Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.9

on 3/26/2017 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I was searching to add a little more to my skin regimen in regards to retinoid vs BHA as I already use a AHA at night. I was originally going to purchase Sunday Riley UFO for AM use as I love Luna. Then I noticed I can purchase Differin gel OTC. Adapelene is a retinoid that can be use in the AM as it is light stable. Also less likely to cause the skin irritation that Retin-A can cause. I use to use Retin-A in my college years.

After 1 month of use, I love how smooth my skin feels. I mix an equal portion of Differin along with my 2.5% benzoyl peroxide cream (DIY epiduo!) and apply to my face every morning. I feel I makes my BP creme work better. My skin is very clear. Maybe an occasional pimple due to hormonal changes with that time of the month, but otherwise my skin has been perfect.

Cost wise I'm very happy, as my original choice was much more $$$. I purchased it at Sam's club, got 2 tubes for about 30 bucks.

I highly recommend to those struggling with mild to moderate acne and have plateaued with just BP treatments.

on 3/7/2017 10:59:00 PM

Purchased both the cleanser, and gel a little over one month ago. Initially started using both daily. Had a breakout, and severe dry skin within days. Took a break from both for one week. Recovered nicely. Began using cleanser again daily, gel every other day. I moisturize every day with YES to Tomatoes ( an Acne product you can buy at Target), and have not had any reaction to the Differin since I switched my routine.
I have oily, acne prone skin. I have textural issues on my lower cheeks and chin. I'm 42, Caucasian. I get occasional acne that seems to last forever, and will sometimes leave a mark although I do not pick or touch.
Since I've been on the differin routine, I have not experienced one breakout. My acne scars are fading. My pores have gotten smaller. My oil is under control, although not gone. My scarring just seems to be less noticeable. It feels like my skin is slowly turning over. I am that person who looks in the mirror in every different light, who doesn't date because they are afraid of getting caught in that "bad" light. I feel that in the next couple of months, this product could be the slow, but sure change for me. I will update.

on 8/4/2016 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I've used this product intermittently for years. I have combo skin, acne prone. My doctor prescribed this for me because I had no success with antibiotics (oral/topics), OCP, benzyl peroxide (limited success) or glycolic acid/AHA/BHA et etc.

It's expensive, more than $50 a tube.

To be completely honest, I haven't noticed it changing the appearance of my pores. It's hard to say with the quality my skin because I always wear a ridiculous amount of sunscreen anyway and since my teens I have been using high end skin products as a preventative measure. I'm also not entirely sure it helps with my acne, but it's something I use because I get desperate when nothing works.

I have restarted taking this again because currently my acne has become completely intractable.

I'm on the fence on whether to repurchase this or not. It's another tool for me before considering Roaccutane. Anyway, I suppose this might help you, and it might be worthwhile testing out. I just wish I could give a more definitive answer.

on 6/3/2016 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm on Differin 5 days. Used it 3 times, 2 days gap. At 4th day my skin started peeling a little and my mistake- started using it in summer. So Differin+sun=buuurn!!! It fu**ing burns. :DDD No redness. There is no new pimples by using gel only 3 times. Will continue treatment when it will be cloudy weather.

Update:
I'm using gel only once a week and it is more than enough for me. After 2 days skin starts drying and peeling. Can't use make up because of dry patches. Few times got red painful burns but Panthenol cream helps with this.
Pimples are nearly gone and scars are faiding.
Be really careful with sun exposure!!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This has really cleared up my skin. After five months of use I still get zits, but they are nowhere like what they used to be. Differin was especially good at clearing out the whiteheads that refused to go away around my mouth, chin, and forehead. I used Differin over an organic herbal facial oil (evanshealy) at night and I found that combination to be moisturizing and calming. I did get quite a bit of redness and flakiness during the beginning, but it went away after about 2 weeks. Overall I recommend this medicine.

Here comes a little update... last time I wrote that I freakin love this product but unfortunately dont anymore. At first it removed all of my pimples and I was so happy to have found a product like that but a few months after using it it just stopped working. I didn't change any skincare or makeup products. Hate this atm...

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Worked really well for fading acne scars and reducing its redness. My skin purged when I started using this but after a couple weeks I noticed a lot of improvements!

I am on my 2nd bottle of Differin because it's also great for improving texture, prevent wrinkles, and helps overall appearance of skin.

Fortunately, I am covered by insurance so I would definitely use again

on 5/29/2014 9:15:00 AM

I'm glad this helps some people, but it didn't work at all for me. I had a massive, continuous breakout after taking Plan B (so, hormonal acne) and this didn't do anything but make my skin redder, itchier, drier, and flakier, on top of cysts that continued to erupt. I will acknowledge that this made my skin go from 4~5 new pimples a day to maybe 1~2. But, still, the flakiness made my face look even worse than it'd looked before. I pushed through for two whole months before realizing that my whole face constantly looked like it'd been burned, there would be clumps of dead skin hanging off my face by noon, and it just wasn't worth it anymore.

I now follow a more natural skincare/acne-care routine, which has drastically reduced my hormonal acne. I never put chemicals on my face anymore, partly because of my experience with this gel. For THREE WEEKS after I stopped using it COMPLETELY, the itchiness/dryness/flakiness/all-around irritatedness did not go away, and I started flaking on my chest and arms as well. This really scared me, because it was obvious that the Differin had really, really affected my whole body, not just my skin. I guess it's true what they say to be careful what you put on your skin, it really does get absorbed into your bloodstream.

on 5/9/2014 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I got this from my GP 1,5 year ago. and it worked really good for me! not everything was gone but it was much better! I only used it at night and washed it of in de mornings with water. But then it became summer and I got sunburns all the time. I stopped using it and my skin stayed really good but now It has never been worse so I'm thinking of using it again but it's becoming summer and I don't know if it's a good idea..

on 4/30/2014 3:58:00 PM

This stuff is a life saver! I got prescribed this about 5 months ago and it has completely changed my skin. The first couple months are rough, there's an initial break out and a lot of flaking since it deeply exfoliates. A lot of people that gave the product bad reviews were only using it for a couple weeks (it peaks at three months), it has to get worse before it gets better, like many other acne medications. The flakiness was the worst for me because I work in cosmetics and it made my foundation look terrible, but it was definitely worth the struggle. The severe acne that I had on my forehead cleared up and I only break out a little bit in a couple spots now. Something to note is that it's only meant to be used at night, the sun deactivates it!