Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
 Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.9

on 4/16/2014 8:38:00 AM

I used this product several years ago for about 3 straight years with religious nightly use. It does cause an increase in break-outs at first, like it's supposed to, as it is "cleaning out" your pores and causing the eruptions to come to the surface quickly. In some ppl, it's 12 weeks until they see good results. I don't remember how long it was back then until I got my results but when I did my skin was perfect or near perfect. I stopped using it for a few years and now my skin, for various reasons, is really problematic again. I have started using this as of five weeks ago and I just started the phase where everything is erupting like crazy again. I read that clindamicin phos topical and differin work very well together. In fact, applying clindamicin 3-5 min after differin potentiates the effectiveness of the clindamicin. Also, clindamicin starts working immediately. So I am partnering the two for a short-term period to get through the initial break-out phase of the differin. You might ask, why just short-term? If they work so well together, then why not use them like that continuously? Because clindamycin is an antibiotic and like all antibiotics the bacteria on the skin will develop a resistance to the product and you will not be able to use that product effectively again. I will update to let you know how this works for me.
Also, I use Perricone Blue Plasma as a nightly leave-on gentle chemical peel to help slough off the dead cells quickly. My skin has NEVER been so soft.
So it's differin, wait 4 min, clindamicin top., then Blue Plasma every night. During the day I just let my skin breath with no product. Occasionally I wear cover stay make up. And I use Clairsonic with a salicylic acid cleanser.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This is what I spent literally a decade waiting for.
My skin history: severe and constant pustular acne since age 14. Extreme blackheads that would not respond to BHA, glycolic peels, the peeling effect of persagel10, the clarisonic etc etc. Very poor cell turnover rate and hence a lot of congestion, dehydration and tons of surface oil covering a sensitised surface.
Fun right? I cracked a few months ago after undergoing 4 expensive glycolic peels at the best private dermatology clinic did more harm than anything. I'd tried every AHA, BHA and antibiotic, the only option left (according to my new derm who prescribed me the differin) was a topical retinoid or accutane. She prescribed a high-dose (600mg) of Trimethoprim to clear up the acne systematically and quickly because I was scarring badly. . . and this. Glorious, powerful Differin. She handed me the prescriptions and said if these didn't work to completely clear it up, in four months I needed to come back for roaccuntane. To quote her, ''no one should ever have to walk around with a face like that''- it should tell you the state my skin was in after a ten year failed battle.
The differin makes your skin worse initially. I already felt so ugly I couldn't have cared less. It made my blemishes much more angry and so red that layers of colorstay couldn't hope to even remotely conceal them, = but I honestly didn't notice a major purge, maybe the antibiotics prevented this. Within *three weeks*, 90%+ of my acne had disappeared. It's now been 2 months, and I haven't had a single blemish. Not a single one. My skin texture is smooth, the blackheads on my nose are gone, my tzone pores are still big but never swollen and clogged. My complexion is brighter and healthy. I actually look younger. The only evidence of my ten year acne suffering is three leftover scars, two on my forehead and one on my cheek. I am currently applying Trilogy rosehip 2x a day, but am considering buying Obagi's melamix (4% hydroquinone), to speed up the healing process.
Differin has given me confidence that I genuinely haven't had since pre-puberty. I can go out of the house with no makeup. I've even gone to parties and nights out with no base or any sort of blemish concealer. I truly recomend this to anyone with congestion and/or acne. I am also grateful as I have consequently researched retinoids and their unparalleled benefits. My intention is to progress to .3% differin in a few years, then a stronger retinol to help with ageing. I even wear SPF every day now, something I would never have attempted beforehand with my volatile skin. Ergo, the differin's also led to me taking new pride in my skincare.
Life-changing.

