Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
 Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.9

on 2/20/2009 10:47:00 AM

I like Differin. I was using Tazorac for the longest time and my skin never seemed to get better, just red, dry, flakey...so my derm put me on this. Obviously the process is slower, but it's so much more gentle. I can use it every night, and it doesn't dry out my skin, but it does help tremendously. I am thinking about moving on to something a bit more potent, but if I don't, I would continue to use Differin.

Edit: Have stopped using it due to pregnancy, and my skin is no different from when I use it...not a good sign, I would have expected it to get worse, but it hasn't, which makes me think Differin wasn't doing much to begin with.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've had moderate, persistent acne for over 15 years; my skin has never been covered in pimples, but it's never without at least a few, and in the severe forms. I fared pretty well with a BHA/BP combo, and was reasonably happy with Diacneal, but I was really, really hoping the move to rx retinoids would be exactly what I needed to be completely clear. Unfortunately, after close to 6 months of religiously using Differin, I have to say it's just not the one for me. My skin can be sensitive, so I have been thrilled with how non-irritating Differin was for me...It never dried me out, never irritated me, never even so much as tingled. But it also never did anything. I purged really badly in the beginning, rode it out because I thought it would get better... And it did get better than the purging stage, but never back to as good as my skin was with just the BHA and BP routine. After months of feeling far worse about my skin while using the product I had such high hopes for, I've given up and returned to BHA and BP (plus Finacea), and things are already looking up.

on 2/6/2009 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have used the gel at the lowest strength at night for 3 months. My skin is glowing it has dramatically helped the acne.

on 11/30/2008 8:22:00 PM

This product is doing wonders for my skin. I have suffered with mild to moderate acne for about three years now and this stuff is amazing. I've been on it for almost two months, and use this every night before I go to bed. The first few weeks were agonizing. My skin was red and inflamed, but it calmed down over time and adjusted to the medication. I used to have horrible breakouts on my cheeks, but now all that's left are red marks. Hopefully those will start to fade soon, but I cannot thank this product enough for stopping my breakouts.

on 10/11/2008 11:07:00 AM

I've struggled with diffuse small red bumps on my chest for years. My face loves proactiv, but this was too irritating for my sensitive chest skin. A dermatologist recommended Differin gel and gave me sample of the 0.1%. It worked miracles!! The bumps were gone and it didn't irritate my skin! The only issue is the price. My insurance won't cover the cost- they say I'm too old! But, I'm willing to shell out the cash to avoid sufferring the alternative.

on 7/23/2008 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Used the 0.1%. Wish this had worked for me since it costs me $130 something! It initially cleared up much of my acne during the first two weeks and then it went downhill. I figured it was the purging stage but after two months, I just got more whiteheads instead, especially around my jawline and my right cheek, and they'll just stick around. Others mention Differin did well for spot treatment but it didn't for me either. Btw, I never flaked or had any irritation associated with it -- I guess it's just not for my skin. Currently using Tretinoin (Retin-A generic) .025 and the whiteheads are decreasing. So I think that if Differin doesn't help by the 2nd month, you should switch out to a different retinoid.

