MAC Cosmetics Studio Face and Body Foundation

Filtered by eye Color : Green
MAC Cosmetics Studio Face and Body Foundation

on 7/12/2013 10:46:00 PM

Awful. Made me break out with whiteheads and little bumps everywhere!! That has never happened to me before. Loved the way it looked though, its too bad.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

MAC NC20 / Colorstay: Buff/Sand beige / MUFE Mat velvet: 20 (winter)

So... What to start with?
Do you feel like you've already tried ALL the foundations in the world.. And all of them are... Too cakey? Too sheer? Too full coverage? Too matte? Too dewy? Well, you're not the only one.

I have normal skin (thanks god!) so i can use matte as well as dewy foundations and it looks good usually. The problem with me & all the foundations is.. I don't want people too see that I'm wearing make-up! But at the same time I want at least light-medium coverage... Because.. My skin is in quite good condition now but still there's a lot to cover!

How to describe MAC F&B? For me, it's a foundation that has light-medium incredibly buildable coverage, doesn't look cakey AT ALL, makes the skin look smooth - no pores and finelines and gives AMAZING satin-dewy finish that I am a huge fan of and I don't set it with powder at all.
My tip is to use your hands to apply this. The more you blend the foundation into your skin, the more "creamy" and "pasty" it becomes and the more coverage you get. With a flat-top kabuki, 190, beautyblender...... It just doesn't give any coverage at all.

Love that foundation ABSOLUTELY!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

My skin: combination (oily t-zone, normal cheeks, dry around chin and mouth) NW 25

What I was looking for: Sheer coverage that covers redness and uneven skin tone while giving a dewy/nataural look.

What I got: N3. It covers my redness and uneveness and gives a dewy look. However, it doesn't last long at all. I had it on for about 6 hours and I couldn't tell any difference from my nataural skin. My redness was obvious again and the clean/dewy look was gone. I wasn't any more oily than I usually am but my face just looked different. I applied it with my fingers because I was too cheap to buy the brush the Mac Artist used. (He used the small round stippling brush. Not sure which number it was. The cost was $35.) When he applied it I loved it.

My sister and I were shopping and while she was looking at clothes in Macys I was distracted by the colorful Mac counter. The artist applied the foundation to half my face and I found my sister. (Before he applied the foundation I was already wearing the oil control lotion and prep + prime nataural radiance primer). I asked her if she could tell a difference in the sides of my face. She said the side with the foundation just looked a little cleaner and fresher but nothing too drastic. I was immediately sold because that's exactly what I was looking for.

I'm going to go buy the Mac brush and see if it makes a difference. If not I'm going to still keep it. I don't hate it but don't think I would waste my money again. I'll save my money for the lotion and primer from Mac that I can't survive without!

MAC Face and Body foundation has be around for a long time, but for the first time since itís inception, MAC has finally permanently launched across all stores, meaning everyone can now try it out, not just those lucky enough to live beside a Pro store. Hate it when they do that!

Anyway, F&B is my go-to foundation in my kit; I use it on just about everybody and absolutely love it, so I thought Iíd share my thoughts and techniques on how to get the most out of this product.

For starters, F&B has a sheer to medium, buildable coverage. It is a very fluid runny formula making it a little messy to work with. The finish is dewy, and tends to suit a normal to dry skin best. Itís a waterproof formula and has great staying power, as long as youíre not excessively oily. I always set it with powder, as it can look quite shiny by itself.

This stuff is probably the runniest foundation you will have ever used, itís like water. But as soon as you start working it into the skin, the strangest thing starts to happen. The more friction or movement F&B gets, the thicker it gets, so the more you blend it in, the more coverage it has. A great tip I learned from my days of working on counter at MAC is to pour a little of the product into the palm of your hands, then vigorously rub your hands together. about 10 seconds you will feel the foundation begin to thicken and then you can either massage it on the face with your hands, or use a stiff buffing brush to blend it on. That way you avoid having the blend the hell out of you or your clients face.

Tools:
The best tools for applying it are you mitts! Without a doubt, your hands will apply this foundation best. You can perfect the finish of it by buffing the skin with a brush after you have applied it with your hands, but there is seriously no point trying to get an even finish with a brush alone, itís just too damn runny.

Coverage:
Although the coverage is sheer to medium, really you can build this up to be full coverage, itís so malleable and controllable you can get whatever level of coverage you want.

Finish:
The finish is dewy, and very smooth, skin looks pore free and perfect. The film formers in this product (the ingredients that make it waterproof) stop the foundation from sinking into pores and fine lines, and instead creates a second skin that sits perfectly smooth.

