Color Oops Extra Strength Hair Color Remover

Color Oops Extra Strength Hair Color Remover

3.8

Part 1: Deionized Water, Sodium Hydrosulfite, Fragrance, Polysorbate-80, Hydroxyethcellulose, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine.Part 2: Deionized Water, Citric Acid, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Xanthan Gum.

on 2/5/2008 8:55:00 PM

I have been using body grade Yemen henna for a while and decided to go brown. My hair is naturally dirty blonde/gray and I had about an inch of growth since my last henna. I paid $4.00 (at Big Lots-mistake) for a High Dimension by Revlon hair color in medium neutral brown. As I was applying it, I noticed that it wasn't mixing well but I continued. The color took mostly to the ends of my hair and not at all to the roots. I bought Color Oops at Walgreen's and let it sit in the closet for a few days. I finally decided to use it and it worked perfectly. The smell reminds me slightly of the old Ogilvie home perms from the 80's but it is definitely tolerable.

See my pics for before and after photos.

Thank GOD for this product!

on 1/16/2008 9:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wow, where to begin! I started out with light brown hair with dark blonde highlights 5 days ago. I went to the salon to go darker. I wanted Jennifer Gardner's coloring, medium golden brown with medium auburn highlights. Instead I walked out with a deep bordeaux purple-ish color with red-red highlights. I was not happy! I went back yesterday to have it fixed by the same place. They were able to remove some of the purple affect but it became an even darker brown, borderline black.

After reading the reviews for this product I decided to try it, praying my hair won't turn green or something. I followed the directions to a T and when all was said and done, I was specchless. Not a speck of deep color anywhere. I was left with a medium auburn, almost Addison from Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice. I would have left it that color except for the crown (where I previously had blonde highlights) was more of Little Orphan Annie orange and there was a definite ashen tone throughout. But no bordeaux wine color!!

While at the store I also bought a box of L'Oreal Colour Experte, my usual brand, but in a medium golden brown. I just finished with the brown and after drying and depending on the results, may throw in some highlights. I am so incredibly happy and satisfied with this product!!! Color Oops was a live saver! And best of all, it only cost me $8.99 at Harmon's Discount Beauty. So much for the $200 I wasted at the salon. Lesson learned!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is better than ANY color remover i've tried, including Colorfix (in the yellow box), Colorzap, and that weird one by loreal that you can also buy in the drugstore, the one with the blue powder that turns into a gritty cream..yuck. I didn't have high hopes for this product. Something always goes wrong: It removes color but destroys your hair. It removes color but the ends remain darker than the rest of your hair. It turns orange. It redarkens after you rinse. The color turns black the moment you re-color even if you're using dark blonde, forcing you to repeat the entire process again. (at your own risk). This stuff: brilliant. None of that BS. I used this on my just dyed dark brown hair, removed it quickly (20 minutes or less), evenly (when i rinsed, i could have left it that way), resulting in a very light, slightly orange brown. Most surprising of all, though, was the way my hair felt after I blowdried it to prepare it for the new color. It was not breaking. It even felt better than before, somehow. It was soft and silky when it should have been crunchy and mangled. The product is liquidy, which at first bothered me, but by the end, i discovered it was more than enough (thank god) and actually lathered and really soaked my entire head really well. A nice change from the other creams/liquids that make your hair feel like a crusty helmet. Also, when i re-colored it took very well and didn't go dark (it did come out dark but that's because i used a dark color and a 20 dev instead of a 30 and perhaps a lighter shade. I would use this again in a heartbeat. I got this at CVS - suprised they carry it -usually soemthing this good can only be found where it's most difficult and time consuming to obtain (online). I'm so glad I tried this and so pissed i've been using inferior color removers in the past and wrecking my hair. if you make a mistake, this is the best way to fix it - and after, if recoloring, make sure you use a 30 or 40 dev and a light or medium shade unless you want to go very dark. the light shade will likely darken to a medium shade anyway.UPDATE: i discovered the hard way that if you use this you should go to a very very good hairdresser because anything you use will probably go very dark, unless that's what you're after. My hair lightened to a pale orange-brown, more yellow at the roots and the salon had use an ultra light ash blond to achieve a medium brown then they put in golden highlights to lighten up the color. Honestly, even though i'd like to think so, i don't think i could have duplicated the results at home and gotten it that light on my own. SO, good product - but it will make your hair porous so that it sucks in color and it will go dark no matter what. Only use in emergency situations - unless you want orange hair and plan to go from there.

My hair was a wreck.. haha.
I'm 15 and I have colored my hair at least 15 times.. and I had two perms when I was 6-9.

Alright.
I colored my hair from medium brown to temporary natural instincts black. Then I did it black again a few months later. And then I wanted it gone. So I used Garnier Frutis brownish reddish. It didn't make a difference, waste of money. I didn't want to go to school with 3 different hair colors in my hair (blonde roots, reddish after that, and pitch black hair) so I used the natural instincts black again. That was labor day 2007 (september).

Yesteryday, October 27th... I went to Rite Aid and bought color oops extra strength.. (I debated whether or not to get the moisturizing but this was for really tough colors) And I bought born blonde hair color for afterwards but I never used it.

Used color oops today.
Honestly.. the smell of color oops did NOT offend me. It honestly didn't wreck my house with rotten egg smell. It was very liquidy, and that's good.. because I wanted a hair cut before I did it.. I was worried my hair would be too long and I only bought one box.

It looks like a little.. but it goes a LONG way. I have hair past my shoulders.

