals 5/27/09

on 2/16/2009 10:16:00 AM

One of my favourite retinol products ! I use this about once every other night, after having built up to this frequency of use.

The 1.0 % concentration of retinol is the strongest you'll currently find on the market and is offered by only a few brands, so users may want to use this as a second or even third-step product after trying weaker retinol preparations with success.

My favourite aspect of this product, aside from the high concentration, is the texture. The lotiony formula seems to spread very neatly and evenly over my skin and is slightly moisturising -- normal-to-dry and dry skin types would probably enjoy this consistency.

on 2/11/2009 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I tolerated Accutane very well, so decided to start with this concentration rather than the .5%. Going on the basis of two pumps for my whole face excluding eyes; I used it once a week for three weeks, twice a week for three weeks, every other night for three weeks, and am now using it nightly. Apart from my stupidity (next paragraph!) I have had no adverse effects other than some very slight flaking when I started using it on alternate nights.

Definitely apply your eyecream before this product! Even though my facial skin tolerates this product very well, I forgot to apply my eyecream one night, and about half an hour later got out of bed to go and do it. The next morning I woke up with very red, dry eye-skin that was sore to the touch for several days. It almost felt like a bad sunburn.

Back to the good stuff - this product has softend the beginnings of lines on my forehead and between my brows, smoothed out the texture of my skin, lightened acne scars and discolorations, decreased general oiliness, and seems to have made my pores less noticeable. The largest change (although the hardest to define) is a sort of glow.

The packaging is functional; while it's hard to know how much product is left, for something of this type I'd much rather sacrifice that than chemical stability

I've been a long-time user of Revlon Colourstay foundation, and going to work or just out without foundation would have been unthinkable for me a few months ago. Now, I just dot on some concealer under my eyes, a little around my nose, lightly brush on some loose powder and go :-)

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I love this. I've had acne for 30 years and this cream is wonderful at clearing my skin. Even though I'm fair-skinned, I have had no trouble with too much drying - my skin looks great in the morning after using it. Because it's almost $50 for the little bottle, I don't use it every day, probably 3x/wk. But - I believe this is the best bargain out there as far as pure retinols go. If your skin is toughened by years of acne, scarring, etc., I highly recommend using this - you will see a difference.

on 1/7/2009 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

[1/30/2009 Update]: So I've been too lazy to reorder PC's 2% BHA liquid, and I've been wondering lately just how effective it is on my skin after using it for so many years. So instead of applying the BHA under the retinol, I've been applying a very tiny amount of MAMA before applying the retinol. It doesn't irritate my skin like PC's AHA + 1% retinol did.

So my regimen is now as follows: alternating nights - a) full pump of MAMA lotion; b) tiny pump of MAMA lotion + 1% retinol. I'm still happy with the results and I don't get irritation as long as the dose of MAMA under the retinol amounts to a very thin layer.

Even though I've stopped using PC's BHA, I haven't noticed an increase in clogged pores or breakouts...

[1/7/2009 review]: I started using this after going through 2 bottles of the .5% retinol. They both work the same on me: mattifying effect, smaller pores, lessening of acne (I apply extra on acne as a spot treatment after first applying an initial layer of the retinol on my entire face), and fading of sun spots and acne scars. However, I've noticed that I get better and faster results if I apply a BHA underneath first before applying the retinol. I've also started alternating BHA+1% retinol with MAMA lotion and have been happy with the results: more even skin tone and definite fading of sun spots and acne scars.

Note: I've tried using PC's AHA underneath the retinol since I've currently run out of her 2% BHA liquid and haven't bothered to order more yet (sort of my version of Avene's Diacneal), and it's too much for my face (more sensitive and more prone to flakies).

on 1/6/2009 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This stuff works really well. I have to say, it's very drying, but that's going to happen with any retinol treatment. I'm on my second bottle. My issues weren't wrinkles but acne and acne scars. This has helped durastically. It hasn't completely stopped my acne, but it's toned it down. It has really helped with my scars as well, and I think it helps prevent them from happening. I'm not crazy about the price, or that I have to order it online, but it's a great quality product. Beware however, it's very very drying. I have oily skin and my skin gets flakey from this, so sometimes I do it every other night.

on 8/31/2008 7:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this stuff. I first started with the .05 which is best. Only use it at first perhaps twice per week then move up to 3 times per week. Once my skin adjusted to this I then moved to the 1%. Again SLOWLY. This stuff is amazing and I have tried SO many other products but I seem to notice a change in my skin as soon as I put this on. It seems to lighten and brighten my skin. You must go very slow with this it is strong. Give your skin a chance to adjust. IF you are sensitive perhaps you shouldn't try it, but do find a low percent and work your way up. This will always be my #1 skincare product. I have tried many. The price is not to bad at Ebay.

on 7/31/2008 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I'm writing this review as a warning to all those out there who think, like I did, that if 0.5% retinol is a good thing, then 1% must be twice as good. Think again.
I only used this on three occasions, once every 3 days, but I got a terrible peeling and redness, especially over my cheekbones and dryness and tightness everywhere else. I have never seen my skin looking like this. It has taken over a week to improve, that too with daily La Mer and Payot Creme no 2 application. I do not even consider my skin very sensitive-I rarely have redness. Because I hate waste, I will try it again after a few days, but will try and "buffer" it with a cream immediately. If that changes anything, I will update my review. I'm going back to the 0.5%, which is much better.
Edit 07/02/2010. It is actually possible to use this if I don't use it in winter, and also because my skin finally got used to it over several months of spaced-apart applications, but there is no real need to, because there appears to be no evidence that 1% is any better than 0.5%. 1% should really only be used by people who saw no effect with 0.5%, so really I should have stuck with the 0.5%. Unfortunately, and I think most people think this way, I wanted to use the strongest version I could tolerate because I thought it would work better. Even now when I can tolerate, it doesn't work any better than the 0.5%, so my advice would be to start with the lower strength and go up only if you think it's not helping.

on 7/3/2008 10:42:00 PM

So far... amazing. I was usuing the .5 retinol cream for a couple months before I upgraded to this. I hadn't finished the can, but my skin had stopped responding to it. I bought the .1 at blue mercury and the SA emphasized working up from three applications a week. After one night my skin was clearer and had a little glow. We'll see what happens after extended use, but I am excited. Will try to edit more later.

EDIT: did not perform well enough for the price. ended up almost out 100 bucks and still had break outs

on 4/11/2008 5:49:00 PM

I have very pale skin with clogged pores around the nose area. This product did absolutely nothing good for me. Actually, if anything, it made my skin greasy in the morning after I put it on at night. It was basically an oil slick in the morning and the clogged pores turned darker!!

I wanted so much to love this product. The price was reasonable and the packaging was great. However this made my skin so dry. I tried alternating every other night and even every three nights, but after months of use and many moisturizers I just couldn't get my skin to adjust to this product. It probably would work wonders on someone with skin that could handle it, but on me the drying and flaking actually made me look a bit older.