Rosehip Seed Oil

Rosehip Seed Oil
Favorite oilEnter Title

4.2

rose (usually rose moschata or rosa rubiginosa) hip seed oil

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I so, so wanted to love this product. I have moderate-severe acne scarring on my cheeks (hyperpigmentation and pitted scars). Additionally, my skin is ultra sensitive and acne prone. I purchased the 1 oz bottle of Life Flo brand organic RHO because it seemed to be a popular brand among MUAers.

After washing my face, I let it almost completely air dry and then, with clean hands, I warmed a couple of drops of RHO between my palms and pressed this all over my damp face. This method is recommended when applying oils to the face as it distributes evenly and uses less product. I left this on overnight.

I woke up the next morning to clogged pores and tiny white pustules forming on my cheeks and forehead. I stopped using it immediately after this. Most of the pustules when away but one or two turned into larger pimples that took me about a week to get rid of.

I actually decided to give RHO a second shot despite my terrible first experience. The bottle instructs you to "massage onto dry skin". Bad idea! Three or four drop gave me small pustules, the larger amount I had to use for a dry face left me with about three full-blown pimples. Never again!!

on 10/25/2015 7:59:00 PM

I love rosehip oil as it really brightens up my complexion over time with repeated use. It leaves an orangey tinge, so I do not use it by itself during the day. This does not clog pores and leaves a fairly matte finish on skin. The mattest rosehip seed oil I have found is produced by Pai Skincare. Shea Terra Organics also makes a great product, ethically sourced, with no extra junk.

on 10/25/2015 5:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Love this stuff, has so many uses. My dry, sensitive skin loves it:

- Mix one drop with your foundation to give it a dewier finish and keep your skin soft all day (I use a matte foundation, mixed with 1 drop of rosehip oil. The result is still matte, but glowier)

- Mix 2 drops with moisturizer to kick your moisturizer up a notch (I usually do this at night)

- Apply directly to bare skin when your skin is super dry, and follow with moisturizer

- Use to dissolve waterproof and longwearing makeup (gently massage onto damp face, then wipe off. Follow with regular cleansing routine)

Rosehip seed oil was not a home run for me the way emu oil was. I tried doing a 50/50 mix of emu and rosehip oil to get the benefits of both, and had some stubborn flakiness that wouldn't go away and thought it felt a little astringent. I switched to straight emu oil and both issues went away almost immediately. I have only tried rosehip oil alone a couple of times, and I didn't feel like it sunk in and moisturized as much as I would have liked either. The final negative point is the smell. I thought the recent bottle I got was rancid until I compared it to older oil I had that was actually rancid. I don't get anything nutty, just rancid spoiled oil although it seems to mellow out quickly. I'm giving this oil 2 stars instead of 1 because of the antioxidant benefits it does provide. I think I'll stick to emu oil though.

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I haven't had any product, natural or no, give me the glow that rosehip seed oil has, and so quickly too! I use it at night on damp skin immediately after showering, in conjunction with a witch hazel toner, and sometimes mixed with jojoba and tamanu oils. I also use it in the morning after washing my face, just a couple drops, gently massaged into the skin, focusing on fine lines around the eyes and forehead.

It has improved the smooth texture of my skin, and definitely brightened my face, particularly in the undereye area. Rich in omega-6, it's an excellent oil for its anti-aging properties, as it promotes skin cell renewal.

I have not used it long enough to notice its effect on hyperpigmentation and blemishes. Will update.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I bought Aura Cacia's Organic Rose hip Seed Oil about 6 months ago and have had amazing results with it. First off, I have oily, sensitive skin and have tried almost every natural skin oil on the market to find something that doesn't make me break out more. Rose hip seed is my HG! I put it on when my face is still wet after cleansing, it sinks right into my skin like dumping water on a a thirsty plant. It smooths out wrinkles, gives you a healthy glow and has shaved years off my appearance due to a smoking habit that I've recently FINALLY been able to stop completely. I recommend this product to everyone I meet, it's worth the 14-16$. Has a shelf life of 6 months but I find that if you refrigerate it like it says to do on the bottle, it lasts longer. Even if it didn't, I would definitely buy it again :)

