CLINIQUE Brush-on cream liner in TRUE BLACK

CLINIQUE Brush-on cream liner in TRUE BLACK
Brush-on cream liner in TRUE BLACKBrush-on cream liner in TRUE BLACKBrush-on cream liner in TRUE BLACKBrush-on cream liner in TRUE BLACK

4.4

isododecane, cyclopentasilosane, polyethylene, barium sulfate, trimethylsiloxysillicate, disteardimonium hectorite, propylene carbonate, lecithin, phenyl trimethicone, ethylehexylglycerin, hydrogenated polyisobutene, methicone. May contain: mica, iron oxides, carmine, titanium dioxide, yellow 5 lake, ultramarines, manganese violet, chromium oxide greens, bismuth oxychloride, ferric ferrocyanide, blue 1 lake, chromium hydroxide green.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

So in my search for a great cream liner I purchased this product thinking "it's Clinique, It will be awesome." I love Clinique, it's one of my most coveted makeup and skin care brands, but honestly, this stuff is complete rubbish.
The brush it comes with is so small, you can't use it and expect to get a good application, not to mention the bristles are stiff as a board so all you end up doing is moving the liner around your eye, but never actually getting a smooth application.
Secondly, the liner smudges and smears everywhere. Within the first hour of wear it was transferring onto my upper lid and losing it's color. I was shocked and a bit irritated by the low quality of this eyeliner. I immediately returned it, there is no way I will spend $15-20 on a liner that comes off right after I apply it.

on 6/16/2011 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

OK seriously I dont get why ppl like this...it really isn't truly black and it does not stay put all day....I like my WnW cream liner wayyyy better and it's only $3!!! I'm going back to that..

on 6/1/2011 6:44:00 PM

I'm disappointed by this product. Firstly the brush. I guess for a lot of people this isn't a big deal, judging by the reviews, but I was legitimately ANNOYED when I opened the box and saw the brush! It is COMPLETELY useless. it's so tiny you can barely hold the thing, the brush hairs are way too short and stiff with absolutely no flexibility at all so when you put the brush in the pot it just sticks in the product making big dents in it. it's impossible to "load" the brush and get the product worked into the bristles and impossible to brush it on your skin because the bristles don't move, it's like scraping a damn cocktail stick on your eyelids. fortunately i had other eyeliner brushes that i could use, but it just really annoyed me that they would bother to make this shoddy little brush and include it, especially as the woman who was selling it to me was like "and it includes the brush so you don't need to buy anything extra!!" - some people buying this product might NOT have other eyeliner brushes already so would get home, not be able to use the product properly and have to go out again to buy a brush. i mean it's not the cheapest product ever, so i don't know why they couldn't have made a better brush- you can see just by looking at it just how rubbish it is, so they obviously knew it wouldn't be any good. the maybelline gel eyeliner is like, half the price and they managed to include a GREAT brush so why couldn't clinique? they've obviously marked up the price a bit to reflect the fact that there is a brush included as well, so basically anyone who buys this is paying money for a brush that does not work at all. clinique should not bother putting the brush in if they can't be bothered making one that works with the product and that represents the quality of their products.
ANYWAY enough about the brush. the eyeliner isn't great. when you try to blend it across the lash line the liner that you've put down just... comes off. it transfers like crazy. impossible to smudge. i've never had this problem with cream/gel liners before. this probably sounds like i hate clinique, but actually the opposite is true. i love clinique. i've had/currently have so many of their products. i've used clinique 3 step for years, love clinique mascara, their tinted moisturiser, concealer, PENCIL eyeliner, pressed powder, blusher. i'm just so disappointed by this product because it doesn't match their usual standards.

on 1/2/2010 6:46:00 PM

This is such a disappointment. The cream runs too thin, and it takes several layers to create a true black, and that's impossible to do because when you try to draw over the line with a brush, it smears the line and its just a mess. And it takes forever to dry, so if you try to blink it gets transfered to other parts of my lids. ughh. SO not worth the money. Get blacktrack loreal's hip liner instead.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

clinique products and me are not friends.ever time i say okay ill try this one maybe this time it will be different, but like a bad relationship no matter what you do nothing changes.the liner does go on great smooth sailing but give it an hour and it will be running down your face i used udpp didnt work then i used a concealer didnt work im done i with clinique and this time i mean it

on 12/16/2008 7:39:00 PM

I really thought this liner was going to be great especially since it had a 5 star review on Clinique's web site but it wasnt. I had did some research on clinique's web site prior to purchase because I was looking for a product that didnt smudge, crease, give me racoon eyes, or was not comfortable for contact lens wearers. All the clinique reviews said it was lasting all day and it didnt smudge etc but that wasnt the case when I used it. I didnt even get around to using it more than once with my contacts on because it literally ran everywhere when I used my contact eye drops.

