Omega 3 supplement

Omega 3 supplement
Omega 3 supplement Omega 3 supplement

4.1

I've been using Omega 3 for three weeks. Im taking Nature Made and the results has been really good especially for my skin (i take 4 times a day). The pores on my nose appear smaller and my skin smoother. I use to take birth control pills which made my skin really bad with huge acne on my cheeks and chin which became painful. I got off the pills and after two weeks my acne hadn't healed yet. So I started taking these and my face is clear. I have a nice glow and I love it! I havent notice anything dramatic with my hair and nails yet but I will definitely update after a couple months on that.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

my sister -in-law is a registered dietician and knows about vitamins. she also recommends taking borage-flax-fish oils. borage oil is filtered before becoming a capsule. it is anti inflamatory and diabetics use it. gamma linolenic acid in borage oil is more important versus fish oil. fish oil can cause rashes. my vitamins comes from eckerds.

on 2/7/2008 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I don't know this for fact, so do some research on it if you are interested, but I have heard (I work in a vitamin store....so I probably should know for fact :) ), but if you are acne-prone, taking Omega 6 pills (or the Omega 3-6-9) can actually aggrevate acne, so stick to Omega 3 fish oil.

BTW, I take Vitamin World brand Omega 3 Fish Oil in 1000 mg doses. Wonderful for hair, nails, skin, heart health, circulatory system, you name it.

on 2/5/2008 6:40:00 PM

Fyi- I was looking up the ingredients in Borage Oil and it should be (Herbicide and Pesticide-Free). Herbcide can cause rashes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbicide#Health_effects

"Some herbicides can cause a variety of health effects ranging from skin rashes to death. The pathway of attack can arise from intentional or unintentional direct consumption of the herbicide , improper application resulting in the herbicide coming into direct contact with people or wildlife, inhalation of aerial sprays, or food consumption prior to the labeled pre-harvest interval."

I hope this helps someone who is experiencing rashes from taking Omega pills.

I'll start by saying that fish oil pills have really improved the condition of my nails. They have always been strong, but now they grow extremely fast and look wonderful - no hangnails.
The reason I started taking fish oil pills, however, was for my skin. Unfortunately I can't tell if they are helping or hurting my skin as it is still breaking out. I've decided to try to only use products that contain natural ingredients or ingredients that are classified as non-comedogenic and non-irritating. This list has been very helpful to me when choosing products:

I have stopped taking fish oil pills and will update if I notice any difference in my skin.

UPDATE: Saw my sister this weekend (who has always been blessed with nice skin - very rarely any breakouts), and she made the comment that she hadn't had time to use foundation that morning. I was shocked because her skin looked even more amazing than usual. She told me that she had been taking B5 supplements, cod liver pills and fish oil pills. Since I am in the process of my skincare "experiment" I'm not jumping to try anything else, but it's definitely something to keep in mind for the future.

UPDATE #2: My skin is already looking much better since I stopped the fish oil. I have also been using benzoyl peroxide nightly because I was desperate to clear up my skin fast. If my skin continues to clear I do not think I will add the fish oil pills back into my skincare routine.

on 1/31/2008 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

In response to bandabug's post, I also have had a strange rash on my neck on and off for about 7 months. It never occurred to me that the omega oils might be to blame!

I take them because they seem to help with my acne-prone skin. Next time, I'll be careful to observe what happens when I take this pill by Jamieson, the omega 3-6-9. Thanks for pointing this out.

Update Dec 4 2010- I now use Nutra-Sea (omega 3) with vitamin D. My naturopath and chiropractor both recommended it. After 3 months of semi-daily use, I have had no negative reactions to it.

on 1/16/2008 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

These are very helpful videos on Omega 3.

Why you need Nordic Omega 3 fish oils (1-5).

Choosing the right omega 3 oil

I will update this.

More info: What are the side effects of fish oil supplements?

Fish oil supplements are dietary supplements that contain oil from cold water fish such as mackerel, salmon, black cod, albacore tuna, sardines, and herring. The active ingredients in fish oil supplements are essential fatty acids known as omega-3 fatty acids. They typically include eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
The most commonly reported side effects of fish oil supplements include fishy odor on the breath, upset stomach, and greasy stools. A more serious side effect can be an increase in LDL-cholesterol, a harmful form of cholesterol. Large doses of fish oil supplements may also cause weight gain and decrease the absorption of vitamins A, E, D, and K from the stomach. If you have diabetes, use caution when taking fish oil supplements, as they’ve been known to increase blood sugar.

Cod liver oil should not be used as a fish oil supplement because it contains very high levels of vitamin A. High doses of vitamin A can cause headache, dry skin, itching, and liver damage.

References:Fasching, P. "Fish Oil Supplementation Versus Gemfibrozil Treatment in Hyperlipidemic NIDDM. A Randomized Crossover Study," Hormonal and Metabolic Research 28 (1996).Gray, D.R. "Fish Oil As An Adjuvant in the Treatment of Hypertension," Pharmacotherapy 16 (1996).

I have been using Nature's Made Omega 3 fish oil pills along with B12 and I do have to say that my nails and hair are growing out of control.
I have not had any breakouts, besides my monthly one's, nor have I seen a vast improvement in my skin. But for the fact that my nails grow strong ang beautifully along with my hair and the health benefits I will continue to take these.

on 1/9/2008 8:11:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have to share what happened to me once I began taking fish oil pills. I bought them because I have very thin, weak nails and fine, lackluster hair -- I figured the fish oil would give both a boost. After a few weeks of taking the pills as directed on the bottle, my hair, skin and nails actually showed some improvement and I was very pleased. Fast forward another month, I develop weird itchy hive-like rashes on my neck and arms. I NEVER get rashes; I don't have sensitive skin. I didn't change anything else in my routine aside from the addition of fish oil. It took me awhile to put 2 and 2 together. Finally, I stopped taking the pills. My symptoms disappeared and my skin returned to normal very quickly. Has anyone else had this experience with fish oil? I wasn't taking large doses or anything, therefore I hesitate to recommend them to anyone based on my experience.

on 1/8/2008 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

i've been taking the nordic naturals brand fish oil pills for over 3 months now and i'm very happy! my main reason for starting fish oil pills was to help with my severe pms and help ease hormonal breakouts.....and i feel this has indeed helped. i have never had any fish burps from this brand either. also this is the only brand i've tried. i take 2/day with meals, which is a serving size, and this provides 690 mg of omega 3s. my chin/jaw has suffered a lot from hormonal breakouts and these little gems have really helped control them nicely. as for pms...i think it has helped some. my nails have always been fine, so i can't really see a difference in them, nor with my hair really....it's pretty healthy anyway. but since my breakouts have lessened in severity a lot, i will continue taking these! a one month supply of this brand costs about $14 at whole foods. you can also buy a bigger jar and save some $.

Popular Other Products