Update: I've been using Rosehip Seed Oil for well about a year now and will definitely continue to use forever! I've been told that I look a lot younger than my age and I can certainly say that I agree now. I look in the mirror and think I could pass for 18 and I am 28. This product lives up to all of the hype as long as it is suited for your skin type. I started ordering it from Luckyvitamin.com and they have really fair prices on their site. Usually around $10 for an ounce. You can also try mountainroseherbs.com, their prices are very fair. After doing some reading online, I discovered minimalistbeauty.com which really REALLY helped clarify what oils would be best for my skin. So if you've been experimenting and not having much luck definitely go check that out.

on 7/29/2015 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This oil is very great ! I have an oily skin and often use rosehip seed oil in the winter. Before sleeping, I massage my face with 2 drops (after using toner and before night cream) and sometime for lips (maybe just 1 drop for lips). So in the cold weather, I still have a healthy and moist skin
I think you should use shea butter instead of moisture cream after rosehip oil. It is really a perfect couple

on 5/30/2015 6:55:00 PM

I buy rosehip facial oil from my local health shop, it is the only facial oil I have tried which hasn't broke me out. I have tried 3 other high street brand facial os which have caused spots, this must be because the ingredients are not pure. I apply rosehip facial oil every morning and evening, massaging it into my skin before I apply moisturiser. It has really helped to hydrate my skin and lock in moisture, this is now part of my skincare routine and I will continue to use.

on 5/29/2015 4:03:00 AM

I have sensitive skin, i.e prone to develope large spots if I use to strong a product. Have tried MANY expensive brands which have in the past caused breakouts, pretty much instantly. My skin is also on the oiler side so have for obvious reasons avoided adding more oils to it!
But having read so many good things about rose oil I decided to give it a go.
I have now been using pure cold pressed rose seed oil for two days and I can already tell the difference!
I use a few drops at before bedtime, which I apply after spraying my face with Avene thermal water and honestly, I am very impressed!
It feels great, so far it hasn't caused any breakouts, its cheap( €14), doesn't make the skin feel oily at all and I have been waking up with dewy and very soft skin.
My favourite thing about it is that it has after just three days given my skin a glow which is visible through makeup!
Of all the moisturisers I have tried none has performed as well as this after such a short time.
Hopefully it won't cause breakouts, but I don't think it will. Normally if my skin doesn't like a product it will reap it's terrible revenge pretty much instantaneously!
I'd definitely recommend rose seed oil a go to anyone!

on 5/6/2015 6:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

After reading about rosehip seed oil (RSO) a few years ago, I bought and tried it. A cold pressed organic kind and whilst I gained plump skin, I also gained extra spots, so I stopped using and used in my body/hair butter.

Last July, after I wanted to bring my skincare steps down (abhorrent on makeupalley I know) a friend gave me some of her Rhassoul clay to use as a facial cleanser. Well that stuff balanced my skin nicely but made my skin a little dryer, I also found I had no need for my glycolic acid serum nor my BHA facial creme. I saw online a blogger how RSO helped her with her acne dark spots and I wanted to try again, so I bought RSO online and tried again. This time I diluted it with grapeseed oil 50:50 in a little dropper bottle recycled from a essential oil (cleaned out!) and BOOM my skin lapped it up. Couple of drops after cleansing, on a damp face and it soaked in beautifully. Able to put sunscreen and make up on almost immediately but more importantly no spots and no irritation. This cleanser then oil regimen had left my skin in better shape than anything my doctor, beautician or the beauty hall could offer me. By September I noticed my post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIP) had all but disappeared. I liked looking at my skin.

Change of season and the RSO/grapeseed oil mix wasn't cutting it my skin was dryer, so I looked in my kitchen cupboards and used ricebran oil 50% and RSO 50%... I also started to seal aloe vera gel instead of just water with my oil mix as well. Well by December I was getting complements on my skin and my hyperpigmemtation on my lower face had greatly reduced, so much so I go without makeup most days.

Spring now and rice bran oil is a little rich.... back to grapeseed oil or maybe a mix of the grapeseed and ricebran oils with the 50% RSO.

So if you first don't succeed, try diluting it. If you look at RSO as an active ingredient then some can use at full strength, others like myself at 50% or even at 25%.

my skin type: acne prone, irritable, mature, combination, with hyperpigmentation on lower half of face. HTH.
x