CLINIQUE Brush-on cream liner in TRUE BLACK

CLINIQUE Brush-on cream liner in TRUE BLACK
Brush-on cream liner in TRUE BLACKBrush-on cream liner in TRUE BLACKBrush-on cream liner in TRUE BLACKBrush-on cream liner in TRUE BLACK

4.4

isododecane, cyclopentasilosane, polyethylene, barium sulfate, trimethylsiloxysillicate, disteardimonium hectorite, propylene carbonate, lecithin, phenyl trimethicone, ethylehexylglycerin, hydrogenated polyisobutene, methicone. May contain: mica, iron oxides, carmine, titanium dioxide, yellow 5 lake, ultramarines, manganese violet, chromium oxide greens, bismuth oxychloride, ferric ferrocyanide, blue 1 lake, chromium hydroxide green.

I was really hoping that this would end my search for the perfect gel eyeliner but I was wrong. It wasn't horrible, but I will not be repurchasing. I liked that it lasted all day, it even hung on through a nap. It also didn't transfer on my eyelids or under-eyes. It is very creamy and did not seem to dry up in the pot (the reason why I don't stick to mac's blacktrack, it gets drier and drier in the pot and eventually tugs when I apply it). I did not like that because it was so creamy it would kind of streak when I applied it, so I would have to put on one "coat" then another to fill in the streaks. The main reason why I don't like it is because it looks more like a muted or washed out black and I like my eyeliner to be really black. As for the brush, its okay in a pinch. I used it just to try it out and it worked, but it made a thicker line and I prefer my own brushes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This is not a bad eyeliner. The SA told me that it wouldn't fade off - she tried it on my hand and that baby wouldn't budge! She also said it could be used on the waterline. I'm not sure about that though. Anyway, here are my observations:

- It's a bit clumpy and dries easily which can make it difficult to apply. I actually prefer more liquid liners such as the Laura Mercier one which is a powder cake that you have to wet, though that one has other problems. I've reviewed that as well.

- The brush is useless, don't even bother. For one thing, it's too short.

- Now, as far as lasting effect is concerned, it didn't last as long as it did on my hand, probably because my eyelids are super greasy. And when it starts smudging, it looks horrific because it's quite heavily pigmented.

If you don't have oily lids and can keep your fingers off your eyes, it's not a bad product and will last forever. It's good for thick lines and dramatic looks. I now use it to intensify my pencil eyeliner for a deeper and longer-lasting line.

on 6/13/2012 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Pros: Very rich pigmentation (a deeper black than my Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner). Very smooth and creamy consistency, applies like butta', which also makes it good for smudgy, smoky eye looks.

Cons: Takes a while to dry and set due to the creaminess. I am used to the drier consistency of my Bobbi Brown eyeliner, so I found it a bit annoying if I happened to accidentally smudge a line. (Again, however, this makes it good for certain looks). Also, this doesn't last past a few hours on me. Granted, I have very oily lids, but the smudging is just ridiculous on me, and I end up with panda eyes too quickly.

I wanted to love this, as the color payoff is amazing, but I'll stick to Bobbi Brown's long-wear gel eyeliner as it mostly lasts the whole day for me.

on 1/9/2012 6:14:00 PM

Won't buy it again, but probably good for lots of people. I have deep-set eyes and eyeliner always seems to smudge up on me.

Pro: It's a lovely cream to work with, really black, and easy to use with an angled brush. The packaging is great.

Cons: Smudges onto my top lid after approximately four hours, also runs a bit, tends to crumble/flake into less of a clean line after a few hours as well.

on 6/18/2011 5:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I really wanted a gel/cream based eyeliner. I originally wanted Bobbi Brown but I could not afford it at the time so I got Clinique instead. I like how smooth it is when it goes on and how easy it is to apply. The only reason why I will not be repurchasing it again is that it is not smudge proof at all. About 2 hrs into my night out it started to smudge. Make a waterproof one and I will definitely buy it again.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used the same pot of my MAC Blacktrack Fluidline for about 4 years before it dried out (pretty incredible). Even though it's practically perfect as a gel liner, I felt like I wanted to try out a different brand. I chose Clinique's liner because you get more product (5g over MAC's 3g) for about $1 less. The reviews I saw were pretty good so I decided to try it out. I really dislike this product and I would not recommend it at all. The color is called "True Black", but in reality it comes off as a soft black at first and if you want a true black color you have to layer and build up the product, which can be difficult. This product has a thinner consistency than the fluidlines and in my opinion, that's not a good thing. Sometimes, when I tried to layer the color, it would wipe away the liner I had already applied. I don't have time to keep going over the shaped I've already created each time I need to apply liner. Needless to say, I returned this product and repurchased old faithful: Blacktrack.

I was really excited for this product because i saw many good reviews.
The packaging is pretty good, and the gel goes on my eyes very very smoothly. However it doesnt look really black when i put it on so i have to go back and put more of it a few times. Plus, the brush that comes with is harsh and poor quality. The biggest downfall is that it smudges! Many eyeliners smudge on my eyes, and to my dissapoint, this was no exception. I'd look for something that has greater staying power.

on 2/24/2010 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I know for some people this product is really great but i'm just not that impressed. I find that the color isn't really True Black. It goes on think and the more i try to put on the more it seems to wipe itself away. I sometimes will layer this over a weak kohl liner to make the color stay longer. This cream liner doesn't smudge which is a plus and it does go on pretty smoothly.. flakes a tiny bit towards the end of the day. My main issue is just with the color and the fact that you can get much better cream or gel liners for waaay cheaper.

on 2/16/2009 11:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

i found that this product did go on nicely and it was easy to correct mistakes made while applying it. it is an intense black that is very matte. the only problem that i had with this product is that it flaked off very easily and there are always black flecks on my cheeks if I'm not constantly checking for fallout. i wont be buying this product again.