Palladio Beauty Rice Powder

Palladio Beauty Rice Powder
Rice PowderRice Powder

on 1/4/2009 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I wasn't able to test this before buying it, which is a rookie mistake that my irritable-skinned self should know better than to make. Especially as the ingredients list clearly states "fragrance". It transpired that said fragrance was akin to the kind of toy make-up or perfume seven-year-olds are given to play with. After this inauspicious start, the rice powder's fortunes only worsened when my face began to protest - itching, slight stinging, little red bumps. I used it a few times in total with different products underneath to see if I could create a buffer that might allow my skin to tolerate the powder. I couldn't. Each time I was able to clearly detect its presence during the day if I happened to check my reflection, having experimented with a puff, a dense kabuki brush and a looser dusting brush to apply. This is partly my own doing, having tried to match the shade of my previous MAC loose Blot Powder and ending up with this in Fair, which isn't the lightest option. However, I think it's also a reflection on how coarsely milled the product appears to be in comparison to pretty much everything else I've tried (drugstore and high end). The packaging is so flimsy that the block of powder inside comes separately wrapped, with what I can only assume - because it would surely make a pathetic applicator - is a square of protective foam. Appealingly kitsch illustrations just didn't disguise or compensate for this...crappiness. I've had some pleasant surprises with Palladio, and this was karma's payback. Having said that, it did help me to realise that I don't like a completely matte finish to my make-up, so I'll be looking for light-reflecting particles (e.g. mica) in future powders. I applaud its minimal ingredients, simplicity and potential good value for money - means well, but must try harder.
Ingredients: Calcium carbonate (chalk), oryza sativa (rice) starch, methylparaben, propylparaben. May contain: iron oxides, talc. 5.98/44g, Sally's Hair & Beauty Supply.

on 7/20/2008 9:31:00 AM

I usually use pressed powder - if anything - to set my foundation, but I've had a box (unopened) of this knocking about my makeup drawer for ages. I've just thrown away a used-twice stila compact because the lightest shade was too yellow and 'obvious' for my cool-toned, pale skin and I decided to try the Palladio before purchasing another pressed powder.
The day I chose to trial-run it, I had to travel to and from a course for work. I applied it at 5.30 a.m., then re-applied it about three times during the day. My t-zone looked reasonable (not perfect, but certainly not a mess) when I arrived home at 11.30 p.m. I found the powder to be silky, fine and colourless on my skin. It looked even (not thick or patchy) whenever re-applied to oily skin. It looked natural in both colour and texture on my skin and didn't oxidise during the day.
I'm not usually a fan of loose powder - for the sake of convenience - but I managed to apply this, using the puff supplied, on the go. (I just used whatever powder had naturally gathered on the puff - blowing off the excess.)
I'm not going to bother hunting down a new pressed powder just yet - I'm happy to continue with my Palladio.

Information about the product:
I paid about 5 (with free p+p) for a 22g box from UK website, Beautynaturals.com. The website says "Rice Face Powder is a uniquely formulated loose powder in a compressed block. Derived from an ancient Chinese formula, Hoi Tong, Rice Powder has been used for centuries on both face and body to control shine. It leaves skin feeling dry and cool and the three natural shades compliment all skin tones."
The product comes in three colours: 'Translucent', 'Natural' and 'Warm Beige'. My review is for the palest of the three, 'Translucent.'
The ingredients are: calcium carbonate, rice starch, methylparaben, propylparaben, iron oxide colours, talc.

on 6/26/2008 12:32:00 AM

Retails for $4.99 USD at Ulta. I have only tried the Translucent one. I like that the box is small and the lid sits on it securely but this powder tends to get everywhere, more so than any other loose powder I've tried. I didn't have any chalkiness like some others have noted. I'll give it a full day test with summer heat tomorrow and see how that goes. I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything indicating that rice starch absolutely causes breakouts. I think this just falls into the category of problem product for people who are sensitive to many products. The one thing I really hate is this stuff smells exactly like baby powder.

Probably one of the nicest powders I've ever used. Packaging is cute buy I want to replace the puff and I don't know where I'll find a square one.
the price is perfect. The translucent shade makes me feel like dita von teese.
its just the right size, it fits in my pocket, and there isn't so much that it will go bad before I get a chance to use it.
I love it and will definitely buy it again.

Fabulous product. It gives me the pale, porcelain look that I love. It also keeps my oily cheeks at bay. My only gripe would be the packaging, as it has the tendency to spill into my makeup bag every once in a while. But overall, an excellent product for the price.

on 5/15/2007 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I use this as a primer to absorb oils under my foundation (Palladio wet/dry). It works very well for this purpose. It doesn't have coverage at all, just covers the shine you get from sunscreens. No breakouts, no irritation. Makes my powder foundation smooth right on. I will continue to purchase. ***UPDATE*** well i've been using this for a couple weeks and i've discovered that it's making me super oily. I'm gonna try MAC Blot next.

on 5/15/2007 12:53:00 AM

I have the translucent powder and it does a great job. Sometimes I use it over everything else to set it and smooth it out and sometimes I will use it over just moisturizer and sunscreen. I use a brush to apply--yeah, that powder puff is a joke but so is any that comes with loose powder. And yes, loose powders do tend to get all over. That's the nature of the beast. I haven't had any problems with the packaging coming open. It stays closed very nicely.

on 12/21/2006 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This Rice Powder was great. I tried MAC blot powder and it made me look to "powdery." And almost kind of flakey. I wear Differen and Clindagel medication for my face, which kind of makes me nose appear "constricted" and shiny. Well, I put some of this on there, and it completely covered the shine without getting flakey looking :D And it's completely translucent, which is something I absolutely adore, because most "translucents" I've tried still add a bit of color.

*UPDATE* I've realized that it's not completely translucent. IF you don't blend well you might come out with really light patches.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this because of the good reviews here. It was in a much smaller package than I was expecting. I got the translucent powder. I really love this stuff, it is very fine powder and goes on very nicely. I am oily and this really lasts and stops shine. The "puff" it comes with is no good, use a brush.
UPDATE: This is the only product that keeps my skin from getting shiny. I can't live without it, wish they made a pressed rice powder.

on 8/31/2006 10:38:00 AM

This is a great powder! It instantly mattifies without being heavy, cakey or drying. For me it helps to keep the oilies at bay for at least several hours (which I consider a triumph). When the oil again breaks through during the day, just a light application makes my skin shine free with no build up. It also doesn't accentuate lines or wrinkles. It's best applied with a brush for a smooth and flawless finish. The price is certainly right - $4.99 at Sally's. The packaging is improved - a plastic lid that fits tightly and a sifter inside. My skin is pretty pale, and the translucent works wonderfully. I'm not crazy about the fact that it is scented, but even though my skin is usually irritated by scents, I haven't had any problems with this. A definite re-buy (when it runs out, which could take quite a while).