Skin Type:
Because of itís very dewy finish though, this really isnít the best foundation for oily skin, I myself canít wear it, it goes very shiny very quickly, even with copious amounts of powder. Itís stunning on normal to dry skins though.

Body:
It will not cover tatoos or bruises or birthmarks! Itís a sheer finish, that you can build, but you wont get that level of coverage. Itís gorgeous to even out skin tone on the body, for example if you get very red and splotchy across your chest, or you have very pale translucent skin. Itís a waterproof formula, so it wonít streak if it gets wet, but itís not 100% transfer resistant. I wouldnít wear it with white!

Everything that I just shared has been with my experience and is my own opinion. This is an amazing product, but isnt right for everybody! MAC will give samples, so stop in and grab one... try before you buy! I hope you like it as much as i do. Nothing better than multi-demensional products that can be used in many dofferent ways. It makes you feel less guilty when you spend the money! :-)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I went to the MAC counter looking for a gift and ended up buying myself a new foundation as well. After being disappointed with a couple of foundations lately, I decided go give MAC another try. I used to be obsessed with the HyperReal foundation that has since been discontinued so I figured that any/most MAC foundations were a safe bet for my super sensitive skin.

The MUA tested out the F&B foundation on my skin and I loved the subtle glow that it gave me. It has a really nice texture and felt so lightweight on my skin that I bought a bottle.

The color (C1) matched my skin tone beautifully and I was so excited to have found such a great new foundation.

Two days later, I woke up with a very itchy, bumpy rash all over my face, neck, and chest. Apparently my skin hates this foundation which really sucks since I really loved the way it looked and felt. Now, I'll have to soothe my very irritated skin for the next week! Ugh, such a PAIN.

Before any of you sensitive skin ladies give this a try, test it out on a small spot first! I'd hate for someone else to go through this :(

Sorry MAC but you've lost my faith in your face products...

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

If you have moderate to severe hyperpigmentation, blemishes, or scarring and you want to rely on your foundation to cover those (rather than concealer), this is NOT the foundation for you.

If you are very oily or very dry, I don't think this is the right foundation for you either.

This foundation works if you have quite mild hyperpigmentation and need something that just generally evens out your skin. I think it works for normal to combo skin (I have slightly oily t zone and dry patches).

The bottle- is a plastic squeezy bottle. Plain and simple. The amount of foundation you get for the money is unreal, and it'll last ages. It takes me about a eighth of a teaspoon on a bad day and less on a good one to get the coverage I want.

The scent- is mild, inoffensive, and goes away.

The texture and application- is very cool. It's a very thin, watery texture and needs a good shake before dispensing for application. The texture reminds me a bit of the cornstarch and water experiment that simulates how magma works. It feels thin when first applied and then, as you work it in, it seizes up for a moment and then becomes workable again. I've found that it works best going by section and applied in thin layers. It needs some working in, but I haven't had any issues with streaking unless I try to apply too much at a time. I apply this over my sunscreen (Loreal Sublime SPF 50) and I use my fingers for application.

I have discovered that skin prep is the key to this working well. If I use an especially oily moisturizer or sunscreen, or use too much of those products before I apply this or don't wait for them to absorb into my skin, this foundation *will* slide right off my face. Also, ime, it generally doesn't play well with silicone based primers. If your life is not complete without a primer I've found that (for normal to combo and dry to normal) both the Korres primers work, and if you're a bit on the oily side, the black opal invisible oil blocking primer works.

Afterwords I typically use: a concealer like the light reflective undereye from Neutrogena, and Vichy Dermablend for any blemishes, a creme highlighter like elf, Benefit, or Becca, liquid stain or creme blush like MUFE HD, elf's dupe of said, benefit, or tarte, a long wearing creme eye makeup like Maybelline's color tattoo, and a long wearing mascara. My 'face' looks fresh and natural and lasts for hours and hours.

The finish- looks like natural skin. It's not especially shiny or matte. This has no pore refining/diminishing properties that I've noticed. If skin texture is an issue for you, this isn't going to do much to help you out. It looks like *my* skin, just more even.

The coverage- is very light. it will help even out some minor variations in skin tone, but it's not going to cover much of anything. It layers well and slightly more coverage is possible with a second thin layer, but still, nothing even moderate is going to be covered here.

The wear- This wears for 7-8 hours before I need to go over my t-zone again to even it out. I don't use powder or blot papers because I can't usually be bothered to have them with me. The foundation removes well with a double cleanse. It claims to be water resistant, but I've not had the chance to try that out. I have done some serious sweating with this makeup on and it doesn't move or transfer for me.

