DIFFERIN Acne Treatment Gel

DIFFERIN Acne Treatment Gel

on 4/19/2019 10:12:00 AM

This is blowing my mind. My cheeks used to be where I put on alot of concealer because it's where I had identations and dark marks. I used Differin because I was having acne mostly on my chin but decided to follow it and put it alll over my face. After a week of use, my cheeks were lighter and the tone is better. The indentations have seemed to lessened like almost non existent. While for the chin acne, Im very pleased as well because It actually is clear now. First time I don't have a painful bump on my chin today. I have used alot of acids and peels to control my acne before but every time another painful bump will pop up on my chin but after using Differin, I haven't felt any painful itchy bump anymore. Whiteheads no longer appear too. The scars and hyperpigmentations have been diminished. Tips for it to work, I think less is more. Just use an oil free facial cleanser and moisturizer with spf. I use clean n clear oil free facial wash and cerave's am moisturizer. I don't put moisturizer at night. My skin can tolerate it. And I guess it works. Thanks Differin.!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

If you suffer from hormonal acne, try this if nothing has worked before going to the big guns. Based on what I’ve researched from infinite resources most acne is hormonal but I’m no scientist so I’ll refrain from stating that as canon. I’m a hound when it comes to information, I like to see both and all sides and the whole shebang before I try or give an opinion. After growing frustrated with what I was realizing was a persistent case of acne on my jaw and the resulting hyperpigmentation from their healing, I decided to try this. I considered just going straight to tretinoin from alldaychemist but I believe in a progressive way to testing things. I had started with all sorts of OTC retinol before getting this with the goal of advancing to a low grade tretinoin and sticking with it for years until slowly upgrading to the mid level and stopping there. This method has helped me immensely and so has this product. I started using it in January of this year, had a small purge the second week of using it and it was gone within two weeks. Since that little purge I haven’t gotten a single pimple during my periods. Not one. I’ve been using a pea sized amount 3x a week every week for the last four months. Or three? I think three.

My forehead wrinkles have also been greatly reduced. So have my laugh lines and trust me I had very pronounced ones. My teeth are my best feature and I’m a goofball so I laugh often. That results in my having some very pronounced nasolabial folds that make my cheeks look like chipmunk cheeks since I still have a full baby fat face. They’re nearly gone. Differin isn’t supposed to be as potent for wrinkles and scars like the original tretinoin, but you could’ve fooled me. Maybe not dramatic or too deep wrinkles perhaps or maybe I’m an anomaly. Now I just look like a chubby cheeked human with baby butt skin. To me baby butt skin is the definition of perfect skin and this thing gave it to me. Mind you I still have slight “freckles” but they’re more like small raised moles, called “dermatosis papulosa nigra”. They’re indeed a hybrid of moles and freckles and quite common in people with a black or African ancestor that had them. Not all black folks, mixed or nay, have them much like not all Asians have slick straight hair. However they too have been minimized to a nearly invisible degree. Now they look like tiny freckles as opposed to slightly larger rounded dots. I’m still not done with my first tube mind you. I bought the big one. But once I finish it I will proceed to the tretinoin.

All I have to say is that despite its stance as a deviation of retinols, it is potent and a very well crafted product. It gets it done and it does FAST. You just have to brave that purge. I can understand why some many people would be horrified by it, since I hated when I’d get my monthly attack of pimples and though they would heal fast I loathed the spots. I grew up having the most clear, well mannered skin until I started experimenting with makeup and having bad lifestyle habits. To me it was like falling into an ocean of ice cold water when my periods brought acne on with a vengeance. However I decided to own up to it and fix it and let me tell you, this fixed it. I use this and the sunscreen frequently. Mind you my nose blackheads refuse to go away but they have minimized to the point that even I with my 20/05 vision (what my doctor calls eagle eye vision) can barely see them from even up close. And before I could see them from afar. Highly recommend as an acne treatment AND as a transition to the higher levels of retinol. Do be prepared with hydrating gels and creams because it can dry your skin or make it flake sometimes.

on 4/7/2019 2:59:00 PM

My derm originally prescribed me a topical with combined tretinoin and clindamycin. However, my insurance wouldn’t cover it so she gave me the alternative of buying Differin and using it in conjunction with prescription clindamycin. I had always been nervous to try Differin because of all the horror stories about purging. I also have extremely sensitive skin. But I was really fed up with closed comedones and moderate acne as an adult, so I decided to try it. Also, the clindamycin is supposed to prevent purging from bacteria.

I have been using Differin every night since mid-January. I didn’t experience ANY purging. I kept waiting for it to come, but my skin just kept getting clearer. Now after about 2.5 months my skin has never been so good. My texture has drastically improved and I rarely get pimples anymore. If I do it’s because I was slacking on my routine, but they’re always small and go away after a day or two. It’s so nice to wake up and not having to worry about the state of my skin. It’s now incredibly smooth, much more even in tone, and really soft.

