DIFFERIN Acne Treatment Gel

DIFFERIN Acne Treatment Gel

on 2/10/2008 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using the gel 0.1 for more than a month now. It is great. It is very gentle - no irritation even though I have very sensitive skin, but effective - only occasional pimple but generally I don't have to worry about pimple anymore. What else can you ask for?

on 2/3/2008 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

i have been using this for a few months now, and i definitely see a huge difference in my acne. i also added alpha hydrox 10% gel to my morning routine, which caused purging at first, but now things are calm, and breakouts are greatly reduced. it's a multi-faceted approach for me, including boscia clear complexion cleanser and toner (which i add tea tree oil and lavender oil to) twice a day, along with differin at night and AH in the morning. this keeps me about 70% clear. better than nothing!

on 12/23/2007 7:43:00 PM

I am on the 2nd tube of Differin 0.1% gel. It just makes my skin appear smoother but does not control my acne. I recently went to my doc to ask for a stronger treatment for my acne but he said the Differin takes time and I wasnt consistent with the usage when I was first prescribed the gel. Therefore, I am going to go through the second tube in a more consistent manner and may even use it twice a day. But I doubt it will work, as my skin seems to be used to the gel. Even when I first used it, I didnt really get any flakies.
I cant comment on the price of the gel as I get it free on prescription, but next time I see my GP I will ask for Retin-A, hoping that will control my acne.

during highschool i struggled with acne. i had many unsuccesful experiments with over-the-counter products: Clean and Clear, L'Oreal crap, Neutrogena crap, etc. i finally went to the derm and he prescribed Differin with Duac. I wash my face with LUSH fresh farmacy twice a day and apply Differin or Duac every other night for 5X a week. the duac smells like onions after a couple of weeks, and I have to throw it out. but the differin is different. indeed. it's colorless, absorbs easily, and scentless. it's been my skin savior for at least 1 year. i don't feel that i need other acne-products.

if i took better care of my skin (read: drank more water, exercised, stopped picking pimples, ate properly, stopped stressing myself with school, slept HAH -nothappening), then my acne could disappear altogether. but until then, i will depend on differin.

like most acne products, it does dry your skin out. so you should use moisturizer with SPF during the day.

on 12/6/2007 1:56:00 PM

OMG. This is a life saver for me, no doubt! I had an adult acne problem starting at the end of college, and it got really really bad, with cystic acne. Somedays I didn't want to leave the house, for real. I couldn't find foundation to cover it. My family and friends didn't recognize me. Proactiv was horrible for me. But my derm recommended this and although my skin got a little worse for a few weeks, it cleared up my skin and made it soft and smooth. I am so grateful for this and Cetaphil, I can't say enough.

on 10/14/2007 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After 2 years of using this product I realized that I never reviewed it. My skin is super sensitive and I was concerned about using Differin gel. Generally I use it once a twice a week and a little more often in the summer months when I am oiler. It works great for my skin and helps keep it clearer and the pores look smaller. I do notice that my face looks red in the morning after using it but usually calms down. Just recently I learned on the boards about waiting before putting on moisturizer so that I don't dilute it and it works much better if I don't dilute it but I do get a little drier and more red. I just ordered my second container and am using it for maintenance. People talk about purging but I never noticed it happening to me. And I am using the .1 strength and now the is a .3. Since I am so sensitive, I will stick with the ..1

on 9/16/2007 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I was prescribed Differin by my derm to clear some mild, non-inflamed acne (and occasional inflamed chin pimples). It made my skin 10x worse within the first two weeks. It gave me inflamed red bumps all over my chin, which never went away for the entire 2 months I was using Differin. I didn't start to improve until I went off Differin and started going to an esthetician who specializes in treating acne. I hated this stuff!!!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

differin gel, I love you. You've never irritated my skin, you're colorless, odorless, and practically weightless and dry quickly without feeling heavy or greasy. And after a few months of nightly use, you've cleared up my skin perfectly. My HG retinoid. And I only need a pea size amount. (Ok, a big pea, but still a pea). $30 a tube at inhousepharmacy.com with shipping included, name brand Galderma product. Also at alldaychemist.com under a different name but still by Galderma for $5 per tube, but for a tube half the size, but you pay $25 for flat rate shipping.***********update 12/16/07********* I have since tried other retinoids - diacneal, high potency retinols, retin A gel and cream, and tazorac cream, and nothing is as effective and as gentle as differin gel!! I now know better than to stray from using this. there was an initial purging so be warned. but the results afterwards are so worth it - clear smooth skin. And definitely a decrease in blackheads on my nose! nothing else has ever done that before. The only thing that I dont particularly like is, when I put it and and it dries, it makes my face feel tight. But after an hour or two that feeling goes away. It also goes away if I use a moisturizer, although I dont want to buffer any of the effects, so I usually wait a few hours for that. but its worth it.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Skintype: DSPW
I used Differin mostly for anti-age. Although I use Taz all over my face, my nose doesn't seem to like it. So I thought as Differin is milder, might give it a try. The first few days I noticed improvement: less blackheads, clearer skin, even colour. But later on my nose seem to look more red than usual. So I stopped. I give it 3 lippes because overall this was a good product but it just didn't seem to suit me.

I was prescribed this for my mild acne. It's supposed to make your skin worse before it gets better, but mine just never got better, even after a month or two. I guess this just isn't for me. UPDATE: I actually just started using this again, and it seems to be working better than last time. I didn't really go through much of a purging period, but I'm on week 3, so maybe it will still come.