The color- I am a C2 in this foundation and it matches me very well. I'm generally a NC 20-25 in Mac foundations. I think that the coverage is sheer enough that if you match your undertone (either yellow/pink or pink/yellow) you could probably go one shade lighter or darker than needed in this foundation and it wouldn't really matter.

A word about sunscreen- This does not have an SPF listed. I don't understand why this is an issue for some of you. 1. This foundation is made to be photographed, naturally it doesn't have an (appreciable) spf in it, so it won't 'flashback'. 2. Why would you rely on the sunscreen in your foundation to protect your skin? Hopefully nobody applies the amount of foundation needed for sun protection, because ick and/or gross. If you want sun protection, use a separate SPF product before you put your makeup on.

Overall-I was looking for a light coverage natural looking (similar to TM) foundation that was also long wearing. This has the coverage I wanted and wears well on me. Definite repurchase.

on 4/1/2013 9:20:00 PM

Mac Face & Body should be a foundation that I don't like, and that's the reason I kept away from purchasing it for so long. However, I wanted to try out a lighter base for spring/summer so purchased this in the N1 shade. This was a tad light for me so I moved to the shade N2 which is a much better match for my skin tone. But I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by this foundation. Granted it would be absolutely perfect for someone with great skin.....however I have redness, a few blemishes and very dark circles. BUT, I can still make it work and Iove using this just to even out my skin tone if I'm popping to the shops, or even if I just want a light foundation to wear indoors. It is quite a runny liquid foundation and is very sheer, and for me personally I need to use two or three layers to get it to adequately cover my redness. If you are looking for medium to full coverage this is not for you, but it can be built up to a medium finish. I like to apply one layer, let it dry and them pay on a second layer, the patting motion helps to get a bit more coverage on the areas if the face that need it. Staying power is good and of course I've got to mention the value for money - the 120ml bottle is so much better value than the 50ml bottle and there's only $6 in the difference. I will continue to use f&b on days when I just want a little coverage, however Mac Studio Sculpt remains my favourite foundation.

This foundation gives me a really natural look and does not give very much coverage, but it evens out my skin colour, which is really what I am after. For more coverage of specific areas, I prefer to use a concealer. I have tried to build it up the foundation for more coverage. The MAC artist told me to wait 20 sec. after first layer before I could apply a second layer, but I find that the finish looks and feels a little mask-like and the smell somehow bothers me. So for this foundation, I prefer a sheer layer applied with my fingers and a little concealer if needed. I sometimes add a very light dusting of powder to the nose and cheeks, which makes the foundation stay put better and gives a more even base for powder blush. I use C1, but I could maybe have used N1 - or a mix of the two - on my fair, but warm to neutral skin.
I recently watched a make up video on Lisa Eldridge's site featuring the renowned makeup artist Mary Greenwell who created a Cate Blanchett makeup look for fair skin. She used a mix of the MAC Face and Body Foundation in N1 and the MAC white base to get the perfect skin tone match, and I am a little tempted to try out something similar. I would really recommend the video too! I learnt a lot and felt quite inspired.

on 2/20/2013 11:15:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

At first I LOVED this foundation. It was light coverage like I wanted. This cleared up my skin, and made it look smooth/radiant.

The price is actually VERY good - at first I felt like it was a huge splurge ($40 for 120mL in Canada). But when I did the math, I realized I was paying MORE for most of the drugstore brands (I'd pay $20ish for only 30 - 40mL). So this foundation is actually better priced than the other ones I'd been using (per mL).

The colour is bit yellow-ey for my skin tone. I am SUPER pale (as in, I have blue veins visible along my jaw-line and under my eyes). So I have to be careful about blending into my hairline and jaw/neck, cause if I don't, I'd get a yellow/orange mask with MAC.

Overall, I'm still deciding if I'll buy it again or not - I've been breaking out recently, but I DO like the dewy-light finish it gives me.

on 2/18/2013 12:05:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Just perfect. Zero negatives. C3 is a dead on match for my winter color. I have NEVER had an exact match. I'm very yellow and always end up looking ruddy, grey, ashy, etc. I don't like sunscreen for that reason either.
As I apply this, my skin just looks magically better. Not like there's color being applied ON it. It transforms my actual skin into looking good.
I use a pink sponge that looks like a slightly larger, slightly firmer beauty blender. I dip it in the foundation, spread a quick film all over, and then "push" it in all over with the top of sponge. I was covering with powder bc it is very dewy, but I think I've come to realize that powder actually makes me oilier late in the day. Plus it just looks nice and glowy as is and I just love love love it!