I’ve read that you don’t have to wait to use Differin after washing your face, but I find that waiting at least 15-20 minutes makes a big difference in effectiveness. I make sure to wash my face early so it has plenty of time to dry before using Differin. I also wait about 15 minutes afterwards to use any other products. After applying Differin I use Trader Joe’s hyaluronic acid serum and squalane oil. I have noticed my skin has become oilier since starting Differin, so I don’t use heavy moisturizers. I’m also on the search for a more matte foundation, since the one I have been using is meant for dry skin.

In short, this product has single-handedly been the most effective treatment for acne and closed comedones. I’m so happy with my skin now and expect to keep using Differin indefinitely. If you’re worried about purging, you might want to see if you can get an rx for clindamycin. I seriously can’t recommend Differin enough.

I've been meaning to review Differin for quite a while now.  I recently realized that Proactiv Md also had an adapalene acne treatment gel available, so I thought I would try that one out and compare the Differin to the Proactiv MD.  I've been using Differin as a breakout preventative for two years (once it became available without a prescription).  I was a little surprised to learn that the Differin and Proactiv MD products were literally identical.  Well, except for the price, Proactive costs $6 more.

Both Differin and Proactiv are owned by the same parent company and made in the same warehouse in Canada.  So, save yourself $6 and purchase the Differin.  BUT if you are new to retinoid products (vitamin a, retinol, Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate, retin-a, tretinotin) PLEASE start out slow!!!  I can't urge this enough.  Use Differin one night, skip two nights, then use it again.  Do this for the first two weeks and then begin skipping one night and work up to daily use.  Also, skip using AHA or BHA's until you've gotten your skin adjusted to Differin.

I love that Differin/ Proactiv MD's adapalene is fragrance free and contains no denatured or dry alcohols.  I'm not very excited that it does contain a paraben, but since I try to limit them in my other skin care products I give it a pass.  The gel absorbs quickly and fit into my skincare routine very easily.    My video review can be seen here:

Differin/ Proactiv MD Full Ingredient List:  Active ingredient: Adapalene 0.1% (retinoid) Inactive ingredients: carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

PSA!!! a motto for this product is if you don’t have the will you won’t get your way! background context (bc this is always so useful to me when i’m trying to compare how products will work with my skin so I got you girl): I am 22 almost 23, I’ve dealt with hormonal, genetic, severe acne for 11 years!! I have combination to oily oily skin. As I have gotten older it has become less aggressive but still very consistent in my EVERYDAY life (I always expected to wake up and have a pimple - sad but true) acne areas: mainly cheeks, chin, occasional forehead, and upper lip review: the key to this product is patience!! I have been using Differin for about 3 months now and let me just say.. I’ve never given a review on a product ever and this is my first time bc I believe in this. I was at a breaking point like I have been many times before.. I have never been to a dermatologist so I decided to give an over the counter product one more try before I took that step and I’m glad I did bc the dermatologist is expensive and I’m on a college budget. This is not to discourage anyone but the purge is real and it is heartbreaking. My skin has consistently had bumps but nothing like it did when it purged.. I cried and I got over it bc I was determined to have clear skin and like they always say “it gets bad before it gets worse” and it’s true. My face blew up (yes I know everyone doesn’t “purge” but mine was very severe) and it was devastating. I did read about purging so I would know what to expect but my skin PURGED like I didn’t know it could. BRIGHT SIDE: After the purge which lasted 2 to 2 1/2 weeks my skin started to clear up slowly. I saw a turn so I continued NIGHTLY to put a pea size on after moisturizer (it helps it spread more easily) then put more moisturizer on after it had dried completely. This is a very drying treatment so if you have dry skin make sure you moisturize!! My skin did get a little flaky so exfoliate gently every other day. As I have continued with Differin my skin has done a 180!! the majority of my face is clear - haven’t seen it like this since birth lol. I still have texture and acne scars that I have to work on but as for acne this product has cleared my skin, except for a few little spots here and there - but still a major improvement! I can gladly say for the first time in 11 years I am on the track to permanently clear skin. Last note: I always thought putting sunscreen on would make my skin more oily and disgusting but it is necessary for the moisture this product takes out of your skin. I put the neutrogena face lotion (sunscreen) with SPF of 70 in the morning before makeup and it doesn’t break out my face. Also! do not use any other acne treatment with this including the small amount of salicylic acid that’s in your face wash (it cancels out the Adapalene in this product which is the retinoid that causes it to be successful). I hope this was helpful for anyone who needs some hope in their fight with acne. xoxo J

I have been using Differin for about 8 months now. My skin is more clear now than I ever imagined was possible. I have had pretty nasty acne since about age 11. Before using Differin, I was able to get a lot of the acne under control by improving my skincare routine, but after the only AHA product that worked for me was discontinued, there was not a single product out there that could battle the closed comedones that were all over my cheeks. I was scared to use Differin because of all the horror stories I read about online, but eventually I got desperate enough to cave in and buy a tube.