I've only just started using Differin gel 0,1 % about 9 days ago and it's too early to talk about serious results.I'm going to keep updating my review once in a while or if I see changes. I have acne prone combination sensitive skin and normally have mostly blackheads and whiteheads, no serious cysts or anything,if only during that time of the month.
Differin then...I haven't experienced any peeling or dry or red skin, because I moisturise religiously every morning and in the evening 1 hour after applying Differin. I can't say yet that it has done much to my pore size or blackheads,maybe they look a bit clearer or maybe I'm imagining it!It's too early for results anyway I think. I know you have to be patient with this kind of creams. I do have an initial breakout that appeared about 7 days after starting with Differin and is mostly located on one side on the jawline.I guess it's a sign that it's doing it's job and pulling the dirt out, but I'm really tempted to quit,because I didn't have so many spots before I started the treatment. I will keep on it though,I hope this is not going to go on very long and I'll see some improvement. I also use Dalacin-T-liquid antibiotic in the morning now to treat the spots Differin gives me.
I normally wash my face 2x a day with Eucerin 5% Urea wash,which is made for dry skin,but it is perfect for me,because I need a gentle non-drying wash and also with all those acne-medicines you need to have other products which are really soft.It doesn't make me break out,but cleanses very well and doesn't dry my skin. Then I tone with Guinot toner and apply spf 30 moisturiser for day and in the night I use almond or grapeseed natural oils,which are good for acne-prone skin.
I put 3 lippies,because I can't really tell the right rating yet,but will update soon!
UPDATE:I have used it now for nearly 2 months,I can't really say that my pore size has shrunk and I still get clogged pores,though I have a very proper regime of cleaning every day.My skin has become thinner I can tell that much and it's a bit sensitive sometimes.Overall I haven't had big irritation or peeling,and the initial breakout went away pretty fast too.I will use it up to 3 or 4 months and if there is no difference then I'll probably quit,because that should be enough time to see some results.
UPDATE:I stopped using it after a bit more than 2 months.I did not see any difference in my pore size or the amount of clogged pores, but my skin became very sensitive and I didn't like that feeling.I had my eyebrows waxed the other day too,under the eyebrows where I never put differin gel and the skin came all off, it hurt like hell. That's how sensitive it made my skin,even around those areas where I wasn't using it.So I think it's not the solution for me unfortunately.

on 4/25/2008 10:50:00 PM

ive been using differin .1 gel for less than a year and i love it! i finally went to the derm after suffering with acne for seven years. although i cant credit differin with clearing up actual acne (i can thank my birth control for that!!) differin did help with my post acne red marks. i had TONS of them alllll over my face. it was almost as bad as having the actual pimples. my derm gave me this and within two months the red marks faded SO much! they werent completely gone but better. however at that time , that was good enough for me. i just started to pay more attention to my skin esp. with summer coming up and started to use this to fade my marks even more and hopefully have them disappear. they're super stubborn so im gonna try my best to be patient with these. but in the past differin has worked amazingly. i also only pay about 30 bucks for this which isnt bad. oh yeah - it also basically gets rid of an actual pimple like overnight -- no, seriously. put it on before bed and what could've been the biggest thing in the world- its barely there. LOVE this stuff! try it and be patient! ill def update in a few weeks.

on 3/30/2008 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Love this product. I have oily, sensitive skin that is easily prone to breakouts (typically whiteheads and blackheads). I have been using this consistently for about 9 months with great results-- no longer get whiteheads and blackheads around nose are gone (saw improvement after 5 days). My pores also look smaller. I didn't get the purging that others experienced. But my skin is not naive to variety of products since I was a teen, including retin-A (haven't used in >10yrs), benzamycin (use very rarely), AHA/BHA (consistent), mechanical exfoliants (consistent), microdermabrsion (not consistent), facials (not consistent). I have noticed no breakouts when I use this consistently every night and no longer feel like I need microdermabrasion/facials!! You have to use with a moisterizer afterwards (best to wait 3-5 minutes before applying to allow differin to absorb) or else will get peeling, flaking, and dry skin (and this is coming from someone who has all-around very oily skin!). And definitely use sunscreen during the day. I had to stop using differin for a couple of days b/c of flaking and brokeout the next day! Once I restarted, pimples gone by next morning. Wonderful product!

on 3/28/2008 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

im 13 years old, and using this at night while using (eryacne) a different product in the mornings. My GP prescribed this for my acne which i seem to have all over my face. She said it will most likely get worse before it gets better. i've been using this for awhile and it at first it got sooo bad i was embarrassed to show my face at school. few months later my acne is there. a bit of a clear up but nothing dramatic. i have to finish my prescription before i go back but i think this will do the trick if i continue for the next 4-5 months. i do recommend to try if you are an acne sufferer. best of luck