My routine, in case it helps someone suffering.
AM: wash with mdformulations cleanser (AHA)
follow with persagel 10 to entire face
follow with Neutrogena sheer dry touch spf 45
spot treat 3 scars with Trilogy rosehip oil

PM: wash with same cleanser
apply Differin .1% to entire face
Usually follow with patting in Trilogy rosehip oil. I love how Differin has enabled me to get away with using a face oil, it feels so nourishing and I have no greaseball face the next morning.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I've been using Differin gel 0.3% for years. Life saver for anyone w/adult acne. Please try this. Doesn't irritate. Very gentle, yet incredibly effective.

on 1/30/2014 8:39:00 PM

I don't have insurance and this product cost $600!!!! I tried sample from my dermatologist and this stuff is like magic!! It clears you up over night!!!! Absolutely LOOOOOVE this product!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have only been using this for about 2 weeks. I have noticed initial purging as I have been getting more spots but it is hard to tell if my peripd is affecting my skin too. I have been told it makes your skin very sensitive to the sun so always wear sunscreen after you have used this. Last night I put it on and today I went into a strong salt pool and my face burn

I have been using this product on and off for a few years now. When I first started using it my skin went through a very dry and red patch. But, thankfully, the initial "purging" stage wasn't so bad...in fact i don't think I really went through a purging stage. Mostly just dryness.

That being said, I noticed an immediate difference after using this. Almost instantly my skin felt smoother. The following days I was amazed and very hopeful. However, that's about all this product really has going for it if you ask me. It makes my skin very smooth, but hasn't done anything to help my acne.

The only reason I continue to use this is because it is covered by my health plan. Otherwise, I would laugh at the idea. It is ridiculously expensive without insurance or a health plan.

on 6/2/2013 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I am 24 years old and have been dealing with hormonal acne since I was about 13. My acne was controlled in high school and college on Spironolactone. In college, I weaned off the meds, but my acne returned about a year ago. I am back on the Spiro, and my derm prescribed Differin .1% gel about a month ago. At this point, most of my inflamed, hormonal acne is gone. I wanted the Differin because I have lots of clogged pores, tiny little bumps, hyperpigmentation, and just dull looking skin. Anyway, I've been using the differin for about a month. The first week, I went all in and used it four nights in a row. Needless to say, my skin was irritated and peeling. I have now been using it every other night and it's been working pretty well. I apply it at night after washing my face, and then I apply my CeraVe PM lotion on top. I wake up in the morning with dewy, smooth, glowing skin. I still have hyperpigmentation from previous acne marks and I do still have lots of clogged pores, but I'm hoping the Differin will help with that in time. I have heard that it can take 8-12 weeks to really see results. I did not get an initial breakout on my face, but I did apply the differin to my shoulders (I have some old acne scarring and some little pimples), and it caused me to break out. Hopefully that clears up soon. Differin was 100% covered by my insurance ($0!!) so I will definitely continue to refill this prescription.

on 5/2/2013 12:28:00 PM

I'm 28 and I've had acne since I was a teenager. I've used differin on and off again throughout my adult life, but now I don't know why I ever went off it. Recently, my acne started getting so bad so I went back to my doctor and he gave me another prescription for diffferin gel .1%. For me, generic medication is $10 with my insurance so that was fine.

I've been on differin for the last 8 weeks, and the initial breakouts were terrible. I was soooo depressed about it and very frustrated but I kept reading online how this will happen and you just have to be patient with this product. So I kept going, even though my face looked unbelievably awful and there was no way I could go a day without wearing makeup.

Finally, this last week I have started to see some serious improvements. No new breakouts and my acne scars seem to be healing a bit. I also added over the counter benzoyl peroxide in the morning to help. My skin is a bit dry, but whatever. I'll take dry skin over acne any day.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much more my skin improves in the next 2-4 months. I would definitely recommend this product but only if you are looking for a long-term solution. The 4-12 weeks you have to wait to see changes can seriously feel like a life time.

on 4/7/2013 7:50:00 PM

I've been using this about two months now and I'm still holding out for results. It's free as I live in UK so I think I may as well keep going for a while longer. I have cystic acne and it has definitely gotten worse since I've started using this. I had been on the pill for years previously which had controlled it, but since stopping my 33 year old skin has turned teenage : ( i had hoped by now i would be seeing serious results. have had no side effects either mind you. i do kinda think this may be the darkness before the dawn -skin is definitely getting smoother and spots smaller. Don't fail me Differin!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I like the gel over the lotion because i feel that it is more effective at treating acne and gets deeper into the pores. It can be very harsh on the skin when first starting but over a few months these side effects with subside. I use Kiss my Face cleanser which is natural and gentle and helps soothe irritated skin. I have been using for 6 weeks and have seen 50% improvement in my breakouts and acne scars.