I did not experience any purging at all while using this. I noticed a sudden drastic improvement after about 3 weeks of use, and from there my acne gradually faded into nearly nothing. Differin doesn’t 100% prevent breakouts for me, but it completely cleared all of my closed comedones and my breakouts are infrequent and not severe.

During the first few months of use, Differin caused slight dryness and intense sensitivity for me. Most products caused burning on application and I experienced a little bit of flaking. Applying vaseline to sensitive areas before applying Differin is a good way to prevent irritation. After 8 months, my skin is still more dry and sensitive than it ever has been, but it’s not as bad as it was the first few months. A lot of products still burn and my skin needs a lot more hydration/moisturizing than before. But I’m more than willing to deal with it in exchange for clear skin.

If you have acne and feel like you’ve tried everything to get rid of it with no luck, spend the $12 to try this out. I used to not be able to leave the house without a full face of makeup, and now I don’t even own foundation.

on 10/19/2018 8:47:00 AM

So this is a very premature review - I’ve only been using for a week - but I’ve already started to see results! I don’t have terrible acne, but in the last few weeks, my chin has been erupting with really big, deep, painful pimples (I think it’s hormonal??). So off I went to Walmart to find SOMETHING to help. Originally, I was planning on picking up some Neutrogena acne products and a face mask, but I saw the differin gel and decided to give it a try. I had some minor peeling for about two days only, but nothing major. And it started helping! My giant pimples weren’t going away, but they were definitely shrinking! I’m nervous because I’ve heard there’s a major purge period around 2-3 weeks, so I’m crossing my fingers it doesn’t get too bad! In general, my skin is looking a little better though, so I’ve been thrilled! In the mornings when I wash my face (I only use the differin at night), my skin definitely feels more sensitive - the skin around my mouth and nose is a little dry and almost sore (if that makes any sense!), but I just make sure to use tepid water and load up on moisturizer and then I’m fine. I got the larger tube that supposedly will last for about 4-5 months. I’m curious to see how well it works over the next month or so as we head into much colder weather. As long as it keeps clearing my chin, it’ll be a definite repurchase!

on 10/10/2018 8:48:00 PM

A retinoid that now is available OTC in the US, this is a lightweight gel formula of 0.1% adapalene. In the UK it is still prescription only. It is effective for the treatment of mild to moderate acne, acting to settle inflammation, "loosen" sebum plugs, and more effective skin cell turnover. Some people will experience a purge in the first few weeks - I personally didn't, but it is a known issue. As the retinoid acts to normalise skin cell division and turnover, the increased activity can aggravate pores with sebum plugs as they come to the surface. After that, skin noticeably appears clearer and smoother, although it can take weeks for it to reach maximal results.

I use this myself, I'm prone to hormonal acne and oily skin but this has dramatically improved the overall evenness of my skin tone as well as reducing both inflammatory and comedonal acne lesions. First week or so I had to use on alternate nights as I did get some dry, tight and flaky skin, but now I use it daily without issue. I do still get premenstrual breakouts, but lesions are not as inflamed and tenacious as they once were, and I feel the number of lesions overall is reduced.

Of the most commonly used topical retinoids - tretinoin, tazarotene, isotretinoin, and adapalene - adapalene has the weakest effect on fine lines and wrinkles although it does still improve their appearance, Just not as much as tretinoin, so in my opinion this one is best suited for use as an acne treatment rather than as an anti-ageing one. It also has the mildest side effect profile of the lot in terms of skin irritation. Compared to retinol, which must undergo conversion by skin cells into an active form, it has a much more noticeable effect on acne, and is backed up by clinical trials and evidence. I'm really happy with the way this is clearing my face, would recommend this in a heartbeat to anyone with mild-moderate acne. Just make sure you wear sunscreen in the day!

on 9/27/2018 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

After finding this I will not be with out it. Always hav exta tube along with the mositurizer. Spent years and years trying to find something to stop breakouts. Helped more than anything else and I tried it all. Just so happens I am in my 60's and still hav breakouts if I don't use this. It is not harsh and I follow with differin mositurizer. Only products I hav ever stuck with ever.

on 9/25/2018 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Did experience a slight purge in the beginning but they went away days later. Used a pea sized amount every other night for 2 weeks then nightly after that. Im in my mid forties & my skin has never looked better! Bye bye acne!

P/S: DO NOT FORGET to wear a substantial amount of sunscreen in the day. EVERDAY!