This was my first time using this type of liner but not my first time in a liquid form. I had a hard time and still do applying it especially with the little brush it came with. I find it easier to do a thicker line than a thin one. It takes practice and sometimes takes quite a bit of time to apply.

I apply the liner and allow it to dry and its very dark which i like a lot. Too bad it doesnt stay that way all day or even for 2 hours.

I was applying this liner at 9am and by 11am I had a crease on my upper lid and lots of smudges underneath my eye. I never apply the liner underneath my eyes only on top by the way. So I thought my eye was too oily so I decreased the amount of moisterizer, foundation, and basically anything I would put on the upper and lower eye lids. It got to the point that I wouldnt have anything on at all and I still had the smudging and mess. I didnt even wear my contacts with this product more than once for fear of ruining the contacts so all my testing was done with no contacts on.

So here I go online and chat with a clinique rep and she says oh you need the eye base and the finishing powder because your eyes are too oily. I then go to the clinique counter and was told the same thing. I spend another $14 for the eye base and another $20 on loose powder and tried again. Well after using the eye base and the powder before applying the liner I still had the problem of smudging, flaking, creasing, and racoon eyes in as little as 2 hours.

So, I have come to the conclusion that this brush on liner is not waterproof, smudgeproof, etc. afterall and the reps want to sell you more stuff to get it to work out for you in turn giving them huge commissions.

I will not purchase this item again along with other ones that didnt work and it has given me a distrust of the clinique name that I have trusted for years up until now. It will be going back for a refund.

on 10/2/2008 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

i bought this a few months ago and have only used it a few times. after a few hours of wear it flaked off alot into my eyes, which was kind of painful. it looks nice at first though. i like to pot that it comes in and you get alot for the money.

on 1/21/2008 11:59:00 PM

Fortunately I received this cream liner in a swap. To begin I currently use MAC fluid-lines and BB Gel liners, and I thought Clinique's brush-on Cream liner in True Black would work as well, but it did not :(

The pros of this cream liner is that it is really moist compared to the other pot liners I have used. Unlike MAC's and BB which tend to dry out before I can use the whole pot, everytime I opened Clinique's liner it stayed moist which was easier for me to dab my brush in it lightly to get any product. Also, it seems like you do get alot of product in this pot. Not sure how much it cost, but I beleive it's under $20, so IMO you do get your $$ worth.

It applies to the eye like "butta", really smooth consistency and highly pigmented. I found it easy to blend as it didn't "set" right away, perhaps that's because it is moist. It does live up to it's name ~ True Black, but what I was expecting it to do was to stay-put all day, not budge/ smudge. Unfortunately, it did not perform those tasks :(

That is truly the only con about this cream liner. I applied it like I would my other pot liners, and by the afternoon it smudged where I lined my lower lash line. Thank-goodness I was at home when I noticed the "smudge", as I can't tell you how embarrassing it would have been if I were in public as I rarely check my m/u throughout the day.

So to sum up my review, I give Clinique's brush on cream liner ~ True Black 2 lippies instead of 5 because it does smudge/ budge. I'll stick to MAC and BB as I can confidently apply them in the morning, and not have to check my face as I know they stay put!

on 4/24/2013 2:51:00 PM

Without a primer, the eyeliner is dark and glides on very smoothly without tugging but after a few hours, it starts to smudge and after half a day I end up looking quite raccoon like. With primer, it tends to stay pretty much all day with minimal smudging. The eyeliner also comes with a mini brush, which is decent considering brushes that come with makeup are usually pretty terrible and it's perfect for applying eyeshadow or eyeliner for the lower lash line.
Overall, I would prefer this eyeliner over the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner (which also smudged on me), just because it's cheaper and you get more product.

on 12/1/2012 4:03:00 PM

Pros:
Lasts all day
NEVER dries out (even left the pot open by accident overnight)
Nice colour
Creamy, doesn't tug skin with application
Price
Can achieve really subtle liner look.

Cons:
Very creamy/slick which makes applying it a bit more difficult than thicker, stiffer liners like fluidline. Gotta use a more steady hand.
Not the blackest black, but still nice.