My hair is now a darkish brown ish color and it got a lot of the black out. I still have a litttttle black left in my hair.. so next week and I getting a hair cut and using color oops again.

My hair is not dried out after washing it three times and using this.

Great great great product.

Only 4 lippies because it did not remove ALL of the black.. still will buy again.

on 9/19/2007 7:50:00 PM

This is a life saver. My hair history is as follows: I am naturally dirty blonde, but I have been dying my hair black for a few years, and then red for a few years. Eventually, about 2 years ago, I decided to go back to blonde (via bleach). However, the salon did not do the best job, so I had to have it fixed. As a result, my great hair became not so great. After a while, I decided it would be better to keep my hair brown, so I could maintin it without having to lighten. So, I bought some brown dye, and it came out a horrible color - I hated it. A day later, I did some research online, and found Color Oops on the walgreens site. I read some good things, so I decided to give it a shot. I couldn't find the regular strength, so I bought the extra strength. I have long hair, and I bought one box (and that was enough). It was easy to figure out, but a little hard to apply because the liquid is very watery. At first I thought that was a downside, but it actually made the product spread easier, and that is a plus because I have a lot of hair. So, I left it on 20 minutes, shampoo, rinsed 5 minutes, reapeated, and then checked out my hair. During the process I could CLEARLY see my hair getting lighter, and after rinsing my hair was almost back to the light blonde. It was a tiny bit darker, but I actually loved it because I didn't like how blonde it was before anyway. It ended up being closer to my natural shade, so after that, all I had to do was dye the roots, no more bleaching! A couple of days ago I decided to try red again, and it barely took, so I went out and got another bot of this stuff. My hair is even longer now and it was still enough. The red dye left my hair a little orange, unlike the brown dye, but it pretty much got it all out. In both instances, I used it within 48 hours of dying my hair. My hair did end up feeling dry, but that is to be expected, and you should always use lots and lots of deep conditioner. Especially when you are putting your hair through so much! Anyway, this stuff is great to keep as a backup plan. It's a small price to pay for undoing your mistake.

I've been dyeing my hair for about 17 yrs now and only see my natural color when my roots come in. I've tried every shade imaginable (aside from pinks & blues, etc, I'm not that wild). If you look in my profile you'll see my most recent (i.e. past few years) look--dark dark brown. Well, about 4 weeks ago....I had made a foray into blue black and hated how it aged me. I'd been toying with the idea of using this stuff I saw at Rite Aid to remove the dye, but like I mentioned, I was nervous cuz I've been dyeing it for 17 years now, pretty consistently. Lots of dye built up in there, ya know? And my hair is looong...down to the middle of my back, and fine, and straight.
Well...Whoo hoo!! I just got out the shower and my hair has reverted to a slightly more red version of my natural reddish brown. All of it has reverted, not just the roots (which I was afraid of). I am so very impressed.
So..the moral of the story is: When you have a color boo boo, try this stuff (Regular strength is $10, extra strength is $13). The smell is hideous (I like other reviewers references to old broccoli & burnt cat) but turn on a fan so you don't asphyxiate and you should be fine.
I'm liking this coppery-brown shade, but I may decide in a day or 2 to adjust it. Just not black or blue-black, ever again. I'm too old for the Morticia look.
Would repurchase.

on 7/23/2007 4:45:00 PM

Wow - I am seriously blown away at how well this worked. I am so freaked about frying my hair after years of color and highlighting gone wrong and this was awesome. IMPORTANT: I did a bunch of online research about this before using it and it's critical to know that if you have lightened hair, this is not going to work as well as if you just darken your hair. If you have lightened your hair, then you've removed pigment and you are going to get orange/white color as a result. I have only darkened my medium/dark brown hair to black and it removed all the black color perfectly (I've been coloring it dark fo years). I was always told that black was impossible to get out and really wanted to go back to my natural color. This did it in one application.

Regarding the smell, I just kept the fan on my bathroom on and it was fine.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I seen this stuff in a Rite Aid in my area when I was purchasing hair color months ago. I figured it would great to have in case of an emergency. I dyed my hair today a medium brown, which turned BLACK. Thankfully I had bought this when I did. I used this within an hour of coloring my hair.

It removed most, if not all, of the bad color...but it also lightened it which is why this only gets a 3 in the overall rating. Even though it did take out the bad color it did lighen it and it wasn't suppose to.

The condition of my hair is alright. It's not ruined like it would be with bleach. Which is always a good thing especially with really long hair like mine.

I will buy more of this product to keep on hand in case other bad dye job occurs. It did it's job and I'm happy about that.

on 5/22/2007 12:13:00 AM

After a color glaze gone very wrong I was terrified that my shiny medium/dark brown hair was going to be a flat purply black forever. I did some searching online and found out that this product was available at a drugstore right down the street. I ran out for it and hoped for the best. I followed the directions exactly and 20 minutes later my hair was back to normal. It worked like magic. My hair was even soft and shiny again. I had feared that it would turn some terrible color and feel like straw but my hair was happy again!

I took off a lippy for the smell, which my boyfriend jokingly referred to as burnt cat. It's not an attractive smell at all...very chemically repulsive. Also, after shaking the two solutions together it fizzed and came out of the applicator bottle with such force that some was lost, and they don't give you that much to begin with. But I am very happy with my $13 purchase since I was fearing a very expensive salon fix.

For the record, my hair had highlights which are now the same color as when I started, my natural color is the same, and I used it within 4 hours of coloring (yes, it really was that bad!!!).