Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.9

on 2/3/2008 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

i have been using this for a few months now, and i definitely see a huge difference in my acne. i also added alpha hydrox 10% gel to my morning routine, which caused purging at first, but now things are calm, and breakouts are greatly reduced. it's a multi-faceted approach for me, including boscia clear complexion cleanser and toner (which i add tea tree oil and lavender oil to) twice a day, along with differin at night and AH in the morning. this keeps me about 70% clear. better than nothing!

during highschool i struggled with acne. i had many unsuccesful experiments with over-the-counter products: Clean and Clear, L'Oreal crap, Neutrogena crap, etc. i finally went to the derm and he prescribed Differin with Duac. I wash my face with LUSH fresh farmacy twice a day and apply Differin or Duac every other night for 5X a week. the duac smells like onions after a couple of weeks, and I have to throw it out. but the differin is different. indeed. it's colorless, absorbs easily, and scentless. it's been my skin savior for at least 1 year. i don't feel that i need other acne-products.

if i took better care of my skin (read: drank more water, exercised, stopped picking pimples, ate properly, stopped stressing myself with school, slept HAH -nothappening), then my acne could disappear altogether. but until then, i will depend on differin.

like most acne products, it does dry your skin out. so you should use moisturizer with SPF during the day.

on 9/16/2007 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I was prescribed Differin by my derm to clear some mild, non-inflamed acne (and occasional inflamed chin pimples). It made my skin 10x worse within the first two weeks. It gave me inflamed red bumps all over my chin, which never went away for the entire 2 months I was using Differin. I didn't start to improve until I went off Differin and started going to an esthetician who specializes in treating acne. I hated this stuff!!!!!

on 2/1/2007 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I originally posted this review under Treatments -> Unlisted Brand -> Differin.

If you have fairly uncomplicated adult (or teen) acne, this may be the right thing for you. In my teenage years, this didn't do much for my skin. (To be fair, I did finally go on Accutane, so my acne at that point was fairly bad.) However, Differin does seem to be keeping my current minor flareups at bay and helps get rid of whatever does pop up. It's also fairly mild, compared to Retin-A formulas, so this could be a good first step into prescription acne medication. In fact, I really wish this was available over the counter. I've used treatments that are over the counter and are much more harsh than this!

I use Differin at night over my entire face perhaps three or four times a week. It doesn't sting my eye area, but I don't get extremely close to that area to begin with. Differin doesn't seem to dry out my face - my face is the same dryness with or without using Differin - or make it more oily. I do find that using a gentle cleanser to remove this works best. If I use Cetaphil (made by Galderma, the same company that makes Differin!) to remove Differin in the morning, it's not very drying. However, if I use Clinique's oily skin liquid cleanser, my face becomes very dry. That is mostly due to the Clinique cleanser, which can be stripping.

I do recommend that if you use Differin, you spread it over your entire face unless you're very sensitive to it. That way you're actually using this product as an acne preventor, as opposed to something that clears up current acne. Differin works OK as a spot treatment, but if you only use it over the same small area night after night, you might experience peeling in that area, causing it to look different from the rest of your face.

Over time, the tube may become brittle. My tube actually popped a hole on one of the creases, so I turned to man's best friend. No, not dogs - duct tape! I'm sure this isn't entirely good for the medication itself, but it certainly did prevent any more loss of this product. I would recommend a different tape or moving the medication to another NON-TRANSPARENT container if this happens to you. continued >>