Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.9

on 8/4/2016 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I've used this product intermittently for years. I have combo skin, acne prone. My doctor prescribed this for me because I had no success with antibiotics (oral/topics), OCP, benzyl peroxide (limited success) or glycolic acid/AHA/BHA et etc.

It's expensive, more than $50 a tube.

To be completely honest, I haven't noticed it changing the appearance of my pores. It's hard to say with the quality my skin because I always wear a ridiculous amount of sunscreen anyway and since my teens I have been using high end skin products as a preventative measure. I'm also not entirely sure it helps with my acne, but it's something I use because I get desperate when nothing works.

I have restarted taking this again because currently my acne has become completely intractable.

I'm on the fence on whether to repurchase this or not. It's another tool for me before considering Roaccutane. Anyway, I suppose this might help you, and it might be worthwhile testing out. I just wish I could give a more definitive answer.

on 6/3/2016 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm on Differin 5 days. Used it 3 times, 2 days gap. At 4th day my skin started peeling a little and my mistake- started using it in summer. So Differin+sun=buuurn!!! It fu**ing burns. :DDD No redness. There is no new pimples by using gel only 3 times. Will continue treatment when it will be cloudy weather.

Update:
I'm using gel only once a week and it is more than enough for me. After 2 days skin starts drying and peeling. Can't use make up because of dry patches. Few times got red painful burns but Panthenol cream helps with this.
Pimples are nearly gone and scars are faiding.
Be really careful with sun exposure!!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This has really cleared up my skin. After five months of use I still get zits, but they are nowhere like what they used to be. Differin was especially good at clearing out the whiteheads that refused to go away around my mouth, chin, and forehead. I used Differin over an organic herbal facial oil (evanshealy) at night and I found that combination to be moisturizing and calming. I did get quite a bit of redness and flakiness during the beginning, but it went away after about 2 weeks. Overall I recommend this medicine.

Here comes a little update... last time I wrote that I freakin love this product but unfortunately dont anymore. At first it removed all of my pimples and I was so happy to have found a product like that but a few months after using it it just stopped working. I didn't change any skincare or makeup products. Hate this atm...

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Worked really well for fading acne scars and reducing its redness. My skin purged when I started using this but after a couple weeks I noticed a lot of improvements!

I am on my 2nd bottle of Differin because it's also great for improving texture, prevent wrinkles, and helps overall appearance of skin.

Fortunately, I am covered by insurance so I would definitely use again

on 5/29/2014 9:15:00 AM

I'm glad this helps some people, but it didn't work at all for me. I had a massive, continuous breakout after taking Plan B (so, hormonal acne) and this didn't do anything but make my skin redder, itchier, drier, and flakier, on top of cysts that continued to erupt. I will acknowledge that this made my skin go from 4~5 new pimples a day to maybe 1~2. But, still, the flakiness made my face look even worse than it'd looked before. I pushed through for two whole months before realizing that my whole face constantly looked like it'd been burned, there would be clumps of dead skin hanging off my face by noon, and it just wasn't worth it anymore.

I now follow a more natural skincare/acne-care routine, which has drastically reduced my hormonal acne. I never put chemicals on my face anymore, partly because of my experience with this gel. For THREE WEEKS after I stopped using it COMPLETELY, the itchiness/dryness/flakiness/all-around irritatedness did not go away, and I started flaking on my chest and arms as well. This really scared me, because it was obvious that the Differin had really, really affected my whole body, not just my skin. I guess it's true what they say to be careful what you put on your skin, it really does get absorbed into your bloodstream.

on 5/9/2014 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I got this from my GP 1,5 year ago. and it worked really good for me! not everything was gone but it was much better! I only used it at night and washed it of in de mornings with water. But then it became summer and I got sunburns all the time. I stopped using it and my skin stayed really good but now It has never been worse so I'm thinking of using it again but it's becoming summer and I don't know if it's a good idea..

on 4/30/2014 3:58:00 PM

This stuff is a life saver! I got prescribed this about 5 months ago and it has completely changed my skin. The first couple months are rough, there's an initial break out and a lot of flaking since it deeply exfoliates. A lot of people that gave the product bad reviews were only using it for a couple weeks (it peaks at three months), it has to get worse before it gets better, like many other acne medications. The flakiness was the worst for me because I work in cosmetics and it made my foundation look terrible, but it was definitely worth the struggle. The severe acne that I had on my forehead cleared up and I only break out a little bit in a couple spots now. Something to note is that it's only meant to be used at night, the sun deactivates it!

on 4/21/2014 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

ALLELUIA!
I'm finally clear after a year of Hell! Only 2wks ago I was at a new dermatologist appt feeling like Shi* and really depressed over my bright red pizza face. A previous derm had put me on Retin-A gel 2 months prior and my face was a raw, stinging, peeling mess of cysts and rashy bumps. I stayed home as much as possible and kept most of the lights off whenever my hubby was home. Not a fun way to live. But enter wonderful new doctor from heaven! She took one look at my tomato face and said no more Retin-A ever again! It's too harsh for sensitive, rosacea-prone, thin skin like mine. She gave me Locoid lotion for a few days to calm everything down, then Clindamycin in the a.m. and differin at night with cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer. It's only been 2wks, but my skin is almost completely clear, extremely soft and smooth, and not a tomato anymore! It's an Easter miracle! Can you tell I'm excited? LoL
I'm not sure which product is doing the most work, Differin or Clindamycin, so I'm posting this review under both products.

Update**
Differin began to suck the life out of my skin, leaving me parched, red, and broken-out again. Alternating Aczone and Clindamycin currently with better results.

on 4/16/2014 8:38:00 AM

I used this product several years ago for about 3 straight years with religious nightly use. It does cause an increase in break-outs at first, like it's supposed to, as it is "cleaning out" your pores and causing the eruptions to come to the surface quickly. In some ppl, it's 12 weeks until they see good results. I don't remember how long it was back then until I got my results but when I did my skin was perfect or near perfect. I stopped using it for a few years and now my skin, for various reasons, is really problematic again. I have started using this as of five weeks ago and I just started the phase where everything is erupting like crazy again. I read that clindamicin phos topical and differin work very well together. In fact, applying clindamicin 3-5 min after differin potentiates the effectiveness of the clindamicin. Also, clindamicin starts working immediately. So I am partnering the two for a short-term period to get through the initial break-out phase of the differin. You might ask, why just short-term? If they work so well together, then why not use them like that continuously? Because clindamycin is an antibiotic and like all antibiotics the bacteria on the skin will develop a resistance to the product and you will not be able to use that product effectively again. I will update to let you know how this works for me.
Also, I use Perricone Blue Plasma as a nightly leave-on gentle chemical peel to help slough off the dead cells quickly. My skin has NEVER been so soft.
So it's differin, wait 4 min, clindamicin top., then Blue Plasma every night. During the day I just let my skin breath with no product. Occasionally I wear cover stay make up. And I use Clairsonic with a salicylic acid cleanser.